Most devastating loss handed OUT by Texas?

ztejas

2 hours ago, Horn Draoi said:

Sorry, no offense meant; it’s always fascinated me that we aspiring graduates were never taught the difference between “alumnus,” “alumna,” and “alumni.”  Maybe I can get the Exes to send out a blast email………Hook ‘Em.

No big deal. I do know the difference. I'm posting on a whim on a message board and not proof reading. 

33 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

First UT game ever they defeated a team that had never been scored on.

image.thumb.png.38e25b23c98de83dc2a0b44eb4c9a5ec.png

This article is impossible. Aggy lore tells us that we used to actually be called "Texas University." Aggy lore also tells us they never lie, cheat, or steal.

Ok so the way I read this question is that such a loss has to have a ripple effect on the losing team for a long period.

In that respect, all the Nebraska wins should suffice because the first one marked the beginning of a steep decline for that program from which they've still not recovered. They had a 9-2 season under first year head coach Bob Devaney back in 1962. Between that and the inaugural Big 12 season of 1996 (34 years), they won at least 9 games in all but 2 seasons (went 6-4 in both '67 and '68). They won at least a share of the MNC 4 times in that period. Over their very loud objections about Texas joining the Big 12, they faced that same Texas in 1996. They did manage to win an MNC in 1997 and made an appearance in the 2001 game, but that 1996 Big 12 CCG marked the beginning of the end. After Miami tossed their limp corpse into the Pacific Ocean, they became an average program at best. Yes, that 1996 game certainly qualifies and I would rank that one ahead of the subsequent defeats.

Aggy wins in 1995 and 2011 certainly qualify.

2006 Rose Bowl certainly qualifies, although I'll say the subsequent NCAA sanctions that came down on them also had a lot to do with their slouching into mediocrity.

Here are some lesser known ones, largely because they weren't seen as significant wins by UT fans over an extended period:

2008 vs. Kansas. Kansas just came off a BCS bowl win in the previous year, had a solid team coming back the next year. Texas wins 35-7. That was their final loss of what wound up being an 8-5 season, and they haven't won more than 3 games in any year where Mangino was not the HC. Again, the impact of the win was mitigated by subsequent revelations of Mangino's conduct towards his players, which ultimately led to his ouster.

2009 vs. Texas Tech. Like Kansas the year previous, they were coming off the best season in school history. They lose to Texas by 10, ultimately lose 3 other games, Leach gets railroaded by alumni who were reluctant to increase his salary (in fact, the Chancellor of the University would go so far as to commit perjury in order to give the appearance of legitimacy of his for cause termination). Again, mitigating factors, but a loss to Texas is included and Texas Tech has still yet to win 9 games in a season since 2009.

1989 vs. Oklahoma. Gardere's personal first of four in a row, the team ultimately goes 5 out of 6 through 1994 and 7-2-1 to close out the decade of the 1990's, which was easily the worst decade for Oklahoma football. Of course they've since made it back, but it took quite a while .

• Hook 'Em 5

8 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Yes but we're trying to rank it from the opponents perspective. It isn't best Texas wins

Then in the HPSlugga scenario, the OU loss in 2008  for Tech was infinitely worse.  As for 2009, Texas, and Leach’s departure; a very small part of me wrapped in tinfoil wondered if UT big dicks orchestrated the whole ordeal.  Tech was infringing upon relevance…

On the field, I can’t remember a UT loss that particularly stung.  Tech is almost always the underdog, and for most of the series Texas has held serve.Last year’s sucked as bad as any, with the almost impossible comeback by the Horns.

Edited by slorch

1 hour ago, BonzoMontreaux said:

@hpslugga said it for me... Nebraska 96.  It is indeed the game that set them on the path into the wilderness they find themselves in today.

I think the 1995 aggy game.  Texas, after having been in A&M and Houston's shadows for a decade, seized the final SWC championship on visitor turf.

It was a watershed event in the two different directions each program was on.  A&M would go on to win the B12 title in '98, but even that had a loss against Texas and an embarrassing bowl loss.

After '96, Nebraska would go on to win another MNC and another B12 Championship (against Texas).  Their coach retired and some rules changed, so their eventual demise was not all on Texas' on the field domination.  Plus they had 3 recent MNC's and one of the best teams of all time on their resume, plus a lot of other close calls for winning it all over almost a 20 year period.

