Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Damn, Conner is vocal.

JFC. Those numbers at the end took me back to Higdon’s lottery numbers in the 2016 class. 

1 hour ago, Yesh said:

So we are going to get like 15 of the top 30 players in Texas in 2021?

We always are a year and a half out from signing day.

31 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

Anybody know if we're recruiting this kid? He's the #2 TE in the country according to 247 but I haven't heard about any contact from us. 

https://247sports.com/Player/Dametrious-Crownover-46079297/

He’s also #1 in the country for best name in the 2021 class.

1 hour ago, Yesh said:

So we are going to get like 15 of the top 30 players in Texas in 2021?

As long as aggy doesn’t “barely lose” against Clemson again this year.  Those aggy moral victories kill us on the recruiting trail...especially when we “barely beat” teams like UGA and OU. 

10 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Let’s make him our Quarterback!

/

5bf6c868a7915.image.jpg?resize=400,264

In retrospect, this jackass was gifted VY by some stubborn assistants, but how in God's name he lucked into walking ass-backwards to sign Colt McCoy is a mystery. I get how he lucked into not signing Ryan Perrilloux, but don't for one microsecond try to convince me Mack did a proper evaluation on Colt McCoy. No, he got flat assed lucky.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

In retrospect, this jackass was gifted VY by some stubborn assistants, but how in God's name he lucked into walking ass-backwards to sign Colt McCoy is a mystery. I get how he lucked into not signing Ryan Perrilloux, but don't for one microsecond try to convince me Mack did a proper evaluation on Colt McCoy. No, he got flat assed lucky.

He was a fine evaluator. For a while. Dude just didn't know when to quit.

7 hours ago, texifornia said:

He was a fine evaluator. For a while. Dude just didn't know when to quit.

3 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Fundamentally disagree. I think its obvious to anyone with half a brain and at least one functioning eyeball that Mack Brown had zero problems quitting. 

giphy.gif

7 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

He’s a good player, and I really hope we pursue him. I think we would put him on the DL. @Chili dog knows a bit about him. 

Re: Crownover:

Honestly, he could end up at OT, which would explain our lack of pursuit.

He’s a legit 6’7”, and extremely athletic. His dad was a DT at Baylor in the 80s, but is not pushing him to any school. He has other athletes in his family. His older brother plays at West Point. He comes from a VERY HIGH CHARACTER family, and would be a perfect culture fit. I’d love to take him, but it’s probably tough to project his final position. There’s also a chance he could outgrow football, like Feathertree. His grandfather was 7’ tall. He loves football, though, and that’s what he wants to play. 

Hes still a little raw. You can watch him in the state title game. He had a huge sack and he caught the winning TD. 

Edited by Chili dog
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Chili dog said:

Re: Crownover:

Honestly, he could end up at OT, which would explain our lack of pursuit.

He’s a legit 6’7”, and extremely athletic. His dad was a DT at Baylor in the 80s, but is not pushing him to any school. He has other athletes in his family. His older brother plays at West Point. He comes from a VERY HIGH CHARACTER family, and would be a perfect culture fit. I’d love to take him, but it’s probably tough to project his final position. There’s also a chance he could outgrow football, like Feathertree. His grandfather was 7’ tall. He loves football, though, and that’s what he wants to play. 

Hes still a little raw. You can watch him in the state title game. He had a huge sack and he caught the winning TD. 

Link?

3 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

He’s going to finish up his tour of splendor with a visit to a leper colony and then 3 days of voluntary incarceration at an ICE facility. 

I know, I know times are changing, It's time we all reach out for something new, That means you too

IT

By: @Justin Wells 

Lakeview Centennial's Camar Wheaton and Alvin Shadow Creek's Xavion Alford made appearances in Austin over the weekend. Wheaton, the top 2021 running back, is a quiet kid who doesn't tip his hand. Getting him back on campus after the dead period was a priority for the Texas staff. Wheaton continues to hold UT in the highest regard, and I believe the Horns still look good here, but losing Ra'Shaad Samples - one of Wheaton's main contacts - to SMU doesn't necessarily help Texas. At the end of the day, I don't feel like it'll hurt them either. After flirting with a summer decision, it appears he'll take more time in his recruitment, which he should. A nice season from Keaontay Ingram could go a long way in this pursuit.

By: @josephcook

2021 Dallas Kimball CB ISHMAEL IBRAHEEM

The corner from Kimball made his way from College Station to Austin on Friday following an A&M visit and was able to experience UT for the first time.

"I wanted to come in and tour the school and meet all the coaches," Ibraheem said Friday. "What I want in a school is I want to have a tight connection with all the coaching staff and players. I want to have a brotherhood that feels like home."

One of the people responsible for convincing Ibraheem that Texas is home is corners coach Jason Washington. Ibraheem was able to spend a lot of time being coached by Washington at the camp.

"He's a really cool dude," Ibraheem said. "He's funny, too. He seems like he's really interested in me. He's always around. He wants to know my family and everything like that. That's good."

Ibraheem received his Texas offer in June in between the commitments of Ja'Quinden Jackson and Quaydarius Davis.

Ibraheem said he is close to several of the players targeted to be part of Texas' #DallastoAustin efforts, and sees the effort Texas is putting forth to get to the top.

"Right now, they're trying to build something to win a national championship," Ibraheem said. "They're trying to get all the guys."

When asked where Texas stood in his recruitment, Ibraheem said they would be in his top 10. He mentioned he wants there to be a group of quality players in his class so he knows "we can create something."

Ibraheem plans to return for a game this fall.

Newest commit, JUAN DAVIS

The Everman ATH joined Texas' 2021 class without a ton of fanfare. He was open to the media about his fondness of Texas even before he committed on Friday.

Davis isn't much for the recruiting process, but it was easy to tell he was excited to become a Longhorn not only from his commitment message but from the smile on his face after Stars at Night.

The staff told Davis he compares to Lil'Jordan Humphrey, which along with the attention he's received from the staff, was a big part of his decision to commit.

He may not be much for recruiting, but he recognizes the talent in the class he's joining. "I just feel like we can be great, all of us together," he said Friday.

There's still more than a year until he signs, but he's ready for when that day comes and he steps foot on the Forty Acres.

"I'm very excited myself," Davis said. "I can't wait to get here."

36 minutes ago, Chili dog said:

Badass Billy Bowman is a freak. 

That highlight vid was just jaw-dropping.  It's absurd to see a sophomore score that many defensive and special team TDs at that level of competition.  

The kid is just a flat-out football player.