Texas Recruiting Notes 2025: Now We Have a Machine Gun

texifornia

5 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

I don't think either one of these chumps know what they're talking about with no mention of Texas.  The first guy is/was an aggy mod and the other guy probably doesn't know shit.

Screenshot_20240509_094236_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240509_094257_Chrome.jpg

That's a weird article given how supremely confident our 995ers are.

16 minutes ago, bEastTexas said:

Nahlin made a post in the IT transfer thread about the same time as Gerry’s post that said “ahem!”. Assuming it is transfer related. 

Nahlin just confirmed it is a transfer and not Johnny Bowens, said he didn’t see that one happening. 

• Hook 'Em 3

41 minutes ago, Radical Larry said:

He entered the portal some time ago, but if Texas is courting him they've kept it pretty quite. 

If I remember his recruitment correctly, we liked him but didn't want him to play his preferred position. I think we wanted him to play DB and he wanted to play WR. So if he's seen the light about his place on the field, then bringing him in would make sense. Maybe a year at UH has given him some much needed perspective about his place in the food chain.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Park Gothic said:

He entered the portal some time ago, but if Texas is courting him they've kept it pretty quite. 

If I remember his recruitment correctly, we liked him but didn't want him to play his preferred position. I think we wanted him to play DB and he wanted to play WR. So if he's seen the light about his place on the field, then bringing him in would make sense. Maybe a year at UH has given him some much needed perspective about his place in the food chain.

Sounds right to me.

In HS, he played all over the field, especially on offense. Played a lot of QB, as I recall (but I am getting old). He is certainly talented and versatile.

Those kind of guys don't like to be pigeonholed in college until they realize you can't specialize in everything.

Edited by Tex Pete

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Getafix said:

!!!!

Btw, Hattersley posted this note less than an hour ago, on Aggie 247.

Good timing on that CB by Wiltfong ... and given this is a defensive recruit and w/ Fong's Elko connection, this should bode well for us (at least relative to the Aggies) on this recruitment.

image.thumb.png.870f3816e70036cf132d6ae2e83965b3.png

image.thumb.png.ba978a0ceb638e310d836a6fcb76499c.png

Edited by Getafix
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Elko learned from the best used car salesman in the business.  They'll land some decent guys and 247 and Looch will talk about how the Elk is already beating out Sark for players.  Sellers never really seemed that interested in us.

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Elko learned from the best used car salesman in the business.  They'll land some decent guys and 247 and Looch will talk about how the Elk is already beating out Sark for players.  Sellers never really seemed that interested in us.

He was at the start. Felt like once Joseph started zeroing in on Phillips and Anding (and Brew) he didn't want to wait around.

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, Focht Up said:

I see the 8-year old boys are online tonight.   Thank goodness for the ignore feature. 

This is a very disingenuous post.

How would you know that the 8-year old boys were online if you were using the ignore function?

• Haha 1

You just have to brie-leave that things will get cheddar.
Only Brie I want to see in here are the Allison kind. Cheese puns have never landed us a single recruit worth a shit.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ousux said:
6 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

You just have to brie-leave that things will get cheddar.

Only Brie I want to see in here are the Allison kind. Cheese puns have never landed us a single recruit worth a shit.

Not true. Brandon Jones and Josh Thompson are from Nacogdocheese.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

The Stampede: Texas recruiting intel from the road, DB official visitor outlook

It's hard to believe we're almost at the halfway point of May, which means camp season and Official Visit Palooza is right around the corner. 

In today's The Stampede, we took a look at some of the latest recruiting intel from the road as Horns247's Jordan Scruggs has been traversing the state of Texas and beyond to gather the recruiting pulse of some of the Longhorns' top 2025 target. Here, he'll share the latest on: 

-- Four-star offensive tackle Lamont Rogers, as the Longhorns continue to gain ground 

-- Five-star offensive tackle and top Texas target Michael Fasusi

-- The latest from UT's top remaining linebacker target in Riley Pettijohn

-- An under-the-radar 2025 prospect in Central Texas

-- ... and more ... 

Along with that, Horns247's Hank South breaks down the official visitors outlook for the month of June as it pertains to the secondary. The Longhorns have yet to add a defensive back in the class of 2025, but that will change this summer with many of UT's targets on the back end set to make their way to the Forty Acres. 

Not a VIP member of Horns247? You can sign up today and get your first month for just $1! 

