Texas BBQ

Washpark

On 3/14/2019 at 9:56 AM, huge said:

When is the last time you went there?

All my latest intel is that the mighty has fallen very hard in this case.

Ate at City Market on Tuesday.   Ribs were spectacular.   Brisket was good not great.   Maybe a B+.   Sausage was average.    Tasted good but it just fell apart when trying to cut it.   I liked it but theMacanudo-ettes were underwhelmed overall and we all were with the sides.

I'll go back but I might just bite the bullet and head farther north off of IH-10 and spend the extra 30 minutes going to Lockhart.

On 3/15/2019 at 5:47 AM, ChampKind said:

Rudy’s is average at best. And it depends entirely upon which location you go to. To say they are wildly inconsistent from location to location would be a huge understatemenr

I guess the 3 different locations I have visited were on the better side, that or it was just a good day. 

Just read this review on a local Facebook group.

'Give Corky’s a try. It’s off of I-10 where Outback used to be. Their BBQ is on point. I’ll be back to try the ribs, but the brisket and sausage was great. You can tell it was actually smoked. Great flavors! My fav was Red River, then Spring Creek, then Rudy’s, but this is my new fav for sure. The brisket slices are at least 1-2 inch thick! I’m in love!'

I rest my point regarding the need for legit bbq out there.

7 hours ago, Macanudo said:

Ate at City Market on Tuesday.   Ribs were spectacular.   Brisket was good not great.   Maybe a B+.   Sausage was average.    Tasted good but it just fell apart when trying to cut it.   I liked it but theMacanudo-ettes were underwhelmed overall and we all were with the sides.

I'll go back but I might just bite the bullet and head farther north off of IH-10 and spend the extra 30 minutes going to Lockhart.

Not much in Lockhart worth the extra effort anymore, I don't think. Other than maybe Black's. Kreuz was just awful the last time I was there.

3 hours ago, williemackgarza said:

I was wondering about millers? Is that the guy that had the small bbq place next to the bow shop??

Don't know about that. I like it quite a bit. It made the TM Top 50 last time and it's a good stopping point between Dallas/San Antonio without fighting crazy lines in Austin.

Miller's has decent barbecue, but it's not as good as it was in the old building and their model is bullshit.

Schoepf's has a couple of nice things, but it's massively overpriced.

I rarely go to either one. When I do Miller's I get the half chicken, which is the only thing that's way better than they did before the move to the fancier hipster tourist setting with the retarded seating arrangement, which is almost like a lottery for chairs. When I do Schoepf's it's for the pork chop, but I feel like I've been robbed when it comes to the bill, and half the time the chop is way past its prime. Schoepf's has bland overpriced meats, but real good sides. Miller's has decent q but shitty sides. They at one time had the best spare ribs on the planet, but those days are long gone and now I wouldn't recommend the scrawny ribs, which you can now only order by a full rack or half rack, no combos.

On 3/16/2019 at 6:33 PM, Okie State said:
On 3/16/2019 at 10:14 AM, ChampKind said:

Lolololol

You wouldn't believe how many people in this group recommend Red River. Mind bottling.

My wife is from League City (home of Red River).  When we started dating she told me repeatedly how Red River made the best ribs she'd ever had, and how her parents swore by the bbq at RR. None of them have been back to RR for several years, and probably won't be again. Their eyes have been opened and they now see the barbeque world as it was intended.

• Like 4

My wife is from League City (home of Red River).  When we started dating she told me repeatedly how Red River made the best ribs she'd ever had, and how her parents swore by the bbq at RR. None of them have been back to RR for several years, and probably won't be again. Their eyes have been opened and they now see the barbeque world as it was intended.
Ate at the one in Katy because my Dad wanted to go. Honestly it was the worst excuse for barbeque I've ever had. Anywhere. Fucking terrible.
  • Like 1

On 3/16/2019 at 9:41 AM, Okie State said:

The brisket slices are at least 1-2 inch thick! I’m in love!'

Wait, what?

Surely that's a troll. There's no way people like thick brisket slices, right? Of course then there's the east texas shit where they trim off the bark and fat and throw it away, so maybe there is someone nuts enough to like a 2" thick slice of brisket.

Wait, what?
Surely that's a troll. There's no way people like thick brisket slices, right? Of course then there's the east texas shit where they trim off the bark and fat and throw it away, so maybe there is someone nuts enough to like a 2" thick slice of brisket.
Who the hell knows. It's impossible for me to take anything seriously from someone who ranks Red River and Spring Creek in their top 3.
  • Like 1

On 3/16/2019 at 9:50 PM, C-Man said:

Not much in Lockhart worth the extra effort anymore, I don't think. Other than maybe Black's. Kreuz was just awful the last time I was there.

They opened a Kreuz in Bryan last year. It's already closed.

Cooper's is opening a branch in College Station this year. God willing, I won't be here to try it.

I had blood brothers in Bellaire for the first time today.  It was pretty darn solid.  Nothing stood out necessarily as exceptional, but everything was very solid.  Brisket was well cooked, light on smokiness but it was there.  The lean side was a touch dry, but it was pretty late in their service. It wasn’t all dry by any means, just slightly.  Moist was moist and tasty.  I would like more smoke, but that’s a pretty small nitpick.  They were out of pork and beef ribs, but they have me a sample of an end cut of pork ribs they had left.  They actually were solid too. I had a hot linknsausage and it was prettt good.  Spicy, smoky.  It’s nice to have competent bbq pretty close to the house.  

