Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

6 minutes ago, Chef Bezos said:

Can Barryn Sorrell play or is he just another guy who we were his best offer?

Probably a bit of both. He's got 10+ minutes of HUDL highlights from only 7 games, so you can get a pretty good feel for him. He was a TE as a Soph so he's still relatively new to defense. He's a violent striker, that much is clear. This staff has taken a lot of heat for a lot of things, most justified, but they identify jumbo athletes incredibly well. 

HUDL ::

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/9712684/5f7a2796f31c850accd24dde

25 minutes ago, Chef Bezos said:

Can Barryn Sorrell play or is he just another guy who we were his best offer?

This was Eric Nahlin's initial report on him. He's projected to DT.

Barryn Sorrell, DT, Holy Cross (New Orleans)

At first glance, the 6-foot-3, 250-pound three-star from NOLA is a versatile prospect, as he plays defensive tackle and tight end for Holy Cross. The former Northwestern pledge in the 2021 class has some nice tape and upside on the defensive interior. Texas joined 20 other schools in extending an offer recently, including Arizona State, Missouri, Washington State, Baylor, and Boston College. In a Covid pandemic season, he's just excited to be playing ball.

“Obviously it's been different," said Sorrell. "But it's been good and I'm just happy we are playing right now. I'm looking forward to this week going against Brother Martin, who is undefeated right now. It'll be a good test for us." As far as recruiting goes, Sorrell has the attention of a number of P5 programs. “I hear from Texas, Vanderbilt, Tulane, Memphis, and Kansas," said Sorrell. "I'm interested in UT a lot. I think Texas is a great football program and yes I'm open to a self-guide virtual visit.” A Zoom meeting with Oscar Giles and Mark Hagen is in the works as the Horns try to find a contingency in the case Desoto's Shemar Turner goes elsewhere.

59 minutes ago, golfclap said:

No idea honestly. I guess if we look back to guys that Texas has targeted recently and/or talked to pretty consistently through the process. If I say Alton McCaskill can I speak it into existence?  ::

Ikechukwu Iwunnah
David Abiara (ughhh) 
Erick Cade
Keithron Lee

extra no idea list ::
Byron Young the JUCO OLB/WDE - did he sign anywhere yet? 
Quay Davis? No idea what the hell to even think here. 

I'd say with the insane numbers that have hit the portal in just the past 8-10 days that you'll likely see guys from there. 

did anything else come out about Abiara other than ND found out about his arrest when it got out?

1 minute ago, NoName said:

did anything else come out about Abiara other than ND found out about his arrest when it got out?

No idea. I honestly never understood any interest in Abiara so I never bothered to follow it up. IMHO had the most meh film you could imagine for a guy that is bigger/faster/stronger than his competition.

• Hook 'Em 1

Jeff Howe: Signing day for Tom Herman about Texas' class, not his future

Since suffering a 23-20 loss to Iowa State on Nov. 27, the status of Texas head coach Tom Herman retaining his job beyond the 2020 season has felt tenuous at best. Following a public flirtation by Longhorn power brokers with three-time national champion Urban Meyer to replace Herman on the Forty Acres and a clear-as-mud statement of support from athletic director Chris Del Conte, Herman’s press conference on National Signing Day was expected to include him addressing those situations along with a recently-unearthed rumor that he pitched himself to South Carolina athletic director Ray Tanner as the replacement for Will Muschamp as the head coach of the Gamecocks.

However, Herman addressed none of those topics Wednesday. When asked for his opinion of Del Conte’s statement early in the press conference, Herman set the tone for a session he said more than once wasn’t about him but rather a class of 19 signees (18 high school prospects and one graduate transfer) headlined by Denton Ryan five-star athlete Ja'Tavion Sanders that's ranked No. 17 nationally by 247Sports.

“This day is about recruits, so my opinion really is irrelevant,” Herman said. “I feel very confident and glad and thankful that Chris did what he did, but at the end of the day, today is about those recruits.” When asked how tough the chatter has been to deal with personally, Herman said it hasn’t been that difficult. “I love our team,” Herman said. “I love my family and they keep me going every day. Every day. Again, I appreciate the question, but today is not about me. This is about this great signing class that we have, it's about our team and these young men that are getting ready to join this family.”

