2022 Texas Coaching/Support Staff Thread

RaysBoomBoomRoom

10 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

OU has a way to make things work with coordinators but this is very meh. Somebody like Kiffin, Napier, and Fickell would have scared me much more than this. 

I agree with this, unless OU allows Venables/Lebby to use the bag game that Clemson/Ole Miss have employed.

No way OU'd ever take Kiffin. I'm actually surprised Lebby is accepted.

3 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Yeah - I would have definitely pushed for Fickell once ND was no longer an option for him.  But how long do you wait now that Cindy is likely in the playoff?

I agree with this too, but do you think Fickell would come to OU? I'm not sure he'd really consider it based on his current situation and with Cincy going to the Big12.

2 minutes ago, quigley said:

I agree with this too, but do you think Fickell would come to OU? I'm not sure he'd really consider it based on his current situation and with Cincy going to the Big12.

Also I wonder if Joe C is worried about Fickell long term. I would imagine he has concerns Fickell bolts the second Ohio State comes open since Day is being rumored for the Bears job. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I agree with this, unless OU allows Venables/Lebby to use the bag game that Clemson/Ole Miss have employed.
No way OU'd ever take Kiffin. I'm actually surprised Lebby is accepted.

OU is like us with the bag game right? Don’t see how they wouldn’t let Riley and all of a sudden Venables.

3 minutes ago, utexas8 said:

OU is like us with the bag game right? Don’t see how they wouldn’t let Riley and all of a sudden Venables.

Yes, I think similar -- both OU and UT play at the edges, like Michigan, ND. None of these schools throw around the big numbers like SEC + Oregon + Ohio St + Clemson (? others). At OU, you see evidence of this by the Sooners either having players committed or strong leans and then one of the bag schools that doesn't have a prior relationship with the player swooping in late. There are many examples over the last few classes.

I think UT's investment into NIL will start to separate the Horns from OU. I don't think Oklahoma has the resources or the temperament to make that sort of play. Riley was annoyed with OU's compliance department's vigilance. NIL will make the chasm between OU and the other schools bigger. 

The OU administration will likely be hiring coaches who are coming from schools that play the bag game (Lanning-UGa, Venables-Clemson, Lebby-Ole Miss). The AD/president know this. The new hires know the landscape nationally and at OU. If the parties acknowledge these factors and want to win at OU, I think there may be some loosening of the rules in Norman.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

The guy they ran off at one point is the guy they are hiring to replace Riley? I’ll take it. 

Acknowledging a mistake and trying to correct it is a skill, not a weakness.

BTW, not everyone was frustrated with Venables and wanted Mike Stoops when that went down.

I, for one, felt it was a mistake. Venable's last few defenses at OU were still really good when looking at fancy stats (top 10). They'd gotten torched a few times by NFL-level QB and WR but everyone in the Big12 was subjected to that during that era. During Venables last few years at OU, the DL coach, Shipp, had basically stopped recruiting. Shipp needed to be replaced, but that was more on Stoops than Venables. Safety play was worse, but again, Stoops was hiring his cronies at that time.

Venables has shown he can coach LB at an elite level. He's shown he can recruit at an elite level when he has a bag game to support him. Can he run a program? We're going to find out.

41 minutes ago, quigley said:

BTW, not everyone was frustrated with Venables and wanted Mike Stoops when that went down.

I, for one, felt it was a mistake. Venable's last few defenses at OU were still really good when looking at fancy stats (top 10). They'd gotten torched a few times by NFL-level QB and WR but everyone in the Big12 was subjected to that during that era. During Venables last few years at OU, the DL coach, Shipp, had basically stopped recruiting. Shipp needed to be replaced, but that was more on Stoops than Venables. Safety play was worse, but again, Stoops was hiring his cronies at that time.

Venables has shown he can coach LB at an elite level. He's shown he can recruit at an elite level when he has a bag game to support him. Can he run a program? We're going to find out.

Anyone outside Oklahoma saw it was a mistake. Then Venables went on to have great success. It’s clear he’s getting a great deal otherwise he wouldn’t come back. 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, dcar00 said:

actually I posted on March 31st in the UT's next basketball coach thread that "its gonna be Beard".  close to humping was right behind me saying "beard is in allegedly".

same guy.

Don’t ever explain or apologize to this mob. Hook’em!

1 hour ago, quigley said:

The OU administration will likely be hiring coaches who are coming from schools that play the bag game (Lanning-UGa, Venables-Clemson, Lebby-Ole Miss). The AD/president know this. The new hires know the landscape nationally and at OU. If the parties acknowledge these factors and want to win at OU, I think there may be some loosening of the rules in Norman.

Sounds eerily similar to shit we said when we hired Sark. Very accurate!

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, quigley said:

Yeah I remember blOU folks had mixed feelings about Venables departure...

Wasn't Mike Stoops a better recruiter at that time than Venables?

13 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Yeah I remember blOU folks had mixed feelings about Venables departure...

Wasn't Mike Stoops a better recruiter at that time than Venables?

