Saturday, January 29th, 2022- Rick Barnes returns. Texas hosts Tennessee

shadow_operative

Just now, JerrysJheriCurl said:

Defense… no complaints. 
Didn’t like getting into the bonus that quick though. 
Cunningham knows where to be and does a lot of the dirty and unseen work well. Kinda dig his game. 

Did you have any compliments? 

Heck, with all the missed front end one and ones, those fouls were like Tennessee turnovers.

1 minute ago, Brian Fantana said:

Tennessee looks just as frantic, sloppy, and terrible on offense as I remember them a couple months ago.

except the little French braid dude ain't workin it this game.

33 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

We need to run the offense through Askew. He is crisp and has much better vision than any other guard on the team.

No, that's absolutely ridiculous. He and Ramey are the two worst guards on our team by offensive efficiency. Askew shouldn't be playing more than spot minutes, and Ramey should be playing off the ball only. 

1 minute ago, Sal said:

No, that's absolutely ridiculous. He and Ramey are the two worst guards on our team by offensive efficiency. Askew shouldn't be playing more than spot minutes, and Ramey should be playing off the ball only. 

I don’t think we need to run the offense “through” him but he should be bringing the ball up court and getting our offense in sets. He’s the only ball handler we have and should be taking minutes from Ramey and Jones. Not saying he should be taking our shots or lead our team in mins but playing him at the 1 makes Marcus Carr so much better

Just now, Mo Horn said:

What a schizophrenic team. At times they look like they can be anyone in the country, and at other times they look like they couldn't team take the little sisters of the poor. 

I can't think of another team like that. Oh wait, pretty much all of them. Many way worse than Texas. Try following Alabama. There's a true Jekyll and Hyde.

The consistent thing with this team is defense. The times when I'm going to get truly frustrated are like the KSU game when they gave up dribble drive baskets over and over and again. That simply can't happen. The offense has rarely looked smooth. Anyone expecting it to, especially on some kind of consistent basis, has not been paying attention.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Sal said:

It's obvious to me that Askew has been asked to pass first, second and third and shoot only if everything breaks down. He does the distribution part quite well and isn't bad when he decides to shoot. Coach needs to ask him to shoot more. 

My favorite part in the first half was when Fran was comparing that Tenn player from Uruguay to Ginobili. 
I mean both countries drink Yerba mate, have hot women and pretty similar flags…
But Manu is Argentine.

Close enough I guess.

220…221… whatever it takes. 

Edited by JerrysJheriCurl

6 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

I don’t think we need to run the offense “through” him but he should be bringing the ball up court and getting our offense in sets. He’s the only ball handler we have and should be taking minutes from Ramey and Jones. Not saying he should be taking our shots or lead our team in mins but playing him at the 1 makes Marcus Carr so much better

He can be like what TJ was for us - not a great scorer but amazing at finding open guys.

1 minute ago, UTEE97 said:

He can be like what TJ was for us - not a great scorer but amazing at finding open guys.

Well I wouldn’t go quite that far. TJ was one of the quickest players in college basketball history on the dribble and offered plenty of scoring. Askew can be a true PG for us though which is what this team needs. Carr can’t be that.

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

By what metric? Carr is the least efficient scoring wise between him Ramey and AJ. 

By both Torvik and Evan Miya, Askew is a below-average offensive player. They're mixed on Ramey, but that's probably because he shoots it so well. His passing and ball control stats aren't good. Carr is also seen in a similarly mixed way, with bad shooting stats but the best assist rate on our team. The guards all commit way too many turnovers. 

Torvik likes Allen as by far our best player, with Jones, Carr, and Mitchell tied for second. Evan Miya interestingly prefers Christian Bishop, followed by Jones, Allen, Carr, and Mitchell. Disu has disappointed so far this year but is the best player on the team for blocks and defensive rebounding. 

Bottom line: We will have to figure out how to put the pieces together or have more players elevate their game. We fit together better as a fantasy basketball team without enough overlap in skill sets. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

It's obvious to me that Askew has been asked to pass first, second and third and shoot only if everything breaks down. He does the distribution part quite well and isn't bad when he decides to shoot. Coach needs to ask him to shoot more. 

Has he been asked to do that, or is that his natural inclination? I know it's not, but it feels like half his shots are when the shot clock is at 2 seconds and he doesn't have a choice. And every time he looks smooth as hell. Then there was the TCU game where Beard had Askew hold the ball for the last shot at the half, where the instruction seemed to be, "It's all you, baby."

I don't think it's clear what the instructions are for the players on the offensive end, to be honest. Which many times is part and parcel with the frustration.