Texas BBQ

Washpark

Stopped by Guess Family Barbecue in Waco yesterday after dropping the family off at Magnolia. Small food trailer that opened at 11:00 and was out of food by 12:30.

Brisket was great - perfectly cooked, perfectly seasoned. I wanted the beef & pork sausage to be better than it was. It has a coarser grind, which I like, but was just too salty.b1e3a9689ed906de92f46b8a49316e2f.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shaddie said:

Any recs for Abilene? Passing thru on to west Texas (ughhh) for a couple of days. 

Stillwater is the only Abilene barbecue joint on the TM Top 50, although it wasn't great.  Pody's in Pecos and Evie Mae's outside of Lubbock are much better, if you happen to be passing near either of them.

15 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

Stopped by Guess Family Barbecue in Waco yesterday after dropping the family off at Magnolia. Small food trailer that opened at 11:00 and was out of food by 12:30.

Brisket was great - perfectly cooked, perfectly seasoned. I wanted the beef & pork sausage to be better than it was. It has a coarser grind, which I like, but was just too salty.b1e3a9689ed906de92f46b8a49316e2f.jpg

Guess is legit. 

Tried Brett's BBQ in Katy the other day. I think he opened up 2-3 months ago in the old Nonmacher's location. Just needed a quick bite to hold us over until dinner so we only got the brisket and sausage. Ordered a mix of moist and lean brisket and it was very good. Sausage was just okay. I've heard the ribs, both pork and beef, were good so I'll try those next time.

Hope he keeps it up because it was by far the best brisket I've had in the Katy area.

Spending a week in College Station while the dog has her surgery. Think I'm going to drive and hit Truth one day, then leave really early Saturday morning and hit Snow's on the way back to Austin. Should help compensate for being in aggyland for that long.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Deej said:

Spending a week in College Station while the dog has her surgery. Think I'm going to drive and hit Truth one day, then leave really early Saturday morning and hit Snow's on the way back to Austin. Should help compensate for being in aggyland for that long.

That's a great plan.  Blue Moon isn't bad, but its in the middle of nowhere.  Been to Fargo's in Bryan twice and wasn't impressed.

Pretty sure they are close to moving into a brick and mortar location.

about 6 months out per word on the street....right up the road on 6th and Columbus.

they’re moving their ramen shop in with them, too. if you’ve never had ramen with brisket and ribs and the stock made from pork bones and brisket trimmings, do yourself a favor and indulge. you know you want it.

On 12/29/2018 at 11:30 AM, Deej said:

Think Truth is closed for a while to open the Houston location, and Snows closed for a January break as well. 

Had to give Stiky Ribz another try and they disappointed again. Ribs this time around weren't dry and actually tasted pretty good. Turkey was average as well as the brisket, bark had almost no flavor to it. Mac and cheese was really creamy and the banana pudding was solid. Despite all of the rave reviews, they are still number two in Forney behind 4T's BBQ.

On 12/29/2018 at 11:30 AM, Deej said:

Skipping Good Bull BBQ?

27073330_1546922698695455_44663107266476

22814485_1451561884898204_63679122900086

Stillwater is the only Abilene barbecue joint on the TM Top 50, although it wasn't great.  Pody's in Pecos and Evie Mae's outside of Lubbock are much better, if you happen to be passing near either of them.

Stopped at Stillwater on our way to Ruidoso this summer. You could do worse.

Just now, Jerry Callo said:
10 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Stopped at Stillwater on our way to Ruidoso this summer. You could do worse.

We were on the middle of the TM Top 50 at the time. Compared to others, it wasn't even close. Probably not bad for Abilene, but third best in West Texas, at best.

Don't get me wrong -- sounds like Evie Mae's is much, much better. The folks were nice in there and it was a nice way to break up a long car trip.

Anyone ever tried Willow's? First I have heard of them. 

Then you don’t read this thread. He is a friend of a good friend of mine. Second time I had his bbq was at said friend’s wedding. His bbq is quality. And a matter of fact, I strayed away from my usual order at all bbq joints and had the Brisket Hug at his truck today. It was fucking delicious.

600Zd6hX_o.jpeg

Do yourself a favor and check him out before he makes the next top 50 and there will he a giant ass line.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Then you don’t read this thread. He is a friend of a good friend of mine. Second time I had his bbq was at said friend’s wedding. His bbq is quality. And a matter of fact, I strayed away from my usual order at all bbq joints and had the Brisket Hug at his truck today. It was fucking delicious.

600Zd6hX_o.jpeg

Do yourself a favor and check him out before he makes the next top 50 and there will he a giant ass line.

Bold move ... showing us you drink faux Big Red. 

Edited by VirginiaLonghorn
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1