Golden Corral, Pancho's and Other Low-Brow Eateries of Your Youth

7 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

In my advanced analytics of my gut I have

Chicken Express > Bush's > Golden Chick

CHIEF Jr. will go to the Golden Chick, in Granbury, they sell their "Lotta Zing" spice in a shaker container. He will then walk next door to Chicken Express to buy gizzards. He says their "Serendipity" spice is too salty. We have a couple of shakers of "Lotta Zing" in the truck to use on the gizzards we pick up in Graham or Seymour at Chicken E, and then sprinkle them with Golden Chick spice. I have to say, he is correct on this combo.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 2

Living in Wise County severely limited your options in the 80's-90's but there was always the Alvord Truck Stop. Open 24/7 and had kick ass mexican food. They also had a bar in the back that was hopping. Live band or DJ on the weekends. We'd hit that place and tear up some fajitas and enchiladas. The secret off the menu was the fajita nachos. Had a full order of fajita meat and cost a lot less. Left more money for beer. Sometime around 2000 a corporation bought the place and thought it was a bad idea to have a bar in a truckstop. Cocksuckers.

• Hook 'Em 2

As a child growing up in Beaumont in the 80's/90's a trip to Parkdale Mall wasn't complete without a visit to Piccadilly. Fried fish, mac and cheese and fried okra. It's a wonder I wasn't a fat little turd.

From some googling, it appears to have closed down for good in 2008, which is honestly shocking to me that it was still open that recently. 

There was also a Po' Folks near our first house. God knows how many times my parents took us their since kids under 10 ate free, but I was so young back then I don't really remember anything about the food.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, RPM said:

Living in Wise County severely limited your options in the 80's-90's but there was always the Alvord Truck Stop. Open 24/7 and had kick ass mexican food. They also had a bar in the back that was hopping. Live band or DJ on the weekends. We'd hit that place and tear up some fajitas and enchiladas. The secret off the menu was the fajita nachos. Had a full order of fajita meat and cost a lot less. Left more money for beer. Sometime around 2000 a corporation bought the place and thought it was a bad idea to have a bar in a truckstop. Cocksuckers.

/csb

On 12/2/2021 at 11:14 AM, CHIEF said:

CHIEF Jr. will go to the Golden Chick, in Granbury, they sell their "Lotta Zing" spice in a shaker container. He will then walk next door to Chicken Express to buy gizzards. He says their "Serendipity" spice is too salty. We have a couple of shakers of "Lotta Zing" in the truck to use on the gizzards we pick up in Graham or Seymour at Chicken E, and then sprinkle them with Golden Chick spice. I have to say, he is correct on this combo.

CHIEF

We will be watching his career with great interest. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

I should really do an estimated count. I lived blocks away for all 4 years of undergrad. I ate there a LOT.

Throw together a count on t-man’s as well.   You’re a little older, but I’m pretty sure my running average would put me in first place for my years in west campus.

• Like 1

Just now, Brisketexan said:

Dude….I took girls to Berts on DATES. Cuz classy is how I rolled.

You might pass me up if you were getting double points for dates.  Tom has always treated me well, but I got the impression that Gary didn’t like me anymore after I told our soon to be governor Rick Perry to go fuck himself while I was eating lunch and trying to study for a final and didn’t feel like being harassed by a politician. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

You might pass me up if you were getting double points for dates.  Tom has always treated me well, but I got the impression that Gary didn’t like me anymore after I told our soon to be governor Rick Perry to go fuck himself while I was eating lunch and trying to study for a final and didn’t feel like being harassed by a politician. 

Pos rep for telling the aggy to f o.

• Hook 'Em 2

Driving by the other day I was amazed to see that Bert's on Far West is still open.

Not only is it open, they have some items on the menu at the new burger place next door.

On the rare occasion my wife and I stop in there for lunch, every time she looks around and says “this is such a guy place.”

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

On the rare occasion my wife and I stop in there for lunch, every time she looks around and says “this is such a guy place.”

I'm sure this is on the endangered species list along with the whooping cranes.

Just had a flashback to a place in west Fort Worth, or maybe west of FW, called Vance Godby's? It was like an elevated cafeteria, but with a carving station. Used to go there a few times a year in the late 70s, early 80s. I think they were mainly in the catering biz 

20 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

Was he trying to flirt/grope you?  He gave me the heebie jeebies a few times when I worked at the capitol complex. 

3 minutes ago, hookemATL said:

Was he trying to flirt/grope you?  He gave me the heebie jeebies a few times when I worked at the capitol complex. 

No, but he insisted upon himself.  I’m not good looking enough, but I do know someone who would corroborate that.  I was just annoyed and told him to go away.

12 hours ago, zlavydra said:

Just had a flashback to a place in west Fort Worth, or maybe west of FW, called Vance Godby's? It was like an elevated cafeteria, but with a carving station. Used to go there a few times a year in the late 70s, early 80s. I think they were mainly in the catering biz 

Vance Godbey's Smorgasbord. They catered most of the school banquets when I was a kid.