Texas BBQ

Washpark

1 hour ago, EZ$ said:

Didn’t go through the previous 19 pages, but 2M Smokehouse in SA was legit. As good as any of the Austin joints (other than Franklin). 

2M is legit and their serrano/oaxaca cheese sausage is one of the best, non-traditional sausages I've ever had.  They're comparable to the top Austin joints as they have some training from Bobby Mueller school of barbecue - Stiles, Franklin, La BBQ & 2M.

Reminder that BBQ Shop Talk with Texas Monthly's Daniel Vaughn is this Saturday in San Marcos.

Join Texas Monthly Barbecue Editor, Daniel Vaughn, for an interactive, behind-the-pit experience. Learn the tricks of the trade and ask Daniel all your burning barbecue-related questions – after all, he’s visited more than 1,500 barbecue joints.

For purchase at the event Hays County BBQ will be on-site to provide some of the best barbecue in Texas for —including classics like brisket and sausage served with potato salad, beans and, of course, sweet tea!

The TX BBQ Posse just had a write up about this place and it sounds like a solid bbq joint.

Heading there a week from tomorrow. Looking forward to it.

On the other hand, Guess family bbq here in Waco has finally brought really good que to Waco. If your wife drags your ass to magnolia to buy over priced home goods, walk across and get in line.

Will report back on Flores

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, PorscheGuy said:

On the other hand, Guess family bbq here in Waco has finally brought really good que to Waco. If your wife drags your ass to magnolia to buy over priced home goods, walk across and get in line.

I'm 0 for 4 in attempts to get Guess bbq. Not gonna assimilate into the Chip & Joanna collective.

There's a good barbecue truck on Waco Drive. Legit full spare ribs.

oldschool.jpg

16 hours ago, PorscheGuy said:

Guess is damn good.  Had HTK for lunch today and it was pretty damn solid as well.  

Tex Mex BBQ.
Tex + Mex + ’Cue: 4 Texas Spots Combining the Best of Both Worlds.
Texas pitmasters are incorporating Mexican-American flavors in their must-have barbecue.

Read this and now about to make Valentinas salsa recipe linked in the article. Will go on brisket taco at tailgate tomorrow. Brisket is also on the smoker now. Hook Em

Sense. This makes none.

Man guys we almost had a problem...i was remembering that snows was closed yesterday and got to thinking oh no what if some how tootsie cursed us.

Im to say that is not the case as they were around the time another texas legend was on campus(VY). So crisis averted thankfully.

Daniel Vaughn interviewing Hays County BBQ owners Michael and Asenette Hernandez. I wasn't sure what to expect but it was a good discussion about the trials and tribulations of starting and running a bbq restaurant. Michael has some serious bags under his eyes and he says that's from all the sleep he's missed running it, which I'd believe.

It was a bit rainy that day, although it mostly held off during the event (we were in a large tent) and I guess due to the rain they decided not to charge for the catered Hays County meal (it was going to be $15/plate). Really good event that Kissing Tree and Texas Monthly put on.

20180915_125306.jpg

Picked up brisket, beef sausage, pork ribs, and two tomahawk pork chops from John Mueller on Saturday.  Brisket and pork ribs were great, even with being heated up that evening.  Beef sausage was pretty dry.  Saving the chops for later. 

Best was breakfast on Sunday - nice slice of moist brisket topped with two eggs over easy and salsa.

• Like 2

Is there anything worse than getting really bad meat at a bbq joint? I just had some of the worst, chewiest, driest brisket I've ever had. It was on a sandwich and piled high on that fucking bun(which was the best part of the sandwich). The meat was like chewing a big cotton ball, and took forever to chew up a single bite even with a ton of sauce. Rarely in my life have I ever sent food back at a restaurant, but I did today. Just fucking terrible, and the replacement sandwich wasn't much better. You make fucking bbq!!!.....that is all you do!! Don't serve some bullshit like that.

51 minutes ago, immortal13 said:

Is there anything worse than getting really bad meat at a bbq joint? I just had some of the worst, chewiest, driest brisket I've ever had. It was on a sandwich and piled high on that fucking bun(which was the best part of the sandwich). The meat was like chewing a big cotton ball, and took forever to chew up a single bite even with a ton of sauce. Rarely in my life have I ever sent food back at a restaurant, but I did today. Just fucking terrible, and the replacement sandwich wasn't much better. You make fucking bbq!!!.....that is all you do!! Don't serve some bullshit like that.

There's one tiny little bit of info you left out...

Hit up Lockhart's in Plano on Sunday.  Meh...

Man, I really wanted to like it.  I did.  I need a staple near where I live besides Hutchins in Frisco and Hard 8's in the The Colony.  Cool place.  Got their around 6pm.  Their "lean" brisket was dry.  Real dry.  Fatty was better.  Good flavor.  Good bark.  Sausage, which the kids like, was bland (regular, not jalapeno).  Pork ribs were dry also.  Dry and chewy.  So maybe everything had been sitting around, but it was very underwhelming.  Best thing I had was the 10% Belgium triple Freaky Deaky.  

So Pecan Lodge is still my favorite until I can get around to Cattleacks for lunch.