Texas BBQ

Washpark

15 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

Read last week in the local Community Impact that John Brotherton will be a co-owner of a new joint in Round Rock - Liberty Barbecue.  I hope it works out for him as I've been impressed with his venture in Pflugerville - Brotherton's Black Iron Barbecue.  His last try in downtown Round Rock didn't turnout so well.

John is going in with his friend Tre Dotson to open Liberty. Tre was already doing bbq in Round Rock, but he and John concocted a plan to turn the existing business into Liberty Barbecue (so-named because John is from Liberty). Great move for Brotherton. A lot of the heavy lifting at Brotherton's Black Iron was already being done by his right hand man, so John will have the time necessary to tuning up the menu at Liberty.

Hey Champ, so will John Brotherton still be involved with Black Iron?  Does he have any ownership interest there?  Just wondering.  I'm all for a new, good place up there, but also don't want to see existing good places diminish.

Edited by utee94

8 hours ago, luke duke said:

If what I heard is true, John Lewis wasn’t making that when he left Franklin a few years ago.

50 minutes ago, ChampKind said:

$30-40k. If they're lucky

that’s a bit shocking, considering the hours.  but I don’t know anything about the business, I just consume the product. 

1 hour ago, ChampKind said:

John is going in with his friend Tre Dotson to open Liberty. Tre was already doing bbq in Round Rock, but he and John concocted a plan to turn the existing business into Liberty Barbecue (so-named because John is from Liberty). Great move for Brotherton. A lot of the heavy lifting at Brotherton's Black Iron was already being done by his right hand man, so John will have the time necessary to tuning up the menu at Liberty.

I'm happy to have Brotherton take another shot at a joint in Round Rock.  The powers that be are trying to make downtown Round Rock a destination restaurant/bar scene, but it's not quite there yet.  The number of restaurants that have failed in the last five years on those two blocks is pretty significant (including Brotherton's previous venture).  The rents in that area are high so they need high volume or really expensive menu.  Parking is not ideal and that could hinder customers.  He really needs to make a splash and get the word out quick.  I'll be there the week they open and hope it stays for a long time.

27 minutes ago, relapse98 said:

I pray I get there some day.

Don't.  It's a terrible place to be.

Growing up, my family owned a BBQ restaurant.  From about age 6, to age 16, I had all the BBQ I could ever want.  And more.

The restaurant business can be really tough, and there were times that were so lean that we didn't have a lot of money to buy food at the store, but we did have all of the day's leftovers from the restaurant.  Sometimes I'd go for weeks without tasting a single protein that wasn't smoked.  It sounds a whole lot better than it is in reality, and after ten years of that, when we finally sold the restaurant, I couldn't bring myself to eat BBQ for at least a couple of years.

I realize nobody's crying for me, nor should they.  We were fortunate to have food and shelter and clothes (although, since I worked at the restaurant so often, my clothes typically smelled like smoke).  But just believe me when I say, it really is possible to get really, really sick and tired of BBQ.

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

Believe it or not, it's possible to get really, really sick and tired of BBQ.  Everything in moderation.

Yeah I was a meat cutter in HS and college (in my case like 10+ years) and I didn't eat bbq for several years afterwards. That drought was pretty much ended by Mueller's on Manor road back in '05 or thereabouts. Then I started cooking at our tailgates and...  /csb

3 minutes ago, Focht Up said:

Me too.  The only problem is that my weight would skyrocket, so I'm forced into moderation.

Google keto. Granted almost noone does it where they are actually in keto, but still.  If you do it like 'everyone does', you eat all the meat you can and almost nothing else.

23 hours ago, Stella Link said:

Drove from Houston to Dallas a couple weeks ago and hadn't been to Woody's Smokehouse in Centerville in several years, so I thought I'd stop by for a late lunch.  Seemed like Woody's was a decent place, not the caliber that would make anyone's list for best BBQ, but decent enough to make a planned stop. 

Well, it's doubled in size since the last time I was there.  My overall impression is it's turned into an over-priced tourist trap.   The pork ribs were bland and fatty...not that much meat.  The brisket was dry and over-cooked.  Not many sides these days, so I had some beans.  They were salty.  For a few pork ribs and a few slices of brisket was $16, not including a drink.  Don't know if I caught Woody's on an off-day.

You to go woody's for sausage, jerky, and other sides.  I've never even bothered with the other stuff there. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, utee94 said:

Believe it or not, it's possible to get really, really sick and tired of BBQ.  Everything in moderation.

I can see getting tired of pok-e-jos or dickey’s or even rudy’s after years of constant consumption.  but not the top shelf shit. 

20 minutes ago, utee94 said:

You know nothing, Jon Snow.

thanks ygritte.  yeah if I buy a pok-e-jos franchise I sure won’t look forward to hitting that 10 year wall.  but until then I’ll continue to eat good bbq once or twice a week until I die and I’ll never get tired of it.

34 minutes ago, futureman said:

thanks ygritte.  yeah if I buy a pok-e-jos franchise I sure won’t look forward to hitting that 10 year wall.  but until then I’ll continue to eat good bbq once or twice a week until I die and I’ll never get tired of it.

Eat the very best you can find, pretty much every day for ten years, and you'll be sick of it.  No lie.  When you've done that for ten years, come back and talk to me.  Until then, you're dismissed.

3 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Eat the very best you can find, pretty much every day for ten years, and you'll be sick of it.  No lie.  When you've done that for ten years, come back and talk to me.  Until then, you're dismissed.

pretty sure your folks’ place wasn’t exactly churning out the high-end meat that people wait hours for.  I’d probably get tired of eating average bbq after 10 days, not 10 years.  I admire your pain tolerance.  

10 minutes ago, futureman said:

pretty sure your folks’ place wasn’t exactly churning out the high-end meat that people wait hours for.  I’d probably get tired of eating average bbq after 10 days, not 10 years.  I admire your pain tolerance.  

Pretty sure you're a complete dumbshit that doesn't know anything.  You've made that plainly obvious.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Futureman doesn't do very well with opposing opinions.  That's why he fits in so well around here.

Heh, it's the surl/shag, I'd expect nothing less than being challenged on meaningless crap.  It's kind of this place's whole purpose. :)

I'll hit the showers as well, gotta go prep for the angles-croats match on the pitch.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Heh, it's the surl/shag, I'd expect nothing less than being challenged on meaningless crap.  It's kind of this place's whole purpose. :)

I'll hit the showers as well, gotta go prep for the angles-croats match on the pitch.

New site but we can still argue about anything.

Has anyone stopped at Peter's BBQ (Next to Hruska's) in Ellinger?
I've always been curious, but also always focused on Kolache goodness, so it's never really dawned on me to go nextdoor. 

Was basically inedible when I went there after a football game roughly 8 years ago.

7 hours ago, Washpark said:

Plan to head to Snow's BBQ this Saturday. When can I call to put my order in beforehand? Any other tips?

You can call in Wed or Thursday.

They take credit cards for call in now.

Call in orders are to go only and are not sliced. There's a gazebo at the town square a block north of the store. There's also a town park with covered picnic tables on the highway just north of town.

Don't forget to get at least half a chicken. You'll wish you'd gotten more.

Get a pic with Tootsie and Kerry, (aka Snowman). They're great folks.

Enjoy.