Texas BBQ

Washpark

23 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

Had lunch yesterday at Freedmen's. Wanted to go before they shut down. Brisket, sausage, pork ribs, and smoked mushrooms. Everything was cooked well with great flavor.

In College Station this weekend for soccer and might give Kreuz a shot. I'm a fan of the Lockhart version.

Snow's...or if you can't swing that Fargo's.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jerry Callo said:
1 hour ago, IDIOTsavant said:
Snow's...or if you can't swing that Fargo's.

Can't do Snow's this trip due to soccer games. Been to Fargo twice and wasn't all that impressed - could have been all the damn Aggies that were there the second time, though.

And if you cant swing any of that, LJs or Truth in Brenham. 

On 8/10/2018 at 5:29 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

Went with my brother and his kids to Blue Hole to close out the summer. Planned on Terry Black’s but due to the mixed reviews and Austin’s uber shitty traffic, I called an audible and went Valentina’s. I had breakfast there before but not a full lunch spread. Was goddamn great.

JdEjEyUW_o.jpeg

I have to call this a minor fail.  While no one should ever go to Valentina's just for the tortillas, to forgo them in lieu of bread is no bueno in my opinion.  It looked like an A outing regardless, but could have been an A+.

• Like 2

Chopped tonight had the guys from 2M and Truth and a couple of people I've never heard of. The guy from Truth won it. I find the competitions hokie... they have BBQ ingredients but it ain't BBQ. And it's nice to see my friend Ernie doing great things, now as a judge on Chopped.

Edited by relapse98

On 8/20/2018 at 9:45 PM, Both Tacos said:
On 8/18/2018 at 4:46 PM, RMac5 said:
Ate at Flores BBQ in Whitney on Thursday and it was great. Had fatty brisket, turkey, homemade sausage and a couple of pork ribs. If you in the area it’s worth the detour off of 35

The TX BBQ Posse just had a write up about this place and it sounds like a solid bbq joint.

My buddy that won the Rib Cookoff with me is in that group and he said it's fucking terrific.

Yeah it will become a weekly thing for me for a while. I travel up to  Ft. Worth on Thursday’s and it’s just the perfect time to run by there and eat.

Food was great and the staff were super friendly as well. 

Edited by RMac5

1 hour ago, horncyclist said:

What's the line at Franklin like these days. Thinking of going g tomorrow. Would like to wait in the shade? 730, 8 am?

It's consistently the same as it always is. Fucking long as shit and filled with tourists. With this heat wave, get there early like 7 am. Or do yourself a favor and save the hassle and just go over to La BBQ. 

• Like 2

Nah, I’m old af. So I knew your meaning

Btw, finally got to feed my sausage to PatricioSwayze. He seemed to enjoy it

It’s true. And I am not ashamed. Sorry, took this photo after my brother and I already had gotten our dirty mitts on Champ’s meat.

uDU1hTzQ_o.jpeg

Also, wore my Buck’s search all day in my wife’s hometown in Brazil. It didn’t get the same reaction as when I wore it to Tejas Chocolate. You need to step up your game.
  • Like 3

It's consistently the same as it always is. Fucking long as shit and filled with tourists. With this heat wave, get there early like 7 am. Or do yourself a favor and save the hassle and just go over to La BBQ. 
Thanks. I'm gonna do Snow's instead. Figure I can drive out there and back in half the time I'd be waiting at Franklin. Plan to get there at 730 am. Will that do it?

Evie Mae’s in Lubbock. 

Brisket - great consistency and bark. Comparable to Mickelwaites 

Pork Ribs - amazing. Reminded me of same rub as Stiles Switch but feel these were more moist and delicious. Some of the best 

green Chile cheese sausage - very meh. Didn’t taste green Chiles and barely any cheese. 

Overall really impressed. 

20 hours ago, Anastasis said:

I am pretty sure the point in that video was being cut with the grain. 

Hum-what?

Actually, it's both against and with the grain, that in between part. Bonus for not separating the flat and the point before slicing. I will allow it.

Edited by DougO

4 hours ago, kevwun said:

Leonard Botello, who runs Truth, competed on Chopped last night.  He lost in the first round, which was almost a relief because damn that show is terrible.

Yeah.  I recorded and watched the Texas version.  I had nothing to do with barbecue.  I almost turned it off when the female contestant called herself the queen of Texas barbecue.

Yeah.  I recorded and watched the Texas version.  I had nothing to do with barbecue.  I almost turned it off when the female contestant called herself the queen of Texas barbecue.

She sounds like she deserves a kick in the pussy, unless Tootsie was the contestant.
  • Like 1

On 8/29/2018 at 2:27 PM, Jerry Callo said:

I had nothing to do with barbecue.

Ernie was right (which is probably why he was a previous winner) - chop up the brisket and do something with it like that. 30 minutes isn't near enough to do anything real with it.

I almost turned it off when the female contestant called herself the queen of Texas barbecue.

My wife snorted when she said that and said "I don't see Ms. Tootsie on my TV".  Seriously, if you know Texas BBQ, you really should know to not use the phrase 'Queen of Texas BBQ' to refer to anyone other than Tootsie. That alone should have gotten her kicked off.

• Like 1