Texas BBQ

Washpark

6 minutes ago, Longhorn Al said:

Smitty's didn't even exist until the early 2000s.  It was Kreuz since 1900 before the family split it up.  Neither had sauce till recently.

smitty’s didn’t exist in name but it’s in the old place.  kreuz is the new place.  

but it doesn’t matter anyway...  [ smitty’s + kreuz < black’s ]

• Like 1

Ate at City Limits in Crandall again today. Can’t recommend this place enough. Clean, comfy, friendly, and all things delicious. Husband and wife team are there and kicking ass Wed-Sun. 

Killed a rack of ribs while wife had the brisket. And then the amazing pecan pie. 

No pics.  Sorry. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, After irth said:

Ate at City Limits in Crandall again today. Can’t recommend this place enough. Clean, comfy, friendly, and all things delicious. Husband and wife team are there and kicking ass Wed-Sun. 

Killed a rack of ribs while wife had the brisket. And then the amazing pecan pie. 

No pics.  Sorry. 

did you swing by the braggs and tell them their son is a shit for going to tree?

Tried Truth in Houston today. I have been to the Brenham location a few times. We got there at 11 and the parking lot was packed and line was 20 deep. Line moved quickly. Perhaps the fastest I have seen a line move at a bbq spot. I had brisket and their hot link they call “Texas Hot Guts”. Some beans as well. Everything was excellent. First time having their hot link, which was pretty damn good.

fVetHm6Q_o.jpeg

• Like 3

Went to Flores today...apparently everyone is trying to go before they move. Line was to the door at open and saw quite a few walk up and leave. Others were saying how they never have to wait

I had their housemade spicy pickles(very good) wirh some sides of brisket,turkey,ribs and regular sausage

Everything was top notch including the peach cobbler (in container). Picked up one of the ribs and the meat just fell right off the bone.

If you want to try it out before move this weekend get there about a hour before close just to be safe...when i was ordering at noonish they were already on last brisketc0f282d77a61e2fa2346099da32fad27.jpg7580d615fe99d30ab6f6bf63b7c11768.jpg

• Like 1

On 1/29/2019 at 9:54 PM, Bone3421 said:

Yeah...think im going run down there thursday so i can say/compare OG location to new one in ft.worth

Hope he doesnt mail in last weekend of whitney spot

Doesn't look like he mailed it in ;)

That shit looks fantastic across the board.

1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Tried Truth in Houston today. I have been to the Brenham location a few times. We got there at 11 and the parking lot was packed and line was 20 deep. Line moved quickly. Perhaps the fastest I have seen a line move at a bbq spot. I had brisket and their hot link they call “Texas Hot Guts”. Some beans as well. Everything was excellent. First time having their hot link, which was pretty damn good.

fVetHm6Q_o.jpeg

Report on the pickles? Actually had Truth yesterday, loved the brisket but thought the hot link was just okay. 

17 hours ago, After irth said:

No pics.  Sorry. 

thanks for the heads up. pass by it all the time to take 148 to Kemp. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

fVetHm6Q_o.jpeg

The term "hot guts" originated at Elgin's Southside Market. I remember, as a kid, going to Elgin for hot guts. 

Elgin (pronounced EL as in elbow, and ghin, as is begin) is a small farming town just northeast of Austin, celebrated nationwide for their barbecue sausage. The sausage known as the “hot gut” originated at the Southside Market, a meat market/smokehouse which opened in 1886. It’s a medium-coarse grind, all-beef, natural casing sausage flavored with garlic, black pepper, and cayenne. Over the years several copies have sprung up, and the original market-barbecue restaurant has moved to shiny new digs. Sadly, the hot guts of today, made by all of the big Elgin companies, are tamer and leaner than those of yore. They’re still quite good though.

http://www.bbqcrashcourse.com/pages/sausageology

And they are correct,  they aren't the same today. 

• Like 1

You should go check it out and report back.  Or call ahead to make sure.  If not, you should give Liberty Barbecue in Round Rock a try.

I should only take counsel from Jerry Gallo from now on.

Black Box does not look like it is open today. No one around setting up for the day and everything is shuttered. No smoke. They should probably change their phone message.

So Louie Mueller’s or Cyclone Corral BBQ? I am not headed back towards Round Rock.

On 1/29/2019 at 3:24 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

Yep, do this. And not at City Market. It was bad the last time I went through there. As in bad bad. Stop at Black’s.

Man, who was it, I think Daniel Vaughn or someone else on his podcast (don't hold me to that, but I have heard someone say it) that said that the 4th BBQ joint in Lockhart, Chisholm Trail, has gotten their shit together and is supposedly putting out good meats now.

1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I should only take counsel from Jerry Gallo from now on.

