NBA 2021-2022

ztejas

1 hour ago, Sweetnsourpoke said:

You're probably right. I've just never seen a pro sports market quite like this. 

Professional sports leagues tend to avoid redneck, meth-ridden shitholes like oklahoma.   You had a local guy who cheated his way to the top, bought and moved the team despite promising he would never do that, and then offed himself before standing trial and going to prison.  Probably not a whole bunch of comparable situations.

• Hook 'Em 1

I've hit about 9 Thunder home games this season and the attendance has been horrendous. I'm not exaggerating when I say there are nights where we only have 6 or 7,000 in the seats. You can pay $10 for a ticket on stubhub and sit pretty much anywhere. 

I've noticed the three things that have impacted the attendance: rebuild, organization's support of BLM, and the earlier requirement to have vaccines and masks at games. 

The vast number of politically conservative people in this community that openly want this organization to fail and/or relocate and leave Oklahoma City is pretty astounding. I hear it quite a bit from the 'Go Woke/Go Broke' crowd. They actually want the NBA to leave town. 

Do you think behind closed doors that the NBA is regretting putting a team in Oklahoma City? I don't think you'd be seeing these politically related issues in Seattle.  

This is a completely ridiculous take.  When they're good, they sell out most every game.  They're openly tanking right now.  There are plenty of cities that can't or don't support their pro sports teams but Okie City ain't it.  They're actually middle of the road this year in local TV ratings and that's with a shit team and yes, I've been to about as many games as you have.

College football teams took about the same political stances as the Thunder and OU football is sold out every game.

We heard all about how these same people would never watch another NFL game ever and you know what that did this year?  They watched NFL games.

Edited by Aqua Buddha
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Sweetnsourpoke said:

I've hit about 9 Thunder home games this season and the attendance has been horrendous. I'm not exaggerating when I say there are nights where we only have 6 or 7,000 in the seats. You can pay $10 for a ticket on stubhub and sit pretty much anywhere. 

I've noticed the three things that have impacted the attendance: rebuild, organization's support of BLM, and the earlier requirement to have vaccines and masks at games. 

The vast number of politically conservative people in this community that openly want this organization to fail and/or relocate and leave Oklahoma City is pretty astounding. I hear it quite a bit from the 'Go Woke/Go Broke' crowd. They actually want the NBA to leave town. 

Do you think behind closed doors that the NBA is regretting putting a team in Oklahoma City? I don't think you'd be seeing these politically related issues in Seattle.  

Mad Max Reaction GIF

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 3

You're probably right. I've just never seen a pro sports market quite like this. 

Probably because it's undeserving of a pro sports market.  I don't mean that from a political or social aspect but from a business one.  It simply doesn't have the economical foundations to support a sports franchise through a pro-longed era of terribleness, especially as a transplant.  Probably be better as a G-league site.

Edited by Patrick Bateman
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Sweetnsourpoke said:

The people you describe will jump right back on the bandwagon when a winning professional sports team gives some semblance of pride to their life that is otherwise mired in mediocrity. Winning cures all 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Probably because it's undeserving of a pro sports market.  I don't mean that from a political or social aspect but from a business one.  It simply doesn't have the economical foundations to support a sports franchise through a pro-longed era of terribleness, especially as a transplant.  Probably be better as a G-league site.

From 2018 when they were good:

The Thunder have one of the longest active sellout streaks in the league as they have sold out 349 consecutive home games at Chesapeake Energy Arena and that number figures to jump to 350 on Monday night.

https://okcthunderwire.usatoday.com/2018/11/12/oklahoma-city-thunder-nba-consecutive-home-sellouts-active-streak-attendance/

• Hook 'Em 1

holy shit.  i've read some bad takes on here but to get a 2 for 1 in that chris paul is 1) a journeyman and 2) reliant upon his athleticism and never developed any skills has to be very near the top of the list.  my god.
Apparently the Point God is a false idol to some.
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

From 2018 when they were good:

The Thunder have one of the longest active sellout streaks in the league as they have sold out 349 consecutive home games at Chesapeake Energy Arena and that number figures to jump to 350 on Monday night.

https://okcthunderwire.usatoday.com/2018/11/12/oklahoma-city-thunder-nba-consecutive-home-sellouts-active-streak-attendance/

