Formula 1 2022

Anton Chigurh

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

If this quote is accurate, it sure sounds like Seb will be retiring at the end of the year. 

I would be interested to see if he took time off and came back after a season away or took a job with a team.

23 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

It's time.

Happy Formula 1 GIF by Aston Martin Cognizant F1 Team

13 hours ago, williemackgarza said:

Does nascar still show like 100 replays all from different angles of ea wreck in real time, no matter the severity?

usually can't actually see the person in the car dying in a closed car like nascar.   

On 7/10/2022 at 9:23 AM, RPM said:

21 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

e301161bfb2978d8d9b0ef272b8c8987.gif

Little did we know "Plan E" was "explode." About to zoom past Max then engine go BOOM. Last week aside, Carlos has had some rotten luck this year.  Ferrari seem to have the quickest car and would be leading both championships but for reliability issues.  

Checo going for it on the outside Turn 4 seemed a bit risky, esp on lap 1.

Midfield had some really good battles throughout the race. The new regs definitely seem to have enabled closer racing for longer stretches. 

Hard to know if that engine only had so many total laps in it or if it failed because of some other reason/combination of factors. Maybe it makes it through the GP on a regular weekend race schedule without the sprint, or maybe it goes hand grenade after an hour and half of hard racing regardless.

Bottom line is Ferrari reliability is shit … shocking!

• Rage+1 1

An Austria marshal posted this on reddit:

Hey Everyone!

Since I was on a post very close to where Carlos Sainz stopped. There are a few things I wanted to say.

1st: Please stop praising the photographer for that picture. He was blocking the fire marshals and everyone else and had to be told twice to make way and leave the service road.

2nd: Please stop with the judgement of the fire extinguisher scene. There was something placed under the tyre to stop it and the car rolled over it. The marshal who came with the fire extinguisher got the order through the radio to get the car with the big extinguisher. If you watched the scene further, he was driving the big black Hillux.

Just so everyone knows. I don't like what some people are writing since the man who is being criticized is one of the most experienced Marshals out there.

Thank you for reading and excuse my english, it's not my first language.

From an autosport poster who is a marshal in the UK, re: the marshal who sat down the extinguisher and turned back:

It looks like basically the first guy started to bring his bottle to the gap but got a radio message to fetch the truck with the bigger extinguishers, so put down his bottle and turned back.

It also appears that the trackside protocol they follow is somewhat more restricted than here in the UK - marshals are not allowed to go trackside without permission from RC - whereas, unless things have changed since I stopped, we would have been more proactive.

• Like 2

So the consensus is that the new cars are a home run, right? The racing so far seems phenomenal in the ability to have sustained battles over several laps and nose to tail racing. 

So the consensus is that the new cars are a home run, right? The racing so far seems phenomenal in the ability to have sustained battles over several laps and nose to tail racing. 

Minus the porpoising issues, yes. The next couple of races will be interesting With RedBull and Ferrari having to adjust their floors.

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

The concept is great imho and seems to be working very well to allow the cars to follow closely and race each other better. For me though, it won't be a home run until the cars are smaller and lighter, so they won't be pigs in slow corners.

51 minutes ago, Hawndoh said:

If only they could make the cars a bit smaller and lighter.

Keep the aero rules, lose the weight of the batteries and turbos, add two or four cylinders back in there, and make the cars shorter and narrower. That's what I'd like.

This. Vettel & Karun's (and others before them I'm sure) idea of V10s running on sustainable fuels solves the weight issue and allows for smaller cars, while demonstrating that sustainable fuels can work well even in old engine technologies ... and we get that glorious sound back.

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, wood said:

The concept is great imho and seems to be working very well to allow the cars to follow closely and race each other better. For me though, it won't be a home run until the cars are smaller and lighter, so they won't be pigs in slow corners.

Yeah, can you imagine these cars aero with a lighter, smaller footprint? It would be absolutely incredible. It’s crazy watching races from the 80s and 90s and seeing how nimble those cars were. They drove much more like decked out go karts, and allowed for much more creative overtaking, as opposed to recent cars, which pretty much require DRS overtakes or dive bombing a corner to get in the other cars way. The one exception would be some beautiful high speed corner overtakes like Leclerc on Hamilton at the end of Silverstone. 

I think my biggest frustration is that these cars are so big it means each race has only 1 or 2 true overtaking spots, so you just wait for faster cars to make the same overtake again and again. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 4

15 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

The sustainable fuel engines would be great, but you’d still lose the big manufacturers. I mean, I guess Ferrari would stay, but I don’t think Renault, Mercedes, Porsche, Audi, Honda etc. are going to want to really do that.

No, it won't happen, sadly, because the PU manufacturers get what they want and have sunk stupid amounts of money into a stupidly expensive and overly complex PU formula. I just think it would be great for the racing and the spectacle if it did happen.

OTOH, with a formula like this, you don't really need the big PU manufacturers anymore & wouldn't be so dependent on them for engines. That dependence is one thing the manufacturers wanted when moving to this PU formula, and is one of the things I hate the most about the formula. 

2 hours ago, Goofyboy said:

Minus the porpoising issues, yes. The next couple of races will be interesting With RedBull and Ferrari having to adjust their floors.

Didnt see that at all last race, which is cool. Or maybe track wasnt fast enough

On 7/10/2022 at 7:49 PM, VABuckeye said:

They didn’t replay Grosjean’s accident until he was safely out of the car.  Same with Zhou. It’s SOP if there’s an accident that looks bad. 

