2022 Off-Season Thread: No Kool-Aid, Just Flavor-Aid

BurntOrange&White

37 minutes ago, BlakeOfTheYear said:

Good LSU buddy of mine texted me today and said that he is pretty sure Decoldest Crawford will transfer to Texas

The number of WRs available in the portal after early signing day are gonna rise, so it's a probably not a position that Sark has to be in a big hurry to fill.  

• Hook 'Em 1

It's absolutely wild that none of the bad shit that happened to Texas football this season isn't going to end up mattering. The OU collapse, the other collapses, the Kansas game, the monkey (which I maintain wasn't a big deal), the Bo Davis bus thing (which is really just a poor reflection on whoever released it). None of it even matters a little bit. Throwing around some major NIL cash coupled with the coaching carousel royally fucking some teams, particularly Oregon and Oklahoma, and Texas just inked a recruiting class that legitimately has potential to get the program moving in a positive direction. Lord knows they have to develop those players and we know how much of a problem that has been, but damn, none of the bad shit that happened this season ended up mattering. It's establishing an extremely low bar, but after the previous two coaching staffs we'll take what we can get, but kudos to this staff for realizing that things in the trenches, especially on the o-line, were a complete disaster and needed to be fixed. Kudos to whomever it was, probably CDC, who got the boosters all working together for once to come up with the NIL programs we needed to make this happen. Who the fuck knows if it's going anywhere positive, but just the fact that we signed this class after thing that happened this year is absolutely bonkers.

On 12/15/2021 at 7:24 PM, ATLLonghorn said:

It's absolutely wild that none of the bad shit that happened to Texas football this season isn't going to end up mattering. The OU collapse, the other collapses, the Kansas game, the monkey (which I maintain wasn't a big deal), the Bo Davis bus thing (which is really just a poor reflection on whoever released it). None of it even matters a little bit. Throwing around some major NIL cash coupled with the coaching carousel royally fucking some teams, particularly Oregon and Oklahoma, and Texas just inked a recruiting class that legitimately has potential to get the program moving in a positive direction. Lord knows they have to develop those players and we know how much of a problem that has been, but damn, none of the bad shit that happened this season ended up mattering. It's establishing an extremely low bar, but after the previous two coaching staffs we'll take what we can get, but kudos to this staff for realizing that things in the trenches, especially on the o-line, were a complete disaster and needed to be fixed. Kudos to whomever it was, probably CDC, who got the boosters all working together for once to come up with the NIL programs we needed to make this happen. Who the fuck knows if it's going anywhere positive, but just the fact that we signed this class after thing that happened this year is absolutely bonkers.

The leash is shorter. These young kids have to see the field and we have to start winning. 

8 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

The leash is shorter. These young kids have to see the field and we have to start winning. 

Very few starting spots are set -- current roster players on alert that they better compete or they may not start in 2022...  

Several of the new signed players coming in are physical, aggressive and competitive!!

I was looking at the roster and started looking at film, I know we feel like we need a WR and to a point I do agree but I also feel like Sark has some body’s he can use. Other than Worthy and Whittington I feel everyone else is unknown even Washington. Brennan Thompson imo is going to thrive under Sark, he seems like the type Sark would use.  I hate he isn’t enrolling early ti go through the spring but neither did Worthy and he’s the best WR we have. He should be a weapon. Also Jaden Alexis  and Dejon Harris, if you go back and look at their film they seem like the prototype WR that Sark would utilize in his offense. Kel Dixon not so much, Yes he’s fast but not as twitchy as the others I named same for Troy Omerie, he’s big and from what I understand has a crazy catch radius but it can always be tricky coming off leg injuries. 
I think Sark has some talent he can turn to, I do hope we get at least 1 WR out the portal though that can come in and help day 1 Also 2023 is a strong class for the WR position in the State. If we show what I think we can, they should be knocking down the door to get here 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SarkAfterDark said:

As long as they know they are competing for QB2. I would prefer to not have a farce of a battle for QB1. Ewers needs all the first team reps starting in the Spring.

I thought we wanted the best player to play. Competition should start even.

• Hook 'Em 1

It's still wild to me that so many coveted recruits have played so indifferently on the field.

The brightest spot is the number of players staying who could leave if they wanted to. I think Overshown indicates a core of players who are as frustrated as we are and ready to change things.