LATEST WITH LAMONT

Lamont Rogers. (Photo: Jordan Scruggs, 247Sports)

Lamont Rogers, 4-star OT, Mesquite Horn 

There isn't a ton of news with or in Rogers' recruitment, but the Horns have remained consistent throughout the spring as we approach official visit season. Originally playing from behind to start the new year, the return to Austin by Chris Gilbert put the burnt orange in position to have a shot almost immediately as the Gilbert-led Horns began to start really connecting with Rogers in February and March. Outside of the reported dates for his official visits, Rogers will take two more officials. He'll see a school June 18-20 before his last OV starts June 21-23. The June 18-20 OV is already booked, Rogers just has to announce it himself, whereas the June 21-23 OV is still being decided between Florida State, LSU, and Tennessee. A decision will be made in July with Horns247 expecting the choice to come down to the Lone Star Rivals of Texas and Texas A&M. 

HEATED BATTLE REGIONAL BATTLE SHAPING UP FOR 5-STAR OT
Michael Fasusi, 5-star OT, Lewisville 

Although Texas A&M is 1000 percent a real threat and should continue to be viewed as one going forward, I continue to like where my 247Sports Crystal Ball prediction stands just weeks before Fasusi starts his official visit circuit. Kyle Flood and Co. have had Fasusi as OL target No. 1 going back to the beginning of the class, and with Flood's skins on the wall in the form of Kelvin Banks, DJ Campbell, Brandon Baker, etc., it's incredibly hard to bet against the Longhorns offensive line coach here. Oklahoma has also remained in the picture for the majority of the recruitment, and with the Sooners and Aggies both extending a PWO offer to Fasusi's best friend Sean Hutton, the race is only expected to get more heated between the three regional rivals. Click HERE for a story I posted from Fasusi and I's conversation.

PETTIJOHN REMAINS TOP LB TARGET FOR EVERYONE

Riley Pettijohn. (Photo: Andrew Hattersley , 247Sports)

Riley Pettijohn, 4-star LB, McKinney 

Similar to Rogers, there isn't a ton of news with Pettijohn's recruitment. Ohio State, Texas, Texas A&M, and USC continue to be the schools of note with the Longhorns continuing to be the leader on the 247Sports Crystal Ball. It's important to remember that Pettijohn is effectively held in the same regard by all four schools as the top linebacker target, and on the same note I saw Ohio State DC Jim Knowles and LB coach James Laurinaitis spend the majority of McKinney's spring game on Friday talking with Pettijohn's father. I'll have quotes from Pettijohn and I's conversation out in the near future, but the Longhorns continue to be the attractive pick in the recruitment of the Top247 linebacker.

CANES MORE OF A THREAT THAN WE THOUGHT FOR BAYOU STATE CB?
Aidan Anding, 3-star CB, Ruston (LA) -

I'll be seeing Anding in practice later today, but I feel like it's worth mentioning I've been speaking with a source in North Louisiana over the past week who has made it very clear Miami is in a better position than almost anyone anticipated. Anding is already down to a top three of Arkansas, Miami, and Texas so it isn't necessarily ground breaking news, but in all honesty I thought Texas was in better position than they seem to be. Again, we'll find out more today, but this seems to be shaping up to be a Texas vs. Miami battle as the Hurricanes aren't to be taken lightly.

RISING 2026 WR TURNING HEADS

London Smith. (Photo: Jordan Scruggs, 247Sports)

London Smith, 2026 4-star WR, Waco University 

In what looks like a down year at the receiver position for the in-state class of 2026, Smith is expected to be one of the most coveted prospects in the Lone Star State as the Top247 WR is already firmly in the sights of Baylor, Texas, and Texas A&M. A Baylor legacy with his plenty of ties to the green and gold, Smith will eventually face the same ordeal all legacies are faced with where they must decide if they'd like to follow a path laid before them or if they'd like to blaze their own path. 

UNDER-THE-RADAR 2025 NAME OF NOTE

Jason Stokes Jr. (Photo: Jordan Scruggs, 247Sports)

Jason Stokes Jr., CB, Pflugerville Weiss 

With a board that'll continue to shrink the further we get into the offseason, Stokes Jr. could be a local senior riser to watch. An incredibly intriguing prospect, Stokes is 6-3, 185 pounds and has only played defensive back for one season as prior to being a first team all-district selection at cornerback as a junior, he primarily played receiver. With three OVs currently set up for Liberty, Arizona State, and Utah, Stokes could see more schools added to his schedule after landing offers from Houston and LSU this week. Although he's been a bit under the radar compared to other 512-area prospects, I've been a fan of Stokes for some time and really think he could potentially fit the bill of a Texas cornerback as he's a local product with the coveted length and athleticism. Stokes, along with Jayden Sanders from Kilgore could be two 2025 defensive back names to watch for the Horns going forward.

