Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

Roach on his CB changes

— A caring Aggie fan brought up my Crystal Ball predictions on Twitter today. In general, I’ve changed a lot of my stances on crystal ball strategy, and most of his gripe was with misses I had when I played a bit more reckless. Regardless, I thought now was a good time to update existing picks, and I figured Mike at Night would be a good companion piece to explain them.

— Tonight, I added a Texas pick for 2021 New Caney linebacker Derrick Harris Jr. The four-star prospect was really high on Texas before the offer, and after the offer, he told me that Texas held a slight edge over Texas A&M. Harris said he plans to wait until next summer, but I believe we could see him try to jump on while the 2021 momentum is hot.

— I went "Foggy" on 2021 Pleasant Grove defensive end Landon Jackson. There was a point in the fall and early spring where it looked like a foregone conclusion Jackson would land in the class, but dynamics changed on both sides. Jackson’s teammate Marcus Burris became a bona fide elite prospect, and the two have talked more and more about playing together. On the Texas side, they have a lot of options at his position. I’m not saying Jackson won’t end up in the class, but I think Texas A&M and Arkansas have become real threats.

— I’ve also gone "Foggy" on 2021 Katy Tompkins defensive end Tunmise Adeleye. Texas will get a hard look from him because of Jalen Milroe, but I think scheme and development will come into play here. Adeleye does not want to play in a three-man front, and I think a few other schools are standing out at the moment for him.

— I also went "Foggy" on Garland Lakeview Centennial running back Camar Wheaton. I’ve mentioned this before, but I think Wheaton was one of the prospects that was hurt most by Ra’Shaad Samples leaving Texas. While the Longhorns are still in it, I’ve been told a “totally unexpected” team is making a lot of progress in this recruitment. It could depend on the timeline, but the same source who told me about the unexpected team told me a few months ago that Wheaton was close to committing to the Longhorns.

9 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Roach on his CB changes

Reveal hidden contents

— A caring Aggie fan brought up my Crystal Ball predictions on Twitter today. In general, I’ve changed a lot of my stances on crystal ball strategy, and most of his gripe was with misses I had when I played a bit more reckless. Regardless, I thought now was a good time to update existing picks, and I figured Mike at Night would be a good companion piece to explain them.

— Tonight, I added a Texas pick for 2021 New Caney linebacker Derrick Harris Jr. The four-star prospect was really high on Texas before the offer, and after the offer, he told me that Texas held a slight edge over Texas A&M. Harris said he plans to wait until next summer, but I believe we could see him try to jump on while the 2021 momentum is hot.

— I went "Foggy" on 2021 Pleasant Grove defensive end Landon Jackson. There was a point in the fall and early spring where it looked like a foregone conclusion Jackson would land in the class, but dynamics changed on both sides. Jackson’s teammate Marcus Burris became a bona fide elite prospect, and the two have talked more and more about playing together. On the Texas side, they have a lot of options at his position. I’m not saying Jackson won’t end up in the class, but I think Texas A&M and Arkansas have become real threats.

— I’ve also gone "Foggy" on 2021 Katy Tompkins defensive end Tunmise Adeleye. Texas will get a hard look from him because of Jalen Milroe, but I think scheme and development will come into play here. Adeleye does not want to play in a three-man front, and I think a few other schools are standing out at the moment for him.

— I also went "Foggy" on Garland Lakeview Centennial running back Camar Wheaton. I’ve mentioned this before, but I think Wheaton was one of the prospects that was hurt most by Ra’Shaad Samples leaving Texas. While the Longhorns are still in it, I’ve been told a “totally unexpected” team is making a lot of progress in this recruitment. It could depend on the timeline, but the same source who told me about the unexpected team told me a few months ago that Wheaton was close to committing to the Longhorns.

nothing new here, but we need to get samples back on campus ASAP

1 hour ago, Chrispy_ said:

Yeah, he’s saying that Samples leaving really hurt with Wheaton and an “unexpected team” is making a push. Landon may want to be a package deal with Burris and Adeleye hates the three-man front. 

