Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

14 minutes ago, CenTex Hill Billy said:

Myslinkski is underrated because of his size. His dad is former NFL and he's a work out fiend. Plus he's a trained stick fighter.

yeah I don’t want to lose that kid.  he’s fucking mean on the field and will lift weights like a madman.  I think he’ll be pretty good. 

• Fuck You 1

(Gerry Hamilton) IT Recruiting Matters: Yes, no or maybe

IT Recruiting Matters: Yes, no or maybe

Early signing period for the class of 2021 begins December 16 and runs through December 18. For Texas commitments and top targets, it’s extremely difficult to fully assess where recruitments and the decision making process could be a week from today with the uncertainty in Austin. What is known is where the momentum sides in a number of recruitments, if they concluded today. With just two weeks to go until signing day, IT takes a look at the 2021 class possibilities among the uncommitted top targets and potential offers.

Yes:

Keithron Lee, WR/ATH, Rudder High
Texas has been quickly building a relationship with the 5-foot-11 playmaker with long arms and terrific short area quickness. The Texas offer remains the needle mover with TCU, Ole Miss, Texas Tech and Tennessee in the mix. An offer from Texas A&M could be a recruitment changer. Lee is planning to sign in February.

No. And no for now:

IT continues to be asked about the Brockermeyer’s under the right scenario. The answer remains a no. James Brockermeyer recently suffered a season ending injury, and the help and support from Nick Saban and staff at Alabama only strengthen the families belief that they made a great decision. The Brock’s are set to enroll at Alabama in January.

Remington Strickland, C/G, Fort Bend Christian
Texas recently offered, but so did Oklahoma and Texas A&M. As of today, the Longhorns are behind the Sooners and Aggies. Strickland made a student visit to Norman November 21 and Texas A&M last weekend.

Andrew Mukubs, S, Austin LBJ
The Clemson commit has remained in contact with the staff since giving his verbal to the Tigers. This is a no, for now.

Savion Byrd, OT, Duncanville
While Byrd has continued to stay in touch with Texas and show interest in the Longhorns throughout the season, this one isn’t happening for now. With a December 16 commitment and signing day just two weeks away, SMU is sitting in a pretty good spot with Oklahoma and Auburn still in the mix.

Shemar Turner, DE/T, DeSoto
Texas A&M is trending big for one of the nations premier defensive line prospects. The family has always wanted Turner to stay in-state, and that remains the case. Texas continues to have communication with Turner, as does Alabama. Turner has gone back and forth on whether he would sign in December of February, but the timeline is moving towards December 16 which is not good for Texas.

Maybe:

L.J. Johnson, RB, Cy Fair
Despite Texas not having a great season on the field, the Longhorns have remained very much in the picture with the states top running back prospect. Texas A&M has been in a position to pounce, but the Aggies picking up a commitment from Miami Central running back Amari Daniels slowed the momentum. Oklahoma and LSU also remain in the mix.

Gharin Stansbury, DE/OLB, Franklin (LA)
The Arizona State verbal has been in contact with the staff consistently since the Longhorns offered November 7. As IT has mentioned since the offer, older brother and former Texas A&M and Houston defensive end Gavin Stansbury likes the idea of his brother playing and graduating from Texas.

J.J,. Henry, WR, McKinney North
Henry released a top 8 of Arkansas, Florida State, Louisville, Ole Miss, SMU, TCU, Texas and Texas A&M November 22, but IT continues to be told Ole Miss and Texas have the best shot barring a major change. The numbers put up in Oxford by Elijah Moore has Henry’s full attention, and the Rebels have never wavered in their recruitment of Henry. Andre Coleman has done a quality job for the Longhorns. Henry plans to sign in December.

An offer could make a difference:

Marvin Covington, CB, Lake Ridge
TCU, Baylor, Miami, Mississippi State and Houston are among the senior season offers with the Longhorns keeping tabs. The 10.8 100-meter speedster plans to sign in February.

Je’lin Samuels, DE, Sam Rayburn
SMU defensive line coach Randall Joyner did a greta job getting Samuels to commit before things truly heated up for the 6-foot-6, 225-pound senior riser. Arkansas, Ole Miss, Baylor and Tennessee have offered since Samuels verbal. Texas and Texas A&M remain offer possibilities. Samuels plans to sign in December.

Austin Uke, OT/G, Parish Episcopal
Herb Hand had a Zoom call with Uke two weeks ago, but has yet to offer the 6-foot-3.25 T/G with an 80-inch wingspan. Stanford and USC top offers from SMU, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Penn State, Maryland, Virginia Tech and Houston right now.

Ahmonte Watkins, RB/ATH, Klein Forest
The 10.6 speedster has Texas A&M, Louisville, Texas Tech and Mississippi State among the top schools on his list. The desire to play running back is the holdup to offering for some schools, including Texas. Watkins currently plans to sign in December.

