Texas BBQ

Washpark

2 hours ago, C-Man said:

Ah, is that not a standard design from Moberg these days? I know next-to-nothing about Moberg except that seems to be the gold standard among Texas-fab offset smokers these days. Bill Dumas, pitmaster at The Switch, said the Moberg's hold steady heat like nothing he's used. Guess they have Kloses at Stiles Switch and he said they were constantly tweaking things to normalize the temp. (I have the same issues with my Klose backyard offset.)

Stiles Switch took delivery on their Moberg's back in August.

15 minutes ago, futureman said:

it’s a fucked waste of time.  they take a good beef rib and taint it, then charge you $30.  suckers only, and I’m one of them. 

Jack Allen's in Austin has a fried beef rib on the regular menu. Comes with green chile gravy.  And a side of stents.

9 hours ago, ChampKind said:

They’re putting out some really good stuff over there.

you guys must have the same boudain source.  it's exactly the same as at Buck's.  In fact, I would say you guys are producing very similar product at least with brisket, ribs and boudain.  your ribs are a bit different in flavor profile, but a similar style.  Brisket pretty much identical.  That is a compliment to both of you.  I would be happy to eat at either place any day of the week.  I'm never really at greenway so I doubt I eat there much.  definitely recommend to anyone in the area.  oh, I think both your greens and beans are better than theirs, and theirs were both really good.  

Blood Bros is in the Bellaire triangle (outside the loop). They are hoping to open for business on Thursday. Good dudes. But not near the med center.

Closest to the med center would be my place, and Pit Room.

I mean, don’t get me wrong here, everyone should go eat your place as often as possible, but it looks like Blood Bros and your place are equidistant from the med center.

As soon as my brother decides to not work from home, I plan on coming by.

the food isn’t bad but just a word of warning: champ is a real jerk, just awful to his customers.  get ready to be ridiculed based on your appearance and ethnic background. 

Nah, I’m a swell guy. Just bc I’m friends with SJJ doesn’t mean I get all stabby like he does. At least not as often.

Drop in and see me, XYZ. You’ll enjoy your visit or I’ll pay for your meal.

19 hours ago, ChampKind said:

Blood Bros is in the Bellaire triangle (outside the loop). They are hoping to open for business on Thursday. Good dudes. But not near the med center.

Closest to the med center would be my place, and Pit Room.

this is going to be the closest bbq to my house other than Feges, but Feges is only open for lunch.  You vouch for these guys and their bbq?

55 minutes ago, ChampKind said:

Nah, I’m a swell guy. Just bc I’m friends with SJJ doesn’t mean I get all stabby like he does. At least not as often.

Drop in and see me, XYZ. You’ll enjoy your visit or I’ll pay for your meal.

I know.  I was just trying to get the rumor mill going that you were tough to deal with.  for no good reason, either.  there’s probably something wrong with me. 

and I always got along great with SJJ.  

Edited by futureman

Stopped by Liberty Barbecue in Round Rock today for lunch (their 1st lunch service).  As I stated above, it is a table service as opposed to counter service restaurant.  Menu today was similar to this:

48363367_269867007028518_400518297920575 

I didn't get my usual by-the-pound, but tried several of the items (brisket, sausage, & turkey).  Instead, I got The B.O.B. in the off-the-menu "41" version (a tribute to GHWB), which included chopped beef, pulled pork, & queso on the brioche bun.  John Brotherton does great everyday barbecue, but the other items are going to be his signatures - much like at Brotherton's Black Iron Barbecue in Pflugerville.  He took the current space over from a pizza joint and uses the brick oven for the flatbreads.

If I stay awake the remainder of the afternoon after this sandwich, I'll be doing good.

48080096_266059434075942_231449803833003

Edited by Jerry Callo
  • Like 3

Stopped by Liberty Barbecue in Round Rock today for lunch (their 1st lunch service).  As I stated above, it is a table service as opposed to counter service restaurant.  Menu today was similar to this:
48363367_269867007028518_4005182979205758976_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.xx&oh=8d68d49d6c3567948363278918f9e9d6&oe=5C9222AE 
I didn't get my usual by-the-pound, but tried several of the items (brisket, sausage, & turkey).  Instead, I got The B.O.B. in the off-the-menu "41" version (a tribute to GHWB), which included chopped beef, pulled pork, & queso on the brioche bun.  John Brotherton does great everyday barbecue, but the other items are going to be his signatures - much like at Brotherton's Black Iron Barbecue in Pflugerville.  He took the current space over from a pizza joint and uses the brick oven for the flatbreads.
If I stay awake the remainder of the afternoon after this sandwich, I'll be doing good.
48080096_266059434075942_2314498038330032128_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.xx&oh=81e759822205c70d0190ad2c48ccfc51&oe=5CD9E113

Huh, who would have ever thought about doing bbq based flatbreads?!

I keed. Brotherton is my boy and we constantly talk shit about people who come up with some “new” way to use bbq in non-bbq dishes. You know, like tex-mex. Or flatbreads.

Go spend money with him. He’s a great dude, a good friend, and a very good cook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

43 minutes ago, futureman said:

sandwich looks delicious but I’d rather have a little bbq sauce on that meat than queso.  not saying I wouldn’t eat it. 

WhyNotBoth.jpg

2 minutes ago, ChampKind said:

Huh, who would have ever thought about doing bbq based flatbreads?!

I keed. Brotherton is my boy and we constantly talk shit about people who come up with some “new” way to use bbq in non-bbq dishes. You know, like tex-mex. Or flatbreads.

Go spend money with him. He’s a great dude, a good friend, and a very good cook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or, even, using a "new" word like "flatbread" to describe pizza! ;)

1 hour ago, ChampKind said:

Honestly don’t know. But I know we did Banh Mi at Pappa Charlie’s four years ago. And tacos five years ago. And enchiladas four years ago. We were doing goofyque before it became popular.

One of these days I'll make it to Houston when you are doing your full menu.  I'm only in the Houston area on weekends and the next planned weekend is the first weekend in June.  Until then, I'm happy to have a decent barbecue place in Round Rock.  

2 hours ago, ChampKind said:

Well when you see Brotherton next, tell him Buchanan said “sup” and that his sock game is weak.

And fyi, I run the full menu from 11a to 5p Tuesday through Saturday

Will do.  I'll probably take the family sometime in the next week and get the full flight of by-the-pound meats.

Last trip to Houston was for a Sunday game and you only had the bar menu at LL.  We went to The Pit Room instead.

9 minutes ago, ChampKind said:

The boys at Reveille. I can’t get behind the #sausagewars going on rn. Sausage should be ground meat and spices. Maybe some cheese.

Think I'm with you on that one. I stroll through the meat department at Central Market or Whole Foods and see sausages with blueberries and shit in them and wonder who the hell eats this shit. I think I'd at least try the Banh Mi version, though.