Texas BBQ

Washpark

3 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

The one in Junction is awful.  If you want BBQ in Junction, hit up Lum's.  It is good. 

I had heard such great things about Lum's since some friends of ours are related to them.

Meh. It was ok, but it was really nothing to write home about.

1 hour ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I haven't eaten at enough good BBQ places to really get upset when the BBQ is sub par.  

I'll give a place a couple of tries and if they suck, off the list they go. I'm not wasting money on sub par.

On that note - the sides at Kent Black's in San Marcos are amazing.

Heading to San Antonio with the family this summer.  We want to stop along the way for BBQ.  I'm assuming Lockhart is the way to go.  Which place would be the most kid-friendly?  I'm neither trying to stand in any line (Cattleack), nor pay some exorbitant amount for some sort of Top Chef-esque braised this with that.  Just looking for a place we can stop, eat, and move on.  For perspective, Hutchins (McKinney) is our current go-to for good, family friendly food.

3 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Heading to San Antonio with the family this summer.  We want to stop along the way for BBQ.  I'm assuming Lockhart is the way to go.  Which place would be the most kid-friendly?  I'm neither trying to stand in any line (Cattleack), nor pay some exorbitant amount for some sort of Top Chef-esque braised this with that.  Just looking for a place we can stop, eat, and move on.  For perspective, Hutchins (McKinney) is our current go-to for good, family friendly food.

Hays County in San Marcos is better  than any place in Lockhart. Plenty of seating in the AC and a fast moving line.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I would stop at City Market in Luling. I always get brisket, ribs and sausage. The sausage is a coarse grind. They have the best bbq sauce for ribs. I only put the sauce on the ribs.

• Like 1

I would stop at City Market in Luling. I always get brisket, ribs and sausage. The sausage is a coarse grind. They have the best bbq sauce for ribs. I only put the sauce on the ribs.

When is the last time you went there?

All my latest intel is that the mighty has fallen very hard in this case.

49 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Assuming you're coming down I-35, Hays County Barbecue would be a good choice -  great food and indoor dining.  Kreuz Market in Lockhart would be my choice if you are wanting to meander around a bit.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, huge said:

Well damn. My last time was May of 2018. We stop in on our way to Port A. May just go back to Baker Boys BBQ in Gonzales.

9 minutes ago, huge said:

I have seen the same intel and it hurts to read. City Market used to be my fav but I probably haven't been in 5ish years. I always thought they had the best pork ribs of anywhere. 

1 hour ago, Jerry Callo said:

If I were out that way, I would try Black Board Bar B Q in Sisterdale.  I heard them on a podcast and it sounded like it would be worth a try.

@Mez2 It's pretty solid. The wagyu brisket has been pretty damn good. Ribs were meh at best. Sausages are ok. Thursday night they do a wagyu burger with fries and a local beer for $16 with part of the money going to the local VFD. If you want a burger, call ahead because it's damn good, and they run out pretty much every week. You can reserve one if you call ahead though. The Luckenbach lollipops are also worth a try - deboned fried quail with just leg bone to hold it by to dip in an aioli they serve it with. The pecan cobbler with vanilla ice cream is a damn good closer.

https://blackboardbbq.com/

Edited by IDIOTsavant
Added the website.
  • Like 2

Definitely not City Market. Stopped in there last September and it wasn't good. It was so bad. I had to apologize to the family for taking the long way just to stop there.
If you are stopping in Lockhart, Black's is going to be what you want if you eat Hutchins on the regular.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, ChampKind said:

Rudy’s is average at best. And it depends entirely upon which location you go to. To say they are wildly inconsistent from location to location would be a huge understatemenr

Agree. They kill it because they market well, and make it a place where large groups can go, with kids, and get in and out.  Breakfast tacos are middling.  Barbecue is middling.  I hate the sausage (taste and texture of Hillshire Farms).  The moist brisket is the best thing on the menu.

On 3/13/2019 at 1:52 PM, relapse98 said:

I'll give a place a couple of tries and if they suck, off the list they go. I'm not wasting money on sub par.

