2022 Texas Coaching/Support Staff Thread

RaysBoomBoomRoom

26 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

A few of my beliefs and guesses:

Texas initiated staff changes after signing day not before, not including Joseph leaving for LSU if that happens.   

Not many changes, including not PK. 

The Patterson conversations are real, but obviously as a contingency, with some big challenges to reality.  

It’s tough to blame coaches for some of the high profile recruiting misses when it’s bag money.

This was not PK’s defensive staff and he’s going to have an opportunity to make a change.

I think this is spot on.  PK is going to be given the option to hire his own DB coach - and Coleman will be the only other staff turnover.

5 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I think this is spot on.  PK is going to be given the option to hire his own DB coach - and Coleman will be the only other staff turnover.

I bet we expand on analyst and support staff in a big way though. Id be shocked if this thing isn't looking like full scale operation, if that doesn't happen then Sark is not the guy.

• Hook 'Em 3

I just wish we could get someone that can close a high ranking recruit.

Banks was supposed to be that guy but doesn't seem like he has made an impact

Sark cannot close a fucking door, Milwee is terrible, Choate is pounding the PWO circuit to replace Brockermeyer, PK is awful, Flood likes fat, slow unathletic linemen and on and fucking on.

Get someone in here that can close. Watching Texas whiff on top talent left and right is nuts.

23 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

I just wish we could get someone that can close a high ranking recruit.

Banks was supposed to be that guy but doesn't seem like he has made an impact

Sark cannot close a fucking door, Milwee is terrible, Choate is pounding the PWO circuit to replace Brockermeyer, PK is awful, Flood likes fat, slow unathletic linemen and on and fucking on.

Get someone in here that can close. Watching Texas whiff on top talent left and right is nuts.

We seem to have likeable guys and plenty of good “supporting” recruiters but yeah no closer. 

I’m surprised some many people are shocked our recruiting sucks. 
This staff lost to fucking Kansas.  
This staff lead us to a losing season. 
This staff coached a bunch of players who regressed as season progressed.
This staff is a bunch of losers. NIL money is great to tip a player our way if we are winning, but no one is going to risk their NFL future over it. 

1 minute ago, Dbeasy said:

I believe we are all learning it’s not about the bright shiny personality of the coach, but instead it’s “show me the money”. 

The rationalizations on this board are funny. A&M just went 8-4 in an underachieving year. They should have no momentum at all. 

Of course it’s about the money. People need to stop with the dumb shit like “look at our record” and “look at the coaching staff.” 

It’s about being committed to buying recruits. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Bama also didn’t suck complete ass. 

Banks was considered a closer even at aggy. During shitty 8-5 and 7-6 seasons under Sumlin. It's why Saban hired him. 

Almost everyone considered Banks a huge win for Texas in recruiting based on his history and that was prior to Alabama with all the winning. Somehow he can't close now at Texas? 

Seems to be a very obvious reason why he can't close now but that's just me. 

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Banks was considered a closer even at aggy. During shitty 8-5 and 7-6 seasons under Sumlin. It's why Saban hired him. 

Almost everyone considered Banks a huge win for Texas in recruiting based on his history and that was prior to Alabama with all the winning. Somehow he can't close now at Texas? 

Seems to be a very obvious reason why he can't close now but that's just me. 

Sure, money bags are a big part. But this team is complete shit. We lost to Kansas. That’s almost not even having a team. 

16 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

In typical Nahlin fashion, he just dropped a link to Gary Patterson’s music video in the coaching carousel thread on IT with no context.

there might be something weird going on with GP and OU. He liked a tweet yesterday of a fan saying he should be HC there, and recently started following Joe C and the OU prez.

Edited by RaysBoomBoomRoom

37 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

there might be something weird going on with GP and OU. He liked a tweet yesterday of a fan saying he should be HC there, and recently started following Joe C and the OU prez.

If they hire a young HC (like Beamer) or pluck a Coordinator - I could see them trying to dump money at GP to bring some head coach experience (and defensive coaching talent) to the staff.

13 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

If they hire a young HC (like Beamer) or pluck a Coordinator - I could see them trying to dump money at GP to bring some head coach experience (and defensive coaching talent) to the staff.

I really hope Bob Stoops involvement somehow really screws up the new blOU coaching hire.

Please let it be so...  🙏

17 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

They won't have to dump money on Patterson.  He's still getting paid by TCU for the next three years. 

15 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

The rationalizations on this board are funny. A&M just went 8-4 in an underachieving year. They should have no momentum at all. 

Of course it’s about the money. People need to stop with the dumb shit like “look at our record” and “look at the coaching staff.” 

It’s about being committed to buying recruits. 

Best 8-4 team in the country. Whoop!

8 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

I can’t imagine Gary Patterson doing anything but undermining a head coach at a new school, especially a younger one who has never been a HC before. He’ll be like Buddy Ryan with the Oilers. 

It's almost like you forgot that while he was shithammered the entire time, Sark has been a head coach twice. This is his third stint. 

That being said, I don't disagree with the premise that this is something to be concerned about. It might literally be in Patterson's DNA to undermine and negative-recruit Texas, so if he's wearing the logo he might just have no choice to but to direct it upwards on the org chart instead of to recruits.

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

It's almost like you forgot that while he was shithammered the entire time, Sark has been a head coach twice. This is his third stint. 

That being said, I don't disagree with the premise that this is something to be concerned about. It might literally be in Patterson's DNA to undermine and negative-recruit Texas, so if he's wearing the logo he might just have no choice to but to direct it upwards on the org chart instead of to recruits.

I believe he was referring to OU

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Ah, well I take it all back. Despite the fact we're on the Texas Coaching support thread.

No chance of Gary Patterson coming here guys. Move along. 

