Texas BBQ

Washpark

On 12/31/2018 at 12:06 PM, Lobwedgephil said:

Think Truth is closed for a while to open the Houston location, and Snows closed for a January break as well. 

looks like they're pretty close to opening here.  exterior of the building is done, some dumpsters are on the side and they've got now hiring signs posted. 

11 hours ago, ChampKind said:

Flores is very legit. Who is this friend you speak of?

Friend of mine who was at Star-Telegram when I was there. He hasn’t gone pro yet but probably will at some point. He’s making homemade sausage and selling it to a restaurant in Fort Worth at this point. We won the TDC Rib Cookoff last year in Dallas in April and we are trying to repeat in two months.

33 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Just had Blood Bros in Bellaire. Fairly new place, I think. Very solid. Check em out if you're in the area. Bellaire and Chimney Rock.

They've done pop-ups in Houston for 3-4 years now.  The brick and mortar just opened in the last few weeks.

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, luke duke said:

PM Cliff Notes

3 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Fuck that. Put it on blast. What’s some Texas BBQ without some family drama?

Let's see if this works:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BsoOehWhZs-/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

Edited by C-Man
Looks like it was removed

6 hours ago, ChampKind said:

I suspect Grant will reside in Houston, but will spend a fair amount of time in SA too. Great deal for him, and I’m really happy for him

From what I've seen, he has some great people working for him at the Houston location. I'd imagine they can hold down the fort while he gets SA up and running. No inside knowledge though, just impressed with what I've seen in the times I've been there.

1 hour ago, HoustonHorn said:

From what I've seen, he has some great people working for him at the Houston location. I'd imagine they can hold down the fort while he gets SA up and running. No inside knowledge though, just impressed with what I've seen in the times I've been there.

Grant's a really talented dude, very organized, and with the right mindset to make this all work well.  I have no doubt his SA operation will be very successful.

28 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

OTOH, Franklin had about an hour and a half line at opening.

probably 90% tourists too.  franklin needs a separate line for residents where you can show them a current utility bill and a photo i.d. or something.

Edited by futureman

56 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

Stopped by Micklethwait Craft Meats on Sunday. Got there 10 prior to opening and there was one couple waiting. The brisket picked up for dinner was outstanding. Sliced Brisket Frito Pie was an excellent lunch choice.

OTOH, Franklin had about an hour and a half line at opening.

Yeah, but be honest.  Waiting behind that one couple at Mickelthwait still took about 45 minutes to get your food, right? :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, HoustonHorn said:

No doubt. Grant found some talented people and its afforded him the ability to focus on building his business instead of being chained to the pit room or cutting block. He's a smart guy and has surrounded himself with good folks.

17 hours ago, luke duke said:

I’m sure that’s part of it, but if what I’ve heard is true, Wayne is quite the piece of work too.

Basically, it started innocuously enough with somebody on Instagram giving awards for his "best BBQ bites" in Texas and his first honoree was a bite of the beef rib at Louie Mueller's. It had a pic of the blogger and Wayne holding some sort of sign. LeAnn chimed in by saying whatever beef rib is the easiest thing in the world to smoke because the bone does all the cooking. John jumped in and called her a dumbass (called her "Newton" actually) basically saying it's the heat that cooks the meat, not the bone. It devolved from there and got unbelievably nasty.

Edited by C-Man

Havent journeyed out for good bbq in a minute...been thinking about cruising towards bodacious in longview or finally getting around to trying franklins(kinda want to wait until i have a few days in austin to hit about 4 spots)

Probably need to hit up guess in waco from the responses and it is the closest

6 hours ago, Bone3421 said:

Havent journeyed out for good bbq in a minute...been thinking about cruising towards bodacious in longview or finally getting around to trying franklins(kinda want to wait until i have a few days in austin to hit about 4 spots)

Probably need to hit up guess in waco from the responses and it is the closest

If you come to Austin to hit 4 spots including Franklin, I would recommend the following.  Pre-order La Barbecue and avoid the lines.  Micklethwait's had no line at opening last Sunday.  Breakfast at Valentina's on the day you are not waiting in line at Franklin.

If you go to Guess, go before Noon.  The lines were not all that long, they just don't cook very much and sell out quickly.

• Like 1