Golden Corral, Pancho's and Other Low-Brow Eateries of Your Youth

Bonanza not getting enough love on this thread.  Sirloin Stockade is going strong in Mexico.  Golden Corral > Ryans which can die in a fire.  I tried a Pancho's, in 2019, in north Houston after 20 years and it was terrible, just awful.  It to should die in a fire.  Why one of the burger or chicken places didn't scoop up Grandy's and do a mix is beyond me.    If Taco Bell can mix and sell LJSilvers.  Surely Sonic can mix and sell Grandy's.  

Edited by RollLeft

Just now, Jive Turkey said:

we had so many birthday parties at Farrell's Ice Cream Parlour back in the day.

9yv7ecjuym751.jpg

and there used to be a Mexican restaurant chain called Monterey House that we hit up when i was young.  that was a big deal.

Monterrey+House+box.jpg

Fuck yeah, Monterey House was the OG cheap tex-mex in Houston.  I loved it as a kid.

Farrell's, however......f that place.  My mom heard about other kids having birthdays there.  So she took me there to check it out, I was about to turn 4.  I get my ice cream, am sitting at the table eating it, when all of the sudden, this goddamned loud brass band comes roaring out of the back (for someone else's birthday).  Scared the blue fuck outta me.  I dive under the table and hide until those fuckers left.

We did my birthday at the park with a cake and a pinata.

• Hook 'Em 1

51 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Fuck yeah, Monterey House was the OG cheap tex-mex in Houston.  I loved it as a kid.

Farrell's, however......f that place.  My mom heard about other kids having birthdays there.  So she took me there to check it out, I was about to turn 4.  I get my ice cream, am sitting at the table eating it, when all of the sudden, this goddamned loud brass band comes roaring out of the back (for someone else's birthday).  Scared the blue fuck outta me.  I dive under the table and hide until those fuckers left.

We did my birthday at the park with a cake and a pinata.

#csb Monterrey House bros went bankrupt because  they were overly invested in oil tankers during a mid 80’s oil plunge. So the story goes 

Edited by tx 3 putt

2 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

we had so many birthday parties at Farrell's Ice Cream Parlour back in the day.

9yv7ecjuym751.jpg

6134_146393150375_5160832_n.jpg

and there used to be a Mexican restaurant chain called Monterey House that we hit up when i was young.  that was a big deal.

Monterrey+House+box.jpg

I loved Farrel's. As a kid I used to get the pig's trough and finished it off easily. 

Mr. Gatti's used to be great back in the 80s. They had their own thing going with their crust and stuff, and when they had buffet style they did it right, good selections with some interesting toppings but not a lot of goofy bullshit.

Somebody opened a Gatti's here a couple of years ago and it was similar in name only. It was total crap, nothing like the original style. 

I keep the carbs low so nowdays I only eat pizza if somebody brings one in and it's there. Then I only eat the toppings and leave the crust, so it's really not too bad.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

There's a K-Bobs in Calallen. There was never a reason consider eating there until Joe Cotten's burned down. I tried it, the salet was fine.  

Damn, I miss Cotten's though. BBQ served up in Robstown on butcher by a waiter with a bow tie and a maroon jacket, a dipping sauce almost like salsa but mixed with brisket drippings. Glorious. 

One of Joe’s Grandsons opened up his own place a few blocks down from K Bobs in Calallen.   Waiters wear the same outfits and in fact a few were waiters in Robstown before it burned down.   I always like the cheese and crackers they bring out for appetizer.  

Edited by Nueces River Rat
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

This is correct.  I thought Mr Gattis had a pan pizza that was lights our better than Pizza Huts. 

Yep, only ever got their pan pizza. Their regular crust was pretty bad.

15 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

I always thought part of the Gatti’s appeal for young men was that they cut the slices so small that you could brag about eating 38 pieces of pizza when you actually ate about 10.

They did slice them a little smaller but made it easier to get the right ranch to pizza proportion.

They did slice them a little smaller but made it easier to get the right ranch to pizza proportion.

Gatti’s on Parmer Lane circa 1988 was the very first time I was offered ranch as a side to my pizza. I declined as it sounded gross. This Chicago boy was perplexed. Still not a fan of ranch on pizza. Neg me bitches.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

When our boys were young we were really financially strapped. Sunday for 10 for 10 at Taco Bell was our big outing. Luckily, at the time they had no idea how broke we were and thought we were living high on the hog.

Were those the years that they had items for 59 and 79 cents?

Edited by RollLeft

12 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

A friend had his wedding rehearsal dinner at the K-Bob's in Lufkin, apparently the nicest place in town 40 years ago. (We were allowed to bring our own wine, so we had that going for us -- which is nice.)

Even though it’s closed, it’s still the nicest place in town. 