2026 DB EXPEDITING COMMITMENT TIMELINE?
Markel Ford, 2026 4-star S, Mesquite Horn 

Another one of the more coveted prospects in 2026, Ford has seemed to be ahead of others in his class in recruiting. He's basically had the top four of Oklahoma, Texas, Texas A&M, and SMU since the end of his sophomore season and I don't see the group of favorites necessarily changing either. Ford has made it very clear he'd heavily prefer to play for a defensive minded head coach, and with that said the Sooners and the Aggies are who the recruitment is expected to come down to. With Ford seemingly a vet to the recruitment process already, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him give a commitment this summer. 

DEFENSIVE BACK OFFICIAL VISIT OUTLOOK

Caleb Chester. (Photo: Jordan Scruggs, 247Sports)
June 7-9

Caleb Chester, 3-star CB, Fort Bend Marshall

The 6-foot-1, 170-pounder has been a frequent visitor to Texas throughout his recruitment, most recently stopping in on April 13. He'll kick off his tour of official visits later this month at LSU May 31-June 2, followed by Texas, then Texas A&M June 14-16, and rounding things out at Arkansas June 21-23. This has long been thought to be a Texas-Texas A&M battle. If the Longhorns turn up the heat, the program will be a tough out for any other school to overcome. My Crystal Ball prediction has been in favor of UT since last summer, and I'm keeping it there for now. 

June 14-16

Dorian Brew, 5-star CB, Conroe

Earlier this year Brew had a commitment date set and all signs pointed to Ohio State for the talented cornerback. However, Brew put a pause on commitment plans and made an unofficial visit to Austin for Junior Day in January. Since then, the Buckeyes have lost steam and schools like Texas, USC, Texas A&M, and LSU have picked up steam. Brew's father attended LSU and his mom attended Ohio State, giving both programs family ties to lean on. We'll see how much, if at all, that comes into play when Brew makes his decision.

Kade Phillips. (Photo: Jordan Scruggs, 247Sports)

June 21-23

Devin Williams, 4-star CB, Buford (Ga.) — Auburn commit

The Longhorns locked in Williams for an official visit June 21-23 last week, as the Longhorns appear to be turning up the dial on the flip meter. So far Williams has said all the right things about his Tigers pledge, but setting an official visit to the Forty Acres is certainly notable. Williams has only been to Austin for a track event, so this will be his first exposure to the football side of things.

"Texas is not like some of these others schools that just give out offers to everyone," Williams said last week. "Texas only offers if they really want you and that says a lot about the culture there."

Kade Phillips, 4-star CB, Hightower

The Longhorns offered the 6-foot, 170-pounder earlier this year and have since been a trendy pick for the in-state CB. Phillips will take several official visits this summer to Texas A&M June 7-9 and LSU June 14-16, before wrapping things up on the Forty Acres. He also officially visited Baylor late last month. The Longhorns seem to have set the bar, though.

"Just the environment, the people here, they want you," he said. "You feel wanted here. Not just someone that's going to come here and they're going to forget about you. You're here for a reason."

A decision will likely be made after his slate of official visits.

Aidan Anding, 3-star CB, Ruston (La.)

Another spring offer at the defensive back position, Anding made a trek out to Austin on April 6 for the Longhorn City Limits recruiting event, which placed Texas in the Bayou State product's top three. It'll likely come down to Texas vs. Miami, as Jordan noted above, for Anding when all is said and done, and you can't rule out LSU getting involved and keeping the talented cornerback home when all is said and done.

"How they develop their players," Anding said of what he likes about the UT program. "I feel like if I eventually end up going there, they can help me get my profile out there, get me bigger, my image. They're putting them boys in the league."

