Texas BBQ

Washpark

20 hours ago, thrillhammer said:

don't remember a bar, but wasn't looking for one at the time anyway.  bbq and bars reminds me of freedmen's.  that was the best if you wanted good quality of both. 

“was”? Did it close?

21 hours ago, thrillhammer said:

don't remember a bar, but wasn't looking for one at the time anyway.  bbq and bars reminds me of freedmen's.  that was the best if you wanted good quality of both. 

The bar takes up the entire front room when you walk in the door. You really weren't looking.

On 4/20/2019 at 11:43 AM, ztejas said:

In Austin with nothing on the schedule today. Want to try somewhere I haven't been yet but also not interested in a line.

Places I've done: Franklin's, Lamberts, Stiles Switch, Black's

Thinking of either Micklethwait or Leroy Lewis.

Thoughts?

Valentinas is a little far btw. 

i know i am late, but LeRoy & Lewis is fantastic, as is Mickelthwait. i will and do always rec LeRoy & Lewis if the person likes to try some new stuff (don't do brisket every day) but those guys should 100% get way more pub than they do. 

Edited by NoName
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, NoName said:

i know i am late, but LeRoy & Lewis is fantastic, as is Mickelthwait. i will and do always rec LeRoy & Lewis if the person likes to try some new stuff (don't do brisket every day) but those guys should 100% get way more pub than they do. 

Evan has that beef cheek dialed in so well that he doesn't need to cook brisket every day. And he just made the top spot on the Texas Monthly Top 25 New and Improved list. If you are in Austin and haven't been to see him yet, you really should. Dude is a fantastic cook.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/top-25-new-barbecue-joints-texas/?fbclid=IwAR2cKe8Fbl3G8pZQmNDZpUymrczUtLt6sytGpJcsGbNlwoK1Xr7DV3ot_28

5 hours ago, ChampKind said:

Evan has that beef cheek dialed in so well that he doesn't need to cook brisket every day. And he just made the top spot on the Texas Monthly Top 25 New and Improved list. If you are in Austin and haven't been to see him yet, you really should. Dude is a fantastic cook.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/top-25-new-barbecue-joints-texas/?fbclid=IwAR2cKe8Fbl3G8pZQmNDZpUymrczUtLt6sytGpJcsGbNlwoK1Xr7DV3ot_28

From that list, Black Board BBQ in Sisterdale is legit. Their Texas Tater Chips are delicious. I had the St. Louis Ribs. The meat had no tug off the bone. If you are going to Lucknebach or Fredericksburg, take a side trip to Sisterdale.

• Like 1

Cooper's downtown Austin

20190422-144003.jpg

Not a damn thing wrong with any of it. They were out of pork ribs but the bark on the beef rib was prob the best thing on the plate.

Wasnt going to get any sides but I'm a sucker for greens stewed alongside pork products.

Def a cool spot and yes they do have a full bar but you have to go through the line to get your food before you sit down.

They will be docked points for having ketchup and mustard on the table, but gain points for the complementary pinto beans set up in a huge self serve pot. 

Also not a fan of their au jus style sauce. If I'm going to sauce up a foldover I prefer a sauce that's a little thicker.

Edited by ztejas

I stopped at Coach's in McGregor a couple of weeks ago. FIrst time I've been there in a few years, when it seemed to go downhill a bit. I was very pleased with the ribs they served me, which were baby backs. The brisket tasted good but was cut wrong and didn't really seem like brisket, very white lean meat (though I asked for something on the fatty side). They have a really tasty combination of rub and smoke, great bark.

coachs

If you ever get stuck out that way it's definitely worth a stop.

I must have driven right by that Helberg place on the way to the lake but never noticed it.

Edited by DougO
  • Like 1

Texas Monthly's Top 25 New BBQ Joints in Texas
https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/top-25-new-barbecue-joints-texas/

Smoke Sessions BBQ that I've talked about previously was 1 of 2 NBA joints in North Texas to make the list.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Damn auto correct. BBQ not NBA.

I was trying to figure out where in Ft. Worth that Panther City BBQ is located and noticed just down the block the Jesus also has a BBQ joint. You know you have some good BBQ when it is better than what Jesus makes.
Going to have to try them out as I've been hearing they put out some good stuff. cdd9a5bef179a6ee8e113f7590f97f88.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

20 hours ago, ChampKind said:

100% agree with this, that beef cheek was seriously fantastic. i would recommend it to anyone!

14 hours ago, NIUHuskies said:

From that list, Black Board BBQ in Sisterdale is legit. Their Texas Tater Chips are delicious. I had the St. Louis Ribs. The meat had no tug off the bone. If you are going to Lucknebach or Fredericksburg, take a side trip to Sisterdale.

I had a subpar experience there but it was just a couple of months after they opened and it looks like I may have just hit them on a bad afternoon...it's 100% on my list of places to hit up this summer!

Edited by NoName

16 hours ago, DougO said:

I stopped at Coach's in McGregor a couple of weeks ago. FIrst time I've been there in a few years, when it seemed to go downhill a bit. I was very pleased with the ribs they served me, which were baby backs. The brisket tasted good but was cut wrong and didn't really seem like brisket, very white lean meat (though I asked for something on the fatty side). They have a really tasty combination of rub and smoke, great bark.

coachs

I must have driven right by that Helberg place on the way to the lake but never noticed it.

not a fan of Coach's...too many iterations instead of taking the time to perfect their craft.

the Helberg i hit is on Austin and 23rd, their truck in front of Pinewood Coffee.  their store is located past twin bridges going toward Meridian, right past the 4-way stop between China Spring and Crawford.  so you wouldn't pass it coming through Waco toward the lake.

i'm hitting that pastrami beef cheek for lunch today tho...

btw, Helberg has full racks of spares for $25.00/rack on Mondays...halfs for $12.00.  deal of the century...get you some of this...

