Texas BBQ

Washpark

So a couple of guys at work wanted to try Feges. I had heard good things, so I was down for a new place. I hadn’t been in Greenway Plaza since 2008 when I worked in Greenway 5. Man, did they remodel it well. Kind of made me wish I worked there instead of downtown. Anyways...

1/2 lbs brisket (didn’t ask if I wanted lean or fatty/moist)
1/4 lbs of sausage (hidden under brisket)
1/4 lbs boudin

0bQUSIpY_o.jpeg

All of it was good and I would recommend it if you are in the greenway buildings, but honestly it wasn’t better than Buck’s, Pinkerton’s, Blood Bros. In fact, I don’t understand how they made the TM 25 list and Buck’s did not. Again, it was very good, but not great.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

So a couple of guys at work wanted to try Feges. I had heard good things, so I was down for a new place. I hadn’t been in Greenway Plaza since 2008 when I worked in Greenway 5. Man, did they remodel it well. Kind of made me wish I worked there instead of downtown. Anyways...

1/2 lbs brisket (didn’t ask if I wanted lean or fatty/moist)
1/4 lbs of sausage (hidden under brisket)
1/4 lbs boudin

0bQUSIpY_o.jpeg

All of it was good and I would recommend it if you are in the greenway buildings, but honestly it wasn’t better than Buck’s, Pinkerton’s, Blood Bros. In fact, I don’t understand how they made the TM 25 list and Buck’s did not. Again, it was very good, but not great.

Their sausage has greatly improved. I might try the boudin tomorrow. The beef rib is darned good, but it's so big it'll give you the meat sweats. Their baby back ribs are pretty inconsistent, it swings from one of the best ribs I've ever eaten to very meh. The brisket is always good.

The whole chicken is the best I've had. I need to confirm it, but I'm pretty sure they smoke it using the beer can method. It's so juicy you don't need to put sauce on it. Love the dry rub too. 

I feel very fornunate to work near a Rice Box, Feges and a Burger Chan. Yes parking in Greenway is a pain. It wouldn't hurt anybody if they had one hour visitor lot. 

Their sausage has greatly improved. I might try the boudin tomorrow. The beef rib is darned good, but it's so big it'll give you the meat sweats. Their baby back ribs are pretty inconsistent, it swings from one of the best ribs I've ever eaten to very meh. The brisket is always good.
The whole chicken is the best I've had. I need to confirm it, but I'm pretty sure they smoke it using the beer can method. It's so juicy you don't need to put sauce on it. Love the dry rub too. 
I feel very fornunate to work near a Rice Box, Feges and a Burger Chan. Yes parking in Greenway is a pain. It wouldn't hurt anybody if they had one hour visitor lot. 

You sure you’re thinking of the right place? Buncha stuff you mentioned isn’t even on their menu

2 hours ago, ChampKind said:

They do st louis spares, not baby backs. Hence my query. And I don’t recall seeing chicken on the menu, but that may be bc I don’t order chicken at bbq joints.

Boudin and Chicken on the menu

Have offered beef ribs at least twice in the past

Had baby back ribs

HTH.

Edited by relapse98
  • Like 1

I stood in line at the one in Killeen a couple of years ago when they first opened. Several people waiting for them to open, they wouldn't open until the clock struck whatever it was supposed to be. Asked a bunch of questions and they seemed pretty clueless about barbecue, so we decided not to wait in line another 20 minutes.

You realize that Feges BBQ, as an actual operating restaurant, has only been in existence since March of 2018, do you not? So the fact that Patrick did baby backs or beef ribs at a pop-up in 2015 or 2016 isn’t really relevant to this conversation.

The chicken thing I’ll own. Never seen it on their menu. And I go there fairly often.

So I’ll stand corrected. Guess you showed me.

i mean, i am happy to listen to guys more on the cutting edge to follow for BBQ - seriously. let's see some names/accounts to follow!

Not saying this guy is on the cutting edge at all, but I like to follow his Instagram. I kind of figured he might be one of you fucktards.

http:// https://instagram.com/nosides_nosauce?utm_source=ig_profile_share&igshid=c6j7x7ae93nl

i mean, i am happy to listen to guys more on the cutting edge to follow for BBQ - seriously. let's see some names/accounts to follow!

I don’t think it’s too bold to say that ShaggyBevo was a major contributor the survival and early success of Franklin in the trailer days. When lines began to form half the people in line were high volume shag posters. We got there before Texas Monthly did, which at that time officed essentially across the street.
  • Like 4

I don’t think it’s too bold to say that ShaggyBevo was a major contributor the survival and early success of Franklin in the trailer days. When lines began to form half the people in line were high volume shag posters. We got there before Texas Monthly did, which at that time officed essentially across the street.

I mean, obviously that is how this all goes down: local joint opens and starts making good bbq. Locals eat there and rave about it. Eventually it gets regional attention and then publications and restaurant reviewers that are not local finally get there. So yeah, unless Daniel Vaughn can clone himself about 50 times over, he can not be on the cutting edge of every joint that opens.

Sites like this, where people know what good bbq is and have pitmasters posting let us know about a lot of places not local to everyone before TM does, but this site isn’t visited by many in the grand scheme of things. Go to a forum like City Data or app like Nextdoor and you will get more suggestions for Spring Creek than Buck’s, Pinkerton’s, 2M, Valentina’s, etc.