• Hook 'Em 4

SUNDAY EVENING MAY 12TH OTF STREAM

- Texas staff hitting Houston
    - Gideon/Joseph - Caleb Chester, Kade Phillips; Chris Jackson - Kelshaun Johnson, Andrew Marsh
    - Gideon - Jonah Williams (although likely OU/Aggie battle)
    - QBs - Milwee in Saraland; 
    - Texas had three coaches at Duncanville, watching Keelon Russell (Jackson, Banks, Milwee)
    - Milwee - Dia Bell May 20th, then Troy Huhn May 22nd
    - Bell and Huhn Texas Elite camp June 1st;  that may be when the Texas '26 QB is decided
    - (Btw, Gerry has repeated this several times, including how Lacey committed at this camp last year.)
    - As of Thursday, this was the only visit these two QBs had set up, so could be waiting on Texas
    - Bell - also likes Penn State and LSU, and perhaps Alabama
    - Huhn - picked up offers from Clemson, Arky, FSU perhaps
    - Texas really wants Kaden Finley (Jermichael Finley's son)
    - Texas legit shot with Myron Charles ('25 DT out of Florida)
    - Texas would take Kevin and Jordan Coleman right now, and Texas leads for them
    - Kevin Wynn visiting June 14-16th;  Texas has a legit shot.  FSU/SC 1/2, Texas/GA 3A/3B (but never visited Texas);  Kirby doesn't want Texas to get traction in GA, especially OL/DL;  tougher with Kirby than with Mark Richt
    - Best 4 D-tackles (viewer question) - Gerry:  Texas is absolutely on the right guys.  Will have to hit on 50% of the guys they're bringing in for visits.  Says ordering them is tough, but 6 are in a different category - Brandon Brown, Derry Norris, Myron Charles, Kevin Wynn (calls him Kevin Greene … prophetic?), Zion Williams, Josiah Sharma.  Says if we get three, then will #4 be a "developmental" guy like DJ Sanders …  or Chace Sims, or someone else.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, Getafix said:

- Gideon/Joseph - Caleb Chester, Kade Phillips; Chris Jackson - Kelshaun Johnson, Andrew Marsh
    - Texas had three coaches at Duncanville, watching Keelon Russell (Jackson, Banks, Milwee)
    - Bell and Huhn Texas Elite camp June 1st;  that may be when the Texas '26 QB is decided
    - (Btw, Gerry has repeated this several times, including how Lacey committed at this camp last year.)
    - As of Thursday, this was the only visit these two QBs had set up, so could be waiting on Texas
    - Kevin Wynn visiting June 14-16th;  Texas has a legit shot.  FSU/SC 1/2, Texas/GA 3A/3B (but never visited Texas);  Kirby doesn't want Texas to get traction in GA, especially OL/DL;  tougher with Kirby than with Mark Richt
    - Best 4 D-tackles (viewer question) - Gerry:  Texas is absolutely on the right guys.  Will have to hit on 50% of the guys they're bringing in for visits.  Says ordering them is tough, but 6 are in a different category - Brandon Brown, Derry Norris, Myron Charles, Kevin Wynn (calls him Kevin Greene … prophetic?), Zion Williams, Josiah Sharma.  Says if we get three, then will #4 be a "developmental" guy like DJ Sanders …  or Chace Sims, or someone else.

me right now:

matt damon waiting GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

44 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Much like Jonah Williams, I am rooting for another school to take DJ Sanders. Yikes.

Anybody else heard that Dorian Brew is really liking Texas? Is this something that is known and I just didn't pick up on it somehow or is this just a ploy to drive up Ohio State's final offer?

His dad is from Houston and went to Klein High School. Here's a video of his dad coming in third in the 400m at the Athens Olympics. This was a 1-2-3 USA sweep.

• Hook 'Em 1

That's that Columbian uncut shit right there. My body is ready.

1 hour ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Anybody else heard that Dorian Brew is really liking Texas? Is this something that is known and I just didn't pick up on it somehow or is this just a ploy to drive up Ohio State's final offer?

His dad is from Houston and went to Klein High School. Here's a video of his dad coming in third in the 400m at the Athens Olympics. This was a 1-2-3 USA sweep.

He's liked us since Junior Day. No real mystery there.

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

He's liked us since Junior Day. No real mystery there.

Isn't Brew the one who was supposed to announce to Ohio State a few months ago because he lived in Ohio for some time?  Maybe I'm getting my wires crossed.

Looking at that video of his dad in the Olympics, he was a pretty big guy for a 400 meter runner.

3 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Isn't Brew the one who was supposed to announce to Ohio State a few months ago because he lived in Ohio for some time?  Maybe I'm getting my wires crossed.

Looking at that video of his dad in the Olympics, he was a pretty big guy for a 400 meter runner.

Yeah, he was all set to do it and then pushed after he visited us.

• Hook 'Em 1