Texas BBQ

Washpark

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

Hit up Lockhart's in Plano on Sunday.  Meh...

Man, I really wanted to like it.  I did.  I need a staple near where I live besides Hutchins in Frisco and Hard 8's in the The Colony.  Cool place.  Got their around 6pm.  Their "lean" brisket was dry.  Real dry.  Fatty was better.  Good flavor.  Good bark.  Sausage, which the kids like, was bland (regular, not jalapeno).  Pork ribs were dry also.  Dry and chewy.  So maybe everything had been sitting around, but it was very underwhelming.  Best thing I had was the 10% Belgium triple Freaky Deaky.  

So Pecan Lodge is still my favorite until I can get around to Cattleacks for lunch.  

Ten 50 is quite comfortably the best BBQ north of 635 imo. Overpriced but what isn't these days *sigh*. The brisket torpedoes are criminally good. 

Honestly for the price, Sonny Bryan's is not bad. There just aren't a lot of great BBQ places in Dallas for some reason. Smoky Rose and Lakewood Smokehouse are both decent but too uppity for my taste. 

If I can throw my hat in the ring, City Market in Luling remains my favorite joint in Texas. For Texas BBQ they sure make the shit out of some pork ribs. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ztejas said:

The brisket torpedoes are criminally good. 

Stuffed brisket jalapeno wrapped in bacon?  I've done this with a dry-ass flat before that I screwed up on.  Also made potato-bombs.  Used an apple corer.  Take two plugs from either side, hollow out the potato, stuff full of meat and cheese, then put the two ends back in and wrap in foil and smoke low and slow.  Serve sliced down the middle.  Trust me, I've found many a ways to hide my brisket mishaps.....sigh....

7 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Stuffed brisket jalapeno wrapped in bacon?  I've done this with a dry-ass flat before that I screwed up on.  Also made potato-bombs.  Used an apple corer.  Take two plugs from either side, hollow out the potato, stuff full of meat and cheese, then put the two ends back in and wrap in foil and smoke low and slow.  Serve sliced down the middle.  Trust me, I've found many a ways to hide my brisket mishaps.....sigh....

Eggs are the best way to hide any mishap (or just shitty brisket) in my experience. Chop it up, throw some cheese and onions in there. Pretty hard to fuck that one up. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

Man, I really wanted to like it.  I did.  I need a staple near where I live besides Hutchins in Frisco and Hard 8's in the The Colony. 

Hutchins McKinney location >>> Frisco location.  Line might be longer in McKinney, but the food's noticeably better, too.

6 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Line in Frisco isn't great.  But then again, neither is the food, so there's that....

They seriously need to close the Frisco location; it's harming their reputation. I've had numerous people roll their eyes at me when, after soliciting a barbecue recommendation, I mention Hutchins.  All had only eaten at the Frisco location.  All returned afterward raving about the OG Hutchins in McKinney.  It's definitely worth a try if you've never been.  

Also, if Celina isn't too far out of your way, Tender Smokehouse is pretty good, too.  I wouldn't drive an hour for it, but it's a good option if you're close.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/tender-smokehouse-2017/

Edited by Dutch
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mdleast said:

Peggy Sue’s brisker quesadillas are great. That and a side salad are my standing order. However, I’ve always been disappointed with their actual BBQ plates.

fully agree on quesadillas but I haven’t had them post-ownership change.  I do know that the new owners fucked up the spicy sauce and took the spare ribs off the menu.  they should be shot for either of those mistakes, much less both.  if I didn’t love the employees who’ve been working there for decades I probably wouldn’t go anymore.  

Went to 2M in San Antonio on Friday. Got there at noon and waited in line for 10 minutes. Serrano Oaxaca sausage was excellent, ribs were very good, brisket was good but not top tier. The beans tasted like homemade ranch style beans rather than charro beans, and the macaroni and cheese with chicharones on top was delicious. They had potato bread instead of white bread, and their sauce they call bbq syrup...and it does have the consistency of syrup, which I did not care for.

3ce6c6ba4fc1b667e0df35fd8f50945a.jpg3bd5005b7101258d7fee931a916a20ff.jpg65b66ccbeb42ef6a2de5dcefc2dfe030.jpg

3 hours ago, Etexhorn13 said:

Bad stiles switch after the game Saturday. I hadn’t been since I was in school in probably 2012... I was really impressed, especially with it being around 8 pm. Super solid, especially for being a place that cooks all day. 