• Haha 1

On 11/21/2021 at 11:55 PM, Catjuggler said:

Kips Big Boy

I was on a first name basis for their breakfast buffet on University Drive in FW.  It was endorsed by heart surgeons throughout DFW but after a night of being over served adult beverages, nothing like the biscuits and gravy to absorb all of that alcohol so that I could repeat the next day.

10 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

When our boys were young we were really financially strapped. Sunday for 10 for 10 at Taco Bell was our big outing. Luckily, at the time they had no idea how broke we were and thought we were living high on the hog.

While in pharmacy school at The University, our Saturday date night was 2 Burrito Supreme(s) at 99 cents each and split a medium Dr Pepper.  If I had picked up a few ManPower hours that week, I’d add a Pintos’n’Cheese (79 cents?).  We knew how broke we were.  What a long strange trip it’s been.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Horn Draoi said:

While in pharmacy school at The University, our Saturday date night was 2 Burrito Supreme(s) at 99 cents each and split a medium Dr Pepper.  If I had picked up a few ManPower hours that week, I’d add a Pintos’n’Cheese (79 cents?).  We knew how broke we were.  What a long strange trip it’s been.

Funny how most of the stories in this thread take me back to the brokest, simplest, and often best times of my life. More money…more problems.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Casa Ole should probably be on this list. It was the "upscale" Tex Mex restaurant you only went to when you were at the mall. It was a change of pace from the usual Luby's or Wyatt's. 

I guess Chelsea Street Pub should be on the list too. The kind of place David Wooderson would hang out in once he hit 35 and had married one of those high school girls.

Edited by CooterBrown

12 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Red Line  Burgers had a $5.00 for two burgers, two fries and two drinks.   I’d finish it all myself. 

Red Line Burgers still exists.  They have a location in Portland on Wildcat out near the Gregory city line.  Near one of the entrances to the GCCV facility.  They claim no affiliation with the food truck in Corpus that uses the name.

https://redlineburgers.com/faq/

There was a place near (or at) Westwood Mall in SW Hou that had red phones at the tables so you could call another table and “strike up a conversation.”   During the daytime, though, it was just another restaurant of the period - too dark, smoky and a little seedy (see Steak N Ale, Pizza Hut, etc.)

What was that place called?  My friends and I would wander from table to table and call each other.  

24 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Casa Ole should probably be on this list. It was the "upscale" Tex Mex restaurant you only went to when you were at the mall. It was a change of pace from the usual Luby's or Wyatt's. 

I guess Chelsea Street Pub should be on the list too. The kind of place David Wooderson would hang out in once he hit 35 and had married one of those high school girls.

1 - Casa Ole sucked.  Of the "cheap sit-down tex-mex places found in malls," El Chico was superior.

2 - last time I was in a Chelsea Street Pub was 20+ years ago.  We hit the one in Lakeline with some friends to grab some beers and nachos before going to see a movie.  But it turned out it was karaoke night, and that shit was a BIG deal.  We ended up ditching the movie, and just sitting at our table drinking all night and laughing our asses off and letting our jaws drop at the numerous VERY serious musical performances people put on.

And yeah.....lotta good memories of meals eaten when my family, and later I as an adult, were broke as shit.  I love me some Michelin Star type stuff, but goddamit.....cheap eats can make me happy.  Hell, my family today will talk about one of the best meals we've eaten in years -- this February, after the power came back on, and our house was warm again.  After living pretty sparse with no power, being cold, and not focusing on meals much, we went to Taco Cabana, and picked up a to-go pack with fresh beef soft tacos and chips and queso.  We sat down at our table in our warm house, knowing we had a warm place to sleep, and ate dinner, and it was glorious.  And set me back maybe $20 for three of us.

• Hook 'Em 1

Speaking of mall eats, the Valle Vista Mall in Harlingen (now its almost dead) had the very best mall pizza I have ever eaten and definitely well above average for any pizza. It was your standard big mall slice, and I have no doubts that the ingredients all came from the same place as most big pie-by-the-slice places. But it was just...better. 

The crust was always, always crispy on the outside, a bit chewy inside, and never soggy. Charred in spots and nearly always one of those blackened crust blisters. You could see pieces of tomatoes in the sauce, which was not sugared or sweet like so many places. Always the right, generous amount of cheese. It was legit good pizza. The operator was a burly, mustachioed guy with a clear foreign accent, hard to place or what he was doing in the valley. 

Most weekdays when I was a lifeguard, we'd all meet three days a week for city aquatics staff meetings at one pool and then disburse to the others across town for afternoon shifts. Most of the staff would hit the centrally located mall for lunch and I have no idea how many lunches consisted of two pepperoni slices and a fountain coke at $5.36. 

