Golden Corral, Pancho's and Other Low-Brow Eateries of Your Youth

On 11/19/2021 at 7:37 PM, slorch said:

There is still a Bennigans in Borger.  I have the 1/2 Monte Cristo and the French Onion soup every 3-4 months or so.  It's still weird AF to me.  You made it in Borger and Monahans, but not the rest of the world?

Also: From way back in the early/ mid 80's Duffs... claimed to be a high end buffet.  As a kid I fucking loved it.  Obviously everyone else did not.

Shakey's Pizza buffet.  50th St in Lubbock.  Crushed this like mofo as a high schooler.  My favorite ever was with the offensive line on our football team, and we hit that place one night after 2-a-days.  They ran out of food( or quit bringing more out.)  Lol.

If you guys loved Shakey's, y'all were some desperate, ill raised mother fuckers.

On 11/21/2021 at 12:32 PM, Mo Horn said:

Growing up our fancy celebration place was Magic Time Machine. Always a mystery what character the waitperson would be. 

Hadn't thought of that place in decades, but yep, same here. Graduation,prom, whatever, that was the place to go.

9 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

A big group of us guys and our dates all had the Roman Orgy there together before our Senior Prom.  Sadly, the chicks didn't take the hint.

I went to a knockoff Benihana (lowbrow but it seemed high brow) with my junior prom date and a group.  She missed the flying shrimp and after it hit her face, it plunged into her décolletage. Much yelling ensues, I was not allowed to fish it out. 

• Haha 1

On 11/22/2021 at 12:55 PM, Jive Turkey said:

we had so many birthday parties at Farrell's Ice Cream Parlour back in the day.

9yv7ecjuym751.jpg

6134_146393150375_5160832_n.jpg

and there used to be a Mexican restaurant chain called Monterey House that we hit up when i was young.  that was a big deal.

Monterrey+House+box.jpg

Always ordered the Monterey Special from Monterey House, it was huge, like 3 plates of food.

48 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

If you guys loved Shakey's, y'all were some desperate, ill raised mother fuckers.

High school,  cheap, and buffet?  Fuck yeah we loved  it.

Edited by slorch

On 11/30/2021 at 12:14 PM, Nueces River Rat said:

Uggghh, Abel's was an overrated piece of shit.  I remember as a kid going there for Thanksgiving dinner.  My dad had heard from someone that they really cooked a great Thanksgiving meal and decided to take the family there so mom could enjoy a Thanksgiving and not have to prep and cook for two days. The most horrible, over priced food I had ever run across.  Did I mention over priced?

3 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I went to a knockoff Benihana (lowbrow but it seemed high brow) with my junior prom date and a group.  She missed the flying shrimp and after it hit her face, it plunged into her décolletage. Much yelling ensues, I was not allowed to fish it out. 

We ate at Fonda San Miguel before prom. Pretty flashy. I didn't bother the tell my date our waitress was my neighbor and she hooked me up on the price. 

• Hook 'Em 1

In the 70’s we had an 18 drinking age meaning we could drink at 16. Shakeys near my high school in Memphis didnt card anyone. On Tuesday nights they had $1 pitchers. They had a buffet that they allowed a table to eat at without checking for payment. Pizza sucked but the cheap cold Schlitz was great.

1 hour ago, Texzilla58 said:

In the 70’s we had an 18 drinking age meaning we could drink at 16. Shakeys near my high school in Memphis didnt card anyone. On Tuesday nights they had $1 pitchers. They had a buffet that they allowed a table to eat at without checking for payment. Pizza sucked but the cheap cold Schlitz was great.

Yep loved growing up in the 70's, buying beer and liquor at 16, but damn their pizza was horrible.  It was the first pizza I had ever eaten, and it was so bad I never tried pizza again for probably 8 years.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Yep loved growing up in the 70's, buying beer and liquor at 16, but damn their pizza was horrible.  It was the first pizza I had ever eaten, and it was so bad I never tried pizza again for probably 8 years.

A couple of us 15-16 y/o HS guys made friends with a certain Pizza Inn waitress who wouldn't card us when we ordered beer and wine.  Pizza wasn't great, but underage beer and wine was the best!

• Hook 'Em 1

A couple of us 15-16 y/o HS guys made friends with a certain Pizza Inn waitress who wouldn't card us when we ordered beer and wine.  Pizza wasn't great, but underage beer and wine was the best!

Our normal beer joint was Pizza Inn. They were open til 3am on weekends, had cheap pitchers, didn’t card, and the pizza was excellent, far better than Shakeys. We had a great mom and pop pizza joint that had loose ID issues but they closed at 10. The Pizza Hut carded everyone.
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/19/2021 at 7:37 PM, slorch said:

There is still a Bennigans in Borger.  I have the 1/2 Monte Cristo and the French Onion soup every 3-4 months or so.  It's still weird AF to me.  You made it in Borger and Monahans, but not the rest of the world?