Black Box does not look like it is open today. No one around setting up for the day and everything is shuttered. No smoke. They should probably change their phone message.

So Louie Mueller’s or Cyclone Corral BBQ? I am not headed back towards Round Rock.

If you chose LM, you're still in line.  If you try Cyclone, take some pics and give a report.  I've never heard of it.

If you chose LM, you're still in line.  If you try Cyclone, take some pics and give a report.  I've never heard of it.

Haha. It is true that LM line is slow. Only slower place is Gatlin in Houston. But I am already back on the road. Bbq was great.

A friend mentioned Cyclone. I hadn’t heard of it either. Maybe next time. Or someone in this area can get a report.
  • Like 1

Cyclone Corral - the bbq is good, but nobody would ever mistake it for a current Texas Monthly top 50 place.   I like it better when they do a catering job instead of eating at the restaurant.   I'm pretty sure its still only open from like April to October.  It's a very large open air pavilion for the dining area with a shitload of fans blowing to keep it tolerable during the summer.  It's good for large groups.   It's great if you are a big eater, they serve it all you can eat family style so you can get your money's worth that way.  

Made a final run to Flores yesterday, it was so damn good. Hate to see them leave but definitely understand it. He told me he will be adding three more smokers. Best of luck to them, they are great at what they do.f7358eedee5bb1e91bb06da6ca7dedd0.jpg
How was the line...was packed yesterday(didnt quote first message)

This was on Thursday, I was there the same day as you. I’m actually in that picture you posted, I’m standing in the doorway wearing the white shirt and the bald head.
Nice lol...i was wearing a blue grey sweater

You sat at the "bar" right...i saw you and was like i bet he is on surly lol

Micklethwait Craft Meats, one of Austin’s very best barbecue trucks, is opening its first brick-and-mortar restaurant up in Smithville starting on Saturday, February 9. Micklethwait Market and Grocery will be found in the downtown Smithville area at 114 Northeast 2nd Street.

The market-style restaurant will serve a similar menu to the food truck: sausages, brisket, pulled lamb, pork and beef ribs, and barbacoa; sides like jalapeno-cheese grits, lemon-poppy slaw, and creamy potatoes gratin; and desserts like buttermilk pie, cobblers, and banana pudding.

Special to the new Micklethwait is a grocery store, which offers up smoked meats, house-cured deli meats like pastrami, ham, sandwiches, pickles, and baked goods (much like Micklethwait’s now-shuttered food truck Romanouskas Deli), plus wine and beer. It will also sell retail items like books, candles, and housewares, all curated by former employees Melinda Barsales and Jena Sujat.

For the new restaurant, Micklethwait took over an old automotive repair shop. The space features indoor and outdoor dining spaces and a pit room. The grocery store features a mural from artist/musician Tim Kerr highlighting people from Smithville and Texas. Scope out the space below.

The Micklethwait Market and Grocery will be open for lunch at 10:30 a.m. Thursday through Sunday, until everything sells out. The grocery store will expand its hours later in the spring.

MKT___exterior_5.jpg

MKT___interior_1.jpg

Visited LeRoy & Lewis for the first time on Saturday.  Ranks right up there with the great Austin barbecue joints.  Half pound of brisket plus a 2 meat plate with beef checks, whole house pulled pork, honey sweet potatoes, and kale Caesar salad (I did not eat everything in one sitting).  Everything was great.

I like pork and theirs was very great, but outstanding pulled pork doesn't hold a candle to outstanding brisket.

The line for food wasn't bad, but parking in the area sucked.  

9b5816168b1a5325a28c240695af7f2b.jpg

Edited by Jerry Callo

Why such the increase in prices? Just a couple years ago it was $8 per half pound on 6st.

Decent brisket = $3.50/lb (minimum). Add weight loss from trimming and cooking. Cost per lb now closer to $8/lb

Wood = $80-90 per 1/4 cord

Spices = pepper is almost $10/lb. And most guys use spices other than salt and pepper

Labor = pit guys get $10-12 hour/minimum

That doesn’t include any overhead that goes into running the business
  • Like 4

18 minutes ago, ChampKind said:

Decent brisket = $3.50/lb (minimum). Add weight loss from trimming and cooking. Cost per lb now closer to $8/lb

Spices = pepper is almost $10/lb. And most guys use spices other than salt and pepper

My understanding is little is made off of brisket.  Other menu items and drinks are the profit centers. 

2 hours ago, ChampKind said:

Been saying it for months. Evan LeRoy is owning Austin bbq right now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bought tamales and some bbq there at Christmas.  Also bought a cryovac brisket, which I wrapped and kept in the freezer.  Heated it with the redneck souls vide method yesterday, and it was incredible.

3 hours ago, ChampKind said:

hell $10-12 an hour is tough if you want good help. dishwashers are making $10 an hour.