Texas (6-3, 5-3 Big 12) was supposed to face Kansas (0-9, 0-8) last Saturday in the regular-season finale. The game was initially supposed to be played Nov. 21 and was pushed back to Dec. 12 due to COVID-19 issues in Lawrence, but it was ultimately canceled due to the Longhorns being forced to pause team activities with nine players and 13 staff members in isolation following positive COVID-19 tests with an additional 14 players and 15 staff members in quarantine due to contact tracing.

Del Conte took the day without a game to release his statement, which brought about polarizing responses from the burnt orange faithful. Instead of watching Texas attempt to pick up a seventh win as a four-touchdown favorite before heading into bowl season, Longhorn fans had to decipher Del Conte’s words and exactly what they meant regarding Herman’s future. "There's been a lot of speculation about the future of our football coach," Del Conte said. "My policy is to wait until the end of the season before evaluating and commenting on our program and coaches. With the end of the regular season, I want to reiterate that Tom Herman is our coach.

"When I look at our football program right now, I see tremendous young men and promising talent. Our student-athletes are developing, and they play their hearts out. This has been an unprecedented year for all of us, and we're all disappointed that we didn't meet our expectations. Like the many fans that follow and support our program, I can't help but think what could have been in 2020. There's still more work to be done, but I'm excited to watch our players and program move forward."

In an effort to clarify his statement, Del Conte told Horns247's Chip Brown on two different occasions in the aftermath of the statement going public that he meant Herman would be the head coach of the Longhorns heading into 2021. The confusion about the statement added to a situation where Herman's tenure appeared to be on shaky ground, to say the least.

Following a 69-31 win over Kansas State on Dec. 5 in what turned out to be the final game of the regular season, Herman pushed his record on the Forty Acres to 31-18 with his fourth season drawing to a close. Texas is ranked No. 20 in the College Football Playoff rankings and No. 21 in the Associated Press Top 25, but the loss to Iowa State eliminating the Longhorns from contention for a berth in this weekend’s Big 12 title game on top of October losses to TCU (33-31 on Oct. 3) and Oklahoma (53-45 in quadruple overtime on Oct. 10) and the controversy surrounding Herman’s reported handling of postgame playing of “The Eyes of Texas” cast serious doubt as to whether or not he would get a fifth season on the job.

With the courting of Meyer front and center in recent weeks, Herman acknowledged at one point that the rumors were making it difficult for the staff on the recruiting trail. Although he didn’t get deep into what Del Conte’s statement meant to him, Herman once again acknowledged tough conversations took place between the Texas coaches and the recruits who signed with the Longhorns on Wednesday.

“We did have to have some hard conversations with them about what the truth really was,” Herman said. “The good thing was that they trusted us, they trusted our administration and we signed a heck of a class because of it.”

This is a Hell of a Recruiting Class.... for TCU. Worried about us going back to the Wild. LOL. We never left. We did have take the loss Pussy and Georgia.                           

This is the fucking worst to be Stuck with this clown for another year. Next year, tell CDC and Tom Terrific dont let the door hit you in the ass.

Just now, Elmer_Fudd said:

This class will be in its 3rd year in the program when we play @ Alabama.  Now go look at that class and look at what we'll be going up against as upper classmen.

whoa i had forgotten that you guys are playing Bama in a few years. good luck with THAT...!

11 hours ago, ChampionshipLevelPiss said:

If you've been watching the same dumpster fire that I have for the last four months and you really can't understand why a top 20 recruit wants nothing to do with us then I really don't know what to tell you

Nah fuck them!! They’re legacy kids. UT made their father and they turned their back on the program that put food in their mouths. UT was a dumpster fire when Sam committed but he’s not a bitch so... fuck them!!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

This class will be in its 3rd year in the program when we play @ Alabama.  Now go look at that class and look at what we'll be going up against as upper classmen.

I saw where Bama has #1 recruiting class today, with 6 5* players.  tOSU had 5 5* players.  Now ya know why Saban is such a great coach.  Much rather “coach up” a 5* than a 3*.  I know there are exceptions, but....well, I’ll take the best ranked player at his position every day of the week.  TH has a lot of coaching up to do.

