Texas BBQ

Washpark

46 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I've never had their beef ribs.  Their brisket and pork spare ribs have been consistently very good every time I've been. I put them well above similar trailer-type places that tend to have short or zero lines.

Thanks man.  I'll give that a try.

$495 + Foodways Texas membership of $75/year.
And I'm kind of suprised you haven't done one yet. I see lots of the competition teams posting about holding camps, so I know there's at least a small market for it. 

IT WAS RHETORICAL, FARLEY!

I’ve talked about doing a class before, but honestly just not quite full of myself enough to have done one.

But I would, if enough folks had interest.

It's not often I can opine on these things, but I can in this case. I've had some spares from some of the better joints in Austin (no Franklin), and I've had them from Stiles Switch twice. The first time I would consider them among the best ribs I've ever tasted. The second time I felt they were a tad undercooked but the flavor profile in terms of dry rub and glaze is exactly what I'm looking for. I'm certainly not an authority on all things Central TX BBQ but I can't fathom shitting on those pork ribs based on my couple of visits. 

My wife happened to be leaving Houston and passing through Spring right before Corkscrew opened up so I had her bring home dinner. Even heated up 7 hours later for dinner it was all delicious.

757eab635525d2af23807d5d1340f151.jpg

She sent me some pics of the operation. One of them that caught my eye is the numbers they give to the first arriving people (I believe through around 26?) so that you can go wait off in the shade or your car without having to stand around. By the time she left the line was apparently around the building out to the parking lot.

c73da66a845adae799f88a3f6cb7b40e.jpg

eb4ddbf6c6ad914a772e27352750a6b8.jpg

82e42464c2538e374c94516e68c93be6.jpg

193d332f623e873e5f5b0019b5b8e563.jpg

• Like 1

I did the TM Top 50 in a span of eight months, so I don't remember specifics for every place (especially when I hit more than one place in a day).  Freedman's seems like a nice restaurant all around - waited tables, more than just barbecue, and a beautiful wall of bourbon.  We ordered to go, but I'd like to go back and have a nice sit down meal.

On 6/2/2018 at 4:54 PM, idigTexas said:

I only live a half mile from Whitfield's, so thought I would give it a shot today.  They opened at 11:00.  I arrived at 11:30 to find 3 people in line.  Normally, I would try brisket, pork ribs, and sausage on a first visit, but they apparently don't do sausage, so I was prepared to make do with the former two.  It took 15 minutes for the first two people to order, while others were still waiting for theirs to be filled.  No numbers are used to identify people.  Casey has to simply remember who ordered what, which didn't appear to be working very well.  Finally, the person in front of me was up, and was told that they only had 1/2 pound of ribs left, which he of course took.  Seriously? 

The sparse crowd eating on the premises, and the slow pace of service did not indicate that the place had been slammed since opening.  It's possible one of the first people in line ordered 20 pounds of ribs to go, but even so, when you only have 3 proteins by the pound on the menu (pulled pork was the third), and run out of one of them 45 minutes after opening on a Saturday, you need to get your shit together.  There is one smallish smoker on site, so maybe they are content to serve 20-30 people and call it a day. 

Maybe if they had some decent sides other than pickled seasonal fruits and veg, I would have stuck around, but I left without ordering.  The Whataburger I went and picked up instead was excellent.  I realize they just opened, so I will probably give them another chance on a whim while driving home sometime, but for planned 'cue dining, I will likely drive the extra 5 miles to Valentina's.     

I decided to stop in on a random afternoon last week, arriving around 2:30.  There was no line, and the only other person there was waiting for their order to be prepared.  The first thing I noticed was that the chalkboard menu had more variety than my first visit.  In addition to brisket, pulled pork, and pork ribs, 3 types of sausage (jalapeño cheese, beef, and Italian) were now being offered under the "by the pound" listings. 

Not wanting to waste anyone's time, I asked if they still had some of everything, and was surprised to hear "yes."  I ordered moist brisket, pork ribs, and beef sausage.  I also decided to try the pickled strawberries, just to make sure I wasn't missing anything. 

The brisket was uneven, with some bites being fairly good, while others were dry and had little flavor.  I'm a sometimes sauce guy, and did feel that in this case, the brisket needed it.  The sauce itself was a fairly standard thin red type that could be had at pretty much any barbecue joint that doesn't go above and beyond.    The ribs were some of the best I have ever had, featuring a simple salt and pepper rub, and smoked to perfection.  These did not get anywhere near the sauce.  The sausage was a tad on the dry side, but very tasty.  I would order it again.  I cannot say the same about the strawberries.  The texture was reminiscent of ones thawed from frozen, and the flavor was meh.  I did not finish them.

So far, this is not a place to satisfy serious brisket cravings, but I will definitely return to see if it improves, and will hope that the ribs are consistently awesome.  I realize that 2:30 in the afternoon isn't exactly prime time, but the lack of any line and still having all menu items available, while being good for me, is probably not a good sign for this truck surviving.  I would not go miles out of your way, but if it's convenient, you may want to try it while you can, especially if you like pork ribs.     

