Texas BBQ

Washpark

10 hours ago, IDIOTsavant said:

Having trouble getting it to post on my phone, but Grant Pinkerton replied to a Kirk Bohls tweet talking about Joe's in KC having the best ribs ever with "Ok. Cool. Hook'em." I like him even more now.

On a side note, Joe’s DOES have the best ribs ever. Or...at least they’re my favorite ribs that I didn’t have to make. 

Purely my opinion, of course. Just sayin...

18 hours ago, ChampKind said:

Yeah? I’ve had the ribs at Joe’s. They aren’t as good as Grant’s. Or mine. Or about a half dozen other places I can think of.

Broad statements like “best ever” are fucking dumb. Unless you’ve eaten at every place that serves that particular item.

This statement might be the best ever. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ChampKind said:

Yeah? I’ve had the ribs at Joe’s. They aren’t as good as Grant’s. Or mine. Or about a half dozen other places I can think of.

Broad statements like “best ever” are fucking dumb. Unless you’ve eaten at every place that serves that particular item.

Kirk Bohls is a known chode. His opinion is worth less than dogshit. 

• Like 1

Probably already started a war somewhere upthread but is Franklin responsible for the industry blowing up? There was always Lockhart/luling but it was that way for years without it taking off. I guess pecan lodge in dallas was around the same time as franklin. Seems like once the masses in the city got a taste of legit Q without having to drive 40 min, it just blew the f up. 

What Franklin did started this new age of “craft” barbeque. Justin and his crew at Pecan Lodge came after that. Aaron was the first bbq guy to win a James Beard. And it inspired chef-types across the country to start doing bbq, where before it was just a bunch of jackwagons with no formal culinary training.

Barbeque is the new “it” thing. But for how long? Those chef-types will go back to fine dining, and us jackwagons will be left to continue burning meat, one brisket at a time

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ChampKind said:

What Franklin did started this new age of “craft” barbeque. Justin and his crew at Pecan Lodge came after that. Aaron was the first bbq guy to win a James Beard. And it inspired chef-types across the country to start doing bbq, where before it was just a bunch of jackwagons with no formal culinary training.

Barbeque is the new “it” thing. But for how long? Those chef-types will go back to fine dining, and us jackwagons will be left to continue burning meat, one brisket at a time

For what it's worth, Stanley's started winning Texas Monthly awards for its ribs a few years before Franklin opened.  But Nick definitely followed Franklin's lead (after spending some time with Aaron and others) and upped Stanley's BBQ's brisket game around 2012).  But Tyler's being a small city gets in the way when it comes to blazing trails.  That's okay though.  It's nice not to have to wait in line for more than 10 minutes for really good BBQ, and the chopped brisket breakfast burritos are off the charts delicious for about $4.

• Like 1

Was it when Texas Monthly brought on Vaughn and he exposed some of the best places to eat BBQ?  I think it brought on more competition that said "Hey, I can cook BBQ this style" and they knew there was a path to success in doing so.

I know that Pecan Lodge was in the Dallas Farmer's Market and was doing mostly catering with a very light lunch crowd on weekends only. Then Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives episode ran about his place and everyday since then he would run out of food while he was at the Farmer's Market. So if it weren't for triple D, would Pecan Lodge be the success it has today?  I'm not sure word of mouth carries you as far as a Celebrity endorsement does like from someone like Vaughn or Fieri.  

Finally made it to The Pit Room. Now I have tried all the Houston area top 50, plus two that deserved to be on it (Buck’s and Willow’s).

2.5 lbs of brisket. Was very good. Not out of this world but certainly delicious. Had each of the sausages they offer. Favorite was the pork jalapeño and cheese. Was a damn fine lunch.

y1yP6ogi_o.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dcbc said:

For what it's worth, Stanley's started winning Texas Monthly awards for its ribs a few years before Franklin opened.  But Nick definitely followed Franklin's lead (after spending some time with Aaron and others) and upped Stanley's BBQ's brisket game around 2012).  But Tyler's being a small city gets in the way when it comes to blazing trails.  That's okay though.  It's nice not to have to wait in line for more than 10 minutes for really good BBQ, and the chopped brisket breakfast burritos are off the charts delicious for about $4.

You forgot the best non-brisket sandwich in Texas, the Cadillac Clucker:

IMG_2653.JPG

From Smoking Ho:

Before the Red Dirt BBQ & Music Festival the next day, I came back to get the Mother Clucker. It is a spiked and smoked chicken thigh filet with spicy BBQ mayo, cheddar cheese, topped with an over easy fried egg and served on toasted jalapeno cheese sourdough. I upgraded mine with house-made guacamole and candied bacon and made it a Cadillac Clucker. Holy hell! It was delicious. I ate all of it at the expense of my Red Dirt experience. The depth of flavors, the textures... Man o man.

Edited by NoName
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, NoName said:

You forgot the best non-brisket sandwich in Texas, the Cadillac Clucker:

IMG_2653.JPG

From Smoking Ho:

How could I have?  And, of course, there's the "Brother-in-Law."  So much deliciousness on that menu!

fixedw-large-4x.jpg

Edited by dcbc

4 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Finally made it to The Pit Room. Now I have tried all the Houston area top 50, plus two that deserved to be on it (Buck’s and Willow’s).

2.5 lbs of brisket. Was very good. Not out of this world but certainly delicious. Had each of the sausages they offer. Favorite was the pork jalapeño and cheese. Was a damn fine lunch.

y1yP6ogi_o.jpeg

Is that some kind of soup on the top left? Is that for dipping bread? I’m confused 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChampKind said:

Brotherton has some solid non-brisket sammiches. So do I. Jimmy hasn’t tried mine. Nor do I think he has tried Brotherton’s.

So...best in Texas? I’d bet that it isn’t.

I think you meant to quote someone else.  I just said it was delicious.

8 hours ago, ChampKind said:

Brotherton has some solid non-brisket sammiches. So do I. Jimmy hasn’t tried mine. Nor do I think he has tried Brotherton’s.

You quoted a sandwich that has brisket on it.

It is a damn good sandwich, though. I had one tuesday for lunch. My only complaint is, like most bbq joints when they they say chopped beef, they mean pulverized into a hash. 

Edited by immortal13
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, ChampKind said:

the best brisket sandwich in the state of texas is at peggy sue bbq in snider plaza, dallas, tx.   period.   next question. 

I think you meant to quote someone else.  I just said it was delicious.

My b. Yeah, meant to quote the post about the best non-brisket sammich in Texas.

And I’m sure the guy that made that comment has eaten every non-brisket in the state. Since he stated it was THE best non-brisket sammich in the state. How else would he know?

12 minutes ago, ChampKind said:

My b. Yeah, meant to quote the post about the best non-brisket sammich in Texas.

And I’m sure the guy that made that comment has eaten every non-brisket in the state. Since he stated it was THE best non-brisket sammich in the state. How else would he know?

have you eaten every non-brisket sammich in the state?   

Just now, ChampKind said:

How’s that gas station working out for ya?

20 minutes ago, ChampKind said:

I have. Care to put your money where your mouth is? Cause I will.

pretty good, parlayed it into a few more jobs and kicking ass.   how is your life as a john mueller wannabe working out for ya?   any trouble from the IRS yet? 

Edited by Bill Brasky
  • Like 1