Camar Wheaton to Texas State.  $9.95, please.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, westexhorn said:

Do we still take Clayton if we take Harris?

No chance. We’re so stacked at LB for the next few years that we only have room for 1 in 2021. 

7 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Derrick Harris is getting a run of Texas picks on Rivals.  Spiegelman, Suchomel, and others.

Milroe said a LB would commit this weekend. Seems pretty obvious who he was talking about. 

2 hours ago, Chrispy_ said:

Apparently Bama has done a great job selling him on being a rush backer at the next level. 

L O fucking L. That guys has 0 chance of playing rush backer in any college defense. Even SEC defenses think he’s too big and slow for that. 

Hell, he won’t even be able to play 4-3 DE in college, unless he goes to aggy to play in their 4 DT base package. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

No chance. We’re so stacked at LB for the next few years that we only have room for 1 in 2021. 

Milroe said a LB would commit this weekend. Seems pretty obvious who he was talking about. 

L O fucking L. That guys has 0 chance of playing rush backer in any college defense. Even SEC defenses think he’s too big and slow for that. 

Hell, he won’t even be able to play 4-3 DE in college, unless he goes to aggy to play in their 4 DT base package. 

Saban could sell a ketchup popsicle to a woman in white gloves. Orlando on the other hand...

rob lowe Tommy Callahan GIF

7 hours ago, squeegeedegg said:

If Roach is saying anything subliminally, then SMU might be the unexpected team... But I'm probably reading into it too much

It’s Kansas. 

In the comments, Roach mentioned a connection with Emmett Jones, who is Kansas’ WR coach. Jones is originally from Dallas. 

I can’t wait until Herman can hire Beaty into a coaching position. Screw KU (on two fronts). 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

In spring he was playing NG for his high school team.  That's what we should be selling him on.  Being the next Ed Oliver.

• Like 1

Some disagree with me and think he's a b-backer all the way, but I think Harris can be off the ball (mac or rover). Obviously, if he gains 40 pounds between now and getting to campus, he's probably not off the ball, but I'm guessing that's where the staff has him right now. What do you guys think?

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/10178620/5bda127732dc420d18e689cf

21 minutes ago, Fud said:

Some disagree with me and think he's a b-backer all the way, but I think Harris can be off the ball (mac or rover). Obviously, if he gains 40 pounds between now and getting to campus, he's probably not off the ball, but I'm guessing that's where the staff has him right now. What do you guys think?

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/10178620/5bda127732dc420d18e689cf

Not sure what his measurables look like but he could be a terror with those long ass arms at Bbacker. Not sure he has the speed but his lankiness reminds me of Zach Cunningham from  vandy/texans

10 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Not sure what his measurables look like but he could be a terror with those long ass arms at Bbacker. Not sure he has the speed but his lankiness reminds me of Zach Cunningham from  vandy/texans

Well if he can stay off the ball, he's much more valuable to us. Especially since Clayton Smith is likely a b-backer. We'll see. 

1 hour ago, MuellerHorn said:

It’s Kansas. 

In the comments, Roach mentioned a connection with Emmett Jones, who is Kansas’ WR coach. Jones is originally from Dallas. 

I can’t wait until Herman can hire Beaty into a coaching position. Screw KU (on two fronts). 

He said that people have known about that connection though, so he doesn't think it's Kansas because it wouldn't be that unexpected.

Random tidbits from Nahlin:

Q: Are we still sitting pretty with Clayton Smith?

A: He's one it feels like they'll be able to build the class around. A week ago I felt really good on him, Bowman, Coffey, and Harris Jr. There doesn't appear to be a natural lean on DL aside maybe Jordon Thomas (need to get to know him better) but there are a lot of options even when not factoring for.... Milroe.

Q: I like hearing that a lot.. I asked because I saw tfb have it as

Arkansas 40%
Texas 20%
Oklahoma 20%
A&M 20%

So of course had to come over here and get some actual insight

A: For Clayton??? I'm not buying that at all especially when you account for schematic fit. He's Justin's guy, one that I wanted, but when I saw him at junior day I got the UT feels big time. Normally when I get those it's a wrap if they push.

