Formula 1 2022

Anton Chigurh

7 minutes ago, NoName said:

not going to directly link the image but this is a bad look, not that the pique family cares obviously

kelly liking it is going to cause all sorts of shit for max too - she unliked it evidently but screenshots are out there (like this one)

https://old.reddit.com/r/formula1/comments/vmmxzt/rodrigo_piquet_instagram_post/

Yeah I just saw that. What in the actual fuck is wrong with the Piquet family.

• Hook 'Em 1

So saw all the responses from F1, Lewis, etc., but hadn't seen the clip.

Wow.

How many people are going to keep touching that wire before they realize it has electricity going through it? Guess what, maybe you could do that backward garbage in 1965. It should be pretty clear to everyone that it doesn't fly and hasn't for decades. 

Just now, wood said:

The sad thing is tht S/M is just a reflection of society, and it ain't pretty. S/M sucks because people suck.

Oh for sure.  Social media simply give a widespread voice to all of the idiots and aholes who previously, only would have been expressing their racist shithead opinions to people they know directly.

There are people out there trying to paint Max as a racist now, over asshole Piquet's comment and Kelly liking a post (which was originally in Portuguese, I think). So I guess they're ok with being held responsible for everything their father-in-law or spouse has ever said.

3 minutes ago, wood said:

There are people out there trying to paint Max as a racist now, over asshole Piquet's comment and Kelly liking a post (which was originally in Portuguese, I think). So I guess they're ok with being held responsible for everything their father-in-law or spouse has ever said.

it was in Portuguese, the screenshot floating around is the IG English translation

either way, Kelly liked it, the unliked it. it's gonna cause a shitstorm for Max that honestly he doesn't need at this point.

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, NoName said:

it was in Portuguese, the screenshot floating around is the IG English translation

either way, Kelly liked it, the unliked it. it's gonna cause a shitstorm for Max that honestly he doesn't need at this point.

Yeah that's what I thought. According to a Portuguese poster on another board, his take on Piquet's comment was that he used the word in a very derogatory, racist tone, but the post Kelly liked was Rodrigo's reference to a common affectionate usage of the same word. Not smart to like it, but at least she did retract it. I know I've liked tweets or IG posts and then took a second look and said "Nope" and unliked them. IMHO the focus should be squarely on Nelson. Fuck that guy.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Mittens said:

In other F1 racist news:

Context: apparently dropped an N-bomb during a live video game stream last week

Didn't some NASCAR driver do that a couple years ago?  I seem to vaguely recall hearing about that.

Check out this comment I just saw ...

Bring back hanging I think for racism and anyone who agrees with it but that’s just me and my free speech talking.

... so, based on his belief in freedom of expression, this guy says that anyone who expresses a racist thought or agrees with one should be hung. You can't make this shit up. 

How about this: If a team spends more than the cost cap they have to give that amount to every team that is below them in the standings, and they can all spend it outside the cap, or just keep it.

Personally, I think the small budget teams should not agree to anything. That would be a much more effective penalty in the long run.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, wood said:

Check out this comment I just saw ...

... so, based on his belief in freedom of expression, this guy says that anyone who expresses a racist thought or agrees with one should be hung. You can't make this shit up. 

They shouldn't be killed but they should face consequences that are a little more dire than what they're getting lately. It's a problem and it shouldn't be given room to grow. Kyle Larson PR'ed his way out of it and he shouldn't have. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ConferenceRoom said:

They shouldn't be killed but they should face consequences that are a little more dire than what they're getting lately. It's a problem and it shouldn't be given room to grow. Kyle Larson PR'ed his way out of it and he shouldn't have. 

I think there should be consequences. I just thought it was pretty difficult to reconcile the contradictory positions he was taking. 

Edited by wood

9 minutes ago, ConferenceRoom said:

Well, he was fired, and there's not anything more RBR can do to him, so I'd say that in this case you got your wish.

I loathe all forms of bigotry, but it's not against the law, and acting like it is, or should be, is a very dangerous path.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, utee94 said:

Well, he was fired, and there's not anything more RBR can do to him, so I'd say that in this case you got your wish.

I loathe all forms of bigotry, but it's not against the law, and acting like it is, or should be, is a very dangerous path.

