Formula 1 2022

Anton Chigurh

Did they lose the plane? 
On Sunday we had a mechanical failure. Rescheduled for yesterday at 12:25. Then delayed to 3:45. Then delayed to 5:00. Then delayed to 6:15. Then delayed to 7. Then delayed to 8:15. Then canceled. Airport staff know nothing, they are in the dark.

Our flight for today was supposed to go at 5:35. Just got a text that it is delayed to 6:15. I can't take much more of this shit.

It's probably actually staffing shortages being called "mechanical issues". Fingers crossed our Europe trip next month doesn't get fucked. Some people need to get off their asses and get back to work, in every sector.

27 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

On Sunday we had a mechanical failure. Rescheduled for yesterday at 12:25. Then delayed to 3:45. Then delayed to 5:00. Then delayed to 6:15. Then delayed to 7. Then delayed to 8:15. Then canceled. Airport staff know nothing, they are in the dark.

Our flight for today was supposed to go at 5:35. Just got a text that it is delayed to 6:15. I can't take much more of this shit.

Fuck man.  You can drive there faster than Air Canada will get you there.

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

I hope anyone flying Air Canada has better luck than we have so far. Been trying to get out of Denver since Sunday at noon. Still here. This is easily the worst fucking airline I've ever flown and it isn't close.

Supposed to go out this afternoon at 5:30 but I'm not going to get my hopes up.

Gulp. They've sent me adjusted schedules 4-5 times. The first time they scheduled me for a connection that departed before my first flight arrived.

Now, it's literally changing departure times from 11:35 to 11:38. But each time I get this email of "ACTION REQUIRED" to confirm the change. And given that I have something on Monday that I have to be back for, I'm not terribly hopeful.

It's probably actually staffing shortages being called "mechanical issues". Fingers crossed our Europe trip next month doesn't get fucked. Some people need to get off their asses and get back to work, in every sector.
We were on the plane, taxiing to the runway. Brakes locked up and we sat there for 2 hours as they tried to move the plane. Finally deplaned and walked across the ramp back to the terminal. It was definitely mechanical.

No idea what happened yesterday. We had a crew that was standing there with us. Nobody knew anything, even the pilots.

1 minute ago, Chewbacca said:

We were on the plane, taxiing to the runway. Brakes locked up and we sat there for 2 hours as they tried to move the plane. Finally deplaned and walked across the ramp back to the terminal. It was definitely mechanical.

No idea what happened yesterday. We had a crew that was standing there with us. Nobody knew anything, even the pilots.

Wow, that's weird. Probably some hydraulic issue. Strange that they don't just bring in another aircraft. There are typically reserves waiting for something like this.

Gulp. They've sent me adjusted schedules 4-5 times. The first time they scheduled me for a connection that departed before my first flight arrived.
Now, it's literally changing departure times from 11:35 to 11:38. But each time I get this email of "ACTION REQUIRED" to confirm the change. And given that I have something on Monday that I have to be back for, I'm not terribly hopeful.
Good luck...

30 minutes ago, kevwun said:

I think I would start looking for a different airline.  Is this a once a day direct flight from your airport to Montreal?

Yep, and sometimes the airline you're booked on will put you on a partner carrier, esp if you're sweet to the gate agent. Air Canada is affiliated with Lufthansa, United, and others.

Edited by wood

1 hour ago, wood said:

Strange that they don't just bring in another aircraft. There are typically reserves waiting for something like this.

no, not really.  maybe at a major hub but even then that's usually just swapping an AC that will be used later that day to the delayed flight and using the intervening time to fix the broken AC.  and denver ain't an air canada hub. 

airlines really don't want to put you on partner flights either.

Edited by elfenix

7 minutes ago, elfenix said:

no, not really.  maybe at a major hub but even then that's usually just swapping an AC that will be used later that day to the delayed flight and using the intervening time to fix the broken AC.  and denver ain't an air canada hub. 

Yeah I guess I'm just thinking of my dad talking about replacing a plane here and there when they had a big mechanical. They'd bring a plane from periodic maintenance back into the rotation and take the broken aircraft out - but that was when he was running the Continental maintenance operation at IAH, which was their hub.  I'm sure they have a plane they could fly in for the route to avoid it getting completely shut down for days, but maybe the bean counters in ops have decided the company will lose less money on it this way.

Edited by wood

Just now, wood said:

Yeah I guess I'm just thinking of my dad talking about replacing a plane here and there when they had a big mechanical. They'd bring a plane from periodic maintenance back into the rotation and take the broken aircraft out - but that was when he was running the Continental maintenance operation at IAH, which was their hub. 

and that was before airlines figured out how to sell every seat on every flight.  so there was also slack enough that replacing a 737-900 with an 800 wasn't a big deal.

We are flying Air Canada from IAH direct to YUL Thurs-Mon. These Air Canada stories got me worried!

We're sitting in the Lance Stroll 🙄 Grandstand and staying at the AC hotel downtown. Appears that hotel is close-ish to a metro stop, so hoping to just use the metro all weekend.

Make sure y'all fill out your ArriveCAN forms if you're going.

• Like 1

We are flying Air Canada from IAH direct to YUL Thurs-Mon. These Air Canada stories got me worried!
We're sitting in the Lance Stroll Grandstand and staying at the AC hotel downtown. Appears that hotel is close-ish to a metro stop, so hoping to just use the metro all weekend.
We are also in Lance Stroll GS.

We're sitting in the Lance Stroll Grandstand and staying at the AC hotel downtown. Appears that hotel is close-ish to a metro stop, so hoping to just use the metro all weekend.

