Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

1 minute ago, Walden Ponderer said:

If we get Milroe, my chief hope then becomes that Stone end up anywhere other than a Big 12 team. He's the kind of guy who would never pan out for Texas, but always seems to tear it up at Tech, or TCU, or Okie State.

The only QBs who really scare me at those type of schools, assuming we have a competent DC and recruit like we should, are the dual threat types.

31 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Don't know what type of impact it would have, but Milroe is pals and has known/played with Adeleye, Conner, and Foster since youth league football.  This was a tweet by Brauniger a while back.

https://mobile.twitter.com/R_Brauninger/status/1129031960775602179

Brandon Campbell also went to Katy Taylor last year before transferring to Pearland and I think maybe grew up with those guys too, he seems to be very vocal on twitter about his love for the Horns hope we get him on board soon. 

I'd be happy with Stone or Milroe, but Stone looks to have the better throwing mechanics, so I'm a little biased. Also he's a 5*, and I love sipping aggy tears. 

Anyone know where he may end up if we take Milroe instead?

I watched two minutes of hudl’s on each so I think I’m pretty close to being an expert on both.

The one thing I noticed is that Stone loves to spin backwards where Milroe is always stepping up in the pocket. Competition scares me with Stone as well.

3 minutes ago, shnsajax said:

I watched two minutes of hudl’s on each so I think I’m pretty close to being an expert on both.

The one thing I noticed is that Stone loves to spin backwards where Milroe is always stepping up in the pocket. Competition scares me with Stone as well.

I'm with you on the competition, as others have stated. He's already ran away from big boy football, and I can't see him waiting it out for his turn. I guess the only reason I would want him is for the avg rating bump. I'd be pumped for Milroe, too. 

16 hours ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

I'd call him a poor man's JaQuinden Jackson

I disagree with the idea that a guy will take as much punishment as Sam if he's a similar athlete. Sam seeks out contact more than most running backs. There have been tons of successful dual threat QBs that aren't built like Sam. 

I love Sam and why he takes the contact makes me love him even more.  He's not going to out run you, he's probably not going to shake more than one guy, but rest assured at the end of the run he's going to try to run your ass over and push forward.   But even Sam can't take that pounding for a year without getting banged up and nicked; he's always an Iowa St. hit on a 3 and 14 scramble away from having that shoulder take a shot.  

I love Colt, but even he found out pretty quick what happens when you lower your shoulder inside.  Stone's not built for that - he's not fast enough to out run a McCulloch or Ossai to the boundary, so he's going to get pushed inside.  Once he gets in there, he's going to take his fair share of hits from corners, safety's, nickels, lb'ers, and most will be faster than him.  Milroe can bounce it outside and beat a lb'er or corner to the boundary, he can take it inside and outrun or shake a lb'er.  

So that leaves us with his mechanics, which I don't think are that great.  Everything is from below the ear, 3 quarter motion, he has to load low because he lacks the arm strength.  I'll take Milroe, who already throws over his ear and snaps the football.   

I think Buechele was every bit the quarterback Stone is, and I think Buechele threw a better ball and had better mechanics than Stone at that age.  Watch Buechele's senior tape versus Stone and you tell me who you'd rather have.  In our system, it's not even close between Stone and Milroe.  

• Like 4

stone is talking about commiting in January?  other positions might be able to play that wait and see game.  

dude needs to look at Haynes King this cycle. it really seemed he wanted to go anywhere but aggy. but he wanted SECx3 and Tennessee already had a guy. his choices were drastically reduced. 

this is whatll happen to Stone if he doesnt jump quick. Bama has got their guy. Milroe might jump by the weekend. 

stone is gonna fuck around and end up in a 2 QB class or forced to go somewhere less that what he thinks he deserves. 

maybe he really does want to go to SMU

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NorLa Horns said:

stone is talking about commiting in January?  other positions might be able to play that wait and see game.  

dude needs to look at Haynes King this cycle. it really seemed he wanted to go anywhere but aggy. but he wanted SECx3 and Tennessee already had a guy. his choices were drastically reduced. 

this is whatll happen to Stone if he doesnt jump quick. Bama has got their guy. Milroe might jump by the weekend. 

stone is gonna fuck around and end up in a 2 QB class or forced to go somewhere less that what he thinks he deserves. 

maybe he really does want to go to SMU

He should be at SMU.  I just don't see it with him - like I said, watch Buechele's highlights (which was against top tier HS football, not going to play the Catholics and Jesuits), and tell me who you want.  I'll take Buechele.  

5 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I'm with you on the competition, as others have stated. He's already ran away from big boy football, and I can't see him waiting it out for his turn. I guess the only reason I would want him is for the avg rating bump. I'd be pumped for Milroe, too. 

I’d bet a decent amount of money that Milroe will end up with a higher ranking than Stone before this cycle is over.

8 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

If we get Milroe, my chief hope then becomes that Stone end up anywhere other than a Big 12 team. He's the kind of guy who would never pan out for Texas, but always seems to tear it up at Tech, or TCU, or Okie State.