I had blood brothers in Bellaire for the first time today.  It was pretty darn solid.  Nothing stood out necessarily as exceptional, but everything was very solid.  Brisket was well cooked, light on smokiness but it was there.  The lean side was a touch dry, but it was pretty late in their service. It wasn’t all dry by any means, just slightly.  Moist was moist and tasty.  I would like more smoke, but that’s a pretty small nitpick.  They were out of pork and beef ribs, but they have me a sample of an end cut of pork ribs they had left.  They actually were solid too. I had a hot linknsausage and it was prettt good.  Spicy, smoky.  It’s nice to have competent bbq pretty close to the house.  
We tried it a few weeks back and I thought it was good, not great. I'd eat there again, but wouldn't make a special trip for it.

Oddly, my wife picked up que from Blood Brothers yesterday so I had it twice in two days.  She brought some chicken which was really really good.  Brisket which was okay, but more dry than the day before and still not super smoky.  Pork ribs which were good not great.  serviceable.  Turkey - moist, but pretty bland.  Sausage - your basic sausage.  nothing special other than it was fairly spicy. 

Wife's review was it was pretty unsatisfying, but it wasn't bad.  She did say, "Pit Room, Buck's and Pinkerton's are all a lot better."  

2 hours ago, relapse98 said:

They also are out on the Cost of Goods Told  podcast. Haven't listened to that episode yet.

It's a good one. Ara Malekian (Harlem Road BBQ) and I sat in on this one and the second and third segments are kind of a round table. The first segment is all Blood Bros. and gives a really nice glimpse into their backstory. There will be another round table podcast at Houston Barbecue Festival that should be a hoot.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, ChampKind said:

It's a good one. Ara Malekian (Harlem Road BBQ) and I sat in on this one and the second and third segments are kind of a round table. The first segment is all Blood Bros. and gives a really nice glimpse into their backstory. There will be another round table podcast at Houston Barbecue Festival that should be a hoot.

Ara is a friend of a friend of mine.  I had dinner with him and my buddy at Trinity one night a couple of years back when he was first starting Harlem Road.  That dude knows the history of BBQ like the back of his hand, and has had an interesting career for sure.  I have never had his BBQ, but I have to imagine it's pretty good.  He certainly seemed to have a ton of passion for the craft.  He's invited me out there several times, but I have never been available.  I need to go check it out at some point.  

Ara is a classically trained chef with tons of fine dining experience and has owned a few restaurants. Super nice guy, and some of the stuff he cooks is fantastic.

I have not made it out to his place yet (most of us are closed on the same days), but I’ll get out there some day.

I’ll probably be next to him at HouBBQ Fest again this year.

Went to the new Truth BBQ in Heights Blvd in Houston today. Didn’t get there until around 2:30 so they were already sold out of a lot of the meats. Ended up getting chopped brisket (sliced wasn’t available), a regular sausage link, and the cutter threw in the last spicy link for free. Sides were cole slaw and tater tot casserole.

7-ECD73-F2-7-AA8-457-D-A33-F-3-E48-A0881

Everything on the plate was incredible. Homemade pickles, pickled onions and jalapeños were a perfect compliment. They have a traditional BBQ sauce as well as a mustard-based available. Both were good.

The prices were reasonable as well. $16.99 for the two-meat plate. I’ll definitely be back.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Auto Driller said:

Went to the new Truth BBQ in Heights Blvd in Houston today. Didn’t get there until around 2:30 so they were already sold out of a lot of the meats. Ended up getting chopped brisket (sliced wasn’t available), a regular sausage link, and the cutter threw in the last spicy link for free. Sides were cole slaw and tater tot casserole.

Don't know anything about Truth (or bbq in Houston in general), but I'll always rep for an ice-cold bottle of Big Red.

Is there more than one Cooper's BBQ? 
Fam and I ate at the one next to the FW Stock Yards yesterday.  It was so close to being really good; however, the beef ribs and brisket were extremely salty.  I chocked up the brisket's saltiness to being an end piece - which I normally prefer; however, the ribs were too much as well.  They were almost unedible, and I'm not a picky eater.

Had the exact same experience with the Austin location.
  • Like 1

Hit BBQ on the Brazos in Cresson, TX last week.  Little place about 30 mins SW of Fort Worth.  It was okay.  Not great.  Vaughn had it in his Top 50 so maybe I just caught it on an off day.  Brisket was overcooked and everything was a little bland.  Sauce helped, which I don't consider a compliment.  Ribs were the best thing I tried.

Ordered 1/4 lb of a few different things, one link each of the sausage and a couple sides.

Not sure if they were running out of containers or what, but they piled everything in one styrofoam container.  Here's everything (brisket and turkey are underneath)...

3GvauI.jpg

Here's more after some of the top layer had been removed...

DNq68f.jpg

Didn't see any Big Red so had to settle for red Fanta (not as good).

BBQ on the Brazos moved from the gas station on 377 back to that building at the speedway thing, but I think their pit has always been portable so that isn't an issue.  I haven't been in a while, before the move.  At the time I went, I'd say it compared pretty favorably to Cattleack.  As I recall, they didn't have a spicy sausage or were out, so yeah the sausage was bland by comparison to some others, also more tightly packed than some, giving it a commercial mouth feel, but not Rudy's style.