I stayed in a different hotel really near there on a trip (not for the race), and the metro is super easy.

3 hours ago, faps said:

We're sitting in the Lance Stroll 🙄 Grandstand and staying at the AC hotel downtown. Appears that hotel is close-ish to a metro stop, so hoping to just use the metro all weekend.

We might be on the same flight coming back. Scheduled for 8:00 a.m. YUL-IAH.

12 hours ago, faps said:

WE GOT A LANCE STROLL SUPERFAN IN THE HOUSE, FOLKS. BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU SAY!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by NoName
  • Haha 1

Anyone who has been to Canada GP, how long does it normally take to get from the Metro station to the track? Took us 1.5 hours today for pit walk, but the bottleneck threre was the buses taking you to the pit. Those won't be there this weekend, but crowds will be much bigger.

PSA: Check your DVRs for this weekend.  ESPN's original schedule is all jacked up and doesn't match what I'm seeing on my on-screen guide (Spectrum)

Canadian Grand Prix

First practice - Friday, June 17 - 1.55PM - ESPNEWS. (doesn't show on on-screen guide)
Second practice - Friday, June 17 - 4.55OM - ESPNEWS (doesn't show on on-screen guide...WTF is OM?)

Third practice - Saturday, June 18 - 12.55AM - ESPNEWS (clearly not on at 12:55AM)
Qualifying - Saturday, June 18 - 3.55PM - ESPNEWS

Grand Prix Sunday (pre-race) - Sunday, June 19 - 12.30PM- ABC
Canadian Grand Prix - Sunday, June 19 - 1.00PM - ABC

• Hook 'Em 1

All Merc's whining could've just royally screwed them. FIA is putting out a new TD stating teams have to be under a certain vertical oscillation limit by FP3, otherwise they have to raise the ride height by 10mm, which would result in about a 1 second loss per lap. 

I think you mean the drivers from the driver’s meeting last Friday.

But yeah, it’s gonna hand the title to Red Bull.

47 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Anyone who has been to Canada GP, how long does it normally take to get from the Metro station to the track? Took us 1.5 hours today for pit walk, but the bottleneck threre was the buses taking you to the pit. Those won't be there this weekend, but crowds will be much bigger.

It was a steady flow across the bridge through the gates on the race weekend days. I don't remember it being bad on Thursday. After the race, though, take your time and enjoy the track because it bogs down at the station itself and you're in a line that feels like it's crawling. Get your picture taken with Salut Gilles and the Wall of Champions, yell at Brundle, and then walk the track. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

I think you mean the drivers from the driver’s meeting last Friday.

But yeah, it’s gonna hand the title to Red Bull.

I can't really blame the drivers.  Hamilton could barely get out of his car after the race on Sunday.

Edited by kevwun
  • Like 2

It was a steady flow across the bridge through the gates on the race weekend days. I don't remember it being bad on Thursday. After the race, though, take your time and enjoy the track because it bogs down at the station itself and you're in a line that feels like it's crawling. Get your picture taken with Salut Gilles and the Wall of Champions, yell at Brundle, and then walk the track. 
So maybe show up an hour before we want to be in our seats? Not looking to cut it super close, but also not looking to watch a lot of Nissan Sentra Cup, either.

On 6/14/2022 at 4:28 PM, Chewbacca said:
On 6/14/2022 at 4:24 PM, faps said:
We're sitting in the Lance Stroll emoji849.png Grandstand and staying at the AC hotel downtown. Appears that hotel is close-ish to a metro stop, so hoping to just use the metro all weekend.

We are also in Lance Stroll GS.

you have an 18.5% chance of not seeing the checkered flag.

38 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
2 hours ago, ConferenceRoom said:

So maybe show up an hour before we want to be in our seats? Not looking to cut it super close, but also not looking to watch a lot of Nissan Sentra Cup, either.

That would probably be a safe play. 

• Like 1

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.fia-to-introduce-measures-to-control-porpoising-in-the-interest-of-safety.68ksm55ASFylepFVUS4yGy.html

FIA to introduce measures to control porpoising in the interest of safety

Who does this help/hurt?  First glance, don’t like it, but I have to go back to the fact the porpoising is the fault of the FIA. The simulators and wind tunnels simply can’t reproduce the condition and they basically outlaw track time other than race weekend. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, ConferenceRoom said:

All of this. IIRC it took about an hour from when we got to the metro until we went through the gates at the track, including the metro ride and all the walking. Taking your time on the way out as CR said really helps, and it's a cool track to walk anyway. Typically I think they let you walk the whole track there, unlike most places. I did in 2010, but didn't try to in 2016. Also take a look at where Kubica hit the wall by the hairpin. The marks are still there.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.fia-to-introduce-measures-to-control-porpoising-in-the-interest-of-safety.68ksm55ASFylepFVUS4yGy.html

FIA to introduce measures to control porpoising in the interest of safety

Who does this help/hurt?  First glance, don’t like it, but I have to go back to the fact the porpoising is the fault of the FIA. The simulators and wind tunnels simply can’t reproduce the condition and they basically outlaw track time other than race weekend. 

Yeah with the new budget cap, imho they should reintroduce testing in and out of season - but regulated as an expense covered under the budget cap. Then the teams would have to decide how much of their budget to allocate to CFD, the tunnel, and testing, and how much of one or two they want to sacrifice in favor of the others. Could be very interesting imho.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Mittens said:

PSA: Check your DVRs for this weekend.  ESPN's original schedule is all jacked up and doesn't match what I'm seeing on my on-screen guide (Spectrum)

Thanks for the heads-up. Just checked the youtubetv guide, and it seems to be correct, if any of you have it.