NBA 2021-2022

ztejas

I don't think Russ is an asshole for not wanting his family to hear that stuff. He is an asshole for thinking confronting the fans is the appropriate response. The appropriate response is to demonstrate resilience and hard work to your kids and develop a reliable jump shot through hundreds of thousands of hours of practice. But that's not him.

He looks pretty tho.

32 minutes ago, Llogg said:

I don't think Russ is an asshole for not wanting his family to hear that stuff. He is an asshole for thinking confronting the fans is the appropriate response. The appropriate response is to demonstrate resilience and hard work to your kids and develop a reliable jump shot through hundreds of thousands of hours of practice. But that's not him.

I have no problem whatsoever with him trying to protect his family from the truly heinous shit that stupid, entitled fans say. More athletes should speak up rather than just take it when it crosses a line. But Westbrick? 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

4th highest paid player and ranked 116th in PER. I know PER isn’t end all be all stat but it kinda shows where he’s at.

Hopefully some team isn’t dumb enough to give up assets. Maybe since it’s LA, lebrons gonna be 38 next year making 44 million, Davis making 38 million and Russ making 47…let’s run the same team back next year.

PER gives him too much credit because he's a stat whore. Of 228 players with at least 1,000 minutes played this season Russ is 192nd in BPM and 217th in WS/48. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, aggie08 said:

I have no problem whatsoever with him trying to protect his family from the truly heinous shit that stupid, entitled fans say. More athletes should speak up rather than just take it when it crosses a line. But Westbrick? 

I don't care who it is, other people paid to be in that arena to watch the game too, just because you paid more to sit near the benches shouldn't give you the right to harass players or their family. There's a big difference between "booing" or some jokey BS that people yell and things like:
"I hope your family dies"

repeatedly calling a black players "Boy"

"I hope Bronny dies in a car wreck"

“I’ll put a nickel in your back and watch you dance, boy.”

Throwing beer, popcorn, bottles or spitting on players. Those should be automatic bans for life from ALL NBA arenas, and result in an arrest (happens most of the time). These players, no matter how bad they are, or how much you hate them, don't deserve any of that shit while at their job.  Let them play, annoy them on Twitter and social media if you really want to bother them, but leave the game alone. 

• Hook 'Em 3

10 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

I don't care who it is, other people paid to be in that arena to watch the game too, just because you paid more to sit near the benches shouldn't give you the right to harass players or their family. There's a big difference between "booing" or some jokey BS that people yell and things like:
"I hope your family dies"

repeatedly calling a black players "Boy"

"I hope Bronny dies in a car wreck"

“I’ll put a nickel in your back and watch you dance, boy.”

Throwing beer, popcorn, bottles or spitting on players. Those should be automatic bans for life from ALL NBA arenas, and result in an arrest (happens most of the time). These players, no matter how bad they are, or how much you hate them, don't deserve any of that shit while at their job.  Let them play, annoy them on Twitter and social media if you really want to bother them, but leave the game alone. 

No doubt. I agree with all of this. And I'm sure that Westbrook gets more of this than most given how polarizing and snarly he is, even among fans of his current team. He obviously doesn't deserve that. But he really did himself a disservice--and the entire message will be undercut--because he focused on people calling him "Westbrick" rather than the more egregious offenders.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Kermit said:

Maybe you shouldn’t suck. You could always quit. 

at what point does he realize that he's a public figure, and that part of the deal that comes with being a mega rich superstar is that people you don't even know are going to judge you for how you behave and comport yourself? for well over a decade now Russ has been selfish, angry, dismissive, boisterous, spoiled, entitled, he's been a terrible teammate, he's tanked multiple franchises, he plays angry and argues with officials and wildly gesticulates and complains like a child, he's been defiantly non fan friendly, something better almost wears like a badge of honor, and oh yeah, has overall been a me-first, fuck-my-team loser who brings down the level of everyone around him. welcome to the real world dude. you act like a jackass and people don't like you. who knew?

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, shadow_operative said:

at what point does he realize that he's a public figure, and that part of the deal that comes with being a mega rich superstar is that people you don't even know are going to judge you for how you behave and comport yourself? for well over a decade now Russ has been selfish, angry, dismissive, boisterous, spoiled, entitled, he's been a terrible teammate, he's tanked multiple franchises, he plays angry and argues with officials and wildly gesticulates and complains like a child, he's been defiantly non fan friendly, something better almost wears like a badge of honor, and oh yeah, has overall been a me-first, fuck-my-team loser who brings down the level of everyone around him. welcome to the real world dude. you act like a jackass and people don't like you. who knew?

Sounds perfect for a Laker player...  😋

I think Philly will come out of the East now. They are playing great since getting Harden, and Harden looks as good as he did last year.  I'm hoping we get an epic gauntlet of East playoff matchups:

Round 1: Philly vs Nets

Round 2: Philly vs Bucks

Round 3: Philly vs Heat

Round 4: Philly vs Phoenix?

