NBA 2021-2022

ztejas

18 minutes ago, ztejas said:

James Johnson was fucking terrible against Memphis but he isn't the worst player in the NBA. 

He’s also a good guy to have around as a deterrent to the other team taking cheap shots on your star player. Nobody wants to tangle with James.

Dirty fucking play by the Mavs, who got drubbed by Minny tonight.

That clip skips a frame or two, it was a complete flop by patbev

Powell also punched Jared Vanderbilt in the face after whiffing on a rebound
No he didn't. He was going for the ball and got him by accident.
  • Hook 'Em 3

This is just fucking embarrassing. Dude should be fired and blackballed from the league for attaching his name to this garbage. 

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/33595989/los-angeles-lakers-frank-vogel-touts-lebron-james-case-mvp

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. -- If it were up to Los Angeles Lakers coach Frank Vogel, LeBron James would be adding a fifth MVP award to his career accomplishments after this season.

"He is as deserving for MVP consideration as anybody in the league," Vogel said after practice Friday. "I know how the voting goes -- the team with the best record or top couple of records usually gets most of those considerations, so the win-loss record definitely would probably hurt him.

"But you can't tell me that anybody has played a better season than LeBron James has this year."

As a reminder, the Los Angeles Clippers play in the same building as the Lakers playing roughly an identical schedule. Their best player hasn't played one single minute all season. Their second best player will end up missing two-thirds of the season. Their leading scorer has been Reggie Jackson...yes, that Reggie Jackson. They are 2-8 in their last 10 games. They currently have 5 more wins than the Lakers.

Edited by aggie08
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

As a reminder, the Los Angeles Clippers play in the same building as the Lakers playing roughly an identical schedule. Their best player hasn't played one single minute all season. Their second best player will end up missing two-thirds of the season. Their leading scorer has been Reggie Jackson...yes, that Reggie Jackson. They currently have 5 more wins than the Lakers.

Durant has captained one of the bigger shitshows in the NBA to 30 wins in 46 starts - and kept them solidly in the playoff race as a result. LeBron has played 54 games with a mostly healthy roster that he pretty much hand selected and has led them to 25 wins and has them teetering on the edge of missing the play in entirely. 

Really inspiring, MVP level stuff. 

(And that's not even comparing him to the actual MVP candidates. That's comparing him to his biggest contemporary adversary who despite missing too many games to be in any sort of postseason awards discussion has won significantly more games in less games played sharing the floor with a similar level of talent)

Edited by ztejas

As a reminder, the Los Angeles Clippers play in the same building as the Lakers playing roughly an identical schedule. Their best player hasn't played one single minute all season. Their second best player will end up missing two-thirds of the season. Their leading scorer has been Reggie Jackson...yes, that Reggie Jackson. They are 2-8 in their last 10 games. They currently have 5 more wins than the Lakers.
Tyronn Lue is a good coach. And vastly underrated, IMO.
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, ztejas said:

Durant has captained one of the bigger shitshows in the NBA to 30 wins in 46 starts - and kept them solidly in the playoff race as a result. LeBron has played 54 games with a mostly healthy roster that he pretty much hand selected and has led them to 25 wins and has them teetering on the edge of missing the play in entirely. 

Really inspiring, MVP level stuff. 

(And that's not even comparing him to the actual MVP candidates. That's comparing him to his biggest contemporary adversary who despite missing too many games to be in any sort of postseason awards discussion has won significantly more games in less games played sharing the floor with a similar level of talent)

I don't disagree with your overall point, but to say LeLakers have had a mostly healthy roster is a  bit of a reach. Anthony Davis has only played in a hair over half their games this season. As the guy who was supposed to be their best or second best player that's pretty huge.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Llogg said:

I don't disagree with your overall point, but to say LeLakers have had a mostly healthy roster is a  bit of a reach. Anthony Davis has only played in a hair over half their games this season. As the guy who was supposed to be their best or second best player that's pretty huge.

Davis has played in 17 more games than Kyrie has this season. And I would like to think that we can agree that Harden was giving some shit-ass effort at multiple points during the season with Brooklyn - if not during the entire stretch.

The point is that with or without AD LeBron hasn't done shit to elevate this team to being a factor in the West. Hand Jokic or Embiid or Giannis or KD those players and they 100% win more games. Vogel saying that shit is the most embarrassing thing I've ever seen an NBA coach admit out loud. 

