Texas BBQ

Washpark

Just now, Ollie Slatt said:

You don't go there for the brisket.  They may have the best tacos in Austin. 

I get that and I do love their tacos.  I've had people, mind you not here on Surly, espouse to me that Valentina's is the best Q in all of Austin.  They didn't say "tacos", they said Q.  

I was kind of thinking of that when I made the comment.

You don't go there for the brisket.  They may have the best tacos in Austin. 

I wish they would recognize that and up production. Went by there Saturday at 10:45 specifically for a Real Deal Holyfield and there was somebody in line holding the “last breakfast order” flag. I was sad...

1 hour ago, ChampKind said:

I’ll let Miguel and Modesty know your thoughts on this topic

*next week or so we should see smoked gringo tacos on the menu at Valentina’s

Also let him know about the sodium and how your last trip was not good. I mean - if you are going to let him know what people think, might as well be honest so he can fix it.

4 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I’m gonna respectfully disagree that one does not go to Valentina’s for the brisket. I have been a few times and the brisket was excellent, as good as I have had at any of the supposed top joints.

Could be one of those good day/bad day things.

I've only been twice, but both times the brisket was just ok.

Maybe I just doubled up on bad luck.

Drove past a 45 minute line at Valentina's today on the way to Whitfield's BBQ. Was not disappointed. Brisket was perfectly cooked and the quality that people wait in line for. Jalapeno cheese sausage and turkey were very good as well. The pitmaster (previously with Valentina's and Stiles Switch) was working the order window and Kasey Studdard (previously kicking ass in the Rose Bowl) was slicing meat.1a2d1c53f2ce0a236f4abf7554f59307.jpg
Here you go, Cajun.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jerry Callo said:
On 10/27/2018 at 2:27 PM, Jerry Callo said:
Drove past a 45 minute line at Valentina's today on the way to Whitfield's BBQ. Was not disappointed. Brisket was perfectly cooked and the quality that people wait in line for. Jalapeno cheese sausage and turkey were very good as well. The pitmaster (previously with Valentina's and Stiles Switch) was working the order window and Kasey Studdard (previously kicking ass in the Rose Bowl) was slicing meat.1a2d1c53f2ce0a236f4abf7554f59307.jpg

Here you go, Cajun.

Fuck, missed that one.

Thanks.

On 3/25/2018 at 10:23 PM, Washpark said:

Cattlelack

I am not a fan. I know the love and maybe was an off day but thought it was very average. Plan to revisit but don't understand the love of this place. I don't agree with the ranking of this place.

yes, motherfucker yes.  I’ve been saying this for years.  that place is overrated cat shit. 

Apologize for no pics, but I had lunch at Stanley's for the first time in a while.  Ribs still were solid, but the brisket seemed to be much improved (and it was very good before). 

Sides:  Tater salad still is my favorite, slaw seemed improved, beans were off the charts better. 

They have been tampering, and it's good.

• Like 1

Semi-Trivial Things that Make me Surly: Paying $17 for a 2-meat plate at Micklethwait and getting 1 slice of Brisket and 1 slice of Pork Shoulder with two sides scooped into to-go cups the size of which most restaurants would use for ketchup. I've been there before, and was pleased the first time, but yesterday was disappointing.

Odd way to tell us you’re a rube who doesn’t order by the lb. Amateur.
I’ll let Miguel and Modesty know your thoughts on this topic

*next week or so we should see smoked gringo tacos on the menu at Valentina’s

Ahhhh....hello Modesty.

overrating dogshit places is a win for true lovers of BBQ.

It's like when transplants or dumbasses say Whataburger sucks.  Ok, lineup for your shitass places and we folks who know what the good stuff is won't have to wait as long in line.

1 hour ago, Surly Bevo said:

Be interesting to see how a pizza topped with brisket is priced.  I'm guessing this isn't Snake River Farms quality

Cane Rosso up here in Dallas used to do a brisket pizza from time to time as a special and used Pecan Lodge brisket. The difference is Cane Rosso is arguably the best pizza to be had in Dallas; Papa John’s is shit. Just weird that Killen would attach his name to trash.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, slorch said:

overrating dogshit places is a win for true lovers of BBQ.

It's like when transplants or dumbasses say Whataburger sucks.  Ok, lineup for your shitass places and we folks who know what the good stuff is won't have to wait as long in line.

What places are overrated dogshit to you?

19 hours ago, C-Man said:

Cane Rosso up here in Dallas used to do a brisket pizza from time to time as a special and used Pecan Lodge brisket. The difference is Cane Rosso is arguably the best pizza to be had in Dallas; Papa John’s is shit. Just weird that Killen would attach his name to trash.

well, also they are literally 0.2 miles away from each other - the Papa Johns is a weird move

22 hours ago, C-Man said:

Roast Social Kitchen, which is owned by the people who own Stanley's has a brisket topped pizza (using the brisket from Stanley's) called the Smokehouse.  Quite delicious.

Edited by dcbc