Texas BBQ

Washpark

1 hour ago, Jerry Callo said:

Didn't know about Intersteller, but I'll give it a try.  Last time I ate at Noble on 620, I was less than impressed.

It was still great the last time I had it, sometime before Christmas.  I hadn't heard this news-- I'm disappointed that Noble will be gone.

If Interstellar turns out to be really good, I suppose I can accept the tradeoff, but I'm skeptical.

some info on Interstellar:

Popular sandwich shop Noble Sandwich Co. opened its barbecue offshoot Interstellar BBQ today, Thursday, February 21, at 12233 Ranch Road 620 in far northwest Austin. For the following week, it will open at 11 a.m. every day with a limited menu until everything is sold out. It’s also BYOB for the time being.

On Interstellar’s deck are the Texas barbecue staples — brisket, pulled pork, sausages, ribs, chicken — as well as other interesting additions like lamb shoulder and rack of lamb. Then there are sides like scalloped potatoes, spicy pickles, pinto beans, slaw, etc.

Co-owners and co-chefs John Bates and Brandon Martinez had been operating Interstellar as a barbecue pop-up since last summer. They converted Noble’s original restaurant on 620for the new barbecue joint, which shuttered on Christmas Eve in 2018. (The Burnet Road sandwich location remains open.)

Did something a bit different today as it was a going away meal for a colleague and he chose the spot. Burns Family BBQ. Got the three meat plate, ribs, brisket and hot link. Potato salad and beans for sides. Every time I eat east Texas style bbq it further confirms how much better central Texas style is. Don’t get me wrong, it wasn’t awful, but there wasn’t anything special about it. Brisket had good smoke flavor, but was rubbery. Ribs were pretty good. Hot link was dry and not spicy. Potato salad was good. Beans ok.

6coLwHX0_o.jpeg

3 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Did something a bit different today as it was a going away meal for a colleague and he chose the spot. Burns Family BBQ. Got the three meat plate, ribs, brisket and hot link. Potato salad and beans for sides. Every time I eat east Texas style bbq it further confirms how much better central Texas style is. Don’t get me wrong, it wasn’t awful, but there wasn’t anything special about it. Brisket had good smoke flavor, but was rubbery. Ribs were pretty good. Hot link was dry and not spicy. Potato salad was good. Beans ok.

6coLwHX0_o.jpeg

I dont see any pickles. Failure.

3 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

6coLwHX0_o.jpeg

Shiiiiit I would tear that up. East vs central Texas be damned. 

Shiiiiit I would tear that up. East vs central Texas be damned. 

Like I was saying, it wasn’t horrible. I ate as much as I could. Which brings up a point I forgot to mention, I think 3 meat plate, 2 sides and drink was like $17. And I couldn’t finish it. So generous portions and cheaper than most bbq places these days. But put it side by side with Pinkerton’s, Buck’s, Tejas, Willow’s, Valentina’s, etc and there is no comparison.

2 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Like I was saying, it wasn’t horrible. I ate as much as I could. Which brings up a point I forgot to mention, I think 3 meat plate, 2 sides and drink was like $17. And I couldn’t finish it. So generous portions and cheaper than most bbq places these days. But put it side by side with Pinkerton’s, Buck’s, Tejas, Willow’s, Valentina’s, etc and there is no comparison.

Unlike some others on this board, I will go in on "pretty good" BBQ (especially if priced accordingly) any day of the week.

In fact, I'd rather spend less on decent Q than spend more on something that ends up being overrated.

• Like 1

Just now, ztejas said:

I swear... the amount of times I ate there growing up, I would bet a lot that me and you were there at the same time at least once.

RIP indeed.

My dad use to take me there specifically for the cabrito. This was back in the day before the gueros took over the east side. 

• Like 1

have they always had cabrito in llano?  I thought that was a mason thing. 

They have...except for a period when the price got so high they quit carrying it. We showed up and they told us this, and the boy (he was around 6 at the time, and loves him some goat) cried. Seriously, he cried because they were out of his favorite bbq.

7 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

They have...except for a period when the price got so high they quit carrying it. We showed up and they told us this, and the boy (he was around 6 at the time, and loves him some goat) cried. Seriously, he cried because they were out of his favorite bbq.

Can't blame him at all.  If anything in this world is worth some tears, it's BBQ.

30 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Can't blame him at all.  If anything in this world is worth some tears, it's BBQ.

Damn right.  Any boy of mine cries over most things and it’s “I’ll give you somethin’ to cry about” but he cries over BBQ...well that’s just a proud dad moment right there.

On 2/21/2019 at 1:30 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

6coLwHX0_o.jpeg

you went to Burns and didn't get the potato? That was your first mistake.48415910_2121331131257184_44010798832964

Edited by Enchubben
  • Like 2

Just a quick FYI — our annual Rib Cook-Off benefiting the Rise School of Dallas is next Saturday in the Top Golf building parking lot (corner of Central and NW Highway — on the Greenville side). $25 wrist bands but you only need those if you want to drink beer.

Tootsie Tomanetz will be on-hand from noon-6 with Daniel Vaughn. They’re a couple of our celeb judges. My team is defending champs. Should be a fun day.

d562d715d32b85d7751aee575f17faed.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

Just a quick FYI — our annual Rib Cook-Off benefiting the Rise School of Dallas is next Saturday in the Top Golf building parking lot (corner of Central and NW Highway — on the Greenville side). $25 wrist bands but you only need those if you want to drink beer.

Tootsie Tomanetz will be on-hand from noon-6 with Daniel Vaughn. They’re a couple of our celeb judges. My team is defending champs. Should be a fun day.

d562d715d32b85d7751aee575f17faed.jpg

Sounds awesome.  Mrs Landomatic and I will try to make it for sure

Might wanna post this in the Dallas sub too