2022 Texas Coaching/Support Staff Thread

RaysBoomBoomRoom

2 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Why does hiring a new WR coach mean we can't also hire a new DB coach? Is there only 1 "Joseph" per staff rule that I'm not aware of?

Because they're brothers or cousins. The idea is that, with these two specific Josephs, there would be bad blood for firing a blood relative a few days before hiring the other.

• Hook 'Em 3

Idk why the hell Coleman is still on staff right now. What would firing him before NSD cost us? Unless Brenen has some insanely strong attachment to him (doubtful), we've already lost out on every one of our other top WR prospects. Might as well hire someone with a chance of pulling in a last-minute flip.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Because they're brothers or cousins. The idea is that, with these two specific Josephs, there would be bad blood for firing a blood relative a few days before hiring the other.

Yup, realized that was the case and edited. 

To be fair though, I wouldn't join any organization that employed my dipshit brother UNTIL they fired him but I guess some people like their siblings. 

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

There have been like 3 or 4 articles talking about how Texas needs Gary Patterson, including one from Brian Davis today.  Maybe there's some smoke there? It's hard to imagine Gideon being the scapegoat and not Joseph but we shall see. Only thing thats relatively clear is PK is coming back.

2 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Idk why the hell Coleman is still on staff right now. What would firing him before NSD cost us? Unless Brenen has some insanely strong attachment to him (doubtful), we've already lost out on every one of our other top WR prospects. Might as well hire someone with a chance of pulling in a last-minute flip.

To find an answer to your question you should consider the very real possibility that Sark isn’t a good head coach.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Kelly has always been bitter about the tight purse strings at ND, and has chafed at small resources for assistants and support staff. Looks like now that the governor is off, he's going to go apeshit building a staff. 

I still don't know how Louisiana affords all this, but that has been true my entire adult life. 

• Hook 'Em 4

47 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

There have been like 3 or 4 articles talking about how Texas needs Gary Patterson, including one from Brian Davis today.  Maybe there's some smoke there? It's hard to imagine Gideon being the scapegoat and not Joseph but we shall see. Only thing thats relatively clear is PK is coming back.

That is interesting. IT shot it down recently, but I'm starting to realize the paysites are pretty behind on coaching search info... unless Jeff Traylor is involved. 

4 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

That is interesting. IT shot it down recently, but I'm starting to realize the paysites are pretty behind on coaching search info... unless Jeff Traylor is involved. 

This is Patterson's most recent follow. She is an academic coordinator here. Could be nothing, we shall see. He also recently started following Kobe McKenzie and Travonte Citizen but before that he followed a few OU guys including their president. 

1 hour ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Unless Patterson is looking for a part-time gig - why would he go somewhere as a Coordinator or position coach when he could easily get another HC position somewhere.

2 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Unless Patterson is looking for a part-time gig - why would he go somewhere as a Coordinator or position coach when he could easily get another HC position somewhere.

The only logical response is maybe the Delconte angle. We will see how close they are and hoe savvy Sark is.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

You're looking at it wrong. If Mac Engel is writing this stuff, then Patterson probably wants a cush coordinator job close to Fort Worth. The only answer I have to your question is that he's old, most likely won't get a good P5 offer, and doesn't want to uproot his life to go coach at a G5.

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

You're looking at it wrong. If Mac Engel is writing this stuff, then Patterson probably wants a cush coordinator job close to Fort Worth. The only answer I have to your question is that he's old, most likely won't get a good P5 offer, and doesn't want to uproot his life to go coach at a G5.

Yeah - not sure Patterson can 'easily' get another P5 HC job. He had a less-than-cordial separation with his last spot and hasn't even been mentioned for any current openings.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Kelly has always been bitter about the tight purse strings at ND, and has chafed at small resources for assistants and support staff. Looks like now that the governor is off, he's going to go apeshit building a staff. 

I still don't know how Louisiana affords all this, but that has been true my entire adult life. 

when you can print your own francs its easy.

