Formula 1 2022

Anton Chigurh

59 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

If strategy pitted leclerc, wdc would be 181-165 or whatever instead of 181-147

And on top of that Leclerc has lost 2 PUs while Sainz has lost none. Shit strategy and shit luck. Leclerc would be leading WDC without horrible strategy and even just only one blown PU. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

39 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Fuck Ferrari. Bunch of got dam morons. 

Yep.  They cost LeClerc Monaco and now Silverstone.

Glad for Sainz.  Seems like a really good guy and he's obviously liked by the rest of the grid.  It's funny how relaxed the cool down room was without Verstappen in there.

Just caught up and finished this.

Wow.  Just, wow.

So many incredible things, thank you halo, glad Sainz and Ferrari won.  Fred with a great day too.

I give drive of the day to Lewis though.  Some seriously sick moves.

Great race, this is why we watch.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Not sure. I think possibly the damage to Leclerc's front wing, the damage to Perez's front wing, and Verstappens damaged floor created a much more competitive situation than maybe it would have been otherwise. 

But whatever the reason the two Ferraris, Perez and Hamilton put on a great show after the safety car.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hawndoh said:

Not sure. I think possibly the damage to Leclerc's front wing, the damage to Perez's front wing, and Verstappens damaged floor created a much more competitive situation than maybe it would have been otherwise. 

But whatever the reason the two Ferraris, Perez and Hamilton put on a great show after the safety car.

The Mercs are getting better.

46 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

The Mercs are getting better.

They are, but they have gone from a tick faster than the mid field to a tick behind Ferrari. The trajectory is good for them though and they definitely should be able to compete at tracks that suit them

Be interesting to see what the enforcement of the floor deflection regs do. If that brings Ferrari and red bull just a bit back to merc we could be in for a lot more shit like the last 5 laps yesterday. 

That was some incredible racing. And to have 6 cars that could actually compete for 1st would be allsome

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, pops said:

Be interesting to see what the enforcement of the floor deflection regs do. If that brings Ferrari and red bull just a bit back to merc we could be in for a lot more shit like the last 5 laps yesterday. 

That was some incredible racing. And to have 6 cars that could actually compete for 1st would be allsome

Yeah just imagine if Russell had been in there mixing it up at the end.

But at least we had FRED playing that role.  

• Like 1

Finally watched quail and the race this am.

gladiator GIF

Yes, General. Very much entertained, thank you. That weekend was all kinds of awesome:

* Wet quali. 

* The clip of Seb driving Mansell’s Williams during the pre-race show…can we not get cars that sound like that again? 

* Thank God the Halo was designed and implemented. Another life saved. An incredible piece of engineering.

* Carlos finally getting a win. Genuinely happy for him, esp after his hard luck earlier this season.

* Lulz at whoever is running “strategy” over @ Ferrari. Carlos and Charles should be calling their own strategy going forward. 

* Checo from dead last to P2. Safety car came at the perfect time but a great recovery drive.

* The last 12 laps… incredible racing, and the stewards let them race. 

* Mick finally scores his first points. 

And a race next weekend. No waiting. 

Edited by Dutch
  • Like 4

Obviously the best race we've seen in quite a while, for all of the reasons already mentioned, but I wanted to add another and see if anyone else agrees:  The camera work.

I first noticed it on the L2 restart, just being blown away by how fast the cars looked on screen.  I've been following for years and been to multiple GP in person and was caught off guard by having that reaction to F1 on tv.  Several other times during the broadcast caught me as well, although I can't quite recollect which right this minute.

I don't know dick about how these races are filmed, and really only notice the production when the director is following a shit battle and/or missing a good one.  I'd be curious if there were different cameras, or a different production crew or director, or if anyone else had similar thoughts around just how fast the action looked yesterday.

1 hour ago, Mittens said:

Obviously the best race we've seen in quite a while, for all of the reasons already mentioned, but I wanted to add another and see if anyone else agrees:  The camera work.

I first noticed it on the L2 restart, just being blown away by how fast the cars looked on screen.  I've been following for years and been to multiple GP in person and was caught off guard by having that reaction to F1 on tv.  Several other times during the broadcast caught me as well, although I can't quite recollect which right this minute.