26 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Boston's gonna fuck around and get the 1 seed, aren't they?

Phoenix with solid defense, could be their year. Nets with a top 10 offense when their second best player has been a part timer and their third best player was a fat malcontent most of the season is pretty impressive. Thought Dallas was better on D than that, but I guess maybe not over the whole season.

25 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Davis has played in 17 more games than Kyrie has this season. And I would like to think that we can agree that Harden was giving some shit-ass effort at multiple points during the season with Brooklyn - if not during the entire stretch.

The point is that with or without AD LeBron hasn't done shit to elevate this team to being a factor in the West. Hand Jokic or Embiid or Giannis or KD those players and they 100% win more games. Vogel saying that shit is the most embarrassing thing I've ever seen an NBA coach admit out loud. 

Again, I'm not disagreeing with the conclusion but saying LBJ had a healthy team is disingenuous and detracts from the strength of the point you're making.

4 hours ago, Brothahorn said:
11 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Tyronn Lue is a good coach. And vastly underrated, IMO.

And truth-speaker.

9 hours ago, ztejas said:

LBJ obviously isn't MVP and won't win MVP but he is a superstar player having a very good season. A coach trying to keep a superstar happy in this situation is maybe number 4 million on the list of stupid things coaches have said.

I said the dream scenario for Philly was Miami at 1, Boston and Milwaukee at 2/3 and then at 4, with Brooklyn at 7. Obviously it’s be better for them to be at 1 with Miami at 4. Someone is going to get fucked if they end up on the same side of the bracket as Milwaukee and Brooklyn  

On 1/11/2022 at 9:26 PM, Message Board User said:

Gun to my head, I might just pick Memphis to emerge from the West - they're for real and they seem to have a team built for the playoffs.

Said it 2+ months about and nothing has happened to change this belief.

Irrational hate by SVG aside, he's right about this stunning record without Ja and it's not really a knock on him but just points to how loaded this Memphis team is.

Of course if I'm wrong I'll be scrubbing this post like Chad Ford.

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Irrational hate by SVG aside, he's right about this stunning record without Ja and it's not really a knock on him but just points to how loaded this Memphis team is.

And the scary part is, they're only going to get better. They have so many fucking picks. Three possible this year because the Lakers are fucking stupid and suck. 

https://www.prosportstransactions.com/basketball/DraftTrades/Future/Grizzlies.htm

18 hours ago, Serak The Preparer said:

LBJ obviously isn't MVP and won't win MVP but he is a superstar player having a very good season. A coach trying to keep a superstar happy in this situation is maybe number 4 million on the list of stupid things coaches have said.

That's fine, and if he had said, "LeBron has proven that he's still among the very best players in the league with his play," no one would have had any issue. Because it's true. But, essentially saying, "If you ignore wins and leading a dysfunctional, disjointed team, LeBron has been the MVP!" just opens them both up to well-earned criticism.

48 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

This is where I'm at with this - and I know I made a post about it after their last win - Memphis moves the ball better and plays better defense without Ja on the floor. Anyone who disagrees with that is just not paying attention. 

Now - like I said - does that make them a better playoff team when Ja sits? Probably not. But game to game during the regular season they are 100% playing better without him.

I'm sure there's a couple of things to be learned by Ja watching from the bench when they do it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

This is where I'm at with this - and I know I made a post about it after their last win - Memphis moves the ball better and plays better defense without Ja on the floor. Anyone who disagrees with that is just not paying attention. 

Now - like I said - does that make them a better playoff team when Ja sits? Probably not. But game to game during the regular season they are 100% playing better without him.

I'm sure there's a couple of things to be learned by Ja watching from the bench when they do it. 

We're going to do this again? 

11/28/2021: beat Sacramento. Incredible win. 

11/30/2021: beat Toronto when they were struggling. Their third loss in a row, 9-13 at that point. 

12/02/2021: beat OKC by the biggest margin in NBA history I believe. It's OKC. 

12/04/2021: beat Dallas without the cooler Luka. 

12/06/2021: beat Miami without Bam. 

12/09/2022: beat the Lakers. Well who hasn't done that this year. 

12/11/2022: beat Houston. Wow, such hard. 

