Texas BBQ

Washpark

Helberg's catered an event for us recently in Waco.  I was excited  to try it after the Texas Monthly article.  The dinner was scheduled for 7pm and they had already run out of food at 6:45.  It took them an hour to get more food brought in, and they doled out 1 slice of brisket and one slice of sausage per plate--guess they were scared of running out again.  Brisket was good, sausage was bad.  Beans had no seasoning.  They had a cold corn salad that was good.  How do you run out of food for a catering gig when you know the head count in advance?  This was for 125-150 people, not a large catering job.  I will try their food truck to see if it is any better.  If their catered Q that I ate is what it takes to get in Texas Monthly as one of the best new BBQ joints, then I belong on the damned cover.

Went to Flores today...apparently everyone is trying to go before they move. Line was to the door at open and saw quite a few walk up and leave. Others were saying how they never have to wait

I had their housemade spicy pickles(very good) wirh some sides of brisket,turkey,ribs and regular sausage

Everything was top notch including the peach cobbler (in container). Picked up one of the ribs and the meat just fell right off the bone.

If you want to try it out before move this weekend get there about a hour before close just to be safe...when i was ordering at noonish they were already on last brisketc0f282d77a61e2fa2346099da32fad27.jpg7580d615fe99d30ab6f6bf63b7c11768.jpg
Just wanted to bump my OG flores down for comparison...disregard
  • Like 1

Man I gotta admit, I get a chuckle when I read some of this shit folks are cooking nowadays.
Like that chappele bit about crazy food dishes... cheeks? Barbacoa? I mean barbacoa is good but its not some mystical dish.
BBQ used to be brisket, ribs, sausage, chicken. Now a lot of places have gone Brobq.
But Im a stupid old get off my lawn asshole, so what do I know. Any who back to bbq.

• Like 4

FW is about to have a plethora of good bbq options. Craft bbq has absolutely blown up across the state. Errybody wants to play bbq cook these days
I know exactly what you mean. I recentky heard some big shot bbq asshole is going to Galveston and taking over the local diner like he is God's gift to bbq or something.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 5/17/2019 at 11:52 PM, williemackgarza said:

Man I gotta admit, I get a chuckle when I read some of this shit folks are cooking nowadays.
Like that chappele bit about crazy food dishes... cheeks? Barbacoa? I mean barbacoa is good but its not some mystical dish.
BBQ used to be brisket, ribs, sausage, chicken. Now a lot of places have gone Brobq.
But Im a stupid old get off my lawn asshole, so what do I know. Any who back to bbq.

Shitting on the beef cheeks at Leroy & Lewis is a fucking terrible decision. those are, not kidding, some of the best BBQ I have had period. they do serve brisket on Saturdays only for what it is worth.

If you want to stick to just the holy trinity, good luck. With as much competition as there is out there in 2019 you have to have some kind of bit or gimmick to help bring people in. Even Bodacious in Longview (#4 overall) has their sausages and burnt ends, but when the most recent BBQ list came out they had exactly 1 actual side (potato salad + free beans), no desert and 3 drink choices (water/tea/lemonade.) It is *really* tough to get any traction if the only thing you serve is brisket, ribs, sausage and turkey. Look at how many spots in the top 10 or even top 50 were like that.

If you think it is possible to open a BBQ joint in Austin only serving brisket, ribs and sausage you are going to have a trailer or building up for sale very quickly. 

(also, it is #NewSchoolBBQ not BroBQ. for God's sake, the Lewis in Leroy & Lewis is Sawyer Lewis!)

Edited by NoName
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Both Tacos said:

Texas Monthly is putting on a bbq bracket for the Top 25 newest bbq joints.
https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/vote-for-your-favorite-texas-bbq-in-the-2019-readers-choice-bracket/

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Since I haven't tried all of the new 25, it didn't seem fair to vote - but I did anyway.  I have never had a bad bite of barbecue from the three I selected:  Brotherton's Black Iron Barbecue, Leroy & Lewis Barbecue, and . . .(ducking). . . John Mueller's Black Box Barbecue.

Three from the Top 50:  2M Smokehouse, The Pit Room, and Valentina's Tex Mex BBQ.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

Since I haven't tried all of the new 25, it didn't seem fair to vote - but I did anyway.  I have never had a bad bite of barbecue from the three I selected:  Brotherton's Black Iron Barbecue, Leroy & Lewis Barbecue, and . . .(ducking). . . John Mueller's Black Box Barbecue.

Three from the Top 50:  2M Smokehouse, The Pit Room, and Valentina's Tex Mex BBQ.

I did not vote for Black Box but I am with you, their has been excellent every time I have been there (probably 4 or 5 since they opened) - and I love pepper so their rub obviously my kind of thing. 

1 hour ago, Deej said:

They needed to burn those ribs a little longer.

Lots of sugar in the rub and plenty of heat gets you this.  I don't know if that was their particular recipe for success, but I've seen it a hundred times.