Texas BBQ

Washpark

3 hours ago, RabidM said:

Schmidt doesn't cook anymore. They stopped a few years ago. They drive their BBQ in... I don't know who their supplier is.  It's changed at least once.  

So why wouldn’t they get it from Kreuz or Smitty’s?  Odd. 

9 hours ago, ChampKind said:

Hometown Barbecue is legit. Its in Brooklyn

Have heard great things.  From people I trust...not some stupid New Yorker who wouldn’t know good BBQ if it punched them in the face.  Still can’t see going to eat BBQ there when visiting from Texas.  I’d eat the shit outa it if I lived there though

1 hour ago, Landomatic said:

Have heard great things.  From people I trust...not some stupid New Yorker who wouldn’t know good BBQ if it punched them in the face.  Still can’t see going to eat BBQ there when visiting from Texas.  I’d eat the shit outa it if I lived there though

no need to travel to nyc.  it’s probably just a poor man’s louie mueller’s. 

Anybody catch the WFAA bit on Tender Smokehouse in Celina? Any of the Shag experts been there?

They are opening a location in Frisco where 3 stacks was. Hope they are good. 3 stacks was awful and not too impressed with the Hutchins Frisco location.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On 4/6/2019 at 6:31 PM, XYZ said:

Is NYC BBQ a thing?

It’s only a thing because because folks from real BBQ mecca took their craft there. I’d guess there might be a few legit places but the sum total of the copy can’t be better than the sum total of the original. 

3 hours ago, NIUHuskies said:

Also, when Black's decide to franchise itself? See that they are now in New Braunfels, Sand Marcos, and Austin.

is it franchised?  I think they drive meat up from lockhart daily for the one in austin.  or they used to.  thought it was same people running it. 

9 hours ago, futureman said:

is it franchised?  I think they drive meat up from lockhart daily for the one in austin.  or they used to.  thought it was same people running it. 

Yep. They just did it to fuck with their nephews who opened Terry Black's.

Edited by CooterBrown

9 hours ago, futureman said:

Sounds like Bill Millers.....

Sorry to say but that just makes a  BBQ restaurant just another restaurant.   I REAL BBQ joint smells like one.

Bill Millers does have a decent salad and chicken strip basket.   My former office was  a couple blocks for one and when I needed a very quick and some what affordable lunch, I'd get a salad.  

went to leeann's during sxsw.  waited in line over 2 hours but damn it was impressive.  haven't been since she opened the brick and mortar.  last time I was at her trailer I don't remember the meat being all that great, but the side were extremely good.  this time the side were sub par but all the meats were fantastic.  brisket in the tops of the city, ribs also excellent.  sausage, meh. 

today I was downtown so stopped in coopers for the first time they opened.  had heard bad things but it was outstanding.  got the sirloin, prime rib, cabrito, and brisket.   not a bad bite anywhere.  top notch.  one thing I can say is that the pitmaster is as rude and put out here as the ones in llano, mason, and junction.  they must train them the same.  and another thing, I should have learned my lesson from being a veteran of the llano location, that sauce they dip the meat in is way too salty.  opt out when they offer that to you.  one other thing: free beans.  you got to give it to coopers's for that business plan.  love it.

5 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

it means its good.   one of the best in the city.   there should be a competition for best brisket.  i'm not sure franklin would win it.

just because you got some good slices off a brisket that happened to be a good one doesn’t unseat franklin.  ffs

2 minutes ago, futureman said:

just because you got some good slices off a brisket that happened to be a good one doesn’t unseat franklin.  ffs

franklin may have been unseated years ago.  valentina's might be the best brisket in town.  that would be my bet to win this mythical competition.   all i'm saying is la is doing good shit over there. 

3 hours ago, thrillhammer said:

it means its good.   one of the best in the city.   there should be a competition for best brisket.  i'm not sure franklin would win it.

I am.  

LA BBQ uses a weird rub that simply tastes bad.  Last two times I bothered to check it was on both their brisket and their beef rib, which were cooked to perfection, but the flavor is so far off it makes the whole thing pointless.  Which is too bad.

12 hours ago, thrillhammer said:

went to leeann's during sxsw.  waited in line over 2 hours but damn it was impressive.  haven't been since she opened the brick and mortar.  last time I was at her trailer I don't remember the meat being all that great, but the side were extremely good.  this time the side were sub par but all the meats were fantastic.  brisket in the tops of the city, ribs also excellent.  sausage, meh. 

today I was downtown so stopped in coopers for the first time they opened.  had heard bad things but it was outstanding.  got the sirloin, prime rib, cabrito, and brisket.   not a bad bite anywhere.  top notch.  one thing I can say is that the pitmaster is as rude and put out here as the ones in llano, mason, and junction.  they must train them the same.  and another thing, I should have learned my lesson from being a veteran of the llano location, that sauce they dip the meat in is way too salty.  opt out when they offer that to you.  one other thing: free beans.  you got to give it to coopers's for that business plan.  love it.

Having them dip the meat is a rookie mistake. Meat is already salty enough. If you need sauce, you can get some on the side when you get your beans.

Don't be afraid to ask them to pull a fresh brisket out if you don't like the looks of what is left out when you order. They have always been happy to do that for me.

In Austin with nothing on the schedule today. Want to try somewhere I haven't been yet but also not interested in a line.

Places I've done: Franklin's, Lamberts, Stiles Switch, Black's

Thinking of either Micklethwait or Leroy Lewis.

Thoughts?

Valentinas is a little far btw. 

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

In Austin with nothing on the schedule today. Want to try somewhere I haven't been yet but also not interested in a line.

Places I've done: Franklin's, Lamberts, Stiles Switch, Black's

Thinking of either Micklethwait or Leroy Lewis.

Thoughts?

Valentinas is a little far btw. 

stiles switch would be my choice of those without a line.  maybe terry blacks.   actually, coopers didn't have a line yesterday, and i'm telling you it was exceptional

4 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

stiles switch would be my choice of those without a line.  maybe terry blacks.   actually, coopers didn't have a line yesterday, and i'm telling you it was exceptional

Coopers is where I'm going. Hoping to pony up to the bar.