2 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

I did the TM Top 50 in a span of eight months, so I don't remember specifics for every place (especially when I hit more than one place in a day).  Freedman's seems like a nice restaurant all around - waited tables, more than just barbecue, and a beautiful wall of bourbon.  We ordered to go, but I'd like to go back and have a nice sit down meal.

The entire top 50?  Props to you sir.

17 hours ago, XYZ said:

In Austin, I have eaten BBQ from Franklin, La Barbecue, Micklethwait, Stiles Switch, Salt Lick, and Brown’s. Which place should I try next? Brisket is my thing. Thanks.

The above recs of Kerlin and Valentina's are spot on.  I will add that you should check out Leroy & Lewis on one of the days they are serving beef cheeks.  Not exactly like brisket, but close and damn delicious.  

10 hours ago, idigTexas said:

I decided to stop in on a random afternoon last week, arriving around 2:30.  There was no line, and the only other person there was waiting for their order to be prepared.  The first thing I noticed was that the chalkboard menu had more variety than my first visit.  In addition to brisket, pulled pork, and pork ribs, 3 types of sausage (jalapeño cheese, beef, and Italian) were now being offered under the "by the pound" listings. 

Not wanting to waste anyone's time, I asked if they still had some of everything, and was surprised to hear "yes."  I ordered moist brisket, pork ribs, and beef sausage.  I also decided to try the pickled strawberries, just to make sure I wasn't missing anything. 

The brisket was uneven, with some bites being fairly good, while others were dry and had little flavor.  I'm a sometimes sauce guy, and did feel that in this case, the brisket needed it.  The sauce itself was a fairly standard thin red type that could be had at pretty much any barbecue joint that doesn't go above and beyond.    The ribs were some of the best I have ever had, featuring a simple salt and pepper rub, and smoked to perfection.  These did not get anywhere near the sauce.  The sausage was a tad on the dry side, but very tasty.  I would order it again.  I cannot say the same about the strawberries.  The texture was reminiscent of ones thawed from frozen, and the flavor was meh.  I did not finish them.

So far, this is not a place to satisfy serious brisket cravings, but I will definitely return to see if it improves, and will hope that the ribs are consistently awesome.  I realize that 2:30 in the afternoon isn't exactly prime time, but the lack of any line and still having all menu items available, while being good for me, is probably not a good sign for this truck surviving.  I would not go miles out of your way, but if it's convenient, you may want to try it while you can, especially if you like pork ribs.     

Daniel?

• Like 1

Like several food trailer owners, Micklethwait wants to open a brick & mortar restaurant.  At least he's smart enough not to try it in Austin with the high costs and competition.  He has a chance of having a small town destination barbecue joint like Louis Mueller's, Truth, Cooper's, etc.

He is supposed to keep the trailer open in Austin.  Time will tell if he is able to to both and keep the quality up.

Edited by Jerry Callo
  • Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 8:25 PM, Okie State said:

I was lucky enough to hit up Corkscrew one day on my way back into town with almost no line. It was probably the best brisket I've ever had.

Corkscrew is our go to.  When I'm not traveling for business I office out of the house.  Once a week, I'll head over to Corkscrew, get there about 10:30 or so and grab a number.  Wife will head over from her office to meet me at 11:15 after I've ordered.  Always phenomenal.  One of the only joints I've ever frequented often that has not had a single miss in all the times I've been there.  If you haven't had it, you're doing yourself a disservice.  Find a way.

I'll have to go back to Corkscrew.  My daughter (no pics) and I went in September after a soccer game in Tomball.  We'd already eaten at Tejas, so we got some food to go.  It was good, but I need to eat it fresh at the restaurant to really experience it.  Tejas is one of my favorites in Texas, so its hard not to go there when we are in the area.

3 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

Like several food trailer owners, Micklethwait wants to open a brick & mortar restaurant.  At least he's smart enough not to try it in Austin with the high costs and competition.  He has a chance of having a small town destination barbecue joint like Louis Mueller's, Truth, Cooper's, etc.

He is supposed to keep the trailer open in Austin.  Time will tell if he is able to to both and keep the quality up.

Lots of traffic on 71 also.  A good bbq spot will do well there.

38 minutes ago, TPCJ007 said:

This is a real bummer man.  I don't love Freedmen's Q, but that is a really cool building.  

On 6/28/2018 at 8:36 AM, Jerry Callo said:

Wish someone would open a place in Fredericksburg (or out that way) - nothing that far out that is much worth a damn, same for Kerrville

Edited by NoName

3 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Parents just came back from houston/Galveston for a few days and had bbq at a place called queens...

They said it was shit and they poured a vinaigrette gravy over everything. They were disappointed. Anyone else experience this tragedy?

Queens has been around a long time. Good sides and menu (I stay away from straight bbq). Don’t order the brisket.