3 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

I saw where Bama has #1 recruiting class today, with 6 5* players.  tOSU had 5 5* players.  Now ya know why Saban is such a great coach.  Much rather “coach up” a 5* than a 3*.  I know there are exceptions, but....well, I’ll take the best ranked player at his position every day of the week.  TH has a lot of coaching up to do.

4 WR class, the lowest is #68 overall. Yeah they're doing ok.

3 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Damn those turds got 5 of the top 32 from Texas. WTF!

53 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

Nah fuck them!! They’re legacy kids. UT made their father and they turned their back on the program that put food in their mouths. UT was a dumpster fire when Sam committed but he’s not a bitch so... fuck them!!

I bet you looked exactly like your pfp when you were typing this out

TBH, I'm amazed at the stickiness of the class and that it didn't see more defections, despite Tom Herman's team not living up to expectations and the program having leadership and direction issues played out in the media for all to see.

Other programs would have cratered far deeper.  You guys still end up with a class comfortably ranked in the top 20 and featuring one 5-star and many 4-stars, all of whom had other options but chose to sign with UT. That's an endorsement of the program, the logo, if not the current head coach.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

No shit, man. It’s a transition class. This is what happens. 

This is not a transition class.  A transition class is when a head coach gets fired and recruits decommit because they don't have relationships with a new coach.  This class was heading in this direction this summer when Tom Herman didn't even begin the year with his new coaching staff.  This class is the result of having a shitty coach.  Recruits DON'T want to play for Tom Herman.   

Look at that list, look at the guys that committed elsewhere before the season even started.  The 2022 class will look even worse if Herman is left in charge.  CDC should be fucking kicked to the curb for letting Herman stay on past last year.  We were trending in the right direction building our roster depth and now we have an exodus of players and no one wants to fucking come play here, not even our own fucking legacy players.  We've done a 180 and our roster is a bunch of JAGs that wouldn't sniff the bench at Bama, tOSU, Clemon outside of maybe 8-10 players.  The next coach is going to need an influx of transfers and is going to need to build relationships with the 2022 class very quickly.  Having 2 shitty classes stacked on each other is a recipe for another decade of losing and wandering in mediocrity.  

Edited by victory88
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

12 minutes ago, victory88 said:

This is not a transition class.  A transition class is when a head coach gets fired and recruits decommit because they don't have relationships with a new coach.  This class was heading in this direction this summer when Tom Herman didn't even begin the year with his new coaching staff.  This class is the result of having a shitty coach.  Recruits DON'T want to play for Tom Herman.   

Look at that list, look at the guys that committed elsewhere before the season even started.  The 2022 class will look even worse if Herman is left in charge.  CDC should be fucking kicked to the curb for letting Herman stay on past last year.  We were trending in the right direction building our roster depth and now we have an exodus of players and no one wants to fucking come play here, not even our own fucking legacy players.  We've done a 180 and our roster is a bunch of JAGs that wouldn't sniff the bench at Bama, tOSU, Clemon outside of maybe 8-10 players.  The next coach is going to need an influx of transfers and is going to need to build relationships with the 2022 class very quickly.  Having 2 shitty classes stacked on each other is a recipe for another decade of losing and wandering in mediocrity.  

Herman isn't going to be the coach next year.  This is the transition class.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Let this sink in to each and everyone of you. Fuck Tom Herman and fuck CDC. Only 3 players in the top 40 in the state of Texas. Who knows about LJ Johnson.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.b2e3b180f19f5082df8fda6d28a8c4e4.png

image.thumb.png.c6570939731a418099f77c195b5619e0.png

image.thumb.png.1c767fe00e08139bb35daea0442135ce.png

image.thumb.png.103272e5fcc4add39a8218c1a4ed2ef4.png

the regulars posting here in the recruiting thread are aware of this - but folks who haven't been here much may not be. either way there are ton of h2h misses on this list.

12 minutes ago, victory88 said:

A lot of this is (obviously) on Tom, but if you don't think the months of "oh he's definitely getting fired" followed by a press release that was basically "he'll still be an employee on January 1st. Maybe. We kind of hate him." had a badly negative effect down the homestretch, I don't know what to tell you.

• Hook 'Em 2

45 minutes ago, victory88 said:

You’re just wrong. Recruits and players know he won’t be back. This is absolutely a transition class. 

• Hook 'Em 1