Texas BBQ

Washpark

Man, I'll tell you what, it's not always this way, but about 80% of the time down at the Wm Cannon Whole Foods whoever they've got on smoker duty is on point.  Got it timed where I get there right when they put it out fresh at the food bar.  

Grab all my the best bits, burnt ends, fatty, bark ridden, etc.

Obligatory it's not Franklin, Mueller, Blacks etc, but blows doors on the next tier down from there.  No wait, just grab and go.

Shit, they're even doing dino ribs lately.  One note - DO NOT EAT the sausage unless you just really miss hot dogs and wanna scratch that itch.

My small haul for lunch today.(and yes, it's in a cup.  Learned it from The Jerk)......

IMG_2198-04-02-19-07-11_zps1jwcxtqv.jpeg

Edited by Cajun
  • Like 4

19 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Man, I'll tell you what, it's not always this way, but about 80% of the time down at the Wm Cannon Whole Foods whoever they've got on smoker duty is on point.  Got it timed where I get there right when they put it out fresh at the food bar.  

Obligatory it's not Franklin, Mueller, Blacks etc, but blows doors on the next tier down from there.  No wait, just grab and go.

Shit, they're even doing dino ribs lately.  One note - DO NOT EAT the sausage unless you just really miss hot dogs and wanna scratch that itch.

My small haul for lunch today.(and yes, it's in a cup.  Learned it from The Jerk)......

...and what time is that?

44 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Bro that looks got dam phenomenal. How much/lb is Whole Foods bleeding you for?

That's the beauty Brochacho, everything at the Hot Bar is 8.99/lb.

Don't matter what you get.

What's funny is that to get the Dino Ribs into the containers you have to remove the bone so you're getting pure meat from it for that price.  I'm praying to the Spaghetti Monster that they don't figure it out.

2 hours ago, Cajun said:

Totally agree. It has been my go to, no line Q for a couple of years. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Cajun said:

Man, I'll tell you what, it's not always this way, but about 80% of the time down at the Wm Cannon Whole Foods whoever they've got on smoker duty is on point.

Anyone ever found this to be the case at any other Whole Foods locations?  Or is this just a one-off deal where the guy who runs that location's smoker happens to have a little pride in his work?

1 hour ago, DoobieWah said:

So in a town with a literal plethora of fine BBQ options, the in-the-know crowd is sucking on Jeff Bezos' rib bone?

You people disgust me.  

I can't believe this one took this long to show.

Knew it was coming.

Yeah, I feel dirty.

1 hour ago, futureman said:

I’ve printed a transcript of this page and I’m going to hand-deliver it to the store manager of the wm cannon whole foods.

You just wait right there.  Don't move, I'll be right over.

1 hour ago, futureman said:

Edited by Cajun

Anyone ever found this to be the case at any other Whole Foods locations?  Or is this just a one-off deal where the guy who runs that location's smoker happens to have a little pride in his work?

The flagship was really good a few years ago. I haven’t had it in two years at least. It was always a solid lunch option.
  • Like 2

Waco bound for a wedding this weekend.  I'm sure it's been mentioned, but anything worth a shit in Waco?  Will be traveling from western KS with 2 kids under 7 so will probably not stop anywhere north of there while en route.  The faster I get them there, the sooner I'll be free to eat and drink on my own.  Thanks in advance.

Waco bound for a wedding this weekend.  I'm sure it's been mentioned, but anything worth a shit in Waco?  Will be traveling from western KS with 2 kids under 7 so will probably not stop anywhere north of there while en route.  The faster I get them there, the sooner I'll be free to eat and drink on my own.  Thanks in advance.
Guess is good....despite my bad day visit still was tasty
  • Like 1

On 7/18/2018 at 2:47 PM, Voltronjacko said:

So, I completed a BBQ crawl this weekend starting from Austin and went throughout Houston.  Got to Snow's early, then hit up Truth and then tried Roegel's, Pinkerton's, Gatlins, Pit Room, Killen's.  Was hoping to get Tejas and Corkscrew in, but couldn't make it in time Saturday.

Truth was as badass as usual.  Very, very solid offerings from Roegel's, Pinkerton's and Pit Room.  Killen's was pretty good (they had Wagyu burnt ends that day), and Gatlins was very pedestrian.  I got fatty brisket, sausage and ribs at all places as a comparison.

Overall, I was very impressed with quite a few Houston joints.  I could see the next top spot coming from one of those spots.

Necro bump... finally tried Roegel's.  Good stuff!  BTW, if you're around there, the short rib at Killeen's STQ is a must!

• Like 1

Had a business meeting in North Austin with a local company and some guys in from the Northeast on Friday. It was getting around lunch time and the plan was to go get some BBQ. The owner of the local biz says "How about Salt Lick?" I throw out a couple of places without trying to be too controlling as to where we head. We look outside and it's starting to sleet. He says "Well Salt Lick is a good 20 minute drive so maybe something closer will work. He mentions some place that just took over a Mexican food joint that I've never heard of and I say "Heck, to be safe we can just go around the corner and get Rudy's with these guys so they can get some Central Texas style BBQ. He says that sounds good. At least I know what to expect and will at least enjoy it.
He meets us by the elevators with his wife and she says "So, you guys want bbq and need close by. We're going to take you all to this most awesome bbq restaurant. It's called County Line BBQ......
My hopes and dreams did just as the elevator...went straight down.
BBQ was shit. Only thing worthwhile was the bread and honey butter.
I told the other two guys from Yankee land that when they come back to Texas, I'll personally take them to a much better BBQ place. They looked at me like "better than County Line?", like it was the best bbq they have ever had.

53 minutes ago, Both Tacos said:

Had a business meeting in North Austin with a local company and some guys in from the Northeast on Friday. It was getting around lunch time and the plan was to go get some BBQ. The owner of the local biz says "How about Salt Lick?" I throw out a couple of places without trying to be too controlling as to where we head. We look outside and it's starting to sleet. He says "Well Salt Lick is a good 20 minute drive so maybe something closer will work. He mentions some place that just took over a Mexican food joint that I've never heard of and I say "Heck, to be safe we can just go around the corner and get Rudy's with these guys so they can get some Central Texas style BBQ. He says that sounds good. At least I know what to expect and will at least enjoy it.
He meets us by the elevators with his wife and she says "So, you guys want bbq and need close by. We're going to take you all to this most awesome bbq restaurant. It's called County Line BBQ......
My hopes and dreams did just as the elevator...went straight down.
BBQ was shit. Only thing worthwhile was the bread and honey butter.
I told the other two guys from Yankee land that when they come back to Texas, I'll personally take them to a much better BBQ place. They looked at me like "better than County Line?", like it was the best bbq they have ever had.

Yep, took some in-laws there visiting from England only b/c we were out on Lake Austin in the boat and I can get there by water.

I tried to tamp down their expectations, but afterwards they were bowled over.  

"This is the best BBQ in the world!!!", yada yada.  I kept trying to tell them it was at best B- Q, but they were too busy making plans to come back with their pals later.

sigh

The bread and honey butter does kick all kinds of ass.  Just ask the carp and turtles, they'll tell you the same.

Edited by Cajun

Semi-Trivial Things that Make me Surly: Paying $17 for a 2-meat plate at Micklethwait and getting 1 slice of Brisket and 1 slice of Pork Shoulder with two sides scooped into to-go cups the size of which most restaurants would use for ketchup. I've been there before, and was pleased the first time, but yesterday was disappointing.