55816620_2145911165457322_86419696970440

56816072_2168341866547585_12456362936107

Edited by Kyrie Eleison

2 hours ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

the Helberg i hit is on Austin and 23rd, their truck in front of Pinewood Coffee.  their store is located past twin bridges going toward Meridian, right past the 4-way stop between China Spring and Crawford.  so you wouldn't pass it coming through Waco toward the lake.

Yeah, that's exactly where I was, through Crawford. I was going to the far reaches of the lake towards the wetlands.

On 4/22/2019 at 3:13 PM, Kyrie Eleison said:

Waco had 2 make the list, both of which are within a mile of my office.  Guess always nails it, and Helberg's pastrami beef cheeks mentioned in the article are fucking legit.

Will try to have lunch at Helberg’s tomorrow, I eat at Guess almost weekly, his lean brisket is incredible. 

• Like 1

I owed a buddy a dinner and tonight was the night.  I head to his place to pick up him and his girl.  On my way he texts that she was craving BBQ and was set on it.  I said great.  He then texted she was set on Spring Creek.  Did I mention it was my turn to pay.  All i could think of was how many times i have posted to others "Get better friends".  FML.

6 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

I owed a buddy a dinner and tonight was the night.  I head to his place to pick up him and his girl.  On my way he texts that she was craving BBQ and was set on it.  I said great.  He then texted she was set on Spring Creek.  Did I mention it was my turn to pay.  All i could think of was how many times i have posted to others "Get better friends".  FML.

You should have gotten in a car wreck on the way to his place...

Typical wait time at Blood Bros in Bellaire? What should I order? 
Before anybody asks, yes I've eaten at Buck's BBQ in Eado. 

I have only been once and it was before they got the triple shot of recent press. We got there just after 11 on a Thursday and only had a few people in front of us. Not sure how it is now nor on a weekend.

Why does LeRoy and Lewis get so much hype when they only cook brisket once a week?

If Snow’s can make the number 1 spot being opened 1 day a week then Leroy and Lewis deserve to be in discussion because everything they make is next level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Don’t know if it’s been mentioned but Mum Foods Pastrami, Beef Rib, and Sausage at the Mueller, Lakeline, and Barton Creek farmers market on Saturday & Sundays have been legit. They just opened a delicatessen at the old Eastside Cafe on Manor Road. No BBQ there for now but you can get it at the farmer’s markets. Daniel Vaughn wrote an article about their pastrami. Give it a go if you haven’t yet!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/mum-foods-pastrami/amp/

12 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Why does LeRoy and Lewis get so much hype when they only cook brisket once a week?

The Beef Cheek is as good as brisket just about anywhere else. Not even kidding.

Pulled Whole Hog, Barbacoa, Sausage is all excellent

Sides are non traditional but still extraordinary (#NewSchoolBBQ)

I was with you on not getting it until I went for the first time. Those Beef Cheeks are amazing.

2 hours ago, NoName said:

The Beef Cheek is as good as brisket just about anywhere else. Not even kidding.

Pulled Whole Hog, Barbacoa, Sausage is all excellent

Sides are non traditional but still extraordinary (#NewSchoolBBQ)

I was with you on not getting it until I went for the first time. Those Beef Cheeks are amazing.

Listen to this guy, he's pre-med.

In a market that is very near peak saturation, everyone is looking for a way to differentiate their brand. Evan has found a way. His beef cheek is one of the very best bites of barbeque I've ever had. His brisket is finominal too, but everyone cooks brisket. Not everyone cooks beef cheek. And NOBODY cooks its as well as Evan does. It's that good. His sides and his dish presentation are very chef-ey, but it all fits together in a cohesive manner.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ChampKind said:

Listen to this guy, he's pre-med.

In a market that is very near peak saturation, everyone is looking for a way to differentiate their brand. Evan has found a way. His beef cheek is one of the very best bites of barbeque I've ever had. His brisket is finominal too, but everyone cooks brisket. Not everyone cooks beef cheek. And NOBODY cooks its as well as Evan does. It's that good. His sides and his dish presentation are very chef-ey, but it all fits together in a cohesive manner.

I don't remember where I read it @ChampKind (maybe here? maybe from you?) but somewhere I read that one of the reasons beef cheek wasn't everywhere is that it can be hard to source good ones?

either way, if you want both brisket and beef cheeks just go on Saturday. otherwise, go and marvel how a place that is that damn good doesn't have a crazy line. plus the location is cool and there are other food truck options for people who don't want BBQ. it is fantastic. 

my only complaint is that when I am driving through South Austin is is generally before 11 when they open.

Seriously though, it is fantastic. 

Now if only I could find a way to convince them to move to Fredericksburg. *sigh*

Yeah.  Don't know these guys from Adam, but just happy to have another bbq joint here in town.  Especially with those hours, will be curious to see what the quality is like at 7pm when I'm rolling into town from work, but I'll give it a shot.  Just ain't got the pocket book for Louie Mueller's, I'm a Vencil Mares man myself.

On 4/22/2019 at 4:15 PM, DougO said:

coachs

Helberg’s location on HWy 6 isn’t up and running yet I don’t think.   They’re remodeling it right now.   Gotta go by the truck for now