12/13/2022: beat Philly. No Process. 

12/15/2022: beat Portland. Again, they suck. 

12/17/2022: beat Sacramento again. Used to mean something before you were born. 

01/08/2022: beat the Clippers who are actually doing quite well without their stars too. 

02/15/2022: beat the Pelicans. 

03/15/2022: beat Indiana, who is trying to suck. 

03/20/2022: beat Houston, who is missing Hakeem. 

03/23/2022: beat Brooklyn's overrated ass (we'll see if you read all the way through or not). 

03/24/2022: beat Indiana again. Remember, they suck. 

03/26/2023: beat Milwaukee. Great win. 

They're deep as fuck. They're super talented, and deep as fuck. Like, balls deep. They play a havoc based style and when Ja is on the floor, they have an unstoppable force who can get to the basket at will. They are one of my favorites to win it all, and I don't give a fuck if everyone on the team isn't of legal drinking age. 

BUT....

Probably not? Probably not???? Dude, you have smoked yourself, uh, regarded? Is that the phrase we're using now? They're not even close to a better playoff team without him. The Spurs used to do this shit too when Tim was out. No one in their right goddamn mind thought they were a better playoff team without him. What in the actual fuck? 

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, Kermit said:

We're going to do this again? 

11/28/2021: beat Sacramento. Incredible win. 

11/30/2021: beat Toronto when they were struggling. Their third loss in a row, 9-13 at that point. 

12/02/2021: beat OKC by the biggest margin in NBA history I believe. It's OKC. 

12/04/2021: beat Dallas without the cooler Luka. 

12/06/2021: beat Miami without Bam. 

12/09/2022: beat the Lakers. Well who hasn't done that this year. 

12/11/2022: beat Houston. Wow, such hard. 

12/13/2022: beat Philly. No Process. 

12/15/2022: beat Portland. Again, they suck. 

12/17/2022: beat Sacramento again. Used to mean something before you were born. 

01/08/2022: beat the Clippers who are actually doing quite well without their stars too. 

02/15/2022: beat the Pelicans. 

03/15/2022: beat Indiana, who is trying to suck. 

03/20/2022: beat Houston, who is missing Hakeem. 

03/23/2022: beat Brooklyn's overrated ass (we'll see if you read all the way through or not). 

03/24/2022: beat Indiana again. Remember, they suck. 

03/26/2023: beat Milwaukee. Great win. 

They're deep as fuck. They're super talented, and deep as fuck. Like, balls deep. They play a havoc based style and when Ja is on the floor, they have an unstoppable force who can get to the basket at will. They are one of my favorites to win it all, and I don't give a fuck if everyone on the team isn't of legal drinking age. 

BUT....

Probably not? Probably not???? Dude, you have smoked yourself, uh, regarded? Is that the phrase we're using now? They're not even close to a better playoff team without him. The Spurs used to do this shit too when Tim was out. No one in their right goddamn mind thought they were a better playoff team without him. What in the actual fuck? 

I listed their games like a page ago. I also included all of their margins in those wins. They aren't exactly going down to the wire in a lot of these - they're kicking the shit out of teams. 

So they've played against teams missing players. So what. Basically every team has missed important guys for huge stretches this season. You should add "without Ja Morant" next to all of those games. Also count up how many times you wrote "beat" and count it against the losses because it's 17-2. They aren't playing Abilene Christian - they're playing NBA teams and winning at an insane clip. 

(And the Nets aren't overrated - they were super thin against Memphis. It was still a good win)

And simmer down - I'm don't think nor have said I think they'd be better in the playoffs without him. But Ja isn't Tim Duncan. He has one playoff win in his career. Not series win - win. I'll give him more respect and wonder less about how they play without him when he does something like win a couple playoff series. 

He's one of the greatest talents in the NBA and you're over here going "well I don't know...". It's fucking asinine and the definition of overthinking. They're a good team without him and a great team with him. That's it. 

And simmer down - I'm don't think nor have said I think they'd be better in the playoffs without him.

Two posts before...

Now - like I said - does that make them a better playoff team when Ja sits? Probably not.

Hedging, but I'll give you that. He has one playoff win because they're a young team and they were an 8 seed playing a one seed last season. Baby steps. Not everyone kicks ass their first foray into battle. You learn, and this team is poised for success. Playoff basketball is different. You know this, and you need a player like Ja if you're going to succeed. 