200.gif

IT is hearing rumblings Gary Patterson will join Texas in some capacity. 

The fabled TCU coach was let-go midseason after choosing pine box over parade. That was a very Gary Patterson way to go out.

As soon as he was out speculation emerged regarding him ending up at Texas. The connection of course being his close relationship to Texas AD Chris Del Conte. Those two are so close many suspected Del Conte would never leave TCU while Patterson was still the head coach.

Given his first in-season freedom in eons, Patterson was soon spotted in Austin. Sources quieted that down by saying there was nothing to Patterson and Texas. We were tracking it just in case, but then @BobbyBurton heard Patterson coming to Texas was very unlikely.

This is from Bobby this a.m.: “A mea culpa on my part. Two and a half weeks ago, Coach Patterson told someone I trust that he wouldn’t be going anywhere next year, that he wasn’t “moving.” That being said, things can and do change.“

Indeed, at the time I also heard it was just too close to his TCU tenure for Patterson to assume a role at Texas, a school he relished in beating while captain of the Horned Frogs.

As Bobby said, things can and do change. It probably didn’t sit well when SMU’s head coach was assigned Patterson’s office. 

But still, Gary Patterson and Texas?

Yesterday IT asked someone extremely close to Patterson if they could see him at Texas. His response, “Yes. He would take a DC job where he thinks he could win national championship.” 

Say what you will about UT’s chances to win a National Championship under Steve Sarkisian, but IT knows Patterson thinks highly of UT’s head coach.

If this does happen, two first-order questions remain: 1. Is this something Sark truly wants, and 2., what role would Patterson assume?

1. We’re not sure about Sark’s feelings but we know he’ll have the money to get it done if he wants to. This is the big question remaining. 

2. We’ve heard potential roles being everything from analyst to being in charge of the whole defense. We think analyst is highly unlikely and would be a foolish move.

To be clear, we have heard of no current defensive coaches being removed and it’s conceivable Patterson‘s know-how in the back-end could be married to Pete Kwiatkowski’s defensive front.

Patterson would also bring some much-needed toughness and aggression to the program, not unlike Will Muschamp in 2008.

It remains to be seen if this goes through, and exactly what his role would be, but the title is certainly accurate.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

The fabled TCU coach was let-go midseason after choosing pine box over parade. That was a very Gary Patterson way to go out.

As soon as he was out speculation emerged regarding him ending up at Texas. The connection of course being his close relationship to Texas AD Chris Del Conte. Those two are so close many suspected Del Conte would never leave TCU while Patterson was still the head coach.

Given his first in-season freedom in eons, Patterson was soon spotted in Austin. Sources quieted that down by saying there was nothing to Patterson and Texas. We were tracking it just in case, but then @BobbyBurton heard Patterson coming to Texas was very unlikely.

This is from Bobby this a.m.: “A mea culpa on my part. Two and a half weeks ago, Coach Patterson told someone I trust that he wouldn’t be going anywhere next year, that he wasn’t “moving.” That being said, things can and do change.“

Indeed, at the time I also heard it was just too close to his TCU tenure for Patterson to assume a role at Texas, a school he relished in beating while captain of the Horned Frogs.

As Bobby said, things can and do change. It probably didn’t sit well when SMU’s head coach was assigned Patterson’s office. 

Yesterday IT asked someone extremely close to Patterson if they could see him at Texas. His response, “Yes. He would take a DC job where he thinks he could win national championship.” 

Say what you will about UT’s chances to win a National Championship under Steve Sarkisian, but IT knows Patterson thinks highly of UT’s head coach.

If this does happen, two first-order questions remain: 1. Is this something Sark truly wants, and 2., what role would Patterson assume?

1. We’re not sure about Sark’s feelings but we know he’ll have the money to get it done if he wants to. This is the big question remaining. 

2. We’ve heard potential roles being everything from analyst to being in charge of the whole defense. We think analyst is highly unlikely and would be a foolish move.

To be clear, we have heard of no current defensive coaches being removed and it’s conceivable Patterson‘s know-how in the back-end could be married to Pete Kwiatkowski’s defensive front.

Patterson would also bring some much-needed toughness and aggression to the program, not unlike Will Muschamp in 2008.

It remains to be seen if this goes through, and exactly what his role would be, but the title is certainly accurate.

Must be running into a lot of smoke to actually publish that. 

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Fat Pat as DB coach would be ok with me

6 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Must be running into a lot of smoke to actually publish that. 

I'm unsure how to feel about it but a pissed off Gary Patterson recruiting for us and against TCU would be interesting. Although that is only short term.

6 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Fat Pat as DB coach would be ok with me

I don't think he'd be coming to coach DB's

8 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Yeah its one thing to drop this nugget in a Humidor or some shit - but running it as its own thing leads me to believe this might have some real substance to it.

Co-DC/CB - Patterson (play caller)

Co-DC/ OLB - PK

ILB/Run Game Coordinator - Choate

DL - Davis

S - Gideon

Fuck off - Joseph

• Hook 'Em 6

5 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

I was, thank you. Sorry for contributing to an off topic tangent. 

I do have a hard time seeing GP come to Texas, but after TCU fired him and hired the man who tried to murder Jerry Kill, he may want revenge on the Frogs. 

Apparently Gary respects Sark quite a bit and obviously has the CDC connection.  Assuming he'd like to extract some revenge on TCU - seems like a pretty good gig for him.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

I was, thank you. Sorry for contributing to an off topic tangent. 

I do have a hard time seeing GP come to Texas, but after TCU fired him and hired the man who tried to murder Jerry Kill, he may want revenge on the Frogs. 

Elvira Mistress Of The Dark Revenge GIF by filmeditor

• Haha 1