Interestingly, that’s the way I feel about Card. Hope I’m wrong. 

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I’m all for Milroe committing. Then stone committing because he thinks he’s the man, getting the ratings bump, then transferring out after a year. EABOD, aTm. 

Millroe is the safe bet, he can run well already and his throwing mechanics will only improve over his next two seasons in High school. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

This keeps coming up.  Let's just say that he stuck it out at Highland Park....would we even be talking about him right now?   Would he be stuck behind an upperclassman?  They did what they did because they thought it benefited their son.  So far, it looks like they are correct, wouldn't you say?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Viper said:

And if he came to Texas he'd be stuck behind multiple upperclassmen. After 2 years sitting would it benefit their son to transfer again?

Maybe so.  I know we all want kids to stay at a school, especially when it is UT, but sometimes it isn't what is best for the kid.  We have seen cases where the transfer helped tremendously (Murray), and we have seen some where the transfer hasn't helped (Allen).  If it's my son that is the 5-star quarterback, you can be damn sure that I will do what is best to help him maximize his future.  Every dad in here would do the same.  That might mean staying on at UT and fighting for a position in their 4th year and winning a championship and getting a good degree, but it might mean transferring elsewhere to start right away.  11 of 19 5* quarterbacks have transferred recently.  It's become the norm more than the exception.  

Should UT recruit the best talent or just the best talent that they think won't transfer?

Edited by coachkiss
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, coachkiss said:

Maybe so.  I know we all want kids to stay at a school, especially when it is UT, but sometimes it isn't what is best for the kid.  We have seen cases where the transfer helped tremendously (Murray), and we have seen some where the transfer hasn't helped (Allen).  If it's my son that is the 5-star quarterback, you can be damn sure that I will do what is best to help him maximize his future.  Every dad in here would do the same.  That might mean staying on at UT and fighting for a position in their 4th year and winning a championship and getting a good degree, but it might mean transferring elsewhere to start right away.  11 of 19 5* quarterbacks have transferred recently.  It's become the norm more than the exception.  

Should UT recruit the best talent or just the best talent that they think won't transfer?

Transfer likelihood aside, I think Milroe sounds like a better talent and culture fit.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, coachkiss said:

They should recruit the best talent for the offense they run, IMO.  I know there is buzz around a 5 Star, but I really don’t care about that. Think Tex nailed it for me.

1 hour ago, coachkiss said:

Is a guy that couldn’t win the job at highland park actually the best talent? That is the relevant question. His dad doing what’s best for the kid is beside the point from a Texas perspective.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

Is a guy that couldn’t win the job at highland park actually the best talent? That is the relevant question. His dad doing what’s best for the kid is beside the point from a Texas perspective.

Upperclassman Chandler Morris was a good enough QB to win State. No reason to put in a freshman.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Is Juan Davis a true TE or destined for another position??

https://247sports.com/Player/Juan-Davis-46083889/

Interesting question, given that there's room to debate whether the TE in this offense is a true TE or not. We're looking for a Swiss army knife kind of guy at that spot; he does seem a bit smallish at present, but if his frame can take an additional 35-40 pounds, he seems just about right.

8 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Interesting question, given that there's room to debate whether the TE in this offense is a true TE or not. We're looking for a Swiss army knife kind of guy at that spot; he does seem a bit smallish at present, but if his frame can take an additional 35-40 pounds, he seems just about right.

I'd also wager that Davis' frame isn't done growing, given that he hasn't even begun his junior year yet.

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Probably who we get instead of Landon Jackson in the end.

Landon Jackson isn’t a b-backer, he’ll be DL all the way. 

22 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Davis is 6’4, 217 before his junior year in HS. I don’t think size will be a concern. 

We use our primary TE pretty traditionally. Obviously, the more versatility, the better but I don’t think there’s much question about how we use TE in our base 11 personnel. 

I do think Herman wants to be able to run more 12 personnel, which is why taking Wiley and Liebrock was great and Mcree and Davis would be a great class.

Now that defenses are adjusting to spread and going lighter, the next move for offenses is to be able to run heavy personnel, but have the skill versatility to run 4 wide without subbing. Basically what the Pats did to win the Super Bowl. 

Once he has the personnel for it, I think Herman would like to have Wiley be lined up at inline TE, with guys Liebrock/Davis as a move piece that can start in the backfield at H-Back and be motioned out to the slot if the defense lines up heavy or stay In as a blocker if the defense tries to run a dime look.

Guys like Liebrock and Davis are perfect for that second TE role.

It’s such a drastic difference between watching a program under Herman as opposed to Strong. Herman certainly has some faults but there’s no doubt in my ind he’s one of the best offensive minds in college football , even if he doesn’t yet get the same notoriety as Lincoln Riley, and Herman being on the cutting edge of new offensive trends, like 2 TE sets, is going to pay real dividends.

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 7