I don't know dick about how these races are filmed, and really only notice the production when the director is following a shit battle and/or missing a good one.  I'd be curious if there were different cameras, or a different production crew or director, or if anyone else had similar thoughts around just how fast the action looked yesterday.

F1 runs the production everywhere except Monaco, where the host won't relinquish those rights.

I remember the main feed missing some action yesterday - like blatantly miss it.  I like them doing the multi-cam inset (picture-in-picture style) towards the end of the race, so you could tune  into which battle you want.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Mittens said:

Just rewatched the last ten laps and was coming to mention this lol

The ground level fixed camera really showed the crazy speed and the flick like change of direction. You lose that with tight shots and overhead. Not all of their angles were the cars coming straight at them as well

Edited by ChickenSandwich

I’m just now seeing that Danny’s DRS was stuck in the open position and he had to pit so they could manually fix it to where he could no longer use it because they feared it would get stuck again. Also had 2 pits longer than 4 seconds.  McLaren is not helping Danny at all even though there’s enough blame for both sides, and because of this I think there’s a zero percent chance Danny comes back with McLaren next year. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

I’m just now seeing that Danny’s DRS was stuck in the open position and he had to pit so they could manually fix it to where he could no longer use it because they feared it would get stuck again. Also had 2 pits longer than 4 seconds.  McLaren is not helping Danny at all even though there’s enough blame for both sides, and because of this I think there’s a zero percent chance Danny comes back with McLaren next year. 
Sounds like Danny's contract says he will be back unless he chooses to not come back. The out is his, not McLaren's, according to ZB.

That said, this year has been an absolute disaster for him. Will he want to come back? I can't answer that one. Pato would love that seat and Danny might want to race Nascar with Kimi.

1 hour ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Just rewatched the last ten laps and was coming to mention this lol

Glad I wasn't imagining things.  Maybe it's just the angles available at Silverstone.  Will have to pay attention next year.

6 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

That said, this year has been an absolute disaster for him. 

I'm the King of Danielstan, but dude has got to produce something.  The car isn't a dog and he's a vet - figure it out.  What I don't understand is how he's not able to clear the midfield at all.  How he can't get into the points, at the very minimum, is a complete mystery.  Can't pass true midlevel, young drivers and can't help McLaren get in that "best of the rest" fight.  Huge bummer.

• Like 2

I'm the King of Danielstan, but dude has got to produce something.  The car isn't a dog and he's a vet - figure it out.  What I don't understand is how he's not able to clear the midfield at all.  How he can't get into the points, at the very minimum, is a complete mystery.  Can't pass true midlevel, young drivers and can't help McLaren get in that "best of the rest" fight.  Huge bummer.

Agree 100 percent. And I love Danny, too.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

Sounds like Danny's contract says he will be back unless he chooses to not come back. The out is his, not McLaren's, according to ZB.

That said, this year has been an absolute disaster for him. Will he want to come back? I can't answer that one. Pato would love that seat and Danny might want to race Nascar with Kimi.

Yep, that’s what I’ve seen as well. With the way it’s been with McLaren I don’t believe he’ll want to come back. You can see he’s not having a good time through that smile, which must be killing him. I just don’t understand why it’s not been better with him when the car has been fine. Even though it was rough at the beginning, Danny really started to get it in gear with Renault towards the end with ‘20 finishing fifth in points. Where did that driver go? The downhill turn seemed to quick in ‘21 with McLaren. 

To your other point, I can see that. But I haven’t been following F1 long enough to know what drivers do once they start to go downhill and look for other options. 

Yep, that’s what I’ve seen as well. With the way it’s been with McLaren I don’t believe he’ll want to come back. You can see he’s not having a good time through that smile, which must be killing him. I just don’t understand why it’s not been better with him when the car has been fine. Even though it was rough at the beginning, Danny really started to get it in gear with Renault towards the end with ‘20 finishing fifth in points. Where did that driver go? The downhill turn seemed to quick in ‘21 with McLaren. 

To your other point, I can see that. But I haven’t been following F1 long enough to know what drivers do once they start to go downhill and look for other options. 
Danny has #3 because of Dale. And he's Australian so he fits in well in the US. That's why i think he might go Nascar if he leaves F1.
  • Hook 'Em 1