Thank you for supporting my argument.  See, even an unabashed fan of the franchise understands.  When a franchise is good, almost any market can support a winner.  Its the rebuild or wandering the desert years where a market sees if they can sustain needed attention.  OKC is bottom 5 in overall attendance.  They're bottom 5-6 in overall estimated valuations..... falling 5-6 spots since 2019.  With a small international fandom now that KD is gone, OKC needs a transcendent star..... like most small market teams.  Milwaukee has a huge international following right now and it's not because folks are obsessed with cheeseheads.  OKC keeps falling in attendance and value until they can start winning again and they'll never break into the big boys until they can get a global brand star like KD.  Good news is those guys come around every couple of decades.  If they keep fumbling about, they'll be prime for relocation rumors for awhile.

I'll say one place the Thunder are good at..... social media rankings.  They're top 10 or some shit.  Analysts are split on if this means anything to the bottom line though.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

5 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Thank you for supporting my argument.  See, even an unabashed fan of the franchise understands.  When a franchise is good, almost any market can support a winner.  Its the rebuild or wandering the desert years where a market sees if they can sustain needed attention.  OKC is bottom 5 in overall attendance.  They're bottom 5-6 in overall estimated valuations..... falling 5-6 spots since 2019.  With a small international fandom now that KD is gone, OKC needs a transcendent star..... like most small market teams.  Milwaukee has a huge international following right now and it's not because folks are obsessed with cheeseheads.  OKC keeps falling in attendance and value until they can start winning again and they'll never break into the big boys until they can get a global brand star like KD.  Good news is those guys come around every couple of decades.  If they keep fumbling about, they'll be prime for relocation rumors for awhile.

And it wasn't just KD... I get we bag on Russ a lot but he was a legit top 10 player for about 5 years there. When those 2 were healthy they went 1st round, WCF, Finals, WCF, WCF - and lost to the eventual champ in 4 of those 5 seasons.

And they drafted those guys in b2b years. Then drafted Harden. Good luck doing that again - let alone ever having anyone as good as KD play for that city again. 

Edited by ztejas

So why do the Warriors suck now? They have dropped a lot of games, and are about to lose the 2 seed to Memphis. I really thought Klay coming back would set them up to contend for the number 1 seed to finish the season, but they are losing to bad teams that should be easy wins.

26 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I'll say one place the Thunder are good at..... social media rankings.  They're top 10 or some shit.  Analysts are split on if this means anything to the bottom line though.

There are plenty of pro sports teams that are never good, never get local support, and never get ratings but yes, let's talking about the team that is none of those.

41 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Name me a pro sports franchise that sells out and gets great ratings when they're terrible.  Yes, I understand that markets matter but it's not automatic.  

19 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

So why do the Warriors suck now? They have dropped a lot of games, and are about to lose the 2 seed to Memphis. I really thought Klay coming back would set them up to contend for the number 1 seed to finish the season, but they are losing to bad teams that should be easy wins.

They are really missing Draymond. And Klay hasn't been great.

I just feel like that big 3 is almost out of collective steam. They played so many minutes from 2015-2019 - and they're all on the wrong side of 30. 

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

Everyone regressed after a hot start..... especially Steph who went from MVP favorite to nowhere near the top 5.  Klay has rust.  Some of the bench guys aren't playing as well.  If there's one positive, while Wiggins has regressed towards his career averages in overall metrics, he's continued to shoot the 3 over 40% which is legit.  May have found his role as a supporting 3 and D guy.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Name me a pro sports franchise that sells out and gets great ratings when they're terrible.  Yes, I understand that markets matter but it's not automatic.  

Nice false choice.  Show me where I stated that other markets sell out and get great ratings when they're bad although I'm sure there's a case to be made for some of the big market teams for having credible ratings.  Regardless, just accept that your plight today is much different than 2018.  You're a shitty team with a bunch of no names, you're a small market team with no real franchise history and shaky management.  Presti and your boatload of picks is on the asset sheet..... just don't blow them because if you do, again like most small market teams, you're going to struggle and have to deal with relocation rumors especially with no history of ultimate success.

