Texas BBQ

Washpark

12 hours ago, ChampKind said:

I have. Care to put your money where your mouth is? Cause I will.

It was just a simple question.  Until I moved here from Houston, I never had been to Tyler.  I operate under the assumption that most people have not been here.

Having said that, I'm going to slowly back out of the room and let you guys have it out.

Edited by dcbc
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, ChampKind said:

I was just funning, that’s all. Its like you guys don’t even know me

I wasn't sure.  But Surly's being Surly, I was extremely close to saying that my mouth was at yer mom's house last night and some of my money was still on her nightstand. 

Is it too late for that?

/jerk store called

//Happy T-giving.

Edited by dcbc

Went to Hutchins in Frisco on Saturday. That was my 2nd visit. As per the first time, I got brisket, ribs and jalapeno cheese sausage, no sides. With my son living in Frisco, this will become a habit.  I know places can have off days, but I am 2 for 2 in getting excellent,above average BBQ here.

Bodacious Gladewater reopens today under the ownership of Jordan Jackson.  He will be cooking at and running this location.

On 11/21/2018 at 8:30 AM, ChampKind said:

Brotherton has some solid non-brisket sammiches. So do I. Jimmy hasn’t tried mine. Nor do I think he has tried Brotherton’s.

So...best in Texas? I’d bet that it isn’t.

fair, i should have said my favorite, just different compared to the normal stuff you see at BBQ places.

Vaughn named it his favorite back in like 14/15? but obviously a ton has changed across the state!

I really need to make it to Houston for a BBQ weekend.

Edited by NoName

9 minutes ago, After irth said:

Weekend in Tyler coming up. A bit of Robert Cray and a whole lotta misbehaving (I guess)...!

Never been to Tyler. 

I’ve seen Stanley’s and Ribmasters. Any other recs?

Time Out?  But maybe that's another thread

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, After irth said:

Weekend in Tyler coming up. A bit of Robert Cray and a whole lotta misbehaving (I guess)...!

Never been to Tyler. 

I’ve seen Stanley’s and Ribmasters. Any other recs?

Stanley's for sure.  Skip Ribmasters.  It was pretty weak when it was in Tyler.  I don't think it's improved by moving out toward Bullard.  Roast Social Kitchen (5th St) is owned by the people who own Stanley's  and definitely is worth the trip.  Los Guerros on Vine has good tacos (breakfast or otherwise).  Don Juan's (not the chain) for TexMex (on the Square downtown) and ETX Brewing Company (Broadway and Elm) are worth a visit.  If someone mentions True Vine Brewing, push for ETX.  TVB is not something I'd recommend from a beer standpoint.

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, dcbc said:

Stanley's for sure.  Skip Ribmasters.  It was pretty weak when it was in Tyler.  I don't think it's improved by moving out toward Bullard.  Roast Social Kitchen (5th St) is owned by the people who own Stanley's  and definitely is worth the trip.  Los Guerros on Vine has good tacos (breakfast or otherwise).  Don Juan's (not the chain) for TexMex (on the Square downtown) and ETX Brewing Company (Broadway and Elm) are worth a visit.  If someone mentions True Vine Brewing, push for ETX.  TVB is not something I'd recommend from a beer standpoint.

Solid. Mucho thanks!

• Like 1

I second this. Spent a few weeks for work in Tyler over the last two summers. My mouth is watering thinking about a Cadillac style mother clucker. Roast social kitchen was also very good. ETX was pretty good, especially compared to the canned TVB I had.
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The family stopped by Cattleack on Friday on the way to Frisco.  Brisket, pork rib, hatch & cheddar sausage, collard greens, and beans.  All three meats were great, but the sides were terrible. 

Showing up to the hotel's breakfast area the next morning and unwrapping butcher paper with brisket and sausage probably wasn't fair to those around us eating fake eggs and sausage like products.  Left over brisket on a tortilla is quite a nice way to start the day.

15 minutes ago, XYZ said:

Who in y’alls opinion makes the third best brisket in Austin? #1 and #2 for me are Franklyn and La Barbecue (interchangeably). The #3 spot is a death match between Kerlin, Micklethwait, and Valentina’s. What say you?

#3 would have to be franklin, right?  and I do need to try your #1

46 minutes ago, XYZ said:

Who in y’alls opinion makes the third best brisket in Austin? #1 and #2 for me are Franklyn and La Barbecue (interchangeably). The #3 spot is a death match between Kerlin, Micklethwait, and Valentina’s. What say you?

47 minutes ago, XYZ said:

Across the board, I place Micklethwait up there with Franklin and La Barbecue (higher on sausage and sides).  Hard for me to place Valentina's because I usually get one of the tacos as opposed to meat by the pound.     

Stopped off at The Switch in Dripping Springs on our way back to Dallas from San Antonio today. We got brisket, jap cheese sausage, turkey and ribs, potato salet, beans and cole slaw. I thought it was pretty damn good and Bill Dumas seems like a good dude. He showed us around the four Mobergs they've got in the pit room.

On 12/11/2018 at 2:15 PM, XYZ said:

Team Valentina

• Like 1

On 12/12/2018 at 3:24 PM, Jerry Callo said:

Your turkey to Trinity ratio is all off.

Where is that?

The Switch. (I ordered a pound of brisket -- lean and fatty -- and a pound of turkey to go along with ribs and a jap cheese sausage link. It was just my wife and I. I love having the leftover turkey for sandwiches for a few days after.)

6 minutes ago, luke duke said:

I meant the pits. Same door shape and everything.

Ah, is that not a standard design from Moberg these days? I know next-to-nothing about Moberg except that seems to be the gold standard among Texas-fab offset smokers these days. Bill Dumas, pitmaster at The Switch, said the Moberg's hold steady heat like nothing he's used. Guess they have Kloses at Stiles Switch and he said they were constantly tweaking things to normalize the temp. (I have the same issues with my Klose backyard offset.)

Edited by C-Man