Texas BBQ

Washpark

15 hours ago, ChampKind said:

There are areas of Houston that are saturated (Heights/Washington/Montrose/Downtown, Katy, Spring/Cypress/Tomball). Then there areas that are not. Willow was in the Heights, where he had to compete with Pinkerton/Gatlin/Truth. All three of those are TM Top50. Is Willow their equal as far as product? I, and many food writers, would argue yes. But the average consumer is gonna go to the big name spots. Especially when they have their own building. Houston really hasn’t embraced food trucks like Austin has, so if you operate out of a truck in an already cluttered market then you are a distinct disadvantage.

katy?  what's out there?

55 minutes ago, NOMAAA said:

giphy.gif

Well, you're in luck. My buddy (Seven Acres BBQ) has been selling that sausage to a restaurant in FW. I just texted him to ask which restaurant it was and if it was a limited time offering. The sausage on the left is chicken mole sausage and it was great. I think the right was just poblano/cheese or jap/cheese and it's fantastic too!

3 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Venezuelans, rice fields, soccer mom’s and mediocre bbq.

so, same as it was 20 years ago, plus venezuelans. 

is there place i can get a case of polar beer?  need some for a gag gift. 

edit: apparently total wine has it.  don't even have to drive to katy.

Edited by elfenix

48 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Well, you're in luck. My buddy (Seven Acres BBQ) has been selling that sausage to a restaurant in FW. I just texted him to ask which restaurant it was and if it was a limited time offering. The sausage on the left is chicken mole sausage and it was great. I think the right was just poblano/cheese or jap/cheese and it's fantastic too!

Busy b's bakery maybe?

1 hour ago, ChampKind said:

Worth eating?

Brett’s Barbeque Shop (in the old Nonmacher’s spot on S Mason)

Rudy’s

Soon:

Daddy Duncan’s BBQ
Cooper’s

didn't know nonmacher's had closed.  had a lot of that and midway back in high school. 

On 3/9/2019 at 3:41 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

The brisket at Feges in Greenway was awesome last week. Their sauce is bizarre and awful. I think they make the sauces so bad that people will try their BBQ without the sauce. Feges brisket just needs a little salt and pepper and blow your hair back. Their chicken is amazing too. I suggest ordering a whole bird. 

I will cut you for your blasphemy against the Texas Gold 

20 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

In my opinion (like that is worth something), Willow’s is much better than Gatlin and as good as Pinkerton or Truth.

I still think the Energy Corridor needs a good bbq spot. All those engineering firms and oil companies, that is clientele with money and love bbq. There has to be some still affordable places out that way.

I really hope he opens a spot. His bbq was goddamn good.

I think you mentioned that earlier in the thread and I commented agreeing, took the kids over grandmas who lives next to Memorial HS, we wanted BBQ for dinner. Goode Company is the only choice within 15-20 mins, wtf. 

I think you mentioned that earlier in the thread and I commented agreeing, took the kids over grandmas who lives next to Memorial HS, we wanted BBQ for dinner. Goode Company is the only choice within 15-20 mins, wtf. 

I did. And exactly. I am sure there is some affordable real estate. Thousands of oil and gas professionals that have money to spend on quality bbq, yet there isn’t much within 20 minutes of I-10 and Eldridge.

4 hours ago, Smax said:

Goode and Co. BBQ died for me when they removed smoked duck from their menu. It was a never above average or anything, but they were the only place to my knowledge with duck on the daily menu. Jambalaya is still darned good though, but it's a side at best. 

I saw the Roegel's suggestion previously in the thread. The pastrami sandwich Thursday Lunch Special is a must. The pastrami beef rib on Friday wasn't worth the money. Just order the beef rib. 

Brisket House on Woodway and Augusta is always pretty solid. I usually order the brisket and regular sausage. The creamed corn is Rudy's level good.

Edited by billfromlaketravis

9 minutes ago, ChampKind said:

Except that STQ isn’t a barbeque joint. And point of clarification, STQ is next to Roegel’s. Russell was there loooong before Ronnie decided to open a place in the same parking lot. Jus sayin

I know what STQ is, Champ.  Just pointing out it’s hard to pass up.

and they do have barbecue there. Just different, and more expesive

Edited by AustinMT

Thought they were 4, but that’s just splitting hairs. I thoroughly enjoyed my meal there last year. Plus Jordan and Bryan are really good dudes in addition to being very good chefs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I think Cattleack was #3

Roegel's isn't far and damned decent. Nice folks also.

I’ve done that drive a few times when I worked out in the EC. Hell, I am downtown and made that drive last month. But it’s still a decent drive and not the same as having something in the EC.