Q: Would you give a percentage on Adeleye or at least how you think his top three shakes out

A: It's going to be a wild ride but I think at the end of the day he'll end up in the class. He's Princely to a degree but UT will be on the rise and he'll want to play with his boys. He's not a slam dunk because of fit and some other things we've covered but I have a good read on that kid. 70% but I'm going to hold on tight through the ups and downs. There will be times when he looks like a lock to go elsewhere and vice versa. Just going to have to ride all of that out.

Q: How do you feel about the Pleasant grove duo? Are we safely in the top 3 for both? Do we lead for either?

A:  I don't think Texas lands either of those guys but those recruitments will be interesting enough to pay a lot of attention to. Look how Landon wants to be an OLB. Ha ha, okay bro. He's delusional about his fit and that doesn't help UT. Burris is a nose long-term but he's bouncy enough to sell at d-end. UT has a good pitch there but they still have to overcome the SEC schools.

Q: By SEC do you mean A&M or will Bama/ LSU be the real threat

A: A&M and SEC for Landon, SEC for Burris. Maybe A&M there too but I'm not sure. UT will be in it just not sure they can win it and don't want people expecting it. I think Landon really likes UT, I'm just not sure they can overcome fit.

Q: Who is the main competition for Wheaton?

A: Do you ever ask any easy questions? Tough one. That's the single recruitment that hurt UT the most when Samples left for SMU. I'm not sure Texas is going to have all the information it needs to win that one. Not ruling them out at all but losing Samples hurt. It's probably a Texas vs the field recruitment. You'll take UT versus any individual team but still take the field. I need to figure out a way to go into greater detail. I'm not saying he's like Zach at all, but there are some similarities to their recruitments unfortunately.

10 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Still think the most likely DL as of today is Thomas, Turner, and Sanders.  Not sure how everyone would feel about that.  Adding Adeleye to that would give it a big boost.

Sanders has to want to play defense, and he needs to project to DE (as opposed to BLB).

A: Do you ever ask any easy questions? Tough one. That's the single recruitment that hurt UT the most when Samples left for SMU. I'm not sure Texas is going to have all the information it needs to win that one. Not ruling them out at all but losing Samples hurt. It's probably a Texas vs the field recruitment. You'll take UT versus any individual team but still take the field. I need to figure out a way to go into greater detail. I'm not saying he's like Zach at all, but there are some similarities to their recruitments unfortunately. 

source.gif

5 hours ago, MuellerHorn said:

It’s Kansas. 

I wish we'd hire Emmett. He'd replace Samples as our lock on southern Dallas. 

54 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Still think the most likely DL as of today is Thomas, Turner, and Sanders.  Not sure how everyone would feel about that.  Adding Adeleye to that would give it a big boost.

I don’t think all our DL takes are clear at this point. We’ll need to wait longer to ID the right guys. 

10 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

If we’re going to hire a WR coach, why wouldn’t we just poach Samples back from SMU at the end of the season?

47 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

The DE coach at SMU? He has no experience so it is kind of a reach. I think it is someone we should keep an eye on, though. Maybe by the end of winter we will have enough data to offer.

10 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Yeah, the guy I thought he was referencing is Randall Joyner who was at tOSU as a grad assistant and is now DL coach at SMU.

He is supposedly a high energy coach and is from Carrollton and went to Newman Smith and played linebacker at a high level at SMU.

Edited by Bevo
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

So Luke Brockermeyer enrolled in June 2018. Does anybody know the specifics about the earliest we can put him on scholarship and avoid putting him on the counter? Could we do it after the 2019 season ends or is it two years after he enrolls?

Spring 2020.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bam Bam Sam said:

70% on Tunmise? He must know something other reporters don't. That's the highest chance for him to Texas I've seen yet.

He thinks Milroe and Conner, and potentially Foster, give Texas an advantage for Tunmise