I'm talking about Kyle Larson who is driving and winning in the NASCAR Cup series after going on an apology tour. There's something to be said for making amends and taking responsibility, but, in my opinion, once you cross that threshold of open racism or anything adjacent to it, you've forfeited your right to take advantage of any talents or skills you might have. That's not the America we live in, though. It remains to be seen what happens to Juri Vips. So far, yes, the world as he knew has ended. Hopefully it stays that way. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, utee94 said:

This is where I am. I dunno what the laws are like in Brazil or wherever Vips is from, but at least here you're allowed to say pretty much anything you want, no matter how reprehensible or disgusting. You are guaranteed free speech, not just freedom to say things people agree with. And of course you also have to live with the reaction to your comments. For me, it's enough to simply disagree with these morons. I don't need to ruin their lives and those close to them over it (not saying anyone here wants to do that either, but there are plenty out there who would). People can change.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, ConferenceRoom said:

I'm talking about Kyle Larson who is driving and winning in the NASCAR Cup series after going on an apology tour. There's something to be said for making amends and taking responsibility, but, in my opinion, once you cross that threshold of open racism or anything adjacent to it, you've forfeited your right to take advantage of any talents or skills you might have. That's not the America we live in, though. It remains to be seen what happens to Juri Vips. So far, yes, the world as he knew has ended. Hopefully it stays that way. 

I think if the guy is genuinely trying to atone for a terrible thing he said, then he shouldn't be deprived outright of his ability to make a good living. I also don't know how Larson used the word - playfully as so many of the kids do these days, or hatefully. I, for one, would prefer that nobody uses it, ever, regardless of their skin color, to avoid any possible misinterpretation of their intent.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, ConferenceRoom said:

26 minutes ago, ConferenceRoom said:

You said "they" so I thought you were referring to both Larson and Juri.  Juri has clearly been punished to the extent that he can be.  Larson, perhaps not.

I can understand the frustration and the desire for a pound of flesh, but at the same time, I'm not sure it's all that different than the hatred that leads people to bigotry in the first place.

JMO obviously, and any discussion beyond this probably belongs on a forum I refuse to frequent, so I'll go ahead and shut up about it. :)

• Hook 'Em 3

This is where I am. I dunno what the laws are like in Brazil or wherever Vips is from, but at least here you're allowed to say pretty much anything you want, no matter how reprehensible or disgusting. You are guaranteed free speech, not just freedom to say things people agree with. And of course you also have to live with the reaction to your comments. For me, it's enough to simply disagree with these morons. I don't need to ruin their lives and those close to them over it (not saying anyone here wants to do that either, but there are plenty out there who would). People can change.

The issue is that’s not the first time they’ve said racist shit. That’s the first time they got caught by the public. They are sorry they got caught. They are scum bags and deserve to lose everything.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

https://f1i.com/news/88073-montezemolo-accepting-hybrid-power-unit-era-mistake.html

Montezemolo: 'Accepting hybrid power unit era, my mistake'

Former Ferrari boss Luca di Montezemolo believes that in hindsight, the introduction of the 1.6 litre hybrid V6 turbo power unit era was a mistake.

The Scuderia's level of performance has suffered since the advent of hybrid engines in Formula 1, with Ferrari collecting just three wins, all achieved in 2015, in the past three seasons.

Montezemolo admitted he hasn't been surprised by Mercedes' utter domination of Formula 1, given the fact that the German manufacturer started working on the hybrid concept ten years ago!

"Niki Lauda recently confessed to me that Mercedes was working on it since 2007," Montezemolo told the Italian newspaper La Repubblica.

"That is why they were so adamant during the (rules) negotiations," he claimed.

With regard to the decision to steer Formula 1 into a hybrid era, the former Ferrari boss admits that supporting the change was a big mistake for the Scuderia.

"I made a mistake, yes.  But I felt that I could not put Ferrari in a position antithetical to progress. A fearful Ferrari could not be my Ferrari," he concluded.

• Rage+1 1

Pretty silly there seems to be no nuance or distinction between what Vips said, and what Piquet said?  At least it's not reflected in the public response.

Piquet, known to be combative and profane, used a diminutive modifier of a skin color when referring specifically to a black man, describing a antagonistic (racing) situation.  There was no ambiguity that he directed it at a person pejoratively.

Vips, a teenager playing a video game, blurted a fairly common expression (also literally the name of a Dr Dre song), not at any one in particular. 

Not a smart thing for him to have said, but not exactly evidence of racist intent either.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Pretty silly there seems to be no nuance or distinction between what Vips said, and what Piquet said?  At least it's not reflected in the public response.

Piquet, known to be combative and profane, used a diminutive modifier of a skin color when referring specifically to a black man, describing a antagonistic (racing) situation.  There was no ambiguity that he directed it at a person pejoratively.

Vips, a teenager playing a video game, blurted a fairly common expression (also literally the name of a Dr Dre song), not at any one in particular. 

Not a smart thing for him to have said, but not exactly evidence of racist intent either.

Yep. Definitely not a smart thing. There is a problem right now with mostly younger people getting the wrong idea that it's acceptable to use the term because it's so commonly and casually used in the music they listen to, etc (and I'm a big hiphop fan). I think they find that they can use the term with some people of color, friends, etc, without offending them, and that gives them a false sense of its acceptability - but then find out that it will offend others. I know many older black people (and whites like me) recoil at the common use of the word by some black performers of different genres, and among the younger set, largely because it de-stigmatizes the word to some extent. Like you saaid, there seems to be no distinction between saying a bad thing, saying a horrific thing, etc. It's just "You said a bad thing. You're done."