The coverage now seems really sanitized, compared to how I remember crashes and injuries being covered on American TV in the 70s and 80s. ABC's coverage of the Indy 500 routinely showed guys on fire and limp bodies hanging out of shattered racecars, replayed from every possible angle.

6 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

The sustainable fuel engines would be great, but you’d still lose the big manufacturers. I mean, I guess Ferrari would stay, but I don’t think Renault, Mercedes, Porsche, Audi, Honda etc. are going to want to really do that.

Porsche may not be so opposed 

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a39643783/porsche-carbon-neutral-e-fuel/

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

So Herta did enough testing the last few days to get a Super License, now this……

https://www.mclaren.com/racing/team/indycar-champion-alex-palou-join-mclaren-racing-2023/

Big hmmmmm.

Danny will be back in 2023, per ZB, but 2024 could be very interesting.  They are definitely building a bench of good young drivers.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Finally got a chance to watch.  Really glad for LeClerc and Ferrari, really disgusted with Ferrari on behalf of Sainz. Come on, man.

Alonso finger-waving with his car half on the grass is a highlight of the season for me.

And what McLaren has done to Ricciardo is disheartening.  Eff those guys.

And this is another week where I'm incredibly impressed with what Lewis has done in a non-ideal car.  I think this guy might be a pretty good racecar driver.

Oh and eff orange smoke.  Ridiculous.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

So yeah, looks like it will be a battle to see who gets the McL seat in 2024. I do wonder if Palou made the move solely because of a chance to get that seat, or if CGR did something he didn’t like. I know they (CGR) put out a statement with a fake quote from him, but at that point he had already signed with McLaren.

7dc7ac8d83249e0ae9cc364932b98264.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3

I just saw the analysis of the Russell and Perez incident. Once again Merc gets fucked with a penalty. RB does much worse on almost every corner pass and never takes a penalty. That one was redonkulous…

Yeah, we really need a rework of these rules, but it’s also a double edged sword. If you have set rules of engagement, they will be pushed to the edge and over and you get the racing to the apex block passes we have now (and I really don’t like this). If you don’t give blanket rules, then drivers kind of don’t know what is a penalty and what isn’t, but to be honest it has worked for decades until now, and it isn’t like they are enforcing the existing rules consistently anyway.

1 hour ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Yeah, we really need a rework of these rules, but it’s also a double edged sword. If you have set rules of engagement, they will be pushed to the edge and over and you get the racing to the apex block passes we have now (and I really don’t like this). If you don’t give blanket rules, then drivers kind of don’t know what is a penalty and what isn’t, but to be honest it has worked for decades until now, and it isn’t like they are enforcing the existing rules consistently anyway.

I won't say it worked incredibly well, but it worked much better when there was grass and gravel alongside the white lines. That ruled out a lot of what we commonly see now with paved runoffs. The tracks policed themselves, for the most part. The introduction of paved runoffs has introduced all sorts of shenanigans that wouldn't have happened before and didn't need policing, like track limits violations. Before, your penalty for track limits violations was instant and consistent, so unless you made a mistake, you just didn't do it.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, wood said:

I won't say it worked incredibly well, but it worked much better when there was grass and gravel alongside the white lines. That ruled out a lot of what we commonly see now with paved runoffs. The tracks policed themselves, for the most part. The introduction of paved runoffs has introduced all sorts of shenanigans that wouldn't have happened before and didn't need policing, like track limits violations. Before, your penalty for track limits violations was instant and consistent, so unless you made a mistake, you just didn't do it.

word.

Bring on the lava runoffs.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, DoneWithit said:

I told you guys Danny was coming back this whole time. Never a doubt

I don’t know that anyone ever really doubted it. Why would he voluntarily walk away from $20 million and an F1 seat when anything else he does will still be waiting for him in a few years? 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

I just saw the analysis of the Russell and Perez incident. Once again Merc gets fucked with a penalty. RB does much worse on almost every corner pass and never takes a penalty. That one was redonkulous…

The Rock Reaction GIF by WWE

basically every time it has happened, a penalty has been given. basically every time a penalty is given it is for 5 seconds.

the idea that there is some overarching hate of MB and the goal of the FIA is to fuck them over with a penalty after the last 8 years is a really bad take.

literally, in that situation a penalty is given every time and and it's 5 seconds.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I don’t know that anyone ever really doubted it. Why would he voluntarily walk away from $20 million and an F1 seat when anything else he does will still be waiting for him in a few years? 

My dumbass did, lulz.    

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Yeah, once I heard the decision was his and not McLaren's, I knew he'd be around.  He really wants to race in Vegas, too.

2 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Yeah, once I heard the decision was his and not McLaren's, I knew he'd be around.  He really wants to race in Vegas, too.

Yep. I think Zak’s statements and all the rumors thrown around was a way to try to push Danny to decline, but he was never going to do that. It definitely seems like McLaren is trying to line up all the brightest IndyCar stars to give one of them a chance in 2024. I don’t follow IndyCar super closely, but I’ve been really impressed with Palou every time I see him. I think he might be the best driver on the grid. Herta shows potential but seems way too inconsistent right now. 

2 hours ago, kevwun said:

The Red Bull Ring pretty much begs the drivers to run off the track with that ridiculous green zone.

Yep. COTA, too. Massive paved runoffs all over the place. 

46 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I’ve been really impressed with Palou every time I see him. I think he might be the best driver on the grid. Herta shows potential but seems way too inconsistent right now. 

My thoughts exactly.