I love places like that, actual good food where you usually find a wasteland. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I always thought Gumby's Pizza was solid, and I say this having actually eating it a few times while sober.  Certainly better than Ci-Ci's.

I’m ok with any establishment willing to deliver me a pizza at 2 a.m. that will let me pay with a floated check.

Ok most glorious AYCE experience for me all time.  New Year's Eve 1995.  Me and 3 fraternity brothers down in New Orleans for the Ron McElvey Sugar Bowl.  We had gone out on Bourbon the night before.  None of us were exactly high wealth fraternity types...in fact we were just 4 broke dick college students.  While we really enjoyed the bead experience (and the VT girls with V painted on one tit and T on the other) we didn't enjoy the prices we were having to pay to procure beads.  We had rented a car to drive over from Austin so we decided to drive up to the Garden District to see if anything cheaper could be found.  Run across an Eckerds and needed to get some other shit like water (obviously really hung over) Well well well, what is Eckerds selling for dirt cheap clearance prices.....Christmas tree garland.  Which with a little bit of inspiration, elbow grease and a small outlay for some scissors and a hot glue gun became necks full of beads.  

So we walk out of there feeling pretty good about our plan but still feeling pretty shitty and hungover from the night before.  Drive out of that parking lot and down the street to find somewhere to eat. A few blocks down, almost like a mirage is a Popeyes with a sign that says "All You Can Eat $12.99".  I don't need to tell you what is great about Popeyes and I'm not sure if that was just a one off thing at that location or something they used to do (never found another one like it) But man if that wasn't the most glorious experience, not only dousing the flames of hang grenades, Big Ass Beers and hurricanes from the night before in glorious chicken, biscuits, red beans and rice but laying down a firm base for the even longer night to come.  I look back on that almost like a spiritual experience.

Oh and the beads worked out well...I met my wife that night.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Ok most glorious AYCE experience for me all time.  New Year's Eve 1995.  Me and 3 fraternity brothers down in New Orleans for the Ron McElvey Sugar Bowl.  We had gone out on Bourbon the night before.  None of us were exactly high wealth fraternity types...in fact we were just 4 broke dick college students.  While we really enjoyed the bead experience (and the VT girls with V painted on one tit and T on the other) we didn't enjoy the prices we were having to pay to procure beads.  We had rented a car to drive over from Austin so we decided to drive up to the Garden District to see if anything cheaper could be found.  Run across an Eckerds and needed to get some other shit like water (obviously really hung over) Well well well, what is Eckerds selling for dirt cheap clearance prices.....Christmas tree garland.  Which with a little bit of inspiration, elbow grease and a small outlay for some scissors and a hot glue gun became necks full of beads.  

So we walk out of there feeling pretty good about our plan but still feeling pretty shitty and hungover from the night before.  Drive out of that parking lot and down the street to find somewhere to eat. A few blocks down, almost like a mirage is a Popeyes with a sign that says "All You Can Eat $12.99".  I don't need to tell you what is great about Popeyes and I'm not sure if that was just a one off thing at that location or something they used to do (never found another one like it) But man if that wasn't the most glorious experience, not only dousing the flames of hang grenades, Big Ass Beers and hurricanes from the night before in glorious chicken, biscuits, red beans and rice but laying down a firm base for the even longer night to come.  I look back on that almost like a spiritual experience.

I went down for mardi gras the year before.  Met up with a friend who went to Tulane and crashed at his place.  His roommate went to Sam's Club and bought a huge back of some next level beads.  One around the neck, and about 15 of those things shoved in our coat pockets.  Negotiations went something like, "I don't know, this is my last set of these."  Then, after the offer is accepted and the parties move on, out comes an identical set of beads to the neck.  Rinse.  Repeat.

20 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

That is a cool story, bro.  I enjoyed it.  I have often heard of this mythical Popeyes.  You are one lucky bastard.

38 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Does Furr’s still exist? I can’t find an open location. 

I always thought of it as a nicer Golden Corral. 

There used to be one on South Lamar close to Ben White, but I think that closed a while ago.  I've never set foot in one, but I always thought the opposite - that it was a shittier Golden Corral.  Jim's seems the same way, but also have never been there.

8 minutes ago, South Austin said:

There used to be one on South Lamar close to Ben White, but I think that closed a while ago.  I've never set foot in one, but I always thought the opposite - that it was a shittier Golden Corral.  Jim's seems the same way, but also have never been there.

I should downvote you for speaking against Jim’s. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Furrs was a pretty damn good facsimile of Luby’s for the Panhandle/West Texas/Hobbs area. It did turn into a shitty buffet style towards the end.

Jims is awesome and miles ahead of Golden Corral, it’s also not a buffet. 

• Like 1