Also: From way back in the early/ mid 80's Duffs... claimed to be a high end buffet.  As a kid I fucking loved it.  Obviously everyone else did not.

Shakey's Pizza buffet.  50th St in Lubbock.  Crushed this like mofo as a high schooler.  My favorite ever was with the offensive line on our football team, and we hit that place one night after 2-a-days.  They ran out of food( or quit bringing more out.)  Lol.

I opened this thread to see if Shakey's was a thing in the south.  We would crush that place in high school as well.  I always loved the fried chicken and mojo potatoes too.

This thread already a has every eatery from my childhood in north Austin in the late 70's to mid 80's.  Scampi's Organ Pizza with that cymbal-banging monkey, Monterrey House on Burnet with those badass crumbly candies after the meal (That candy is called Leche Quemada, it's my favorite candy of all time, not to be confused that that nasty praline bar soft shit that looks like it.  Last place I found it was a hole in the wall Mexican Joint called Noyola's in Humble), Pizza Inn, Showbiz Pizza, The Stallion.  My dad bought a booth from The Stallion when they shut down and it was in our kitchen the rest of my childhood.    

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

My dad bought a booth from The Stallion when they shut down and it was in our kitchen the rest of my childhood.    

I will always love The Stallion, but I'm not sure I'd have wanted one of those booths in my house. Maybe after a good disinfection and a bug bomb. 

27 minutes ago, RPM said:

I was impressed to find a Shakey's when I got to Seattle in '78. Right next to the Edgewater Inn.

I had always assumed it was a Midwest thing (I'd only ever seen them in Minnesota and Iowa) until the South Park episode where Cartman finds a truck load of aborted fetuses and the stem cells are placed next to a Shakey's and they replicate the Shakey's.

4 hours ago, Your Mom said:

This thread already a has every eatery from my childhood in north Austin in the late 70's to mid 80's.  Scampi's Organ Pizza with that cymbal-banging monkey, Monterrey House on Burnet with those badass crumbly candies after the meal (That candy is called Leche Quemada, it's my favorite candy of all time, not to be confused that that nasty praline bar soft shit that looks like it.  Last place I found it was a hole in the wall Mexican Joint called Noyola's in Humble), Pizza Inn, Showbiz Pizza, The Stallion.  My dad bought a booth from The Stallion when they shut down and it was in our kitchen the rest of my childhood.    

There are recipes for the leche quemada - it isn't "quite" the same but close.

https://www.tfrecipes.com/monterey-house-candy-copycat/

https://www.justapinch.com/recipes/dessert/candy/mexican-candy-leche-quemada.html

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Thanks!  I had a Mexican girlfriend for a while who got a recipe from her grandmother and made it a few times.  But she was high and to the right on the matrix so eventually my desire to not get stabbed eclipsed my love of that candy.  

10 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I opened this thread to see if Shakey's was a thing in the south.  We would crush that place in high school as well.  I always loved the fried chicken and mojo potatoes too.

I lived in west Texas as a kid and there were definitely some Shakey’s I’m happy to hear their fried chicken get some love, shit was amazing. 

I had always assumed it was a Midwest thing (I'd only ever seen them in Minnesota and Iowa) until the South Park episode where Cartman finds a truck load of aborted fetuses and the stem cells are placed next to a Shakey's and they replicate the Shakey's.

I used to frequent the one in Calumet City, IL just south of Chicago. Probably averaged about 50 popcorn shrimp in addition to the pizza and everything else.

• 1 month later...
46 minutes ago, RPM said:

AVvXsEi3vE9pw0CjgcEVXh1dnTMbdpHTB2ypvTGV

Must be a big deal in WF....  Get's top of the fold coverage vs the fire and murder sentence.  

But damn the rolls....    The chicken  along with their chicken fried steaks were pretty good too.  I recall from my youth it was actually a chicken place that gave you more of a traditional sit down feel vs fast food like KFC and Church's.   Looking at their website the closest one is in Victoria and then they are scattered around North Texas and the DFW area...   Hopefully they are back in expansion mode and will show up further south in more numbers.

5 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Must be a big deal in WF....  Get's top of the fold coverage vs the fire and murder sentence.  

But damn the rolls....    The chicken  along with their chicken fried steaks were pretty good too.  I recall from my youth it was actually a chicken place that gave you more of a traditional sit down feel vs fast food like KFC and Church's.   Looking at their website the closest one is in Victoria and then they are scattered around North Texas and the DFW area...   Hopefully they are back in expansion mode and will show up further south in more numbers.

two steak biscuits, two gravys, one extra biscuit and cinnamon roll !!!

• Hook 'Em 1