Garfield Lawrence, DE/T, Tyler Legacy
The East Texas senior has impressed on the field this year. The 6-foot-4, 250-pounder committed to Kansas Monday over offers from Arkansas, Kansas State and others. Texas defensive ends coach Oscar Giles has been keeping tabs on Lawrence for a long time.

Ezra Oyetade, C/G, Lakeview Centennial
The Arizona State verbal is still deciding if he will sign in December or February. Holding off until February would be good news for the Longhorns, potentially.

J. Michael Sturdivant, WR, Flower Mound Marcus
One person close to the California verbal said Texas is one school that he could see the 6-foot-2, 185-pounder cause for pause should the Longhorns offer.

Mike Roach: Texas commits asking questions about future

With uncertainty surrounding the future of the Texas program, it's only natural that players committed to the class want to explore their options and gain some clarity. I've been checking around with several members of the class and sources near them to find out where things stand as of now and what they are hearing from the staff. To start, it doesn't sound like anyone in the class is trying to do anything hasty at the moment. There are a few players who planned to sign during the early period but want to know who their coach might be in the future.

These players are attempting to look at a few backup plans, but this recruiting cycle is proving to be more difficult than any other. For one, the lack of in-person visits makes it tough for recruits to feel a real familiarity with anyone. Several sources I spoke with indicated that recruits aren't eager to jump from one situation of uncertainty to another. On the other side, with many of these prospects being committed for so long, and schools trying to retain some sort of flexibility for the impending one-time transfer rule, there aren't a ton of opportunities.

Time is also running short as the early signing period starts exactly two weeks from today. As of now, prospects communicating with the Texas staff are being told that everything is ok and the current staff is expected to return next year. It's to be expected that the current staff will want to show a strong and united front regardless of the situation, and many assistants would continue to work hard in preparation for their next job if a change were to come.

At the end of last year's cycle, assistants Tim Beck, Craig Naivar and Jason Washington all worked tenaciously to keep the class together and present a strong front despite the fact they knew their return wasn't likely. One source I spoke with indicated that while the words they were hearing from the staff promoted stability, they got the sense there was a feeling of impending doom and inevitability.

It wouldn't surprise me to see a small number of prospects really explore their situation, and one or two could even decommit to do so. However, as of now, there is nothing imminent that we are monitoring.

• Hook 'Em 1

When TH is publicly let go, we get more decommitments immediately or will they wait to see who gets hired next? Tight window and all.
If Urbs is announced shortly after I wouldnt be surprised if all commits stick, even those who seem to be onboard due to position coach relationships. The best part is the possibility of regaining some we lost, or even those who never seriously considered Texas before..

He has time to really work Ewers but yeah a call or a public offer would be a good first step.  As far as the 21 class.. how many of the offensive players will be hot commodities to flip elsewhere?  I think most stick.  Now the defensive side is still pretty strong.. So I do hope Ash/Hutzler and Valai are retained.. even OG.  Then Urban can get his first big win with Turner since he won't announce til February. Hell there may be a lot of players waiting to sign til February.
Normally I'm against retaining coordinators/position coaches when theres a HC change, but these guys havent been here long and really didnt get to fully do their thing because of the rona season. If Urbs thinks these guys have what he's looking for, I'm not mad at the idea.

5 hours ago, ousux said:
On 11/30/2020 at 2:51 PM, Thiefery said:
He has time to really work Ewers but yeah a call or a public offer would be a good first step.  As far as the 21 class.. how many of the offensive players will be hot commodities to flip elsewhere?  I think most stick.  Now the defensive side is still pretty strong.. So I do hope Ash/Hutzler and Valai are retained.. even OG.  Then Urban can get his first big win with Turner since he won't announce til February. Hell there may be a lot of players waiting to sign til February.

Normally I'm against retaining coordinators/position coaches when theres a HC change, but these guys havent been here long and really didnt get to fully do their thing because of the rona season. If Urbs thinks these guys have what he's looking for, I'm not mad at the idea.

Ash worked under Urban for two years, including winning a national championship, and Urban has spoken glowingly of him. No idea if Urban wants to go get someone else but it's easy to see, between that relationship and Texas's defensive performance and recruiting this year (defensive recruiting has been pretty good given the circumstances around the program), why Urban would retain him. 

I've been avoiding the recruiting board since the wheels started to fall off on the season so this may have been discussed, but if Christmas comes early and Urban is officially hired on Sunday what is he looking at as far as salvaging a passable transition class? Not specific names so much as general process.

Early signing on 12/18 so that's obviously not too much time, but can he hit the ground running and call/offer anyone or will there be dead period restrictions? Assuming his staff wouldn't totally be in place for a few weeks would he have a temporary recruiting support staff he could use like when we put BC on the road last year? I guess that's another good reason to keep a few existing coaches around. Oh, and how long does it take to onboard your bagman?

It all feels like such a tight window that 2020 class is pretty fucked regardless. We'd still probably clean up in the transfer portal though.