Formula 1 2022

Anton Chigurh

On 3/27/2022 at 2:20 PM, aggie08 said:

Honestly, I completely tune out all driver radio at this point. It's all always just some variation of, "The guy in front of me is being unsporting in a manner that I would never dream of being! Somebody do something!"

Este.

On 3/27/2022 at 4:59 PM, Hawndoh said:

I don't begrudge anyone leaving a team run by Horner. I wish Ric could have landed in a better situation than Renault. That ended up being unfortunate.

F1 is like that though. Alonso has had multiple unfortunate team changes. It's not a spec series, so politics, budget, and luck are just as much of the overall equation as driver skill 

Yep. None of 'em have a crystal ball. When it comes to top drivers getting into the right car to win championships, it's just mostly luck. Even when they have a good idea about what their team or one they're considering can do, they still have no way of knowing what everyone else will be able to do in that same time period. Alonso is a perfect example. When he went to Ferrari, nobody was saying it was a bad move. But now with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight, people say he made poor decisions. People said he shouldn't have left Ferrari for McLaren, but Alonso wanted a winning car and knew he wasn't getting one anytime soon at Ferrari. He rolled the dice on McLaren, likely knowing full well it was a big gamble, and it didn't work out. Still, in terms of championships, he was no worse off there than he'd have been if he'd stayed in Maranello.

Most years, there is one elite driver at the quickest team. Unfortunately, there are multiple elite drivers on the grid who won't get a chance to win.

On 3/27/2022 at 8:48 PM, dieucla98 said:

Checo deserves the #1 seat somewhere. He's likeable, not a bitch, and has serious racing skills. If he wasn't with RBR and relegated to being a prop for Max and Horner, he'd probably be near my favorite. 

I'm pretty vain though - I like Sainz because he loves golf. 🤷‍♂️

And from what I here he's good enough he probably could have played pro.

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

Ed Sheeran for USGP concert?  With Green Day opening?  Wow, none of that makes any fucking sense.  But hey---we're getting a roller coaster! 

28 minutes ago, ConferenceRoom said:

I've never seen any rhyme or reason for COTA's musical act choices during the grand prix weekend. 

I think they tend to make a lot of sense, when you understand they're trying to increase overall numbers to get that sweet, sweet state subsidy money.  They're not looking for bands that appeal to F1 fans, they're looking for bands that bring out a different audience, especially on the Saturday nights.  That's why we tend to see the big pop acts like Taylor Swift, Justin Timberlake, and Ed Sheeran, on Saturday nights.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Just now, ChickenSandwich said:

Assuming the RV lot is sold out?

I wouldn't assume that.  They have a lot of flexibility using Lot N.  And they can overflow to Lot L.  In 2021 they sold a LOT more of Lot N as camping, compared to prior years where they left big chunks of it as daily parking.

Unless you're talking about the premium RV parking along the back straight.  I assume all of those sell out to the very wealthy and large corporate interests well before any tickets actually go on sale. 

17 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I think they tend to make a lot of sense, when you understand they're trying to increase overall numbers to get that sweet, sweet state subsidy money.  They're not looking for bands that appeal to F1 fans, they're looking for bands that bring out a different audience, especially on the Saturday nights.  That's why we tend to see the big pop acts like Taylor Swift, Justin Timberlake, and Ed Sheeran, on Saturday nights.

I get the appeal, just that a mellow singer-songwriter act, no matter how popular, is just a curious genre choice after a long day of loud racing in the sun.  

7 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I get the appeal, just that a mellow singer-songwriter act, no matter how popular, is just a curious genre choice after a long day of loud racing in the sun.  

Sure, but they're not even considering fit.  If anything, they're going the opposite direction.

They'd be delighted to see all of the "loud racing" fans leave, and completely exchanged for "mellow singer-songwriter" fans, as long as that group is large and willing to buy tickets.  And Ed Sheeran is currently one of the most popular acts in the world and they're counting on him bringing his own audience.  

I have no idea whether or not he's currently on tour, but another thing they've tended to look for, is those large acts that aren't actively on tour.  For Taylor Swift, that was her only live performance of the year, so it was  complete slam dunk for COTA to schedule her.  I think it was similar for JT.

Edited by utee94

27 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I wouldn't assume that.  They have a lot of flexibility using Lot N.  And they can overflow to Lot L.  In 2021 they sold a LOT more of Lot N as camping, compared to prior years where they left big chunks of it as daily parking.

Unless you're talking about the premium RV parking along the back straight.  I assume all of those sell out to the very wealthy and large corporate interests well before any tickets actually go on sale. 

Checked online through COTA and show both “dry camping” and “premium rv “ as sold out. Maybe more will open at a later date?

