Texas BBQ

Washpark

That plus it being located in Taylor - which is not on the way to or from or close to anything. 
Unless... wait a minute...
lolll.png
This might explain everything. 
FIL used to live in Hutto and MIL lives in Buffalo. I've been through Taylor and Hearne many times. And i agree with your assessment.

Texas BBQ tend toward sspare ribs because they are way better than baby back.  Yes, that's just like, my opinion, man.  And, most of Texas, too.  

Finally gonna be in South Austin on a Saturday for lunch so I'm hoping to hit up Leroy and Lewis today.  Anyone know how the parking is?  Looks like it's tucked away in some commercial buildings or something?

Just now, utee94 said:

Texas BBQ tend toward sspare ribs because they are way better than baby back.  Yes, that's just like, my opinion, man.  And, most of Texas, too.  

Finally gonna be in South Austin on a Saturday for lunch so I'm hoping to hit up Leroy and Lewis today.  Anyone know how the parking is?  Looks like it's tucked away in some commercial buildings or something?

Parking is funky because there is a climbing gym that also shares the lot with the food trailers.  May have to get creative on a Saturday.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AustinMT said:

Parking is funky because there is a climbing gym that also shares the lot with the food trailers.  May have to get creative on a Saturday.

Thanks, appreciate it.  I'll have the kids in tow so if parking isn't easy, I may have to bail. We'll see when I get there.

42 minutes ago, AustinMT said:

Just hop on an electric scooter for the proper Austin experience. 

18 hours ago, ztejas said:

That plus it being located in Taylor - which is not on the way to or from or close to anything. 

Unless... wait a minute...

lolll.png

This might explain everything. 

Just got PTSD from that map after a year of monthly drives to the aggy vet school.

4 hours ago, utee94 said:

Thanks, appreciate it.  I'll have the kids in tow so if parking isn't easy, I may have to bail. We'll see when I get there.

I swear every time I go I circle for 10 minutes before finally finding a spot I can barely squeeze into on the street only to walk up and find two or three cars backing out right in front. Worth the effort though. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HenryJames said:

Agreed. Too bad Shaggy decided they wanted to live with their dad after the divorce. 

I don't like the rub that LA uses on their brisket or beef rib.  It's cooked perfectly, but it just tastes off to me. Worse than off, to be honest.  It tastes BAD to me. I tried it twice, no desire to go back.

On the other hand, I absolutely love the way John seasons his brisket.  IMO. :)

Anyway, we were right across the street from Loro, so we ended up going there.  It was... pricey.  We had the pork belly, the smoked prime bavette, and the chopped brisket sandwich (sliced brisket not available until 5 PM).  All of it was good, but nothing so great that it makes me want to go back.  Honestly the chopped brisket on the sandwich was the best part of it, makes me wonder how good the sliced brisket might be.   But I'll likely never find out.

Next time, I'm definitely insisting on Leroy and Lewis.  Thanks to all for the recs.

Wish I had a better report on 407 BBQ from tonight but seems to have been an off day for them or it was just getting food that stayed in the warmer all day.
This is the first time having a "meh" experience there. It is usually top notch.
He moved from a food trailer to brick and mortar a few months back and is killing it. We walked in at 7:20 and there was a line to the door. He recently had another smoker installed to keep up. At closing at 8 tonight he had 1 brisket left. I hope tonight was just an off day for him and the volume isn't affecting the quality. 24d6ed3ab8a319d5fb7c50c8c3510008.jpg0659c94abd7585c27b0171765eeb1b19.jpg

In Austin for the weekend visiting some friends so we decided to pack up the kids and check out LeRoy and Lewis this morning. I ended up ordering some of everything for my family of 5 - sausage, pulled pork, beef cheek, barbacoa with a side of bacon rib and another 1/2 lb of beef cheek. Sides of beans, curry rice, other rice (can’t remember), kimchi, and barbacoa taco.

613014b81ff09fae58ab4c6c01019691.jpg

The stars were the beef cheek, bacon rib and barbacoa (just their beef cheek pulled + something with a bit heat). The sides were really good as well. The only thing we didn’t thoroughly enjoy was the pulled pork. It was good...just not great.

We ended up sharing some of the beef cheek and rib with our friends and the kids helped us polish off everything else. I’m not sure how much longer they’ll fly under the radar, but hopefully I’ll be able to hit up on a brisket day before they get busy.

• Like 3

Is that the beef cheek on the right side of the beefer? I need to get in there and try that, anxious to visit before the crowd gets out of control.

Curious where he gets the cheeks, wonder if I can get them from a local butcher or from a food distributor. 

9 minutes ago, RMac5 said:

Is that the beef cheek on the right side of the beefer? I need to get in there and try that, anxious to visit before the crowd gets out of control.

Curious where he gets the cheeks, wonder if I can get them from a local butcher or from a food distributor. 

Yeah, but it’s a “bacon rib”. Believe it’s just bone in pork belly. Also on the top right because I saw the 1/4 lb I got on the 2 meat plate and decided to get more. I thought the beef cheek was like a decadent version of beef rib.

Not even close. Clod is very similar to the flat of a brisket in texture and fat content, though my palette says it tastes more gamey. Clod works great for product you would put shredded or chopped beef in. And some CenTex places use it as “lean brisket”.

Cheek has the texture of beef plate rib, but the richness you might expect from beef that was dry aged for 21 days or so. When it has been braised or cooked at low temps by sous vide it is really spectacular.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, RMac5 said:

I’m not sure 44 Farms will sell to me, I think they have become so popular they are restricting their market. I will call and check, hopefully it’s just the brisket that’s allotted to existing customers.

Pretty sure there are some retailers who they wholesale to that you can get it from, no?