Texas BBQ

Washpark

On August 24, 2019 at 6:37 AM, AustinMT said:

And, oh Champ, what are the round white things your food is served on in the photos on the Buck’s thread?

You might need to run your S-meter into the shop for a tune up. 

Champ has bragged on his help's proficiency in "plating".

I took it home (whole, 1 1/2 lbs) and sliced it, and put some on my plate.  I am sure he uses paper.  My point was the bbq, not the serving method.
And yes, at home, I use plates.    Philistines...
And, oh Champ, what are the round white things your food is served on in the photos on the Buck’s thread?

I was being, uhm, sanctimonious in my smartassey response above. Folks in the know know that I invented the concept of plated barbeque. Jeez!

Stopped at Bodacious in Longview the other day. The place was legit. Brisket was great and had a nice peppery bark. I really loved the ribs, they had a little bit of spice to them. Housemade sausage was ok. Not the best I've had, but better than most places. Did not try the sauce (they threw that in with the tray, it was definitely not needed). 4b9e687a1702170e33fd99c306c3a940.jpg

• Like 3

Does Terry Black's typically run out of brisket or ribs on a Friday afternoon? My airbnb for the LSU game is walking distance and I've never been, but I don't land until 12:30. 

If that’s the blue/gray duplex just down the block it’s really nice. Stayed there for a dad’s weekend last year.

3 hours ago, utee94 said:

They're an actual restaurant with actual restaurant hours, open til 9:30 on Fridays.  They won't likely be running out of anything important before dinner service begins.  

This.  But given that there will be a shitload of people in town for the game, there's an outside chance they may temporarily run out of this or that.

8 hours ago, AustinMT said:

Stopped by Hays Co on the drive back from SA to Austin today.  Always good.

I left this on the paper just for Champ

spacer.png

Looks like some green beans got in the mac, but the brisket looks quite smashable.  The sausage looks delicious, but I think about 90% of BBQ sausage looks delicious.

17 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

About time they got around to this. I had signed up for the information list over a year ago. Really excited to see what he comes up with. That prototype looks great. 

Anyone else interested in one of these? I've learned to cook on a WSM and want to get wood-burning offset for the backyard. I've flirted with the idea of building one but will probably end up doing this or a Klose. I'm in Northern Virginia so getting one of these up here is going to be an issue too. 

Saw a Pinkerton reference in this Eater article. I will have to try this sandwich.

Ike's Love and Sandwiches just brought its messy, cult carbs to Houston for the first time, and the San Francisco-born brand already plans to roll out three more area locations.

The newly opened arrival (1051 Heights Boulevard) is a partnership with former Houston Astros Minor League pitcher Mark Appel, who’s also a Houston native. The fast-casual eatery commands long lines for its hundreds of sandwich combinations, including meat, vegan, vegetarian and gluten-free options, served between Dutch Crunch bread and slathered with its “Dirty Secret” sauce that hasn’t changed since day one.

...Houston’s location will also get its very own themed sandwiches: the “Grand Pinkerton” (Pinkerton brisket, pastrami, Pinkerton BBQ aioli and provolone cheese)

https://houston.eater.com/2019/8/27/20835431/ikes-sandwiches-houston-restaurant-openings

Edited by Storm the Field

Stopped at Bodacious in Longview the other day. The place was legit. Brisket was great and had a nice peppery bark. I really loved the ribs, they had a little bit of spice to them. Housemade sausage was ok. Not the best I've had, but better than most places. Did not try the sauce (they threw that in with the tray, it was definitely not needed). 4b9e687a1702170e33fd99c306c3a940.jpg
I hit up Bodacious a few months and was curious if the ribs always had that little kick

They were great! As was everything else of course

On 8/29/2019 at 9:16 AM, Storm the Field said:

Saw a Pinkerton reference in this Eater article. I will have to try this sandwich.

https://houston.eater.com/2019/8/27/20835431/ikes-sandwiches-houston-restaurant-openings

Wait wtf Ike's is in Texas now? I remember growing up it was my favorite sandwich place back on California. Damon Bruce with Bacon was my go to order.

2 hours ago, Skipper said:

What time do you locals estimate I would need to be in line at LA BBQ or Mickelwaiths on Fri to not wait too long?   Open to other suggestions as well.  Going to be in North Austin if anything new that is closer that you would recommend.

LA Barbecue will have a long wait, whereas Micklethwait's won't be that bad.  Kerlin is another east Austin spot you can get good barbecue without much of a wait.  If you are closer to Pflugerville, Champ's recommendation of Brotherton's place is a good one.  Northwest Austin - Interstellar off of 620 is pretty good.  I prefer Micklethwait over the others, but all are worth trying.

10 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

LA Barbecue will have a long wait, whereas Micklethwait's won't be that bad.  Kerlin is another east Austin spot you can get good barbecue without much of a wait.  If you are closer to Pflugerville, Champ's recommendation of Brotherton's place is a good one.  Northwest Austin - Interstellar off of 620 is pretty good.  I prefer Micklethwait over the others, but all are worth trying.

Yeah, I'll be damn close to Interstellar.  May just try it out if I don't feel like driving to Pflugerville or driving + waiting somewhere downtown.

1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Pinkerton’s did right by me today. I was hoping I wouldn’t have to give a second strike. Brisket was fantastic.

Grant has been out of town a bunch the last month.  He is back now.  That helps.  I had a bad couple ribs last month too. And I’ve never had that. Ever there.  And I’m in there once a week.