Edited by ChickenSandwich

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

Ed Sheeran for USGP concert?  With Green Day opening?  Wow, none of that makes any fucking sense.  But hey---we're getting a roller coaster! 

Green Day on Friday. I'll go see that. Cheap, too. Only day I'll be there.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, wood said:

Green Day on Friday. I'll go see that. Cheap, too. Only day I'll be there.

Yup, I'm excited about Green Day.  All these years and I've never seen them live.

My wife likes Ed Sheeran so I'm sure she'll be glad to hear the news.

For me all of these are free concerts since I'd be there anyway.

Update on team developments: 

-RB is supposedly 8 kg over the limit and will be down to the limit by Imola, which should give them about 2 tenths per lap

-Merc is bringing a new floor to Australia that may help some but the porpoising issue will still be big. Their major upgrades are coming for Imola and Barcelona, so we should know if they’ll have a chance at the WDC and WCC by Barcelona. If they’re not up at the front by then, then the season will likely slip away. Apparently Merc thought their porpoising would get better for Jeddah because it’s a smoother track, but it was actually worse, which is frustrating for Merc bc they’re still struggling to understand it. James Allison said the cause of the porpoising is different than what the media says. Scarbs takes this to mean it’s more of a suspension problem than aero, but others have also speculated that the Merc’s slim design means they have a higher center of gravity than other teams, which could be making the porpoising more of a problem for them than other teams. 

-Ferrari basically hasn’t brought any upgrades all year, as Binotto has said the focus is to fully understand their car first. Theyre supposed to have a big upgrade by Imola, including reducing weight by 3 kgs to get to the minimum and a new floor that should help with porpoising. They still porpoise a lot more than RB, so they need to get on that. Some have speculated they opted for more wing DF in Jeddah bc they knew porpoising would get worse if they went for low wing DF, more top speed. 

So it really seems that we should start to have a good idea of the teams’ pace moving forward by then. With Ferrari and RB being so close right now, one big jump from either could totally change the outlook of the season and who knows where Merc will be after their big upgrades.  

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

All that is about what I have read, as well.

+ new likely new wing for Merc at Oz
+ rumors that Merc is also a little overweight and is working to reduce it

Think that’s it.

I’ve never followed F1 during new regs, but it’s crazy how tenuous everything feels. We know the clear order of the teams for now, but that could all be turned on it’s head in about a month and then you could have another big shift after the summer break.  It’s even more drastic when you consider the season is 23 races instead of 16ish like it used to be. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 1

I’ve never followed F1 during new regs, but it’s crazy how tenuous everything feels. We know the clear order of the teams for now, but that could all be turned on it’s head in about a month and then you could have another big shift after the summer break.  It’s even more drastic when you consider the season is 23 races instead of 16ish like it used to be. 

Yep, and so much happens from the beginning of the season to the end, that by the end you almost forget what the hell happened at the beginning.

53 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

I wonder how much a corner balcony room at Cosmo will be that weekend.

I suspect those rooms were booked long before the announcement, by F1, or held back for sponsors/teams/oligarch type money.

Also, the governor said at the presser last night they were expecting half a billion economic impact for that weekend.  Honestly, I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see it more than that.  Room rates, even at places like Rio, are going to be outrageous.  And then you add in dining, gambling, drinking...it goes on and on.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

I suspect those rooms were booked long before the announcement, by F1, or held back for sponsors/teams/oligarch type money.

Also, the governor said at the presser last night they were expecting half a billion economic impact for that weekend.  Honestly, I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see it more than that.  Room rates, even at places like Rio, are going to be outrageous.  And then you add in dining, gambling, drinking...it goes on and on.

great point, not like this is some shocking announcement out of LF

1 minute ago, ConferenceRoom said:

Vegas GP will be the first race held on a Saturday in 38 years. 

8lxopc6pqnq81.jpg?width=768&auto=webp&s=

very interesting

Race starts at 10 PST, so midnight for us and 1 AM EST. So much for all the Euros whining about them doing this race to pander to their American audience. 

Supposedly F1 is the race promoter for this event, so they’re just seeing massive dollar signs for this. 

Really? They are going to start this at 10pm Vegas time? Wow.

Race starts at 10 PST, so midnight for us and 1 AM EST. So much for all the Euros whining about them doing this race to pander to their American audience. 

Supposedly F1 is the race promoter for this event, so they’re just seeing massive dollar signs for this. 

Ah, yes. The “The Formula 1 Las Vegas Formula 1 Grand Prix”.

1 hour ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

$500M in Vegas? That really puts COTA's $700M claims into perspective.

Ummm WTF….

So yeah I won’t start drinking til 10pm so I don’t pass out by fucking midnight.
  • Haha 1