I wasn't one of those. Mike coming back after a meh-at-best tenure at Arizona looked terrible to me. Who, other than his brother, would've hired him over Venables?

55 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Venables got axed because Bob wouldn't fire his brother.

Nothing about this is right.

Mike was fired at Arizona. Mike was brought back to be CO-DC with Venables, again. But everyone knew Venables would leave in that situation.

Venables fielding top defenses without Mike for 7 years + Mike fielding worse defense in a worse conference was enough to know that this was a bad trade.

1 hour ago, honolulu horn said:

If we get Patterson in any capacity and ou winds up with Venables, we come out far ahead. I'll take that 10 times out of 10. 

Apples to oranges.

We'll learn whether Venables can lead a program as a head coach. He's proven he can be a DC.

We'll learn whether Patterson can subjugate his ego to be a DC after being a head coach for decades.

17 minutes ago, quigley said:

Apples to oranges.

We'll learn whether Venables can lead a program as a head coach. He's proven he can be a DC.

We'll learn whether Patterson can subjugate his ego to be a DC after being a head coach for decades.

I don't think anyone believes Patterson will be the DC.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

First time on this site?  Thats all these mouth-breathers have been screaming for since it became known Texas was interested in his services.  And any title he gets today is just a 'cover' until after NSD when they announce his new position.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

5 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

First time on this site?  Thats all these mouth-breathers have been screaming for since it became known Texas was interested in his services.  And any title he gets today is just a 'cover' until after NSD when they announce his new position.

Yeah, my bad. I was listening to your comrades discuss Patterson becoming DC or de facto DC.

Regardless, you'll have a 60 year old guy in the building who's well known to be a control freak as head coach now having to keep his emotions and opinions in check. No problems there.

3 minutes ago, quigley said:

Yeah, my bad. I was listening to your comrades discuss Patterson becoming DC or de facto DC.

Regardless, you'll have a 60 year old guy in the building who's well known to be a control freak as head coach now having to keep his emotions and opinions in check. No problems there.

eh, I doubt it.  if he's some type of special assistant that can help PK not be a dumbass I think he'll be fine.  He had Kill doing something similar so he knows how it works.

7 minutes ago, quigley said:

Meh, Saban manages. Coaching rehab: analyst -> interim or full time coordinator -> HC job 

Probably betting on PK getting canned and getting elevated midseason 

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

eh, I doubt it.  if he's some type of special assistant that can help PK not be a dumbass I think he'll be fine.  He had Kill doing something similar so he knows how it works.

Would you agree that it's different putting someone else in a subordinate role versus you, yourself, taking a subordinate role?

Here's a thought. If we end up getting GP on board to be some kind of defensive advisor, why not bring in Donte Williams as the official CB coach to be an ace recruiter? I think the issue with Donte is that we need a coach more than a recruiter, but if GP can cover the coaching part, bring on Donte.

3 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Here's a thought. If we end up getting GP on board to be some kind of defensive advisor, why not bring in Donte Williams as the official CB coach to be an ace recruiter? I think the issue with Donte is that we need a coach more than a recruiter, but if GP can cover the coaching part, bring on Donte.

Donte's coming to Norman as DC

(please please please please please please please)

Edited by quigley

2 hours ago, quigley said:

Mike was fired at Arizona. Mike was brought back to be CO-DC with Venables, again. But everyone knew Venables would leave in that situation.

Venables fielding top defenses without Mike for 7 years + Mike fielding worse defense in a worse conference was enough to know that this was a bad trade.

I thought Venables was fired for being balls deep in a fuck scandal involving K State co-eds or some such.

Edited by cafe society

2 minutes ago, cafe society said:

I thought Venables was fired for being balls deep in a fuck scandal involving K State co-eds or some such.

Not while he was at OU.

There's always been this buzz about him having some skeletons in the closet, but I don't know specifics.

9 minutes ago, cafe society said:

My BIL went to K-State same time Venables did.  Asked him several years ago why he's never been a HC and he alluded to this being the reason/rumor why.  

5 minutes ago, cafe society said:

A couple of sources near the OU program says Matt Campbell was brought in to interview and was offered and he turned it down.

So he was interested enough to interview, then turned it down because...? Also have a hard time seeing that stay private.

5 minutes ago, RabidM said:

I have a hard time believing the Campbell rumors... he supposedly turned down USC and OU?  What the fuck type of job could he be waiting for?  I don't  believe he's really turning these types of jobs down. 

It sounds like Campbell was the main choice and would have accepted up until Riley became really available to them and then they pivoted as fast as they could

2 hours ago, quigley said:

Wait, you think the Big 12 was/is worse than the ACC?

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Wait, you think the Big 12 was/is worse than the ACC?

Read it again.

I was comparing Venables time as sole DC at OU (2004 - 2011) to Mike Stoops time as head coach at Arizona (2004-2011).

The Big12 during that time was far stronger than the Pac10 (pre-Utah and Colorado). The Pac10 had USC and Oregon and then a wasteland. The Big12 was right up with the SEC during that time.

Edited by quigley