6 hours ago, ChampKind said:

Everyone has their favorites. And most “bloggers/influencers” tend not to venture far from their own list. Pay attention to what they post and you’ll soon figure out who is on those lists.

for sure, i just want to find out about the new/good shit and go there...

7 hours ago, NoName said:

@talesfromthepits

Texas BBQ Treasure Hunt

@thesmokingho

@TXAg86 (twitter and insta)

@bbqsnob (Daniel Vaughn's twitter and insta handle, where he chronicles his bbq stops)

@costofgoodstold

That will get you quite aways down the road

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Longhornfan1024 said:

Went to LeRoy and Lewis for lunch on Saturday and they had pulled lamb that was freaking insane.  I hope it's a regular on the menu. 

ruby’s used to put out some great pulled lamb every few months.  may it rest in peace.

15 hours ago, ChampKind said:

@talesfromthepits

Texas BBQ Treasure Hunt

@thesmokingho

@TXAg86 (twitter and insta)

@bbqsnob (Daniel Vaughn's twitter and insta handle, where he chronicles his bbq stops)

@costofgoodstold

That will get you quite aways down the road

thank you very much, glad that the only "new" to me account is the last one!

3 hours ago, NoName said:

thank you very much, glad that the only "new" to me account is the last one!

Cost of Goods has a pretty good podcast. Just aired an hour+ with Gatlin's. My only issue with them is the production quality is fairly poor but getting a little better as they do more.

Dave Grohl showed up at Stanley's for some BBQ last night. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bw8jUaWFKEC/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1fsfa3cnvd10s

Interesting. I had to look and see why he was in Tyler. Apparently he was there filming a documentary on mother’s who raised famous musicians. He was there visiting Maranda Lambert’s mother who lives in Lindale. That would be pretty wild to see Dave Grohl in Tyler.
  • Like 1

I love being on a small town facebook news page and people start arguing over BBQ.  They're arguing in Lampasas about the best bbq in town.  It's all bad.  The only thing decent is Nothin' Butts, but they only serve like every other Saturday out of a trailer at their house. 

On 5/2/2019 at 6:09 PM, EE2B said:

Interesting. I had to look and see why he was in Tyler. Apparently he was there filming a documentary on mother’s who raised famous musicians. He was there visiting Maranda Lambert’s mother who lives in Lindale. That would be pretty wild to see Dave Grohl in Tyler.

I was in Austin this week and haven't talked to any of my friends over there about it.  The owners are big into music as are a lot of the employees.  I was wondering what he was doing in Tyler.  I know they were pumped that he stopped in.

I was in Austin this week and haven't talked to any of my friends over there about it.  The owners are big into music as are a lot of the employees.  I was wondering what he was doing in Tyler.  I know they were pumped that he stopped in.
I've met the owner a few times. He was Kacy Musgraves' drummer when she was first getting started in East Texas.

49 minutes ago, DallasHorn26 said:
1 hour ago, dcbc said:

I've met the owner a few times. He was Kacy Musgraves' drummer when she was first getting started in East Texas.

Nick also was the drummer for a band called the Greyhounds when they were based out of Tyler (they're in Austin now).  I met him through a coworker when I first moved to Tyler, and she told me about this band some of her friends were in.  This is before he took over Stanley's by a few years.  These days, his kids go to the same school as my kids.  His wife is a wonderful person, too.  They do a lot for the community.  Very kind and generous folks.  Cool as hell, too.

His current band, Big Funky Cloud, is good show. 

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 1

I ate at Helberg’s on Wednesday, it was good but not out of this world good. I had the lean brisket which needed more salt. They had two different types of sausage, one was a beef sausage and one was a pablano and cheese. The beef one was very greasy and had lots of seasoning that I assume was chili powder, it was over seasoned to me. The poblano one was better to me. 

Nick also was the drummer for a band called the Greyhounds when they were based out of Tyler (they're in Austin now).  I met him through a coworker when I first moved to Tyler, and she told me about this band some of her friends were in.  This is before he took over Stanley's by a few years.  These days, his kids go to the same school as my kids.  His wife is a wonderful person, too.  They do a lot for the community.  Very kind and generous folks.  Cool as hell, too.
His current band, Big Funky Cloud, is good show. 
That's awesome. I always thought they seemed like good people when I'd eat there. I worked in an office across the street from there for Mother Francis and would have a brother in law at least once a week. Damn, I miss that place.
  • Like 1

Interstellar BBQ:

Stopped by today and picked up to go.  Tried the moist brisket, beef rib (seems to be a Saturday special), pork ribs and pulled pork (sausage had started late and wasn’t quite ready).  Sides were beans (ranch-style beans, which are free), smoked scalloped potatoes and Mac and cheese.  All of the meats were good — brisket and beef rib were smokey and tender with a nice peppery rub.  Pork ribs had a really goos spicy/sweet rub. Pulled pork was tender. The brisket is prime, and the pulled pork is Duroc.  The ranch style beans were a nice change from the usual pinto beans you normally get.  Smoked scalloped potatoes tasted, well, smokey.  Mac and cheese was fine but nothing special.  Will go back.

imgur