Lots of fun matchups, Harden vs Nets, 76ers vs Simmons (if he plays).  Embiid vs Giannis, Harden vs CP3.  Could be setup for some good grudge matches :D

nobody is talking about the celtics,  it it would not surprise me to see them in the ECF. they've been the best team in the east, basically ever since marcus smart told brown and tatum to start passing the damn ball. it's their defense however that has been outstanding, and if they keep that up, they will be a tough out for anyone. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

nobody is talking about the celtics,  it it would not surprise me to see them in the ECF. they've been the best team in the east, basically ever since marcus smart told brown and tatum to start passing the damn ball. it's their defense however that has been outstanding, and if they keep that up, they will be a tough out for anyone. 

They are starting to get talked about on the podcast circuit in the last week to 10 days. 
I personally don’t believe in them as more than 2nd round speedbump for Philly, Milwaukee or a healthy Brooklyn (if they come together and gel and have all their guys) but they could sneak into the ECF I suppose with the right draw or combination of circumstances. 

27 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

They are starting to get talked about on the podcast circuit in the last week to 10 days. 
I personally don’t believe in them as more than 2nd round speedbump for Philly, Milwaukee or a healthy Brooklyn (if they come together and gel and have all their guys) but they could sneak into the ECF I suppose with the right draw or combination of circumstances. 

or if Jayson Tatum finally takes that next step and becomes a true NBA alpha. i actually wasn't sure if he would ever even get to the level he's currently at, but he's showing signs of becoming a real no.1. still probably not a guy who can lead a team to a title, but i'm starting to think he can lead his guys further than they'll be projected to go. that team is really in sync defensively, and if he can be getting you 35 every night with efficiency, then watch out for Boston in the east. 

8 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

I agree with your conclusion but I actually think the improvement coincided more with the trade for White than with Smart's call-out.

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

This is the first time since maybe the 1980s or early 90s where the eastern conference playoffs will be more compelling than the west. And if a couple of guys get healthy in the west, then it should be pretty damn good too. 

I know where you’re going with this and I’m just gonna say it…fuck Kawhi Leonard.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

This is the first time since maybe the 1980s or early 90s where the eastern conference playoffs will be more compelling than the west.

I mean... I thought the East was better last year. Aside from that and a couple other years you could maybe nitpick I think you're probably right, though. 

4 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

or if Jayson Tatum finally takes that next step and becomes a true NBA alpha.

I think Tatum has taken that step. That isn't my issue with Boston. My issue with them is that their 2nd option is Jaylen Brown and their 3rd option is... Al Horford? Marcus Smart? Milwaukee last year had Middleton and Jrue and that almost bounced them out of the playoffs and that was with Giannis. Middleton and Jaylen is pretty much a wash and Jrue is certainly a better player than whoever is the 3rd banana in Boston. So on nights where Tatum isn't cooking - who is picking up the slack? Last year Boston won 1 playoff game and that was when Tatum had 50 (granted they played a version of a team that would be heavy favorites in this East).

Philly has the most obvious star power at 1 and 2 - assuming Kyrie still can't play home games in the playoffs. Chicago goes deeper on primary options - although I'd probably take Tatum over DeMar. Miami is the other team that is relying on a team effort more so than 2 or 3 guys - but if they're healthy then I trust them more than Boston (for multiple reasons).

In saying that about Boston - every team has at least one red flag or a clear hang up. I think it's more about rating the short comings and how likely they are to cost a team. In Boston's case... regularly finding 45 points from 2 other guys besides Tatum in half their games in the playoffs concerns me a bit. At least as much as something like Harden's playoff resume concerns me. 

Edited by ztejas

On 7/29/2021 at 8:29 PM, Sbbruin said:

I disagree.  None of what we gave up is better than what Russ brings.  Let’s not forget that the Wiz were a pretty tough out the second half of the season last year and a playoff team.  He never fit on Houston, but that’s because Houston is a dysfunctional mess.  He makes the Lakers better.  I will take a healthy LBJ, AD, and Russ over KD, Harden, and Kyrie.  There’s too much hate on this site for the Lakers for objectivity, but if you have it, you’d likely agree.  2 top 5’s, 1 top 15.  And there will be a lot of vets who take a haircut to play with this group.  Mark my words.  They will fill this roster out nicely.  Cap penalty be damned.  We got the $$$.  Jeanie Buss DGAF.

On 7/29/2021 at 9:14 PM, BigOrange1 said:

lmao the only time he's been out of the first round in the past 5 years was the season he played for the dysfunctional mess.

this feels like an appropriate time to bump this exchange from last summer's offseason thread.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3