As for Pappa’s, no thanks. Overpriced for what it is. I’d rather drive to Rudy’s at Mason and pay less for the same average bbq.

2 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I’ve done that drive a few times when I worked out in the EC. Hell, I am downtown and made that drive last month. But it’s still a decent drive and not the same as having something in the EC.

I was replying to Smax who thought Goode was the only bbq within 15-20 minutes from "next to Memorial HS". Yeah, that would be a haul from BP in Westlake, but it's not bad from I-10 and Echo.

Of course, YMMV!

Is there more than one Cooper's BBQ? 

Fam and I ate at the one next to the FW Stock Yards yesterday.  It was so close to being really good; however, the beef ribs and brisket were extremely salty.  I chocked up the brisket's saltiness to being an end piece - which I normally prefer; however, the ribs were too much as well.  They were almost unedible, and I'm not a picky eater.

26 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Is there more than one Cooper's BBQ? 

Fam and I ate at the one next to the FW Stock Yards yesterday.  It was so close to being really good; however, the beef ribs and brisket were extremely salty.  I chocked up the brisket's saltiness to being an end piece - which I normally prefer; however, the ribs were too much as well.  They were almost unedible, and I'm not a picky eater.

yes.  stockyards and llano.  pork chop is the best thing at the stockyards location imo.

yes.  stockyards and llano.  pork chop is the best thing at the stockyards location imo.

I think there’s also one still in New Braunfels. Last time I went to a Cooper’s it was at that one when we went down to see at Avett Brothers a couple summers ago at Whitewater. Everything I got was way too salty as well. I still love their salt/pepper rub.

I generally confine my marketing efforts to the Buck’s thread, but have done a few pretty cool things the last few weeks and figured I’d share them here. I mean, I am in Texas. And I cook bbq. So....

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bu8xpr7g9u-/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1isxrq6q84a82

There’s a new podcast out today too. Look for Cost of Goods Told, its the episode with Buck’s Barbeque Co.

Also, if you are in Houston and haven’t been to see me yet...maybe that video mashup will convince you. I’m told we’re pretty good. But don’t take my word for it. Read our review on tmbbq.com (and a few other places).

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I think there’s also one still in New Braunfels. Last time I went to a Cooper’s it was at that one when we went down to see at Avett Brothers a couple summers ago at Whitewater. Everything I got was way too salty as well. I still love their salt/pepper rub.

so it souds like there are more than 1.

23 minutes ago, ChampKind said:

I generally confine my marketing efforts to the Buck’s thread, but have done a few pretty cool things the last few weeks and figured I’d share them here. I mean, I am in Texas. And I cook bbq. So....

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bu8xpr7g9u-/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1isxrq6q84a82

There’s a new podcast out today too. Look for Cost of Goods Told, its the episode with Buck’s Barbeque Co.

Also, if you are in Houston and haven’t been to see me yet...maybe that video mashup will convince you. I’m told we’re pretty good. But don’t take my word for it. Read our review on tmbbq.com (and a few other places).

can't see shit, flip-flop

1 minute ago, Jerry Callo said:

Mason and Junction as well.  Mason being the original.  I don't think they are all owned by the same group, though.

My understanding is Mason is the original and all the others are owned by a separate family group. Mason had nothing to do with Llano being in Top 3 back in late 90’s when TM named Coopers, Louie Mueller’s and OG Kreuz Market the best in Texas.

12 hours ago, DoobieWah said:

Roegel's isn't far and damned decent. Nice folks also.

Forgot about that place but it might be because the 2 times I've been, wasn't that impressed. Had the briket which was ok, the ribs, didnt like and lamb pops which were a special that and those were great. Better then Gooode company I guess.

Champ I hear ya about retail prices, might be why its a BBQ wasteland out there, a lot money in the memorial area though

15 minutes ago, C-Man said:

My understanding is Mason is the original and all the others are owned by a separate family group. Mason had nothing to do with Llano being in Top 3 back in late 90’s when TM named Coopers, Louie Mueller’s and OG Kreuz Market the best in Texas.

The one in Junction is awful.  If you want BBQ in Junction, hit up Lum's.  It is good.

It was very disappointing.  Unlike most of y'all, I haven't eaten at enough good BBQ places to really get upset when the BBQ is sub par.  Having just moved back to TX last summer, to me, BBQ is BBQ and hard to F up.  Hell, we go to Soulman's every other week because it's close.  That's good enough for me at the moment.

Yesterday was the first time I really had a hard time eating BBQ.  I felt like I was eating a handful of spice back with almost every bite.  Kind of a shame because the meat itself was pretty tender.