15 hours ago, Message Board User said:

Lakers outscored in the 2nd half 67-39 to lose at NOLA.

There's a real chance they'll miss the play-in altogether:

9 NOLA 32-43

10 Lakers 31-43

11 Spurs 30-44

And the Spurs own the tiebreaker (Lakers-Spurs split the season series, but the Spurs have a better conference record).

Much to my chagrin, I'm pretty sure the Spurs are going to pass them for the play in. Lakers have one gimme game at home vs. OKC (if you can consider anything a gimme for them) but everybody else they play should be jockeying for playoff position, with the exception of Phoenix and maybe Golden State. Notwithstanding Anthony Davis coming back, I don't see the Lakers winning more than 2 of these:

Lakers Schedule:

Tue, Mar 29, 20227:30p            @    Dallas Mavericks                                
Thu, Mar 31, 2022    10:00p            @    Utah Jazz                                
Fri, Apr 1, 2022    10:30p                New Orleans Pelicans                                
Sun, Apr 3, 2022    3:30p                Denver Nuggets                                
Tue, Apr 5, 2022    10:30p            @    Phoenix Suns                                
Thu, Apr 7, 2022    10:00p            @    Golden State Warriors                                
Fri, Apr 8, 2022    10:30p                Oklahoma City Thunder                                
Sun, Apr 10, 2022                @    Denver Nuggets            

Spurs get Houston tonight and Portland -- who is taking their tank game to the next level -- twice at home. Houston tonight is rather huge. That's three games that they will be favored in. 

Mon, Mar 28, 2022    8:00p            @    Houston Rockets                                
Wed, Mar 30, 2022    8:30p                Memphis Grizzlies                                
Fri, Apr 1, 2022    8:30p                Portland Trail Blazers                                
Sun, Apr 3, 2022    7:00p                Portland Trail Blazers                                
Tue, Apr 5, 2022    9:00p            @    Denver Nuggets                                
Thu, Apr 7, 2022    8:00p            @    Minnesota Timberwolves                                
Sat, Apr 9, 2022                    Golden State Warriors                                
Sun, Apr 10, 2022                @    Dallas Mavericks                                                    

35 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

And so it begins ( by “it” I mean injuries that we will inevitably see that will shape the playoffs, as it seems to every year).

Big loss for Boston.

Fuck that's brutal. Not that I'm going to weep for the Celtics but that's a really tough one with their current form. They may have to find a FA. 

49 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Notwithstanding Anthony Davis coming back

Assuming AD is done. He's 4 weeks into a 4-6 week timetable. 

Fuck we really might catch those assholes... 

On 3/25/2022 at 11:52 PM, ztejas said:

This is just fucking embarrassing. Dude should be fired and blackballed from the league for attaching his name to this garbage. 

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/33595989/los-angeles-lakers-frank-vogel-touts-lebron-james-case-mvp

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. -- If it were up to Los Angeles Lakers coach Frank Vogel, LeBron James would be adding a fifth MVP award to his career accomplishments after this season.

"He is as deserving for MVP consideration as anybody in the league," Vogel said after practice Friday. "I know how the voting goes -- the team with the best record or top couple of records usually gets most of those considerations, so the win-loss record definitely would probably hurt him.

"But you can't tell me that anybody has played a better season than LeBron James has this year."

Fired and blackballed for hyping/promoting his player?

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, 4doorsMoreWhores said:

Fired and blackballed for hyping/promoting his player?

Yeah, his comments were stupid as hell given the context of their season but what was he supposed to say about his player?

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, d2o said:

Yeah, his comments were stupid as hell given the context of their season but what was he supposed to say about his player?

As I said above, he very easily could have made the point that LeBron has proven that he's still one of the very best players in the league without using the letters "MVP" anywhere. Though, in his defense, saying "one of" probably gets him fired by GM LeBron, so it was a pretty clever workaround.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

As I said above, he very easily could have made the point that LeBron has proven that he's still one of the very best players in the league without using the letters "MVP" anywhere. Though, in his defense, saying "one of" probably gets him fired by GM LeBron, so it was a pretty clever workaround.

Yeah there was a catering angle involved as well.   Still nothing to get that worked up about.

• Hook 'Em 2