7 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

This is a completely ridiculous take.  When they're good, they sell out most every game.  They're openly tanking right now.  There are plenty of cities that can't or don't support their pro sports teams but Okie City ain't it.  They're actually middle of the road this year in local TV ratings and that's with a shit team and yes, I've been to about as many games as you have.

College football teams took about the same political stances as the Thunder and OU football is sold out every game.

We heard all about how these same people would never watch another NFL game ever and you know what that did this year?  They watched NFL games.

Have you looked around the arena lately? Christ, it's like a Tulsa Oilers home game in there. The Golden State crowd was great (lots of kids cheering for Curry) but the following game against Toronto was abysmal. You'd think there was 4 feet of snow outside. 

You should really visit with some regular folks in Oklahoma City. It's like a cult when it comes to conservative political allegiance. I know at least a dozen families that have cancelled season tickets due to politics. Bizarro world. 

• Fuck You 1

8 hours ago, Sweetnsourpoke said:

Have you looked around the arena lately? Christ, it's like a Tulsa Oilers home game in there. The Golden State crowd was great (lots of kids cheering for Curry) but the following game against Toronto was abysmal. You'd think there was 4 feet of snow outside. 

You should really visit with some regular folks in Oklahoma City. It's like a cult when it comes to conservative political allegiance. I know at least a dozen families that have cancelled season tickets due to politics. Bizarro world. 

Every single one of those people said the same thing about college football and the NFL yet there they were.  People have short memories.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ztejas said:

Mobley with a career high in rebounds and now he's draining 3s on these hoes. 

Now that Jarrett Allen is out with a fractured finger (seriously the amount of Cavs injuries is just comical at this point) it is my hope that will force Mobley to become more assertive on the offensive end which Will help him in the long run.

8 hours ago, Sweetnsourpoke said:

Fans aren't going to pay $200 to watch 3rd stringers and G League dudes.  Attendance wasn't terrible at the beginning of the season but to your point, there are only a few thousand people there some night.  The account exec I deal with even called me up one day and asked if I wanted more tickets.  (I have a quarter season package.  That made me think they got told to get on the phone and dial up some asses in seats.)

That makes me think they overestimated attendance this year.  They knew it wouldn't be great but to my point, they're rolling out G league dudes and third stringers and they're surprisingly competitive some nights.  My guess is this is the last tank year.  If they get lucky in the lottery this offseason, I could see them trading a bunch of future assets for actual NBA players to go with SGA, Giddey, and the draft pick.

They can't afford 2-3 more years of openly tanking.

On 3/5/2022 at 10:10 PM, Nolacycling said:

RW reminds me of Steve Francis from Rockets. Relied completely on his quickness and never developed his game. I sorta feel the same way about CP3 although he did make some effort that allowed him to make commercials. But he still hasn't produced at championship time 

CP3 never developed his game????

18 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

Klay clearly isnt ready to really contribute.   Honestly he's probably too proud for it but he needs to go to the G league for about 10 gms to get his confidence/rhythm back before the playoffs.

Also as much as people try to attribute their success to Steph, Dray is the straw that stirs the drink for them.  He's out and they struggle.

2 hours ago, d2o said:

Dray is the straw that stirs the drink for them. 

Did you steal that from Bill Simmons?

Not accusing you. He used the same phrase in talking about Draymond yesterday. 

Edited by ztejas

21 hours ago, ztejas said:

And it wasn't just KD... I get we bag on Russ a lot but he was a legit top 10 player for about 5 years there. When those 2 were healthy they went 1st round, WCF, Finals, WCF, WCF - and lost to the eventual champ in 4 of those 5 seasons.

And they drafted those guys in b2b years. Then drafted Harden. Good luck doing that again - let alone ever having anyone as good as KD play for that city again. 

They got lucky with Durant, considering Portland once again fucked up and took a big over a generational talent.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, d2o said:

Also as much as people try to attribute their success to Steph, Dray is the straw that stirs the drink for them.  He's out and they struggle.

C'mon, now. That's ridiculous. And you won't find a bigger Draymond fan than me. But even with this latest 2-8 skid, they're 14-12 on the year in games that Steph plays and Dray does not. Certainly not great, but competitive. They'd be an abject dumpster fire the past two seasons without Steph. Steph is the Warriors.

