Texas BBQ

Washpark

7 minutes ago, HoustonHorn said:

Pok-e-joes had some solid fucking fries. I used to work at Bookstop and would grab an order of fries for lunch. Mix the bbq sauce in the ketchup and it was damn tasty. Used to live near the Pit too. Usually got a burger, but back in the day it was passable bbq.

You keep bringing up sides and futureman will stab you in the eye.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HoustonHorn said:

Pok-e-joes had some solid fucking fries. I used to work at Bookstop and would grab an order of fries for lunch. Mix the bbq sauce in the ketchup and it was damn tasty. Used to live near the Pit too. Usually got a burger, but back in the day it was passable bbq.

True, but Bert's had a wood pile. You have to wonder about BBQ joints that somehow don't need any wood. 

Edit: that said, Pok-E-Jo's didn't burn to the ground.

1 hour ago, Underdog said:

LMAO @ Ruby’s, shit sucked on my only visit. 

The evergreen Ruby's / Rudy's confusion?

Edited by GringoSalado
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GringoSalado said:

True, but Bert's had a wood pile. You have to wonder about BBQ joints that somehow don't need any wood. 

Edit: that said, Pok-E-Jo's didn't burn to the ground.

The evergreen Ruby's / Rudy's confusion?

Don't think so. I never thought Ruby's was anything special.  It was fine, just like Poke E Jo's is fine.  Neither were ever anything more than that.

But "fine" BBQ in Texas is still better than anything anywhere else in the world.  Not sure why so many people feel the need to get wrapped around the axle on this stuff.

On 7/30/2018 at 12:05 PM, Voltronjacko said:

Just saw this.  What's going on with Franklin BBQ?

https://bryannorton.podbean.com/e/tfp-bbq-ep-65-changes-at-franklin-barbecue/

I downloaded and listened to the Franklin podcast before it was taken down.  I suspect these guys really regret releasing it to begin with. 

However, I have since listened to the episodes with our own Champ, Tom Micklethwait, and tribute to Bobby Mueller with interviews with Wayne and John.  Pretty interesting - especially how the barbecue craze grew over the years.  What Micklethwait is planning in Smithville sound great, but I don't see how he keeps the trailer up and running with the same quality - although he insists its not going anywhere.

My oldest friend is in his 40s and was just diagnosed with cancer.  Fuck cancer.  He has a good chance at beating it.  Fuck it, still.

He’s a Texan who is huge fan of Texas BBQ, but he’s currently trapped in California.  Chemo for 6 months.  One of my missions in life now is to keep him and his family fed with Texas BBQ throughout his treatment*.  This is at their request and part of a community meal train.

I’ve sent Cooper’s before and it was well received.  Internet tells me I can pre-order and the pick up a Franklin brisket, cryovac’d, that I can then pack and ship to him.  Rudy’s ships, but.... 

So, any of y’all have any (good) experience(s) with ordering/shipping from good Texas BBQ places to help narrow down my search?  Champ, you shipping yet as part of your plan to dominate the BBQ universe?

TIA

*I had always heard smoked meats are bad for cancer and cancer patients, but he tells me it’s OK.

57 minutes ago, solamente73 said:

My oldest friend is in his 40s and was just diagnosed with cancer.  Fuck cancer.  He has a good chance at beating it.  Fuck it, still.

He’s a Texan who is huge fan of Texas BBQ, but he’s currently trapped in California.  Chemo for 6 months.  One of my missions in life now is to keep him and his family fed with Texas BBQ throughout his treatment*.  This is at their request and part of a community meal train.

I’ve sent Cooper’s before and it was well received.  Internet tells me I can pre-order and the pick up a Franklin brisket, cryovac’d, that I can then pack and ship to him.  Rudy’s ships, but.... 

So, any of y’all have any (good) experience(s) with ordering/shipping from good Texas BBQ places to help narrow down my search?  Champ, you shipping yet as part of your plan to dominate the BBQ universe?

TIA

*I had always heard smoked meats are bad for cancer and cancer patients, but he tells me it’s OK.

snow’s ships.  and it’s gud 

• Like 1

On 8/2/2018 at 7:28 PM, utee94 said:

I never thought Ruby's was anything special.  It was fine

I will give them credit for two things:  their breakfast tacos, and their beans with a handful of chopped brisket and spicy sauce.  That's a meal right there!

On 8/2/2018 at 7:28 PM, utee94 said:

I never thought Ruby's was anything special. 

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

I will give them credit for two things:  their breakfast tacos, and their beans with a handful of chopped brisket and spicy sauce.  That's a meal right there!

goddammit people

Those three all have ok (but not great) bbq.  Stiles Switch can be a bit inconsistent, but its good days are better than the other two.  Freedmens used to be a bit better, but I think they have gone through a few different pitmasters.  And the love for TB's on this thread is a bit of a mystery to me.  

Putting the food aside, Freedmen's has a much cooler ambiance, a bar, etc.   Overall its probably the best place to have a relaxing dinner with your out of town friends. 

The Lockhart article, to me, is not fair at all.
I don't think it's that Lockhart is overrated. It's that Austin's BBQ scene has elevated the game. I don't see anyone ever suggesting that the old Lockhart places are better than Franklin, La BBQ, etc. So if that's the case I'd say Lockhart is accurately rated.
What was the best BBQ joint in Austin 15 years ago? 20 years ago? 

15: SJJ's
20: rudy's

8 hours ago, bluto said:

Agree with the wtf on t black's love, Id put stiles above it even on their off days

I don't agree with putting Stiles above either of the other two on its very best day. The brisket has improved a lot in the past 2 years, but it had a long way to go.  It is only now to the "pretty good" range.  Their beef ribs are typically very good which is a plus, but I'm always going to base a rating for a BBQ restaurant in Texas on brisket, and SS lags the other two, even after their slow and steady improvement.

Maybe a new pitmaster has helped them, I haven't been in a few months.  And I'm not saying I hate SS, it's a good option for dinner BBQ.  But it's definitely the bottom of these three for me.

9 hours ago, Ollie Slatt said:

Those three all have ok (but not great) bbq.  Stiles Switch can be a bit inconsistent, but its good days are better than the other two.  Freedmens used to be a bit better, but I think they have gone through a few different pitmasters.  And the love for TB's on this thread is a bit of a mystery to me.  

Putting the food aside, Freedmen's has a much cooler ambiance, a bar, etc.   Overall its probably the best place to have a relaxing dinner with your out of town friends. 

This.  I would go to Freedmen's.  Especially since the building is probably going to be gone soon due to development.

3 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

This.  I would go to Freedmen's.  Especially since the building is probably going to be gone soon due to development.

I thought the building was staying but they were putting up a monstrosity around it.  pretty sure the freedmen’s building is a historic landmark and protected. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, XYZ said:

Is it true that at Franklyn the first thing they usually run out of is turkey? Cos if true, WTF? People stand in line all morning to get turkey??? Why is turkey even a thing?

If you don't at least order some brisket, you should have to move to the back of the line, because you obviously enjoy standing in line for no real reason.