Texas BBQ

Washpark

9 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

BBQ on the Brazos moved from the gas station on 377 back to that building at the speedway thing, but I think their pit has always been portable so that isn't an issue.  I haven't been in a while, before the move.  As I recall, they didn't have a spicy sausage or were out, so yeah the sausage was bland by comparison to some others, also more tightly packed than some, giving it a commercial mouth feel, but not Rudy's style.

All correct from my experience ^^^

At the time I went, I'd say it compared pretty favorably to Cattleack.

Not at all correct from my experience ^^^

It's probably been mentioned but my buddy who is probably going to open his own place sooner than later went out to Panther City BBQ in FW (in Heim's old spot, I think) yesterday and said it was absolutely incredible.

c8f350badad273636957e465ea06c9cf.jpg
Yeah panther city has been getting tons of good reviews

16 hours ago, Landomatic said:

I would eat there.

I'll let you know if/when this deal goes through and we'll have to head over there on Opening Day. Trouble is he's supposed to be on our team for the Texas Steak Cook-Off in Hico next month and he really can't participate if he's a 'pro' so I'm kind of torn here!

Taking some out of staters for some bbq in Austin soon. I would prefer to try something I haven’t tried before.

What’s the situation at Leroy and Lewis? Places to sit and eat? Assuming it is bring your own beer ?

How bad is the line on a Friday at LA BBQ?

I’ve already done Franklins, Stiles & switch, Valentina’s, Brown, mickelwaith, Freeman’s and Blacks.

19 minutes ago, Mac8111 said:

Taking some out of staters for some bbq in Austin soon. I would prefer to try something I haven’t tried before.

What’s the situation at Leroy and Lewis? Places to sit and eat? Assuming it is bring your own beer ?

How bad is the line on a Friday at LA BBQ?

I’ve already done Franklins, Stiles & switch, Valentina’s, Brown, mickelwaith, Freeman’s and Blacks.

There are picnic tables around L&L that are shared with other food trailers.  I'm not sure about the beer, though.

If it were me, I 'd order LA Barbecue ahead of time and pick it up with no waiting.  I think you have to order on Tuesday for pick up on Friday.  No minimums for pre-order, so everyone could do their own ordering.  Check the website for details.

2 hours ago, C-Man said:

I'll let you know if/when this deal goes through and we'll have to head over there on Opening Day. Trouble is he's supposed to be on our team for the Texas Steak Cook-Off in Hico next month and he really can't participate if he's a 'pro' so I'm kind of torn here!

I’ll selfishly take “open his own place so I have another good BBQ option in Dallas and screw your team” for 500 Alex. 😁

20 hours ago, C-Man said:

It's probably been mentioned but my buddy who is probably going to open his own place sooner than later went out to Panther City BBQ in FW (in Heim's old spot, I think) yesterday and said it was absolutely incredible.

What is the dish with chopped brisket et al in it? Because it looks fucking good.

Edited by relapse98

On 4/1/2019 at 3:05 PM, C-Man said:

Oh man I would destroy that plate. Looks like set your asshole on fire 101 but definitely worth. 

22 hours ago, ChampKind said:

LeRoy is located at Cosmic Coffee. There is a large outdoor seating area with picnic tables and shade trees. If I had to pick one spot in Austin not named Franklin, it would be LeRoy and Lewis. Get the beef cheek and the barbacado for sure.

Barbacado?

cutxrb5fvsd21.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

I......don't.....know.....

After a few weeks of pretty lackluster BBQ (excluding a bbq cook off that had some really good bbq) I hit up an old faithful today known around these parts as Buck's bbq.  After hitting Truth and Blood Bros recently I was used to the lack of smokiness, and frankly general lack of flavor.  Bucks and @ChampKind set shit right today with brisket that had that deep smokiness and absolutely perfect blend of salt and pepper that let that brisket truly shine.  I don't know what chemical reaction occurs between Champs rib rub with that espresso and post oak, but by God it's magic.  Both meats and cheesy squash were absolutely perfect today.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChampKind said:

Thanks for the praise, Pepper. About 20 mins after you left I was notified about this. Been a good day in Champ’s world.

https://www.click2houston.com/food/good-taste/top-12-houston-area-bbq-spots

I’m embarrassed to ask,  but where is your new spot?  I enjoyed your cooking at PC and would like to stop by with my lunch group.  

• Like 1

Any of the Houston folks who claim they like bbq but haven’t been to Buck’s yet are bad people. Don’t even bother to try and convince me otherwise. Bad. People.
Can't argue with this. Went by Pappa Charlie's multiple times, but still haven't made it to Buck's. Will soon though.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Any of the Houston folks who claim they like bbq but haven’t been to Buck’s yet are bad people. Don’t even bother to try and convince me otherwise. Bad. People.

Word.  Houston folk that haven't been to Buck's are horrible and should feel bad about themselves.  I've been to Houston exactly once in the past 3 years and even I have tasted champ's delicious meat.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, futureman said:

now I know you’re full of shit. 

No, he’s full of Schmidt.

I don’t know what to think about Schmidt.  I live near Lake Travis, and it’s a bbq wasteland out here (though I haven’t tried Interstellar yet).  By default, I’ve been by there a number  of times for que.  It is never great, and generally waivers between OK (edible) and bad.  Occasionally I get something that is pretty good.  I am clearly in the “keep doing the same thing/expecting different results” category because I find myself there probably 3-ish times a year, hoping.

I would have thought that after this many years they’d be able to at least be consistent, and score at least above average.  They still aren’t there.

9 hours ago, AustinMT said:

No, he’s full of Schmidt.

I don’t know what to think about Schmidt.  I live near Lake Travis, and it’s a bbq wasteland out here (though I haven’t tried Interstellar yet).  By default, I’ve been by there a number  of times for que.  It is never great, and generally waivers between OK (edible) and bad.  Occasionally I get something that is pretty good.  I am clearly in the “keep doing the same thing/expecting different results” category because I find myself there probably 3-ish times a year, hoping.

I would have thought that after this many years they’d be able to at least be consistent, and score at least above average.  They still aren’t there.

I went to Interstellar last week, and it was pretty good. Not top 5 in Austin or anything, but brisket and pork ribs were cooked and seasoned well.  Not as much black pepper on the brisket as I like, but that's a personal preference.  It's worth a shot if you're in the area, better than anything else out here by a fair margin.