Formula 1 2022

Anton Chigurh

3 hours ago, ConferenceRoom said:

The Race seems to be the place to go for an actual lap count. 

https://the-race.com/f1-testing-2022-barcelona-day-1/

Yep. It's amazing. All these sites put up testing pages that tell you everything except probably the most important stat - lap counts. Every year, we have to search to find that one site that actually provided them.

Remember the photo Rossi tweeted out just before the USGP? He had made a detour to Andretti's offices en route to Austin and made a point of posting a photo of him and Michael there. IMHO, the writing has been on the wall since then.

Alpine could be open to supporting Andretti in F1 if needed https://racer.com/2022/02/21/alpine-could-be-open-to-supporting-andretti-if-needed/

33 minutes ago, wood said:

Remember the photo Rossi tweeted out just before the USGP? He had made a detour to Andretti's offices en route to Austin and made a point of posting a photo of him and Michael there. IMHO, the writing has been on the wall since then.

Alpine could be open to supporting Andretti in F1 if needed https://racer.com/2022/02/21/alpine-could-be-open-to-supporting-andretti-if-needed/

Not too surprising. Alpine/Renault desperately needs a customer team to gather more data. It’s also just a terrible look that no one wants their engine. 

Some interesting tweets from reporters at the track. Also sounds like Alfa Romeo and Haas have had a rough time and are way down on laps compared to everyone else. 

https://twitter.com/JoostNederpelt/status/1496510798428000261

”What stands out on the straight here: Some of the cars are very bumpy. Especially the Williams, but also the Aston Martin and the Alpine. On the Aston, it disappears when DRS is open. Red Bull stable, right up to the braking zone. Ferrari, Merc and AlphaTauri don't bounce at all. #F1”

The packaging on the Merc engine is absolutely insane. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

Yep. It's amazing. All these sites put up testing pages that tell you everything except probably the most important stat - lap counts. Every year, we have to search to find that one site that actually provided them.
Why didn't everyone run today? Looks like Danny, Checo, Zhou all didn't go.

3 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
1 hour ago, wood said:

Why didn't everyone run today? Looks like Danny, Checo, Zhou all didn't go.

It's because in testing some teams alternate drivers by the day, while others change drivers between the morning and afternoon sessions.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, wood said:

Looks like Squidward, after running over Spongebob.

squidward-character-web-desktop.png?heig

You take that back about that beautiful Williams. You meant to say it looks like Brad Pitt or Halle Berry.

Pardon my ignorance on F1. So far the only thing I know of F1 is whatever they showed on Drive to Survive.

I'm confused about the evolution of some of the teams... can someone help me out?

• Force India became Racing Point, which then became Aston Martin? 
  • Renault became Alpine
  • Sauber became Alfa Romeo

Did I get that right?  If so... how come Renault/Alpine is now sporting the same pink livery that Racing Point used to have?

2 minutes ago, Superhero said:

Pardon my ignorance on F1. So far the only thing I know of F1 is whatever they showed on Drive to Survive.

I'm confused about the evolution of some of the teams... can someone help me out?

• Renault became Alpine

Did I get that right?  If so... how come Renault/Alpine is now sporting the same pink livery that Racing Point used to have?

So I learned the other day that liveries are heavily influenced by the sponsor. In this case, BWT used to sponsor that ugly-ass pink Racing Point cars. Now they are sponsoring Alpine, and they want their company color on the car. Same reason Mercedes has a teal stripe due to Petronas.

3 minutes ago, Superhero said:

• Renault became Alpine

You're correct.  The pink comes from BWT which was the primary sponsor of Force India/Racing Point but is now sponsor of Alpine starting with this season, they require the team they sponsor to incorporate their pink color into their livery 

• Hook 'Em 1

56 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

So I learned the other day that liveries are heavily influenced by the sponsor. In this case, BWT used to sponsor that ugly-ass pink Racing Point cars. Now they are sponsoring Alpine, and they want their company color on the car. Same reason Mercedes has a teal stripe due to Petronas.

Thanks.

55 minutes ago, justinjc7 said:

You're correct.  The pink comes from BWT which was the primary sponsor of Force India/Racing Point but is now sponsor of Alpine starting with this season, they require the team they sponsor to incorporate their pink color into their livery 

Makes sense.

I'm surprised that Renault/Alpine ditched the Renault yellow altogether.

The other fallout from Russia starting a war is that Uralkali may not be able to continue as a sponsor, which would mean Mazepin loses his seat and Haas has to find a driver with enough SL points and huge backing or they might not be able to afford operating, which could open the door for Andretti/Herta. That all seems a little bit of a stretch but it sure would be a fascinating twist to the season. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, wood said:

Merc & a couple of others apparently suffering with porpoising issues so far.

Supposedly Ferrari was struggling with it less than most, yet this is what it looks like for them. Seems pretty bad, and I believe the regs restrict what teams can do with suspension to address it. I expect most teams will have some solutions figured out by Bahrain, but this could be an unexpected differentiator between the teams 

https://twitter.com/F1/status/1496888665431326726

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

The other fallout from Russia starting a war is that Uralkali may not be able to continue as a sponsor, which would mean Mazepin loses his seat and Haas has to find a driver with enough SL points and huge backing or they might not be able to afford operating, which could open the door for Andretti/Herta. That all seems a little bit of a stretch but it sure would be a fascinating twist to the season. 

Haas have already removed Uralkali from their twitter page. Maybe they can pull a 'sponsorship' from William Storey & Rich Energy lol.

Fuck Haas. If you lie down with dogs ...

I guess Mazespin's gonna have visa issues. Fuck him, too.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1