As a TEXAS fan and the current situation, what do we do?

US183

16 hours ago, gmr548 said:

I took the dog for a late morning walk to enjoy the pleasant weather before the weather reverts to Houston swampass, took a suit to the tailor, had lunch with my fiancee, and turned on the game at home when I saw it was a one score game in the 4th, knowing Texas was very likely to find a way to lose.

What are we do to? Other things, mostly, and lower expectations when you do watch. This program hasn't been worth more than that after the OU game for all but one or two seasons since I got to campus in 2010, and isn't going to be for the foreseeable future.

Interesting take. “..after ou for all but one or two…”.   Sounds about right. I looked it up. Since 2000, Texas only 7 wins. This suckage began with 63-14. In 2000. THAT is something to correct. Permanently. Hook em! 

Screw college football. If you live in Texas, you can take advantage of the incredibly fun high school football playoffs going on right now. From six-man to 6A, you can watch amazing finishes or follow inspiring underdog stories as Davids battle Goliaths.

Check out the Texas HS football thread. Folks like @Helobious, @Beau Vine, @slorch, @Herbie Hancock and more provide great updates, stories, players and games to watch. Beau Vine’s preview posts are insanely comprehensive and he follows up with results. The games are shorter, and as I’ve been saying for years, a lot of the coaching is better than what currently takes place on the Forty Acres. Plus, with so many champions crowned, you won’t have to wait another 30 years for a championship. Check it out and support your local HS teams. 

Edited by TreatyOak
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, TreatyOak said:

Plus, with so many champions crowned, you won’t have to wait another 30 years for a championship. Check it out and support your local HS teams. 

Your mileage may vary depending on where you’re from. But at this rate we may very well see an RGV state champion before Texas wins another national title. 

• Hook 'Em 1

for those rooting for an empty stadium for national tv next week, just curious why?
Baylor was 2-7 last year.  Should they have been rooting for an empty stadium for their last game?
I get being frustrated and pissed off but how does it help the program?
Baylor is Baylor, bad comparison. I'm not one of the ones hoping for an empty stadium, but it would be a form of protest. Pointless protest, but still..

On 11/19/2021 at 11:09 AM, burdine said:

Be prepared to enforce accountability for the staff when they have upper classmen of their own that showcase the coaching and development that has or has not occurred.

Sorry for taking so long to respond, but I keep coming back to reread this BBA sentence, trying to make sense of it. 

It can’t get any worse. I’m no Sark pumper, but the last time we played Kansas (2019) we barely won 48-50 with a Dicker FG. Our team had Sam Ehlinger, Devin Duvernay, Collin Johnson, Brandon Jones, Sam Cosmi and Joseph Ossai. So to lose 57-56 with this pile of shit roster has to be an improvement. 

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Sorry for taking so long to respond, but I keep coming back to reread this BBA sentence, trying to make sense of it. 

All good.

How about this:  Let's not make written in stone judgement of this staff until we see what a team of their upper classmen looks like.

If lack of development has been an issue, does all that get fixed with the last guys players in one off season?  I'm happy to hold off firm judgement and support the team until then.

I understand others can have different opinions.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, ousux said:
On 11/20/2021 at 7:31 PM, burdine said:
for those rooting for an empty stadium for national tv next week, just curious why?
Baylor was 2-7 last year.  Should they have been rooting for an empty stadium for their last game?
I get being frustrated and pissed off but how does it help the program?

Baylor is Baylor, bad comparison. I'm not one of the ones hoping for an empty stadium, but it would be a form of protest. Pointless protest, but still..

Folks wonder why we are cursed, is it possible that because we are Texas we can't look to Baylor to see what works.

Baylor went from 2-7 last year to top ten this year.  A bad year does not have to be a Doom sentence.

It's a red flag there are problems for sure.  But not something that cannot be overcome.

Folks wonder why we are cursed, is it possible that because we are Texas we can't look to Baylor to see what works.
Baylor went from 2-7 last year to top ten this year.  A bad year does not have to be a Doom sentence.
It's a red flag there are problems for sure.  But not something that cannot be overcome.

When your lines are bad, you are bad. When your lines are good, you can be good or bad. We have the first problem. They had the second problem.

1 minute ago, Nivek said:

When your lines are bad, you are bad. When your lines are good, you can be good or bad. We have the first problem. They had the second problem.

• they had a first year head coach
  • they had lost a ton of production to graduation the year before
  • they had problems on the side of the ball that was not the head coach's specialty
  • they had a terrible win loss record

Would you rather inherit Matt Rhule's players or Tom Herman's?  Who is working with more?  I don't think it's clear.

I guess my main point is that a bad win loss record in a first year head coach just doesn't tell you very much IMO and I think Baylor the last two years is a reasonable example of why I think that.

On 11/21/2021 at 9:03 AM, HornsOverIthaca said:

Unless you are Austin High, and the last playoff game win occurred during the Eisenhower administration.

I honestly have no idea how this is even possible. You would think just by the law of averages, they would have accumulated enough good players and coaching to have won ONE playoff game.  

I feel like I’m at the precipice here. I could be one of those Texas Exes that travels all the time and doesn’t even know who we’re playing on Saturday or a die hard season ticket holder. 

I really won’t give a shit about the program until we have a SEC start date. A lame duck year in the Big 12 would set the rebuild back yet again. 

I think Bellmont, the Tower, and the boosters have no f***ing idea on how to build a competitive football program in the current environment. The SEC move should shake things up. Texas will either sink even deeper or swim. 

6 hours ago, Da Fino said:

Austin High? Demographics.

Actually, considering demographics, Austin High should be good. You get a great combo of wealthy families whose kids have time to hire private coaches plus some lower income families that produce outstanding athletes. Lots of schools w similar demographics do just fine.

8 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I think Bellmont, the Tower, and the boosters have no f***ing idea on how to build a competitive football program in the current environment. The SEC move should shake things up. Texas will either sink even deeper or swim. 

I think you have something here.  Iron sharpens iron.  In this version of the Big 12, we could "Be Texas" and expect to compete.

The Athletic Dept could say we were competing effectively.

We will have to raise our game as a whole organization to compete with what are really more peers, large State schools that care about football, or we will get crushed.

I think you have something here.  Iron sharpens iron.  In this version of the Big 12, we could "Be Texas" and expect to compete.
The Athletic Dept could say we were competing effectively.
We will have to raise our game as a whole organization to compete with what are really more peers, large State schools that care about football, or we will get crushed.

This is silly. Being in a new conference isn’t going to magically fix shit. The B12 is competitive enough year in and year and the bottom feeders of every conference would be bottom feeders in every other conference.

Iron sharpens iron is wrong, iron dulls iron.

We do seem to have systemic problems in the AD, and our ability to pick football coaches seems kind of shitty, given our recent track record. But the AD could make the job easier for future coaches to get a better shot by having an independent scout with a demonstrated ability to pick linemen and stop chasing stars.