On that note - the sides at Kent Black's in San Marcos are amazing.

i really liked kent black's the one time i went

On 3/13/2019 at 1:30 PM, Knoxtnhorn said:

It was very disappointing.  Unlike most of y'all, I haven't eaten at enough good BBQ places to really get upset when the BBQ is sub par.  Having just moved back to TX last summer, to me, BBQ is BBQ and hard to F up.  Hell, we go to Soulman's every other week because it's close.  That's good enough for me at the moment.

Yesterday was the first time I really had a hard time eating BBQ.  I felt like I was eating a handful of spice back with almost every bite.  Kind of a shame because the meat itself was pretty tender.

Where?

Speaking of sausage, did a cook a few weeks ago. Picked up some fresh beef/pork  links from Texas Sausage Company on E. 12th.  Highly recommend for some local links. 

Hell....YES. That’s my go-to place, and I’m glad it’s not a secret. Gotta support them. It’s where I get the sausage when I’m doing a smoke, and it’s where I get my deer processed - people rave about the pan sausage.

Any dining recommendations within 15 or so mins of Arlington / AT&T stadium area?  BBQ, TexMex, or otherwise.  Need something sit-down and open for dinner.
Work travel with long days anticipated, so trying to avoid driving into Dallas or Fort Worth.
Jambo's BBQ Shack. Ask to meet the owner while you are there.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Just read this review on a local Facebook group.

'Give Corky’s a try. It’s off of I-10 where Outback used to be. Their BBQ is on point. I’ll be back to try the ribs, but the brisket and sausage was great. You can tell it was actually smoked. Great flavors! My fav was Red River, then Spring Creek, then Rudy’s, but this is my new fav for sure. The brisket slices are at least 1-2 inch thick! I’m in love!'

15 hours ago, BadgerHorn said:

Any dining recommendations within 15 or so mins of Arlington / AT&T stadium area?  BBQ, TexMex, or otherwise.  Need something sit-down and open for dinner.

Work travel with long days anticipated, so trying to avoid driving into Dallas or Fort Worth.

Babes Chicken Dinner House 

Screw Jambo's.

There's a lockhart smokehouse in Texas Live and other restaurants.

Just read this review on a local Facebook group.

'Give Corky’s a try. It’s off of I-10 where Outback used to be. Their BBQ is on point. I’ll be back to try the ribs, but the brisket and sausage was great. You can tell it was actually smoked. Great flavors! My fav was Red River, then Spring Creek, then Rudy’s, but this is my new fav for sure. The brisket slices are at least 1-2 inch thick! I’m in love!'

Lolololol
  • Like 1

On 3/14/2019 at 9:02 AM, Knoxtnhorn said:

Miller’s in Belton is pretty dang good. Good space, kid friendly, etc. 

On 3/15/2019 at 9:26 AM, AustinMT said:

Agree. They kill it because they market well, and make it a place where large groups can go, with kids, and get in and out.  Breakfast tacos are middling.  Barbecue is middling.  I hate the sausage (taste and texture of Hillshire Farms).  The moist brisket is the best thing on the menu.

I’ll always love Rudy’s. Grew up not far from OG. Their turkey is really good. What’s amazing about them is the consistency from location to location. 

16 hours ago, BadgerHorn said:

Hmm. Mostly chains around the stadiums. Texas Live is fun in a touristy, cheesy way though I haven’t been there when it hasn’t been a game day. Let me think on this. I always liked the CFS at Arlington Steakhouse.

15 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Cooper's in FW near the Stockyards.

If I’m driving to FW, I’m not bothering with Cooper’s.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Hmm. Mostly chains around the stadiums. Texas Live is fun in a touristy, cheesy way though I haven’t been there when it hasn’t been a game day. Let me think on this. I always liked the CFS at Arlington Steakhouse.

Agreed - I try to avoid the touristy spots/chains, though some chains are serviceable. I've been in that area once in similar circumstances (not much time available to drive around), so trying to do my homework this time. I think I stopped in at Bodacious BBQ last time.  I'd put it in the not bad range; acceptable for repeats, but not necessarily a place I feel the need to go back to.  Wondering if there are better options.

Texas Live has Lockhart Smokehouse.  I don't know anything about it other than I think a friend of my - total BBQ freak - said something about how they brought cinders or somesuch from the original to start the fire at this one.

Off topic but Texas Live is a pretty cool place to watch sports.  That's where I went for the Big 12 Championship game.