Jimbo has had 4 WR drafted since he got to FSU as OC 14 years ago. Only 1 1st rounder, the rest all day 3. It's a laughably bad track record considering the amount of elite WR recruits he's signed. For full transparency though, he did have a few first rounders as OC at LSU way back when. Regardless of that, it's basically impossible to argue that his offense is good for a WR's NFL future.

• Like 1

On the flip side, Coleman has had more to sell the last two years than probably any other position coach at UT, yet here he is for the second year in a row with maybe the worst haul of any position (obviously excluding Worthy). He might be a solid coach but insane level of recruiting incompetence.

1 minute ago, RGBIII said:

Have we seen anything that could come close to supporting this theory?

I used "might" because I don't really know either way. But also I'm not as down on our WRs as most. We don't have any star talents outside of X but Jwhitt was pretty good, Marcus/Dixon were ok. The drops were obviously bad but WRs were less of an issue than OL and QB on offense.

Either way, I'm not defending the guy. Up above I already said he should've been fired by now.

On 11/29/2021 at 7:33 AM, Hiphopopotamos said:

Holy shit - he is taking Wylie with him.  LOL.

Also - Grinch and Simmons are definitely gone.

Curious to see who of you were team Bennie and who is team Deebo (Moore), if you had to bring one back?  

Edited by RollLeft

46 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Jimbo has had 4 WR drafted since he got to FSU as OC 14 years ago. Only 1 1st rounder, the rest all day 3. It's a laughably bad track record considering the amount of elite WR recruits he's signed. For full transparency though, he did have a few first rounders as OC at LSU way back when. Regardless of that, it's basically impossible to argue that his offense is good for a WR's NFL future.

What he said

On the flip side, Coleman has had more to sell the last two years than probably any other position coach at UT, yet here he is for the second year in a row with maybe the worst haul of any position (obviously excluding Worthy). He might be a solid coach but insane level of recruiting incompetence.

Worthy was all Sark. Coleman had nothing to do with his flipping to Texas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is Donte Williams' reputation as a coach? Know he's a plus recruiter but no idea how he's viewed on the coaching side.

If he's good at coaching, he would be a really interesting option and he was a GA for Sark at UW. We need someone who can do more than just recruit in that role though.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

What is Donte Williams' reputation as a coach? Know he's a plus recruiter but no idea how he's viewed on the coaching side.

If he's good at coaching, he would be a really interesting option and he was a GA for Sark at UW. We need someone who can do more than just recruit in that role though.

Id love him but I'm gonna be honest with you, if the DC cant operate without a specific type of secondary coach then he needs to go, period. I get that its the narrative thats been floated to make us feel better about his shit D this year but it cant be real. This is ridiculous. If you can get a recruiter like Williams, you do it. 

1 minute ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Id love him but I'm gonna be honest with you, if the DC cant operate without a specific type of secondary coach then he needs to go, period. I get that its the narrative thats been floated to make us feel better about his shit D this year but it cant be real. This is ridiculous. If you can get a recruiter like Williams, you do it. 

Maybe so but it doesn't sounds like PK is going anywhere so we gotta make lemonade by hiring someone who can cover for DC deficiencies as much as possible. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Everyone at Ole Miss loved him and thought he was a good coach. Weird that it doesn't seem to have worked out.

Not that weird. He inherited a regressing BJ Foster and converted WR Brenden Schooler.

Gideon is a good recruiter and has assisted with many targets in addition to reeling in what I think is our best player in the class right now in BJ Allen.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 2

Im fine with Gideon, I think our safeties were shit and he's a good recruiter. Coombs would be the guy I target if he's let go at Ohio State. Im sure Sark has some NFL connections too (Karl Scott, etc) . I could also see Sark try to bring in his boy Lupoi to coach LB's should he part ways with Choate.  

A few of my beliefs and guesses:

Texas initiated staff changes after signing day not before, not including Joseph leaving for LSU if that happens.   

Not many changes, including not PK. 

The Patterson conversations are real, but obviously as a contingency, with some big challenges to reality.  

It’s tough to blame coaches for some of the high profile recruiting misses when it’s bag money.

This was not PK’s defensive staff and he’s going to have an opportunity to make a change.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1