I don't know if I'm in a minority or not, but I think Sark is going to work out well for us.

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

It's still wild to me that so many coveted recruits have played so indifferently on the field.

The brightest spot is the number of players staying who could leave if they wanted to. I think Overshown indicates a core of players who are as frustrated as we are and ready to change things.

I don't know if I'm in a minority or not, but I think Sark is going to work out well for us.

This season is going to be telling, but Sark has been cutthroat and unapologetic about the need for a rebuild and remaking the roster with guys he feels he can go win with. That alone gives me hope, and as long as we can get the D headed in the right direction we should be vastly improved this year. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 12/16/2021 at 10:18 AM, Hookem2147 said:

Fair. I don't have as much of a problem with Casey as I do with his Dad and how he feeds the media.

You should rethink that stance. With what Charles has been through, he has seen both sides of the coin and decided to live by simply being honest. It's a great way to live. That allows him to pick up the phone and answer questions, he's never said anything offensive or that would hurt the program. He continues to believe and bet on his son. Unfortunately, FCB is the one most pro-active in reaching out, or so it seems. If not him, it'd be any of the other snakes from AAS, HC, DMN or 995.

I can’t say if he is or is not the long term answer. However, I’m willing to see what happens and give him a little breathing room. Zero to hero in an off-season as the new coach is a miracle. 

I want to see what he builds towards, and then what he does with it.

We started out worse off than we thought, had some bullshit, and here we are.

His first real signing day went really well, so we’ll see where it goes from here.

Charlie was way over his head, Turtle too. I don’t yet think Sark is, but that doesn’t mean he can fully fix the problems.

Watch and see I guess. His fourth season will be the real tell, once he has 3 classes of players he wants for his system. If it’s still a shit show, then what happens happens.

1 minute ago, Goodman said:

You should rethink that stance. With what Charles has been through, he has seen both sides of the coin and decided to live by simply being honest. It's a great way to live. That allows him to pick up the phone and answer questions, he's never said anything offensive or that would hurt the program. He continues to believe and bet on his son. Unfortunately, FCB is the one most pro-active in reaching out, or so it seems. If not him, it'd be any of the other snakes from AAS, HC, DMN or 995.

Counterpoint, the Brian Jones situation. 

• Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, Goodman said:

The guy repeatedly went on Chip Brown’s podcast and ripped Sam Ehlinger throughout the 2020 season and told anyone who would listen that Casey should have played over him.

He then decided to use Anwar and Chip as a mouthpiece throughout the QB competition this past offseason, going as far as to tell them where Casey may be transferring to if he wasn’t named the starter.

Charles knows how to manipulate and use the media. It’s why the public perception of Casey is that he’s an angel who just locks himself in his room 24 hours a day and watches film and poor mean Sark didn’t name him the starter. There’s a reason Chip and Anwar didn’t report on Casey cleaning out his locker after he wasn’t named the starter, or the fact the defense nicknamed him QB2. 

Anyway. Rant over. I’m sure Casey is a nice kid and means well but his Dad is toxic and part of the culture program we have in this program.

Edited by Hookem2147

On 12/15/2021 at 6:24 PM, ATLLonghorn said:

All the things you cited played a factor, but you also have to look at the things that Sark delivered on even when things were going bad.  Even with the injuries and the problems with the O-Line and Defense, we still managed to put up numbers at QB, WR, and RB.  

2 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

The guy repeatedly went on Chip Brown’s podcast and ripped Sam Ehlinger throughout the 2020 season and told anyone who would listen that Casey should have played over him.

He then decided to use Anwar and Chip as a mouthpiece throughout the QB competition this past offseason, going as far as to tell them where Casey may be transferring to if he wasn’t named the starter.

Charles knows how to manipulate and use the media. It’s why the public perception of Casey is that he’s an angel who just locks himself in his room 24 hours a day and watches film and poor mean Sark didn’t name him the starter. There’s a reason Chip and Anwar didn’t report on Casey cleaning out his locker after he wasn’t named the starter, or the fact the defense nicknamed him QB2. 

Anyway. Rant over. I’m sure Casey is a nice kid and means well but his Dad is toxic and part of the culture program we have in this program.

Say What Saturday Night Live GIF