I think you meant "Had" not "Bad". 

I had SS early last week and it was fantastic.  I was stunned by how good the brisket was, even knowing they hired Braun from Franklin.

• Like 2

On 9/19/2018 at 10:40 AM, BabaYaga said:

Man, I really wanted to like it.  I did.  I need a staple near where I live besides Hutchins in Frisco and Hard 8's in the The Colony.  Cool place.  Got their around 6pm.  Their "lean" brisket was dry.  Real dry.  Fatty was better.  Good flavor.  Good bark.  Sausage, which the kids like, was bland (regular, not jalapeno).  Pork ribs were dry also.  Dry and chewy.  So maybe everything had been sitting around, but it was very underwhelming.  Best thing I had was the 10% Belgium triple Freaky Deaky.  

So Pecan Lodge is still my favorite until I can get around to Cattleacks for lunch.  

10 Fifty in Richardson off 75 has improved past Lockhart in Plano in my opinion.  Wasn't once that way, but my last few meals at each have been better at 10 Fifty. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Llewelyn Moss said:

I’m going to be in Lindale visiting family later this month. Have time to visit either Bodacious or Stanley’s. Which would you choose? I’m guessing I’ll be fine either way.

I’ll be able to try whichever place I don’t make it to this time, in the future, but not sure how long that will be. 

Bodacious.  Stanley’s is really good, but go for Bodacious (I assume you are referring to the Bodacious on Mobberly in Longview).

445b69ffa86f4fe67bd921c697d75dcd.jpghappy to report Flores In Whitney is really really good. Worth the trip. Owners are extremely nice, friendly and engaging.

Brisket is a 8.8/10. Most moist I’ve had in a long time.
Ribs were good, turkey was really good

Best side was the jalapeño cream corn. Perfectly balanced heat and sweet corn

Bottom line, not a top 10, but definitely a top 20. Very well executed que, my only critique to not put it in top ten is that it needs a bit more smoke flavor. If it had that it would be Snow’s in Lexington great.

Will go back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

445b69ffa86f4fe67bd921c697d75dcd.jpghappy to report Flores In Whitney is really really good. Worth the trip. Owners are extremely nice, friendly and engaging.

Brisket is a 8.8/10. Most moist I’ve had in a long time.
Ribs were good, turkey was really good

Best side was the jalapeño cream corn. Perfectly balanced heat and sweet corn

Bottom line, not a top 10, but definitely a top 20. Very well executed que, my only critique to not put it in top ten is that it needs a bit more smoke flavor. If it had that it would be Snow’s in Lexington great.

Will go back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Needs more smoke? Interesting, seeing how they cook on Moberg stick burners. Not sure how you get more smoke than by using straight wood. Or did you mean more creosote flavor?

23 hours ago, AustinMT said:

Bodacious.  Stanley’s is really good, but go for Bodacious (I assume you are referring to the Bodacious on Mobberly in Longview).

23 hours ago, mdleast said:

What he said. Especially if going for highest quality Q as your priority. Stanley’s is a very cool, big location with good BBQ. Bodacious has excellent BBQ in just a location.

Thank you gentlemen. Bodacious it is. 

5 hours ago, LebongJames said:

Went to Coopers downtown. May have been the worst brisket I’ve had in a long time. 

FWIW, it is no better on the northside of FW.  The myth that Cooper's has good barbecue and Joe T Garcia has good Mexican food continues to amaze and amuse me.  But the tourists pack both of these places as religiously as Cowboy fans pack Jerryworld.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, pch said:

FWIW, it is no better on the northside of FW.  The myth that Cooper's has good barbecue and Joe T Garcia has good Mexican food continues to amaze and amuse me.  But the tourists pack both of these places as religiously as Cowboy fans pack Jerryworld.

So few places live up to their reputation. Joe T's has great atmosphere and at best second rate food. I have had better food at Pancho's. 

On 9/21/2018 at 2:18 PM, futureman said:

fully agree on quesadillas but I haven’t had them post-ownership change.  I do know that the new owners fucked up the spicy sauce and took the spare ribs off the menu.  they should be shot for either of those mistakes, much less both.  if I didn’t love the employees who’ve been working there for decades I probably wouldn’t go anymore.  

That is sad to hear. Didn't know it was sold. Honestly the BBQ isn't that great but holy fuck what a great time machine to get in when you go there. I love that place. It is everything HP isn't.