The writing on the wall was just not as apparent with Nebraska, but with aggy, you knew their time was over.  

5 minutes ago, Jiggy-Z said:

I think the 1995 aggy game.  Texas, after having been in A&M and Houston's shadows for a decade, seized the final SWC championship on visitor turf.

It was a watershed event in the two different directions each program was on.  A&M would go on to win the B12 title in '98, but even that had a loss against Texas and an embarrassing bowl loss.

After '96, Nebraska would go on to win another MNC and another B12 Championship (against Texas).  Their coach retired and some rules changed, so their eventual demise was not all on Texas' on the field domination.  Plus they had 3 recent MNC's and one of the best teams of all time on their resume, plus a lot of other close calls for winning it all over almost a 20 year period.

The writing on the wall was just not as apparent with Nebraska, but with aggy, you knew their time was over.  

Probably all right - but winning 3 in a row is an extremely elusive accomplishment. The last time it happened was 1936. I'm assuming there are plenty of Corn fans who still bemoan that. Good point that I'm guessing they're fairly over it after winning in '97, though (although that was a split MNC).

We did it to USC - too. Fucked up the cherry on their dynasty. Difference being they have yet to get back. 

2 hours ago, slorch said:

Then in the HPSlugga scenario, the OU loss in 2008  for Tech was infinitely worse.  As for 2009, Texas, and Leach’s departure; a very small part of me wrapped in tinfoil wondered if UT big dicks orchestrated the whole ordeal.  Tech was infringing upon relevance…

On the field, I can’t remember a UT loss that particularly stung.  Tech is almost always the underdog, and for most of the series Texas has held serve.Last year’s sucked as bad as any, with the almost impossible comeback by the Horns.

In retrospect, it doesn't seem quite so bad, but at the time, the whipping Tech took in Austin in 1995 (48-7 UT) really hurt. That was my senior year at Tech, we had a really solid team with Zach Thomas playing his last year, we had beat UT in Lubbock the previous year with the biggest final margin ever for a Tech win over UT (33-9 Tech), we had a big over A&M earlier in the season, and the game was more or less a showdown for the SWC title. We got killed from the start of the game, never competitive. It was maybe the only big downer amongst a lot of other good memories that season.

That was also the game where our punter got killed by Tony Brackens, creating an evergreen UT highlight, so that's another reason why I hate that game.

3 hours ago, BonzoMontreaux said:

@hpslugga said it for me... Nebraska 96.  It is indeed the game that set them on the path into the wilderness they find themselves in today.

I had to listen to that game on the radio. I was so pissed off. My wife at the time insisted I go to her horse show in San Antonio that day. 

I filed for divorce two months later. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

“Both teams were in the pink of condition” is a phrase not used enough these days. 

Maybe it was autocorrect. 

Both teams were in South Austin's mom's pink of condition after the game. 

Edited by Eggo

6 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Beating Ohio State in the shoe at night was pretty sweet. Those fucking asshole fans didn't deal with it too well. 

Didn't happen. No one beats Ohio State at night in the 'shoe. No one!

The 06' Rose Bowl is the answer. USC fans just showed up to accept the trophy. They couldn't even be bothered to talk shit before the game. To them it was to be a coronation of the greatest team ever.  Followed closely by undefeated Arkansas blowing a 14-point lead in the fourth quarter, at home, thereby handing their most-hated rival a national title.

So far I think the top 3 have to be (in no order):

- Every win against Nebraska

- 06 Rose Bowl

-1969 Arkansas

- '95 aggy maybe honorable mention

Maybe 27-25* aggy as a close 4th but unfortunately that one isn't going to stand the test of time as much. 

There have been some good outside-the-box answers, though. Like 2008 Kansas and 1990 Houston. 

Edited by ztejas

1 minute ago, Deej said:

100 plus years of devastating losses for aggy...how can you choose one?

Yeah. It's almost like every time they lose it's just as devastating. 

Which is why the eternal scoreboard game will diminish over time. Ultimately it will just end up being another year another loss for them. 

5 minutes ago, ousux said:
2 hours ago, TreatyOak said:
How University of Texas head corch Mac Brown defeating the University of Texas for ten years straight with his scorched earth exit.

Whack-a-mole-1.jpg

I'd replace CDC with Steve Patterson, and ffs..no Shawn Watson?

I have blocked those names from my memory. Who are those people you speak of?