Edited by wood

The cancel culture loves to cancel people.  It amazes me that people in the spotlight give them ammunition.  That's a word I would never use in any conversation, public or private partly because I do see it purely as a racial slur and you know damned well that the cancel culture does as well.  The same goes for outdated and demeaning descriptions of Asian people, Hispanics, etc.

• Hook 'Em 1

Racing takes money to be competitive. Money requires sponsors. Sponsors don't like the optics when the driver in the car they sponsor drops racial slurs.

He wasn't necessarily fired for the slur. He was fired because the slur makes him a brand risk and could cut off sponsor money.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Hawndoh said:

Racing takes money to be competitive. Money requires sponsors. Sponsors don't like the optics when the driver in the car they sponsor drops racial slurs.

He wasn't necessarily fired for the slur. He was fired because the slur makes him a brand risk and could cut off sponsor money.

Correct, the whining about cancel culture here is silly at best. Offending the people who pay the bills has always been a good way to get fired. That has nothing to do with modern culture.

• Like 1

Corporate succumbs to the people.  In this case, there is a cultural problem when the people are a mob that are out for blood.

We make a distinction between aggravated murder and involuntary manslaughter; between a mob boss and a street pusher.

It is a problem when public opinion demands equal sentencing for all of them. 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Corporate succumbs to the people.  In this case, there is a cultural problem when the people are a mob that are out for blood.

We make a distinction between aggravated murder and involuntary manslaughter; between a mob boss and a street pusher.

It is a problem when public opinion demands equal sentencing for all of them. 

I was unaware of mass protests regarding Vips. Your post is exactly what I said this take was, silly. Trying to equate corporate sponsors not wanting to be represented by people who use racially charged terms with people being out for blood and then differences between degrees of homicide and organized crime. Again, silly. 

Edited by Huckleberry

It’s not silly at all. Without social media, streaming and people that want to get offended by everything these were not stories 15 years ago.  If it offensive?  Yes.  Would we know about it without the current culture?  Almost certainly not.  

10 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

I was unaware of mass protests regarding Vips.

What a "silly" bar to hurdle.

Are mass protests the determinant for malice?  Do you think Piquet had ill intent with his words? Are there mass protests against him?

Let's take the most popular fora on the internet, what is the tenor of the reactions there?

Trying to equate corporate sponsors not wanting to be represented...

Do you need to be explained why sponsors take the position they do?  Do you think I'm arguing about the action of the sponsor themselves?

by people who use racially charged terms with people being out for blood and then differences between degrees of homicide and organized crime. Again, silly. 

What's silly about the point about differences in motivation, damage, and needing to be thoughtful in reaction and judgement?

Do you personally think what he said was racially motivated, and what do you think is appropriate punishment for it?

Don't be fatuous, berry.

44 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Senior Piquet would get along with Senior Verstappen very well

Are there examples of Jos actually saying racist stuff?

...We all know he is a monumental asshole with a history of DV, general assault, and shitting all over his own kid in hopes of "making him better" - but come on, shit all over Jos for what he has actually done - he has said more than enough dumb shit to rip him over it.

47 minutes ago, NoName said:

Are there examples of Jos actually saying racist stuff?

...We all know he is a monumental asshole with a history of DV, general assault, and shitting all over his own kid in hopes of "making him better" - but come on, shit all over Jos for what he has actually done - he has said more than enough dumb shit to rip him over it.

Nope, no evidence of it to my knowledge. Im just saying that they match each other in the sense of being known assholes. Birds of a feather…

Juri, on the other hand, im not aware of any example of any even asshole-adjacent behavior. If the entirety of his history of offenses is once blurting an off-color phrase, without intent to demean a person or group on the basis of race, does that make him a de facto racist?  

Many people commenting on it say so. I think the complete lack of nuance on this topic is a dumb state of affairs. 

15 hours ago, kevwun said:

That post is a real bad look man.  You are pining for the days when people could say racist shit and not suffer any consequences.

No I am not and it wasn't intended to come across that way.  Are you disputing the fact that 15 years ago we never would have heard about these things?  It doesn't make them any less wrong but there certainly wouldn't have been the worldwide attention that happens today.

If every person in the world lost their job over something stupid they said or did the workforce would be drastically reduced.  So, was it a stupid, one time offensive and immature thing to say or is it what he believes and how he lives his life?  If it was the former is it worth ruining a career over or is he allowed to be chastised for what he did and move on with his life and career?  It seems that for Jips his employer chose the latter.

Edited by VABuckeye
  • Hook 'Em 2