Obviously, they need a healthy Draymond to reemerge as title contenders, though. Their offense isn't as good as even the pre-KD teams, so the defense has to pick up the slack. With Draymond, they were, by far, the best defense in the league. Without him, they're pedestrian. Reason #11,758 why it's ridiculous that Rudy Gobert has 3 DPOT trophies and Dray only has one.

Edited by aggie08

13 minutes ago, Kermit said:

Maybe you shouldn’t suck. You could always quit. 

What a fucking bitch dude. Like he's been the same exact player for how long now? He has never made one single effort to fix the obvious holes in his game. Legit criticism was always labeled as "haters", and he was enabled to win an MVP with his awful play style. That shit is just bad for the game right there. And now he wants to bring up his family and have us feel sorry for him? No dude, you suck. Take fucking accountability, coward.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4th highest paid player and ranked 116th in PER. I know PER isn’t end all be all stat but it kinda shows where he’s at.

Hopefully some team isn’t dumb enough to give up assets. Maybe since it’s LA, lebrons gonna be 38 next year making 44 million, Davis making 38 million and Russ making 47…let’s run the same team back next year.

12 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

4th highest paid player and ranked 116th in PER. I know PER isn’t end all be all stat but it kinda shows where he’s at.

Hopefully some team isn’t dumb enough to give up assets. Maybe since it’s LA, lebrons gonna be 38 next year making 44 million, Davis making 38 million and Russ making 47…let’s run the same team back next year.

Do they have any assets to give? Aren’t they tapped out like Francesca Le at the end of a bukkake video?

12 hours ago, aggie08 said:

C'mon, now. That's ridiculous. And you won't find a bigger Draymond fan than me. But even with this latest 2-8 skid, they're 14-12 on the year in games that Steph plays and Dray does not. Certainly not great, but competitive. They'd be an abject dumpster fire the past two seasons without Steph. Steph is the Warriors.

Obviously, they need a healthy Draymond to reemerge as title contenders, though. Their offense isn't as good as even the pre-KD teams, so the defense has to pick up the slack. With Draymond, they were, by far, the best defense in the league. Without him, they're pedestrian. Reason #11,758 why it's ridiculous that Rudy Gobert has 3 DPOT trophies and Dray only has one.

How is this different than what I said?   I never said Steph sucks nor am I saying they would be good with Dray and no Steph.  Dray is what holds them together though.  14-12 with Steph and no Dray is struggling when they had they best record in the league for a while with Dray.

8 minutes ago, d2o said:

How is this different than what I said?   I never said Steph sucks nor am I saying they would be good with Dray and no Steph.  Dray is what holds them together though.  14-12 with Steph and no Dray is struggling when they had they best record in the league for a while with Dray.

Sorry, you said that people "try" to attribute the Warriors' success to Steph, and I read that as you saying that those people are wrong to do so. Obviously Steph is the most important piece, but, you're right, Draymond's impact has always been underrated.

Moreover, the true duo in Golden State's rise was Steph/Dray, not the Splash Brothers. Their games and basketball IQs have always complimented each other perfectly, and they have 8 years of chemistry together. It's why their time on the court is almost always mirrored.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Kermit said:

Do they have any assets to give? Aren’t they tapped out like Francesca Le at the end of a bukkake video?

Yes. After the league calendar flips over they can trade 27 first and 29 first. Pick swap 28. 
john wall for the 27 first come on down!  

30 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Sorry, you said that people "try" to attribute the Warriors' success to Steph, and I read that as you saying that those people are wrong to do so. Obviously Steph is the most important piece, but, you're right, Draymond's impact has always been underrated.

Moreover, the true duo in Golden State's rise was Steph/Dray, not the Splash Brothers. Their games and basketball IQs have always complimented each other perfectly, and they have 8 years of chemistry together. It's why their time on the court is almost always mirrored.

I meant many solely attribute their success to Steph.   They aren't the machine they've been over the yrs without Dray along with Steph.

• Hook 'Em 1

I don't think Russ is an asshole for not wanting his family to hear that stuff. He is an asshole for thinking confronting the fans is the appropriate response. The appropriate response is to demonstrate resilience and hard work to your kids and develop a reliable jump shot through hundreds of thousands of hours of practice. But that's not him.